Zero Punctuation: Saboteur

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Supp said:
Megametalwolf said:
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english ****
Except, Yahtzee is Australian.
Except he isn't.

He's British, residing in Australia.

On topic:

Actually they also stole the "different tones/colours depending on who control that part of town" thing from Prototype... So the only real pretension for originality this game can claim is being absolutely unoriginal. Not a whole lot of games can claim they have no single concept of their own, not even a bad one.

matumba

Nov 1, 2007
Lonan said:
Well, I can understand a desire to have a free Irish State, wherever it may be. What do you mean by "I'm pretty sure threads like this are the reason my forebears left the old country in the first place" though?
It was meant to be a joke about the bickering and fighting between Angle-land and the Irish.

Nurb said:
I remember a question a while ago among the internets about "why do Americans love the Irish?", and one Irish person was going on about how she had a couple nice American friends, and found the American interest in Ireland cute, but then said:

"I don't want to anger anyone, but Americans don't have a culture, the only real Americans are the Indians"

And I had to ask myself.. why DO we like the Irish again?
Because a butt-fuck-ton of us have roots there one way or another, no matter what the Irish from Ireland say.

matumba

Nov 1, 2007
Lonan said:
Fronzel said:
Lonan said:
As for taking pride in the old country, my suspicion is that it's more then that. In the mid-19th-century the Fenians (Irish living in U.S.) tried to invade Canada. I simply wonder how much that has to do with it. Judging by many Americans on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fair bit.
Well, they would have done that because Canada was British, wouldn't they?

C.H.A.L.E.T. said:
I find it ironic everybody is ripping on WW2 games.

Give it a few years, and everybody will be whining we have too many modern (Setting) games.
Well, yeah, that's how gluts work. I don't think anyone complained too much when Call of Duty 1 came out.
Yes, Canada was. I have no problem with their attempts to liberate their homeland. I am merely suspecting that some Americans may be in love with the Irish because of their attacking Canada, which the savages of the U.S. have never liked ever since they weren't able to take it in the War of 1812. I'm just speculating. Everything has to have a reason, and in terms outright actions (actions I can find in a history book) before the U.S. was strongly allied with Britain in WWII, (when there probably would have been less support for the bombings of that time period) the Fenian Raids would definitely have qualified as something certain individuals would be very happy about. While this is also speculation, the fact that the American government said it would recognise any results of the Fenian attacks, and supplied the Fenians with weapons; (payed for by the U.S. taxpayer) makes wonder how many Americans were drinking to a successful invasion of those damn Canadians and their British friends by the good old Irish.
Actually the Fenian raids were stopped before they fully got off the ground by the combined efforts of the anglo-sympathetic power structure in America who fed information (names, dates, places) to the Canadian government (again not that the Fenians were exactly subtle about what they were going to do...), also because the U.S. government didn't want it to spark another retarded war with the limeys.

Jameson_542

Jan 2, 2010
I see two main themes of responses to Croshaw's racism. First, some individuals lashed out somewhat pitifully. But the second tendency is more prevalent, namely reactionary claims that Croshaw's comments about the Irish were subtle and hilarious and that only the unenlightened would take offense, as Croshaw pillories all races.

There's nothing clever or enlightened about "the Irish are breathtakingly stupid." Nor is there any comparison between Croshaw's scurrilous attacks and fixation on the Irish (e.g. Irish Catholics killing Protestants in the Monkey Island review?) and a token insult to the British here and there. It should be no surprise that an Irish or French person would be unsympathetic to this review, being as it is defamatory and not funny.

Some would say that we're all adults so we can damn well say what we want. Well, in that case I'll say that my occasional admiration for the author's work is tempered by the glaring prospect that he's a drooling, photophobic eunuch marauding for nerds and other unemployed scabs like himself writhing across their mothers' basement floors snorting lines of feces while they wait for their testicles to drop so they won't sound like such fucking girls. Croshaw is an abomination of web 2.0 populism, where any quixotic aspergers brat can be the wizard of oz in his own breathtakingly desperate fantasy land.

Yahtzee affects to be the mouthpiece of counter culture, taking aim at the follies of the culture industry, when he is in fact the bloody rectum of the culture industry, weekly spraying shit on his bottom-feeder fans and not affecting much else. To me, it's perfectly in line with my expectations that this diminutive fucktard is also a racist.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
matumba said:
Lonan said:
Fronzel said:
Lonan said:
As for taking pride in the old country, my suspicion is that it's more then that. In the mid-19th-century the Fenians (Irish living in U.S.) tried to invade Canada. I simply wonder how much that has to do with it. Judging by many Americans on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fair bit.
Well, they would have done that because Canada was British, wouldn't they?

C.H.A.L.E.T. said:
I find it ironic everybody is ripping on WW2 games.

Give it a few years, and everybody will be whining we have too many modern (Setting) games.
Well, yeah, that's how gluts work. I don't think anyone complained too much when Call of Duty 1 came out.
Yes, Canada was. I have no problem with their attempts to liberate their homeland. I am merely suspecting that some Americans may be in love with the Irish because of their attacking Canada, which the savages of the U.S. have never liked ever since they weren't able to take it in the War of 1812. I'm just speculating. Everything has to have a reason, and in terms outright actions (actions I can find in a history book) before the U.S. was strongly allied with Britain in WWII, (when there probably would have been less support for the bombings of that time period) the Fenian Raids would definitely have qualified as something certain individuals would be very happy about. While this is also speculation, the fact that the American government said it would recognise any results of the Fenian attacks, and supplied the Fenians with weapons; (payed for by the U.S. taxpayer) makes wonder how many Americans were drinking to a successful invasion of those damn Canadians and their British friends by the good old Irish.
Actually the Fenian raids were stopped before they fully got off the ground by the combined efforts of the anglo-sympathetic power structure in America who fed information (names, dates, places) to the Canadian government (again not that the Fenians were exactly subtle about what they were going to do...), also because the U.S. government didn't want it to spark another retarded war with the limeys.
The president at the time, Andrew Johnson, said he would ?recognize the accomplished facts? of any Fenian assault.

http://www.doyle.com.au/fenian_raids.htm
http://www.bivouacbooks.com/bbv2i3s6.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids
http://infao5501.ag5.mpi-sb.mpg.de:8080/topx/archive09?link=/669/935669.xml
http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/19thcentury/articles/fenian.aspx
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/500055.html?nav=5052
http://www.wartimecollectables.com/zukgingras.htm
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Fenian-raids
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fenian-raids
http://www.irelandcalls.com/.599d02bb

He clearly did want another retarded war with the limey's, who happened to be us at the time. Canada had no intention of starting a retarded war with the American government. The American President at the time wanted a war, he just didn't want to have to fight that war. Eventually he ordered the attacks stopped when Great Britain payed the fees levied at it for damage to Union ships during the civil war, but to put him on a pedestal would hardly be fair. I'm not saying you did, but the efforts of the American government were hardly impressive. As for Americans themselves helping giving information on attacks, my understanding is that these people were Canadian and British spies, but I could be mistaken.

Generally, the American government and people were pissed off at the British and thought they would take it out on Canada.

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
I see the successful national-stereotype troll is, again, successful. Or maybe not completely successful, where's all the rage from French people?

Gift.

Quoth

Aug 28, 2008
I'm going to make no pretence that I read any of the other 300+ comments. I only have one question.. are the nuns as depicted in this video?

Okay 2. Since given the irish and the inclusion of the word nuns several times, couldnt Yahtzee have employed a nice Father Jack impression?

matumba

Nov 1, 2007
Lonan said:
KNOWLEDGE!
It was kinda like the bay of pigs, the president would have supported it had it occurred successfully, but afterwords he cracked down and started making arrests. But hey it was stopped and America had miscalculated Canadian loyalties once again.

Paul Mc

Jan 4, 2010
Now, I am well aware that a massive number of the viewers of this episode were highly amused. Me myself being one of them but me being Irish I also want to inform you about the incorrect facts in this episode, like the fact about guiness. Not all Irish people like guiness, just the normal ones and there is one absolutely true fact about Irish towns and that is that they all have at least one town drunk and they all specialize in a different drink. My town drunk likes Magners, the one in the town up the road likes Jack Daniels. The point I've made in this comment is that......well, the Irish like drink and I've now relized that this was a complete waste of time and I should have kept it short like my friends comment, you can search for it at his profile Team Star Pug.

fieryhotaru

Jan 3, 2010
It's strange that I haven't killed any Nazis in games yet. Mostly I've killed Shadows, demons, and Russians.

dave.k

Mar 7, 2008
<span highlight= said:
LOL. Some1 hates teh french. And teh British. And teh Asians. And teh Nazis. And teh Germans. And teh Jews. And possibly teh Australians?
And the Canadians. Yahtzee is not racist; he hates most everyone equally.

But we love you, Yahtzee! Of course, fanboys are what Yahtzee hates the most.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Just wanted to say that I've been a big fan of Zero Punctuation for a while now, but just today decided to make an account on Escapist!

beema

Aug 19, 2009
ehehehe
pretty good
definitely LOL'd at the "achievement" joke.
hope to see you around at some kinda con this year

kilibot57

Nov 25, 2009
Supp said:
Megametalwolf said:
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english ****
Except, Yahtzee is Australian.
No, he's a british guy living Down Under. That is not an Australian accent

Doctormeatus3000

Sep 25, 2009
im sure someone watched your review, and a "Nazi Hero" game is now in the works. Thanks you ass hole. more guitar games

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
As an Irish person currently living in England, I have to say this was one of the funniest reviews I have seen. I'm really surprised at this thread.

xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Y'know why? I can take a fucking joke.
Amen.

Jun 11, 2008
Paul Mc said:
Now, I am well aware that a massive number of the viewers of this episode were highly amused. Me myself being one of them but me being Irish I also want to inform you about the incorrect facts in this episode, like the fact about guiness. Not all Irish people like guiness, just the normal ones and there is one absolutely true fact about Irish towns and that is that they all have at least one town drunk and they all specialize in a different drink. My town drunk likes Magners, the one in the town up the road likes Jack Daniels. The point I've made in this comment is that......well, the Irish like drink and I've now relized that this was a complete waste of time and I should have kept it short like my friends comment, you can search for it at his profile Team Star Pug.
So you try to stop people thinking there is a stereotype about Irish people while confirming it in their minds by a ridiculous statement ok fair enough.

OT:Good video very funny I haven't played the game but from reviews and what other people think looks like I probably won't.