Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia

Bootkiller

Master of Dimensions
Dec 27, 2008
A great review as always, it's nice to know that Ubisoft is still just a bunch of dumb pricks who take out the parts we actually like in a game, and add in pretty scenery to hide it.

Jul 9, 2008
iseko said:
I here him pointing out alot of faults but for some reason he is treating this game extra friendly. Not one of his best reviews...
Dude, I think he's being extra friendly because he actually like it, at least to an extent. He's entitled to like a game, isn't he?

FeliXtheCaT

Dec 3, 2008
Never was a big fan of pop. But hilarious review none the less, Yay for Yahtzee! keep up the awesome work!! ^.^

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The game is quite good if you just forget the combat although I was greatly annoyed by my American accent when I am supposed to be the Prince of PERSIA, a.k.a Iran and surroundings.

Although the platforming was too easy if you follow the laid out path it made for great fun when I started challenging my self. Say for example see if I could get to the other side without using the pillars and instead revert to wall running and using Elika´s double jump.

Sadly PoP is in a life threatening coma right now though and unless they bring back the mysteriously escaped developer who created the first Prince along with his sidekick and the great free running combat the franchise will have to be declared deceased after the next game.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I'm glad that he still admits the game has great parkour platforming and stunning visuals. I love the game, sure the combat is balls, but its not about the combat really, that's mostly an important device to advance the plot. (And yeah, the American accents annoyed me too)

Jul 9, 2008
Fightgarr said:
I'm glad that he still admits the game has great parkour platforming and stunning visuals. I love the game, sure the combat is balls, but its not about the combat really, that's mostly an important device to advance the plot. (And yeah, the American accents annoyed me too)
I agree.

Enosh_

Aug 27, 2008
a quite bad review with some things very wrong
maybe it's just beacose I own the PC version but I have never seen the game tell me when to block (except the QTE when you are nearly dead that gives you the chance to not start over the boss with 3/4 of it's health back), sure it has a lot of QTE but this one I didn't see. Beside the point of counteratack is to block at an exact moment so that the enemy is then open for further combos (of which there are quite a lot and I can't see how he misssed them since they are freking pointed out in the menu), but the interesting part is that all the atacks flow together in an awesome way, overall the game got an amazing flow since it isn't broken down by reloading at the last checkpoint, but each platform is basicly a checkpoint and the "loading" bar when you die is replaced by elika saving your ass.

and elika is probably one of the best new characters this year and the real hero of the new PoP, but then again that's just imo

yes the game is so-so, not "omg best game ever" but it is enjoyable and I had fun playing it.

oh and about the american accent: if I have to choose betwen a)american man/girl doing a very bad impression of an [insert relevant country here] accent or b)just plain english, I would take b any time. But then again I hate the various accents anyway (especialy the indian and russian one) and can't stand them in movies, tv or games except the italian-english one which is awesome

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Once again, my Wednesday has been made.

I haven't tried this latest Prince of Persia yet, though I played Sands of Time through GameTap and I played Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2 back when they were little more than platforming Karateka [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karateka_(video_game)].

That said, I've probably a pretty pure perspective on this latest take, and combined with Yahtzee's review I can come up with a simple definition: Severe Consolitus. All this button-mashing, googly-eyed Final Fantasy inspired graphics meshed with quasi-linear gameplay and cheap acrobatic tricks is undoubtedly tied to pleasing your average console player.

It'll probably sell unabashedly well in Japan. As for me, it's a big fat, "meh" and I think I'll wait a few years for it to hit GameTap. Meanwhile, me and the rest of the glorious PC master race will have to suffice for the irrational grindfest MMORPGs which are one of the few PC exclusive things left next to the benefit of mouse-driven real time strategy and first person shooter games.

ElegantSwordsman

Jun 17, 2008
Great review, you've saved me from feeling guilty about not renting this game now. Maybe if it really did have a magical Labrador in a low cut top...

ertxz18

Dec 24, 2008
Nice! Yahtzee liked the new Prince of Persia...sort of. Amazing review yet again!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Angels230292 said:
LOL!, thank god someone had to take the Prince of iraq down a notche .... and all his fans >:D
I'm not a fan of the "prince" formally known from Persia, i am however a fan of Geese, hence i'm outraged that the Geese populace (which i respect greatly) has been compared to guerilla warfare loving middle easterns*.

*totally joking, you greasy people sit on such lovely oil that my car needs, I love you really**.

**so does my Toyota

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
geldonyetich said:
It'll probably sell unabashedly well in Japan. As for me, it's a big fat, "meh" and I think I'll wait a few years for it to hit GameTap. Meanwhile, me and the rest of the glorious PC master race will have to suffice for the irrational grindfest MMORPGs which are one of the few PC exclusive things left next to the benefit of mouse-driven real time strategy and first person shooter games.
Or you can get it for the pc right now...

Also, mmorpgs have been on the consoles now for quite a while, with more coming

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Enosh_ said:
a quite bad review with some things very wrong
maybe it's just because I own the PC version but I have never seen the game tell me when to block (except the QTE when you are nearly dead that gives you the chance to not start over the boss with 3/4 of it's health back)
I to own the PC version and may I say that the game will display a nice sword and claw at the bottom constantly during combat that flickers brightly and says ´press right mouse button to block´.

And there is nothing wrong with QTE, unlike Yahtzee I don´t mind em that much but combat is ALL QTE, the rest just goes on attack, deflect, attack, deflect, till infinity. You can´t lend a blow without using something that will trigger an animated sequence in which you contribute nothing but slam buttons in the right order and when you get hit or knocked into a wall you are bloody drowned in them.

Once I was fighting the concubine and i wanted to see how i would fare without using the claw or Elika so I only used the sword and deflect. Wanna know what happened?

The game suddenly lasted longer why because my enemy deflected every single sword attack I threw at her and I did the same. It was a 15 minute blockfest that had me so bored and frustrated I could no longer continue and decided to go outside for a minute to cool my head in -5.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Inriri said:
Or you can get it for the pc right now...

Also, mmorpgs have been on the consoles now for quite a while, with more coming
I was not saying that it was yet to be released on the PC, just that a game developed with consoles in mind is generally not that satisfying to play on the PC so I'll wait for it to hit gametap.

Yes, I'm aware MMORPGs have been out on consoles for awhile now. Although they're generally pretty inferior to the typical PC/Mac MMORPG because they have to be stripped down to make use of a keyboardless interface. (Yes, there are keyboards you can buy for consoles, but not many players do.)