Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - Episodic Zombies

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - Episodic Zombies

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

Watch Video

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
I distinktly remember having shot Barry in the face in Resident Evil 2. What gives? I thought this series was big on continuity and consistency.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well at least it was sort of trying and gives the fanbase a nice time. I'd still like to see a Resident Evil game, episodic or not, that can boast Resident Evil 4's length again given that said game never ran out of ideas either.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yahtzee, you think of some weird things during sex... though it would explain quite a bit...

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, that does seem to be a bit of an issue with episodic games. Not a huge thing, but still annoying.

I also heard people mention that this R.E. felt like it wasn't actually designed to be an episodic game. Mainly that it didn't have the right kind of pace and kind of just ended between some of the episodes.

Haven't played it myself, so I can't say for sure, but that's what I've heard.

Anyway, good show, Yahtzee.

Ken Martinez

Mar 18, 2015
I ask this with total seriousness, but has ZP gotten a lot less funny?

Back when there were genuinely terrible games coming out, ZP was a complete riot. Even in mostly positive reviews, Yahtzee made a lot of biting, hilarious points.

Now that games have gotten a lot better and it's a lot harder for a Ride to Hell or a Colonial Marines to make it to stores, not only is every ZP review ipsitive now, each review is less funny, either because Benny Croshaw has lost his cutting wit, or there's less to say about each game.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Or they could put the flashlight in their breast pocket, like we did almost 15 years ago
This is a Yahtzee video. Of course it's appropriate to talk about SH2.

Good review of the product.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Ken Martinez said:
I ask this with total seriousness, but has ZP gotten a lot less funny?

Back when there were genuinely terrible games coming out, ZP was a complete riot. Even in mostly positive reviews, Yahtzee made a lot of biting, hilarious points.

Now that games have gotten a lot better and it's a lot harder for a Ride to Hell or a Colonial Marines to make it to stores, not only is every ZP review ipsitive now, each review is less funny, either because Benny Croshaw has lost his cutting wit, or there's less to say about each game.
A man who can use the phrase 'Old cucumber at the dildo party' is doing just fine, thanks

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I kind of agree with Yahtzee on the prospect of episodic gaming. It's why, even though I love TellTale games, I wait until all the episodes are out for their games before buying the game.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Rawbeard said:
I distinktly remember having shot Barry in the face in Resident Evil 2. What gives? I thought this series was big on continuity and consistency.
Barry doesn't appear at all in Resident Evil 2 and (potentially) saves Jill at the end of Resi 3. You must be thinking of one of the other STARS members that survived the mansion incident. I know there is one "easter egg" zombie of Brad that requires a little work to see.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Has no one mentioned the hilariousness of Claire quoting one of Barry's infamous lines from RE1?

"I guess I almost became a Claire sandwich."

I cried tears of joy from hearing that. I love it when they do throwbacks to other games. She references another one of his lines too later on in the game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
erttheking said:
I kind of agree with Yahtzee on the prospect of episodic gaming. It's why, even though I love TellTale games, I wait until all the episodes are out for their games before buying the game.
I usually wait till a few are out at least, if nothing else so I can see how well the schedule is going and if it's shaping up. Granted, for Tales of the Borderlands this is really annoying because episode 2 took way too long to be released(I'm hoping it was to get them back on a regular release schedule so now they'll all be monthly).

The downside is that I'm an early backer of a couple episodic series and only one of those so far is releasing on any sort of decent schedule(Dreamfall chapters) while the other two are apparently going to finish....at some point despite being close to done(Kentucky Route Zero, The Dream Machine).

I've been seeing Jim Sterling-son review these games and he was annoyed by the fact they're releasing weekly because to him that was just proof the game was already done and it was cut into 4 pieces for...well, no reason. Hard to say he's wrong either.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
I've gotten to the point where I don't buy episodic games until all episodes are out. There's no point otherwise. I have other things to play, and I don't want to be forced to wait to see what happens next while the developers make excuse after excuse about why the next episode is delayed.

Thanks Wolf Among Us for teaching me this valuable lesson.

sky14kemea said:
Has no one mentioned the hilariousness of Claire quoting one of Barry's infamous lines from RE1?

"I guess I almost became a Claire sandwich."

I cried tears of joy from hearing that. I love it when they do throwbacks to other games. She references another one of his lines too later on in the game.
You can't just say it though, it has to be terribly voice acted as well.

PapstJL4U

Jan 10, 2012
Thanatos2k said:
I've gotten to the point where I don't buy episodic games until all episodes are out. There's no point otherwise. I have other things to play, and I don't want to be forced to wait to see what happens next while the developers make excuse after excuse about why the next episode is delayed.
Buying the full game has two mayor advantages: You can play them in a row and don't have to deal with shitty cliffhangers, like Yahtzee described and all but the last episode already got patch one or more times. I see patches for episodes on a regular base and it makes me warm and fuzzy, because will play the patched version in the end....and can still feel good about buying fullprice games, if this is what i need. Episodic games just stretch out the time for the maximum price.

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
'Seven strangled kittens out of ten'??!? Yathzee has started handing out numerical ratings. Gasp. The end of civilisation as we know it.

OT: Why make it episodic at all, if the rate of release suggests they had most of it ready to roll already? Maybe another case of 'TellTale Games got rave critic reviews and high margins for their games. Their games are episodic. The next RE will be episodic. Eureka!' Seems this would work for the Walking Dead type of story telling (I only know the books, not the games or movies, so basing myself off of that) as there are time skips and survival stories carried over years. RE? Seems a mismatch.

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
Rawbeard said:
I think shooting Barry was an option for one of the less good endings in the original RE. The REmake could have Barry killed by Lisa Trevor. Or you might be thinking of Brad Vickers in RE2, who appears as a zombie outside the police station if you get there without picking up any items and drops the special outfit key when killed.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
One the one hand, my interest is somewhat piqued, but on the other hand, sex is ruined forever.