Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia

ertxz18

Dec 24, 2008
I thought the way they did they save-me system was pretty awesome. I mean I still counted it as a death, but without the loading screen, reloading game, more loading screens, LOAD LOAD LOAD! And then starting from far away so that one gamer will lose interest in the game. So the save-me system did help on keeping most gamers interested.
note: I said MOST, not all of them.

kezla

Jan 4, 2009
Just discovered this place thru someone linking to this very review on Digg, Ive been playin POP on PS3 for a couple of hours and must admit i do love it, its repetitive and frustrating in parts but beautiful, and i find the controls simple to use and the camera is pretty responsive too, nothing worse than drunk camera angles! I hold my hands up and admit im pretty useless at most games so appreciate the fact you can't die! I bought it for £20 in the play.com sale so for me, it was a bargain as i was pleasantly surprised with how much ive enjoyed playing so far. And those zero punctuation reviews are hilarious, look forward to more to help inform my choice of games in 2009!

angelblack

Jul 3, 2008
Well that was terribly predictable :\

Yahtzee, you have to understand. What happened to psychonauts was because noone knew you back then, you CAN like games nowadays and we give you permission to say nice things in a funny way.
There are totally valid points to complain about this game like the backwards combat system or the repetitive gameplay but you waste so much time complaining about useless things that noone cares about that it's half beside the bloody point.

Also, I believe the conversation between the main protagonists was very FUNny, as do a lot of my friends (aged 25-30 Europeans before you start going about america again). The fact that dialogs in games can't seem genuine anymore it's because YOU changed, it's not because games changed.

Also, that is a PERFECT description of a REAL LIVE woman. Giving her only one marking characteristic would make her like a cardboard cut-out. This adds depth and you get to hate and love Elika just like you hate and love snotty women today.

All in all, I agree. The game sucks: too repetitive and the combat is appalling. However, the story and the characters made me finish it and it is pretty much worth it. Not the best but eh, who's perfect? Except Colombo.

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
did the Australians get Gears 2 yet? LOL. While a Z.P. of GOW2 would be sweet, I still think Z.P. soothing his angry intellect on something distinctly chilled like FLOWER [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/12/ps3-flower-thatgamecompany.html] might reap even more critical rewards.

:)

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
I liked the comparison to a cat sliding down the living room curtains but that was about it. I've played Prince of Persia and not once did I ever even like it a tiny bit. The combat was boring and even with Elika's little Navi thing I still got lost.

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
Almost all games go bad after the 3 one. game creators milk good games for all their worth including the makers of PoP (prince of persia) the only game that has many aftermaths and are good are the halo series.

Manning2008

Jan 6, 2009
Great review Yahtzee! Loved it :), and it was pretty hilarious as well :)

Me, like you, am also a big fan of the original Sands of Time trilogy. And... I won't lie to you, I actually really loved this game :) I thought it was a great addition to a great franchise. lol but I will admit, the Prince and Elika did sound like they were straight out of New York :p But I liked they're dialogue. I thought they had good chemistry.

Only thing that I didn't like, was you never find out how he's the Prince of Persia! It's not that I didn't like it, but I thought they'd reveal it... oh well. Still a great game though.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Again, a very funny review! Since this is basically a recommendation I guess I'll rent this game and check it out. :)

But the intro-/extro-music is still TOO DAMN LOUD. Please, please reduce the volume!
To understand everything you're saying I have to turn my volume up and then I always get BLASTED away when the extro starts. Ouch!

spudpuffin

Apr 27, 2008
i was one of the few who enjoyed the combat in the game although he is right it does get repetitive after about 80 times!

Beery

May 26, 2004
sv93 said:
I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't like the new PoP. I thought it was really good.
Hmm. I guess you missed the bit when he said it didn't altogether suck. That's the best clue you'll get that a ZP review is positive.

Beery

May 26, 2004
angelblack said:
...you CAN like games nowadays and we give you permission to say nice things in a funny way.
Ordinary people can say nice things about games, but ordinary people's reviews are tedious. If Yahtzee ever gets tired of making his ZP reviews he'll start giving positive reviews and we'll stop reading them. Until then, people who can't deal with all the negative stuff really should read more Computer Gaming Monthly (where they'll find 100% positive reviews, if the game developer/publisher has purchased enough ad space) and leave ZP well alone.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Well that's the second time I disagree with Yahtzee even though it was a funny review. I liked the story, the gameplay even though I have never played the SOT trilogy. And even so, Yahtzee himself said that nothing said lasts forever. The time for change is here. Who knows, maybe he will like the second one. And to the ones that say that Elika stands in your way, well, you died a lot anyway in the trilogy I imagine, hence the rewind time technique. You want a challenge? Try the achievement or trophy that you have to die less than 100 times in the whole time.

Cogliostro

Jan 7, 2009
After having played some of the game and then seeing Mr. Croshaw's review, I have to lean more towards Mr. Croshaw.

What got me was the fact that PoP felt much like Sands of Time, but with things I liked replaced by amazing amounts of pwetty and a more cinematic combat system that comes off as sluggish and for me frustrating.

Sure, technically it's not BAD; but I shelve it away in my head under "Quaint Excursions" more than "Excellent Continuation of Series".

I think that an individual's view of the game will probably be just how much they dig that sort of thing.

Then again, if you can dig it then why worry?

Nezron

Sep 5, 2008
I still say that yatzee judged PoP abit harshly as i played the game and the story and gameplay work well with each other except for the fact that there will never be a death scene
:(