Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
"The difficulty is very unforgiving at times, with far too many unreasonably brief windows between a monster appearing on screen, and them helping themselves to a Jill sandwich."

Classic. Loved the "What Would Adolf Do" poster behind the top hat-clad villain as well. A lot of the humour in the game comes from Jill's keen spider-sense like ability to detect danger, as well as her random utterances of "I think so too."

I liked the moments that required twitch reflexes, but what pissed me off at times was that sometimes a tough enemy like a Hunter or Giant Spider would appear on screen and, despite me unloading a Magnum Revolver on the bastard nearly as soon as it appeared on screen, it wouldn't flinch, allowing it to take a chunk off my life bar.

kermit007

Jan 30, 2008
Forget COD4 man. No point in doing a review for a game everyone has played already. Do one on something thats good, yet some may not have played. Like No More Heroes?

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
leafcats said:
BonsaiK said:
No, Yahtzee, no! Don't review Call Of Duty 4! Don't let the whiners win! It'll just encourage them!
I agree with this. DON'T DO IT MAN.
My bet is that he'll open up with an intro that looks like a review of CoD4, have his cartoon Yahtzee give everyone the finger, then review whatever the hell he wants to review.

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
When your goal is to be the world biggest jerk, money doesn't apply to you. It's capitalism in action!

4mf

Jan 30, 2008
I too would readily let any Valve employee masturbate in my face. As long as by "any" we mean either Realm Lovejoy or Kim Swift, that is.

viciousmaniac

Oct 24, 2007
m_jim said:
leafcats said:
BonsaiK said:
No, Yahtzee, no! Don't review Call Of Duty 4! Don't let the whiners win! It'll just encourage them!
I agree with this. DON'T DO IT MAN.
My bet is that he'll open up with an intro that looks like a review of CoD4, have his cartoon Yahtzee give everyone the finger, then review whatever the hell he wants to review.
Or perhaps he's gotten around to playing it and now wishes to give his thoughts on it, and decided to quell the begging while he's at it.

I for one enjoy the RE plotlines for what they are: B-Movie madness on a scale sometimes nearly Homeric.

Yes it's all silly, but most myths are anyway. What's sillier, Carlos and giant spiders or Heracles' final demise stemming from, literally, a bloody shirt? :)

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
really not much of a zombie game person. Seems like rail shooters are only fun at the arcade. Good ending with the Valve joke:)came out of the closet finally (Guitar Hero)

simo9352

Jan 23, 2008
Bwahhah Yahtzee you kill me every time!

What ever their paying you is probably about right it keeps YOU angry.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Well...fuck. I remember playing railroad shooters. Good job Yahtzee, I ain't even 30 yet and you make me feel old.

P.S.: The review wasn't half bad either.

Lord Amazing

The Astounding
Jan 30, 2008
"I admire the spirit of Umbrella Chronicles because, as my Silent Hill: Origins review implied, I admire a series that tries to mix things up, not just release the same game every bloody year"

Wait, what? There have been 3 rail shooters made from Resident Evil that I can think of right off the top of my head which were much like the 2 (that I know of) arcade rail shooters they made. How is this mixing things up?

Corbineau

Nov 20, 2007
I liked the Mansion Incident. The Gamecube remake, anyway.

That said, Holy Hell was I on the floor with the laughings.

Also, I seem to need to be culled from this earth. I kept having bits from the Painkiller short rolling through my head all day. Still. Yeah.

As the kids like to say, lol.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
you know i always though that the RE plots where someway decent (except 4) until i realized that capcom never tried to cover the reason of why umbrella make those fucking monsters

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
My fiancee was a little upset that he reviewed Umbrella Chronicles, because we haven't gotten around to buying it yet and I think now she's scared I won't let her XD

But God knows we need some Wii games, and I'm actually happy to have a rail shooter in my collection. Relic of the past? Maybe. A treasured memory of my past? Definitely! Unintentionally hilarious dialogue? Most welcome.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
Well done.

So we have Jericho, Manhunt, Silent Hill, and now ResEvil. All that's left to review in the horror genre is Barbie Horse Adventures Mystery Ride...
You forgot F.E.A.R., and frankly his disappointment with Silent Hill: 0rigins, Umbrella Chronicles and F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate has me hoping he'll review Condemned 2 when that comes out (March?) because it looks like it'll be filled with the kind of thing that appeals to him about horror games.