Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Wow, spot on about the lack of counterattack opportunities, and here I thought I was doing something wrong. Oh, and if you do the "City of Lights" in the order it's unlocked, the game freezes in the 360 version, that brings down the quality of the game for me a few notches.

Failhammer

Dec 30, 2008
Ive been staying up till 4am (Australia) to see this, and was not dissapointed! Looking forward to more as the new year progresses.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
Brokkr said:
I think that this is the first ZP thread in a while that hasn't had the first 5 people banned for posting stupid stuff.
Yeah, they're thick but they'll learn eventually.

Happy new year folks.

RyuGaiden

Nov 20, 2008
I played it weeks ago and I found it to be a resounding "meh." The combat was truly awful in my opinion because since you can't die, it takes all the tension out of the combat at just makes it tedious.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
I really wish I could say this was a good review. Sadly I did not laugh once in it. I have not play the new PoP sence the 2 and 3 where bad. I felt the story has been decent. I just have not had hope for the new one. I very rarely find game worth playing after there first one. I should give a rental try. I just hope it not short like all game now a days are.

Alstan

Dec 5, 2007
What Yathzee said is pretty much what some friends told me. Anyway, I ordered the game online yesterday. In few days I'll post my veredict.

Happy new year everybody

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
O the irony, i only just got PoP this morning :D

Playing it all day and i think its quite epic, sure their american voices are F*CKING ANNOYING but thats why god invented MEDIA PLAYER!

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
I found it very ironic that everything you do in the game for the 12-15 hours I played it was mmph mumble mumble at the end in order to set up the sequel. I mean, when you beat the game on the PS3 version, an achievement called To Be Continued... pops up, which is kinda anticlimactic.

And was it just my game or did the music cut out every now and then? Breaks the immersion when the audio track skips and the same when an enemy yells at you AFTER they've already fallen off a cliff. Might be just the PS3 version.

However, a good point I'd like to mention is the option to kill the generic baddies in between areas without having to fight them. Provided you get there in time, you can skip the "Push X To Not Die" exercise altogether, which is enjoyable in that you get to continue with the freerunning.

And finally, in the words of the Prince himself, "Run, jump, die. Run, jump, die, I think I'm getting the hang of this."

DolphinWacker64

Jul 4, 2008
Another perfect review.
We all knew this was coming due to the many references to the prince of persia series being one of the few games that are accually good, so logically Yahtzee would want to clarify weather this one would be included into the magical goodness that has been going exstinct from this console generation.
Zero Punctuation is a pure, yet comedic, reviews that can spot the good in a new game.

I salute you, Yahtzee.

P.S.-I doubt Yahtzee will ever read this, but I believe some of the previous reviews were effected into a poorer light due to the console version. The Wii's Controls are unpredictable, the Playstation 3 rarely ever have any good games(Rachet and clank are the exception), and the 360 has the unexpected probability of blowing up or taking off as a compact jet engine.

I recomend that future reviews that deal with a console only verson game you use that console (If that wasn't already apparent), But any game that spans over multiple consoles should probably be played on the 360. Dispite the previously stated issues, I've come to understand that the 360 gives a general overview of the intended game play experience (the only issue is getting it to start up and stay in one piece).

But over all, Everything that Yahtzee says is pure gold that can be sold off to the highest bidder if you know the right people.

Fath Chigaru

Dec 31, 2008
oh, i was waiting for this one! C:

thank you for another great review! it was both funny and fair. though my own opinions often differ i always look forward to wednesday, and you didn't disappoint.

i'm easy to please, i suppose, because i've just started Prince of Persia and i think it's wonderful! i will agree that the old combat system was much better, but i don't hate this one.

anyway, happy new year~

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
I loved the Prince of Persia series half to death, so I was of course eagerly awaiting this new addition (with a little anxiety).
I was extremely disappointed, its like the hideous younger sister of your partner leering over her should every time you go to kiss.
Whilst there are some nice smoothey smoothey jumpy bits, it all falls apart when it comes to the combat and story line.
Its another case of the developers trying to milk as much as they can out of a great franchise when they so clearly must let it die at the peak of its life.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Brokkr said:
I think that this is the first ZP thread in a while that hasn't had the first 5 people banned for posting stupid stuff.
Yeah, and I was looking forward to that, too. Anyways, I actually liked the banter between Elika and the Prince. One of my main problems with PoP: The Sands of Time was that for the majority of the game the Prince was either completely silent or talking to himself.

Jul 9, 2008
Brokkr said:
I was about to point that out.
Jursa said:
The game was great aside from the combat, especially when the "only one type of attack allowed" comes into play and when the claw attack is the only choice you go to quick time event hell...
Those parts are easy once you master Deflecting. Of course, they deflect too, so I had a few fights that were basically "deflect, counter attack, deflect, counterattack, rinse repeat"
Ranooth said:
O the irony, i only just got PoP this morning :D

Playing it all day and i think its quite epic, sure their american voices are F*CKING ANNOYING but thats why god invented MEDIA PLAYER!
I agree. I loved the new PoP, minus their voices.
PumpItUp said:
I found it very ironic that everything you do in the game for the 12-15 hours I played it was mmph mumble mumble at the end in order to set up the sequel. I mean, when you beat the game on the PS3 version, an achievement called To Be Continued... pops up, which is kinda anticlimactic.

And was it just my game or did the music cut out every now and then? Breaks the immersion when the audio track skips and the same when an enemy yells at you AFTER they've already fallen off a cliff. Might be just the PS3 version.

However, a good point I'd like to mention is the option to kill the generic baddies in between areas without having to fight them. Provided you get there in time, you can skip the "Push X To Not Die" exercise altogether, which is enjoyable in that you get to continue with the freerunning.

And finally, in the words of the Prince himself, "Run, jump, die. Run, jump, die, I think I'm getting the hang of this."
I see what you're saying about the ending
It seems that people criticize this game for things that SoT does that no one cared about. For example, in SoT, time is reversed so that none of the game actually happened. In this one, Ahriman is reimprisoned then released. In both cases, its as if the heroes never acted.
damocles23 said:
I've looked forward to this but now i think i've changed my mind.Yahtzee is always great.
Dude, rule of thumb, don't take Yahtzee so seriously that you let him dissuade you from getting a game. If you look at his reviews as anything other than humor you're missing the point.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
I here him pointing out alot of faults but for some reason he is treating this game extra friendly. Not one of his best reviews...