Zero Punctuation: Sim City Societies

Rune R.

Dec 31, 2004
Wyatt said:
"its like your enjoying a nice grilled cheese sandwich when all of a sudden someone replaces it with cum between two slices of wood"
"Its as if you're enjoying a nice, if somewhat plain grilled cheese sandwich when all of a sudden someone replaces it with watery ejaculate smeared between two pieces of wood."
Don't misquote the Yahtzee!

Wyatt said:
this weeks review was akin to watching Hulk Hogan actualy shoot steroids into his ass. its like watching superman pick his nose, or wonderwoman padding her bra.
Ok, that honestly made me laugh out loud.

Did anyone else notice how the medic's face appears in the sky at the end of the short? I didnt see it the first time, so thought more folks might have missed it.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
Wyatt said:
granted the game didnt have alot to work with but my question is why review it at all in this case? with literally thousands of games out there to review why even waste the time?
Because he doesn't get to choose what he reviews. CoD4 was the exception, not the rule.

in the second place whats with the tacked on video crap at the end?
The first thing he did like was a big hit, so why not try something like it again?

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
Rune R. said:
"Its as if you're enjoying a nice, if somewhat plain grilled cheese sandwich when all of a sudden someone replaces it with watery ejaculate smeared between two pieces of wood."
Don't misquote the Yahtzee!
you forgot the part about the pickles , and its a 'spoon full of watery ejaculate' if you want to be anal about it, and i didnt misquote him i paraphrased him, YOU sir misquoted him :p

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Nope, can't really get myself to love this one, mainly because anything called "Sim..." or "The Sim..." just bores me without end. The TF2 skit was nice, though, and since noone can please everyone all the time, I'll just tip my hat in anticipation of the next Zero Punctuation.

NSiky

Nov 1, 2007
A jab at religion, hatred of an entire (virtual) society AND love of the Clarkson, all in one review? Yahtzee, you've outdone yourself again.

The theory that The Heavy is gay with the Medic is intriguing. I may have to verify this using Eidos' Singles and some texture imports.

Edit: So far he's (justifiably) had a dig at Americans, the Japanese, the French, Australians and Anime lovers (who, let's be honest, are on a planet of their own). Thankfully, because Yahtzee's also British, I get impunity from mockery AND I understand jokes which other people won't. Well done on being a Brit, Yahtzee!

TerribleTerryTate

Feb 4, 2008
Hilarious. From start to finish I couldn't stop laughing. People getting touchy (pun intended) with the pedo joke. Get a sense of humour..please.
He nailed the exact reasons why I can't bring myself to play a Simcity/Sims game for more than ten minutes too. Another great review.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
I watched this again, and man, does it bring me back to the days of Sim City 2000. Building tornadoes, pipelines, then destroying it all. Good times.

Yerocha

Nov 3, 2007
I'm noticing a thing that the less popular the game is, the more people tend to say bad things about it. I found this review to be well done, but a few people don't think so.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
As an anime/manga fan I have no problem whatsoever with that pedophile statement right there. It takes a lot of effort to dodge all the teen/pre-teen series, I wish they cut it out with those series, but they're popular, they sell, so we'll keep on getting buried in them.

I'm an avid comic reader too, and wouldn't mind getting stapled as someone with a spandex fetish in this kind of context. Even though the amount of actual superhero comics I read is very small.

Fact of the matter is about 80% of anime is about 14 year olds. Yes, those school romance series too (they're always first or second years at the school in question). And that girl that looks 19, well, she's 16... It's a built in cultural difference because of the differing ages of consentual sex. Its true even if you don't watch hentai at all. You don't want to see a soap opera about a 14 and 15 yr old boy and girl making out, right? Yet in anime, you are. And you have to be able to see that as funny.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
Garfgarog said:
So it seems a fair amount of the fans around here as well all rally behind Yahtzee's random attacks on entire bodies of people, especially in this case when it's entirely unprovoked. There's a difference between having a sense of humour and the butt of a joke. I'm pretty sure a lot less people would be laughing if he made a joke by labeling a prison as a black apartment complex. Sure, anime/manga fans aren't an identifiable minority, but they're still a group of people, and I'm sure as hell not going to just sit there and laugh smugly as some guy insinuates I'm a pedophile because I like a certain kind of comic, and for really no reason whatsoever.
You laughed your arse off at the other "random attacks". Admit it.

LarsWestergren

Nov 28, 2007
Wyatt said:
this review was pure crap. in the first place he phoned in the actual review in my opinion. granted the game didnt have alot to work with but my question is why review it at all in this case?
Just out of curiosity, what about the review didn't you like? Since you were angry enough to create an account perhaps you could have clarified that.
:)

Didn't you find the jokes funny, or were you not interested in the game? Did you think he slammed it unfairly, or that he wasn't mean enough, or didn't go enough in-depth... or what was it?

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
im a US Marine (retired) i served in Gulf 1, and on more than one occasion Yahtzee as totaly slamed Marines (not to mention all of America) and i found it nothing but totaly funny. good humor is only good when their is a core of truth to whats being made fun of.

to be blunt here. i served in a war as a US Marine and we get depicted as morons who screw dogs, and our whole nation has been depicted as nothing but retard bullys and i actualy laughed out loud at those comments, you on the other hand are upset because you enjoy cartoons and he made some fleeting referance to an entire genra of cartoons that are about kiddy diddling? you need to get over it seriously. he flat out called me and my fellow Marines lots worse things and given the context they were nothing but funny.

@lars. ohh dont misunderstand it wasnt that im angry. certianly not. its just that it was a bad review when you look at his whole body of work. in the first place as ive stated, he should have never reviewed this game in the first place since its obvious he doesnt like the genra at all. in the second place i totaly agree that there isnt much to actualy review so again why bother doing a review at all?

but i guess my actual need to comment is at its core coming from a sence that this review was less about Yahtzee and his opinions and more about him being forced to review a game that he clearly cares nothing about good OR bad and is just punching his time card this week to collect his check. his reviews to day you very clearly get a true impression of how he feels about a game, good OR bad. you get the impression that he actualy ment the things he said about the game be it poison or praise. with this review it comes across to me as 'lets just toss up some crap and maybe next weeks game will actualy interest me one way or another'.

its like watching George Forman sell burger grills, no i take that back its not even that interesting because George atleast acted like he cared about his grills. this weeks review was yahtzee selling his soul to the coperations. he didnt care enough about the game to actualy have anything interesting to say. he clearly didnt care for the game so i understand the lack of praise, but whats worse is that he didnt care enough about the game to have any good insults either. the whole thing just comes across as something he was forced to do and it shows by his lack of effort to really shredd it or praise it.

my comments arent at all about the game (i couldnt care less about Sim City Societies the same way its clear he doesnt either). they are about his review. if heda phoned in the same half assed 'couldnt care less about this game if i worked at it' kinda review for COD 4, or the Witcher id have made these comments about THOSE reviews instead.

good or bad , all his reviews to date have had a certian passion behind them. this one fell flat with a clunk when it hit. he doesnt give a shit about this game at all and its obvious that if he wasnt required to review it he in all probibilty wouldnt have ever even read the box let alone install it on his computer.

and with the tacked on video segment at the end it just compleated the picture. its like he yawned 2 minuts into his review of Sim City Societies, relized hed total lost interest but still had a couple of minuts to kill and decided to change the station to something totaly unrelated for the last half of his time.

Feb 15, 2008
After seing this review, I am thankful to whatever divinity exists that you are not one of them.

I've never been much of a fan of simulations, but I've always thought of SimCity to be an "evil capitalist simulation", and Populous being a "god simulation"...

All in all, the review is a nice break after all the shooters that were reviewed.

dragonblossom

Feb 15, 2008
I really enjoy these reviews. I think Yahtzee has such a unique and talented way of reviewing games. This one did seem shorter, but he made some very good points when it comes to Simgames. I was confused by the odd short at the end, never having seen one of these before (he's done some in the past?) Is the game an FPS?

Tom2510

Feb 15, 2008
Hi all, long time listener first time poster, recently when i try and play the zerp punctuation reviews the video egg player sits doing nothing for ages and sometimes it just plays a random advert im using firefox, downgraded from the beta to see if it helped but it hasnt.

anyone got any thoughts? i need my fix of crazy reviews :)

Derek108

Feb 15, 2008
omg where did you get this great remix of "up where we belong" ???

I need it!

btw: great review ;) love you

Greetings