Zero Punctuation: Shovel Knight - Good NES Nostalgia

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
What clever usage of old gags to get our Zero Punctuation nostalgia higher.
Copy paste image of the script.
Bane's 2012 mask used to represent something unpleasant.
Fantasy World Dizzy mention.
And so on and so forth.

Still this seems a tad interesting. And didn't Papers, Please perform well commercially? Or is that just a reference to the marketing?

Jan 12, 2012
I'd argue that it's not nostalgia to like old things if the old things are doing stuff you want that new things don't. How many people still play old editions of D&D and Traveler because they provide the gameplay they want? Video games have less of that because remaking old games is usually fairly simple, but the sheer number of remakes that are little more than HD upgrades show that there are some things that are respected for quality rather than age.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Oh that treant soul...

And I'll agree, the magic spell items in the game really are overkill...the game's quite beatable without them (and nets you an achievement for doing so), but several sections are a LOT harder, especially without the 'briefly become completely intangible and invulnerable to all damage' and the 'dash forward at high speeds in mid air' spells.

Now I'm kind of curious which of the DSvania games Yahtzee likes best...knowing him, my best guess would be Ecclesia, since while it has flaws, it doesn't reek of unfufilled potential like Ruin (though Ruin has some great stages) and doesn't have Dawn of Sorrow's 'use contrived stylus gimick to kill boss or you have to fight it again' thing.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
"... on the NES in order to score nostalgia points with a cabal of fat neckbeards who haven't seen their winkies since 1989."

Christ, I don't like Moviebob either since the extended baby crying session that was the ASM2 "Review" (If you can call what is one of the most miserable examples of nostalgia whining about how the old days were so better available for free on the internet a "Review"), but still, let's have some standards.

Also, yay, positive Yahtzee review.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Wow. Yahtzee likes Red Dwarf. Good to know!

That is one of my favorite shows. :)

I've heard too many people praising Shovel Knight. Guess I'm going to have to give it a go.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Been watching this on Game Grumps. I didn't think much of it but might get it on sale if it's that good.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I like to watch classic film noir like The Big Sleep and Double Indemnity, but there's no way I'm nostalgic for them--they were made when my dad was still in diapers! I think it's a mark of a medium's maturity that there are older works that can still speak to today's society.

On that note, how much great art is also a work of nostalgia? Isn't Saving Private Ryan nostalgic (while simultaneously skewering that nostalgia)? Weren't the Ramones nostalgic for the simpler rock 'n' roll of the 50s and 60s in the face of huge arena rock show productions with string quartets and 10-minute keyboard solos? I grant that a lot of nostalgia can be indulgent tripe or shallow comfort food, but it's not impossible to make great art from it either.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
A very good point. How is it nostalgia if you weren't there to experience it first time round. A similar thing could be said about old films, or for me at least, old music. Sure, modern music has superb production and sound quality and getting to hear it could never be easier. Yet I prefer to listen to older bands. The Beatles split up many years before I was born, and yet I still listen to them a lot. Similar things could be said about Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, etc, etc.
But I digress. With games there would be a certain degree of nostalgia. Though I never had an NES, I was still able to play the one at my friends house. I got to play Mario's 1-3, Zelda, Megaman, Castlevania (but never Metroid) back when they were all brand spanking new. On a further note, my word did the NES have a strong stable of games back then?

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
wow Shovelknight has paid everyone haha. I didn't know Yatzee did paid reviews but ok. Not very sudbtle when Continue? GameGrumps, Yatzee and everyone else reviews the same game at the same time.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Clowndoe said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
British comedy is practically half the air-time on his weekly Youtube show.
I wasn't aware that he did a weekly YouTube show. All kinds of new information today.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
What always irritated me about the current state of the industry (ooh look at me jumping on commentator vocabulary bandwagon) is that as soon as new games stopping doing things we liked, the first instinct was to ditch EVERYTHING and go back to the NES. To paraphrase Yahtzee, "What has been the point of the last thirty years of game development and evolution if you're just going to remake [insert ol skool title here] again?"

So, are publishers and their development fuckpuppets to blame or have the people who complained the loudest about how "games these days suck" just no realized yet that they've become obsolete?

What I want is a return to 90's FPS's, where you carry twelve guns and run around huge, non-linear maze levels looking for the exit. You know, DOOM! Brutal Doom is a step in the right direction, but imagine how good it would look on the Unreal 3 engine. Or what about a console space shooter, like Wing Commander, or Starlancer (Christ, I loved that game.)? Or hell, even Tachyon:the Fringe?

Has everything from the PS2 onward been for nought!?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm, this game looks actually good. Mac port isn't coming out for awhile, but the 3DS has a version of it. Can anyone tell me if it handles well on that platform?

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
bobdole1979 said:
wow Shovelknight has paid everyone haha. I didn't know Yatzee did paid reviews but ok. Not very sudbtle when Continue? GameGrumps, Yatzee and everyone else reviews the same game at the same time.
Well, people tend to do reviews of games when they come out and it is kinda a high profile game. Also, Game Grumps does reviews?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Clowndoe said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
British comedy is practically half the air-time on his weekly Youtube show.
I wasn't aware that he did a weekly YouTube show. All kinds of new information today.
Look for "Let's Drown Out", and you'll notice that Yahtzee has been slowly dragging points he made there into Zero Punctuation. Not a bad thing, just something to pick up on.

Dai Makai

Nov 18, 2009
erttheking said:
Hm, this game looks actually good. Mac port isn't coming out for awhile, but the 3DS has a version of it. Can anyone tell me if it handles well on that platform?
The 3DS port is smooth and awesome. No slowdown or glitches from what I've played. Everything's easy to see and as far as I know it's the exact same as the Wii U and Steam versions with the same music and stuff.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dai Makai said:
erttheking said:
The 3DS port is smooth and awesome. No slowdown or glitches from what I've played. Everything's easy to see and as far as I know it's the exact same as the Wii U and Steam versions with the same music and stuff.
Thank you very much. *Pulls out debit card* I think I know how I'm spending my evening.