Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Nezron said:
I still say that yatzee judged PoP abit harshly as i played the game and the story and gameplay work well with each other except for the fact that there will never be a death scene
:(
It was said before, it's Yahtzee. That's why we love him for shedding some creative light on the game. Call them uninsightful - I call it creative.

Kadner

Oct 25, 2008
justdan said:
Actually, I'd have to say it is refreshing that the game faithfully reproduces the true schizophrenic nature of women. They are definitely going for realism these days!
what you mean by fighting the enemy for about 4 minutes before sucoming to boredom and just lazily flicking her wrist at the enemys whenever she has to..(just like the player after the repetative game play)

-bladerunner-

Dec 22, 2008
Um... Yahtzee you missed out the power plates which add an interesting fun dimension to the game. (If you ask me).

Avatist

Jan 7, 2009
Loved Sands of time/Warrior Within/Two thrones series.
But I have to say I really hated playing this game.
Biggest thing that pissed me off was the seed collecting. In a Prince of Persia game, I want to run around, kill stuff, jump off stuff, climb stuff, but I do NOT want to spend ten to fifteen minutes after every area looking around for fucking seeds.
Next was Elika. Decent side character, but I hated what she actually brought: No consequence for fucking up. It makes sense to have her save you if you fuck up while running around, but to have her unlimited saves so you'll never die is just stupid to me. I want there to be some consequence if I fuck up on an enemy, even if I fuck up running around. At the very least not have her power have unlimited charges.
Following Elika were the power plates: Truth be told, only the running power plate. The camera angle that followed when you were under the effect left you running almost blind most of the time, and the "hitbox" range on obstacles there were much larger than the actual object. There were many times that from my angle, there was no way I should have hit it, yet I still would.
Next was the actual combat, What was horrible was that even on non-boss type mobs, I could have my claw half an inch away from the mob (or even in the enemies' graphics) and before my attack can go off, the mob will have enough time to start and finish an attack that sends me flying.

Small cosmetic thing: The graphics for the prince and elika were so different from the scenery, it just seemed like they were simply a cardboard cutout continually pasted on a background. As though the person/people doing the artwork had completely different styles.

Tl;DR: Fuck the seeds. Fuck the required collecting of seeds to advance the game, over and beyond the actual gameplay. Don't consider this a Prince of Persia Game. Think of it as an all new series produced by the same company. Don't compare it to the others, don't have expectations on this game based on how you felt about the others.

KatsuExe

Jul 31, 2008
I've played this game for a bit,and it seemed alright but meh i've never really gotten into the PoP series

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
dcsobral said:
MaxFan said:
Do give us credit. As an American, it really bothered me that the characters had American accents. I mean, come on, it's supposed to be Prince of Persia
I don't get this argument. In fact, I abhor this argument. If he is from Persia, then he should speak Farsi, not Farsi-accented English. Now, if learning Farsi to understand PoP is too much trouble to go for (and, for me, it is), then plain, unaccented English is fine.
Tsk, this is just what he means about Yanks being unable to relate ect. "... plain, UNACCENTED English..." give me a break. One of the reasons that the dubbed version of Kung Fu Hussle sounds ok is that Steven Chow does his own dub in it, and all the accents sound like they are from HK. Not like the old KF flicks where they all sounded laughably from the Bronx.

How naive and arrogant to think that your (un)accent is appropriate for all situations anywhere. Do all our Oz actors stealing your plumb roles in the States lose their accents or are they just copying yours? It's probably because of this sort of unconscious hubris that no Septic has pulled off a believable Pommy or Aussie accent EVER.

Hey, let's change "Mad Max" to "Road Warrior" and redub it even though it's ALREADY in English. For a multicultural country the USA can be pretty xenophobic and insular. Still I don't want to over-generalise, so kudos to MaxFan (is that ironic?) who DOES understand. Good on ya mate.

To those folks who have never played the original POP trilogy and wonder if you are missing out... yes, you are!

PS. No, not everybody wants to move to the States.

SplicedUp068

Jan 12, 2009
I hate this game with a burning passion.
it has removed almost everything that made the game good
the entire timing aspect was cut in half by the fact that you no longer have to wait then do a jump sequence worthy of a quick-time event due to all of those extremely well placed traps like the swinging logs
instead you just jump grab the ledge then wait till that moving black gunk on the wall moves away.
also like Yahtzee said the combat is also crap and would only be more unfair and one sided if the dicks had that black gunk surrounding them.
oh wait...they do!

Velios

Dec 11, 2008
I found it to be easy, but the battles were rather annoying. Amusing review as always Yahtzee.

Sillyiggy

Jun 12, 2008
I pretty much agree on all points. I enjoyed the game though, it did run a little long and I found myself playing just to finish it 3/4 of the way through.

Also, I would go further on one point Yahtzee made. Anyone who says this game was not difficult needs to get kicked in the nuts. Because apparently they associate difficulty with punishment. A game does not have to punish you harshly to be difficult. But they seem to think so.

SO, here is a way to make the game more 'difficult' for those who complained. Stand next to them every time they need to be saved by chicky you kick them in the nuts. More difficult now? YEAH?! LET ME HEAR YOU SAY IT!!!

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
I would say this review was hilarious and spot on with the troubles I've been hearing but I'm still gonna get the game. Someone actually said on Steam 'The game is not like the other Prince of Persias but is still good on its own.' I don't know if that's true but maybe looking at this game as a whole you franchise might make it seem better

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I agree with yahtzee Prince of Persia needs to be laid to rest before it become another tomb raider.

ZenNz29

Jan 17, 2009
I got throug about half of the worlds before I said "bother this nonsense" and take it back to the store. Considering how the ending was, I saved myself from throwing my controller at the TV. Even if it does lead to a sequel, who cares? The game was awful, save the "runny-jumpy-climby" part.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
even though this was the first one i've ever played and yes i am replaying it *shamless trophy whore* it does need to be laid to rest. although the scenery is beautiful....the parts you can't get to at least.......elika annoys me, she always jumps on me and he likes to disobey my commands and help her when she obviously doesn't need it, and why can't she climb the ()*^&%#$#@!@&*)% vines herself without jumping on my back?

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
explosivly cums grass seeds aw man thats wrong
And sadly that's what see seemed to do as she cries out and then grass slowly appears around her before sweeping out to cover the entire area.

dcsobral

Sep 11, 2008
jemborg said:
dcsobral said:
MaxFan said:
Do give us credit. As an American, it really bothered me that the characters had American accents. I mean, come on, it's supposed to be Prince of Persia
I don't get this argument. In fact, I abhor this argument. If he is from Persia, then he should speak Farsi, not Farsi-accented English. Now, if learning Farsi to understand PoP is too much trouble to go for (and, for me, it is), then plain, unaccented English is fine.
Tsk, this is just what he means about Yanks being unable to relate ect. "... plain, UNACCENTED English..." give me a break. One of the reasons that the dubbed version of Kung Fu Hussle sounds ok is that Steven Chow does his own dub in it, and all the accents sound like they are from HK. Not like the old KF flicks where they all sounded laughably from the Bronx.

How naive and arrogant to think that your (un)accent is appropriate for all situations anywhere. Do all our Oz actors stealing your plumb roles in the States lose their accents or are they just copying yours? It's probably because of this sort of unconscious hubris that no Septic has pulled off a believable Pommy or Aussie accent EVER.

Hey, let's change "Mad Max" to "Road Warrior" and redub it even though it's ALREADY in English. For a multicultural country the USA can be pretty xenophobic and insular. Still I don't want to over-generalise, so kudos to MaxFan (is that ironic?) who DOES understand. Good on ya mate.

To those folks who have never played the original POP trilogy and wonder if you are missing out... yes, you are!

PS. No, not everybody wants to move to the States.
I'm not american, thank you, and I like to hear the voices as they are supposed to be. Listening to english-accented voices is hipocrisy. When you play The Witcher, do you use polish voices, or english?