Zero Punctuation: Sim City Societies

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
i think he should review what ever interests him. his reviews to date all except this one have left me atleast entertained if not out right laughing my balls off. even the reviews of zelda and mario which i couldnt care less about ive watched a couple times and was left laughing.

it just strikes me that he didnt care enough about this game to make a good review, and i dont mean good as in the game was 'good' but good as in the REVIEW was good. i dont care if he loves a game or hates it, the reviews themselves are what the draw is, but hes atleast got to care about the game hes talking about one way or another to have anything too work with it seems to me.

i will say that the only game hes reviewed that i actualy OWN is "The Witcher" and i found that review to 100% spot on perfect from the point of view that everything he said about it was pointing out the EXACT same complaints i had, so in my opinion hes not only got talent in being able to make us laugh with his reviews but hes also got a clear knack for being RIGHT while he does.

i just hope that he doesnt end up being forced to push or slam games based on economic decisions by his bosses (or even his own) its refreshing to see a review thats both funny and is true. too many reviewers spend pages praising high points and using buzz words that mean nothing and tack on a few 'very minor flaws' paragraph on the end of their reviews of games that turn out to be total shit, because 4 pages of praise was about the amazing ability to change hair styles and the tacked on 'minor flaws' were that your PC crashed every 5 minuts even assuming you could get the game to even install in the first place. all this 'reviewing' of corse is done with economic drives being the most importiant factor.

so far atleast yahtzee seems to be reviewing games based on nothing more than his real and actual opinion of the game in question with no company shills standing behind him as hes recording, stuffing a $100 in his pocket every time he says something nice, and cutting their add payments to his parent sight every time he doesnt.

i dont begrudge any man the ability to make a living, his trick is gunna be 'keeping it real' as he does.

bartos

Feb 18, 2008
i cant help it... i just really would like to see him dissin metroid prime 3 XD (no misunderstandings here, its my favorite game :p )

Papu

Feb 18, 2008
wow fantastic , your reviews always make me laugh . :D

btw Tf2 is an Awesome game!!!!!!!!

Rodge

Jan 24, 2008
I know people who lust after Jeremy Clarkson! I just lust after the cars he drives and The Stig.

Ignotus

Feb 19, 2008
This got me playing my SNES version of the old Sim City again. I still get a vague amount of pleasure building up a large, albeit shitty city by leaving it on overnight to reap in the rewards of a 100 years worth of unfair taxes, then burning the lot of them or causing numerous plane crashes or a bowser attack and so on.

A game which allows you to choose which disasters you subject your people too is just irresistible sometimes. Most of the time, I grant you, it's fairly empty.

USPmagazineDROP

Feb 19, 2008
I must say, I've been addicted to your reviews so far and have watched them multiple times since I first found this website.

This review made me laugh so hard it hurt.

p0nda

Aug 25, 2007
Where in the Sam Hill did you get the disgusting pan pipe version of the vile Joe Cocker - Up Where We Belong? Springing that from the bowels of all that is evil was a truly unsportsmanlike trick to play on an unsuspecting viewer. Aside from that, a solid B+.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Yahtzee said:
I'm toddling off to San Francisco for GDC...
For this reason there's no review this week, but if you'll let me finish my sentence before you start throwing things, the Escapist will be releasing the shorts I made for the GDC award ceremony at around midnight on Wednesday, in place of a review. Perhaps they will keep you mollified.
So my question is:
Midnight in which timezone?

Blast5000

Jan 6, 2008
Damn, they were so happy, the medic was still laughing before he got stabbed... i find that lil video quite disturbing, like seriously...

But i like the way he choses the medic and the heavy, they are the perfect match if you have played the game, and also the way the spy went for the medic, which are key targets. Probably did it on purpose.

Trickmetwice17

Feb 4, 2008
hahahah XD i loved this review XD so far i haven't heard of anyone thata likes SCS xP thata game really sucks! . I'm still playing my SC4 :D is way better than SCS =/

sanspec

Nov 6, 2007
why dont people realize that you will get banned by celebrating that ur the first person to post?

dragpanther

Jun 3, 2008
Nice review. As Always.
Since That review is somewhat educational and doesn't exactly make me turn my pretty head away from any of the games unless it's another FPS .-. So i'm gonna post my own ideas about 'god/building' games i've tried.

o_O Well first of all the list of games i've played: the Sims, Sims2,Immortal Cities: Children Of The Nile, B&W2 along with AOE2 and AOM and recently been hooked by Pharaoh: Cleopatra ._.

Don't think i ever played SCS before tho kinda been wanting to try it out to see if it's more less challenging or at least fun also been kinda eying the Zeus Master Of Olympus game. Unsure about that one.

My Fave part of Pharaoh would be adding plazas to the road. But Ppl in that game are indeed like normal ppl...needy Sons of bulldogs the more you give, the more they want and if you take it away even if only for a moment they throw the emo tantrum and run to sulk in the corner. If it wasn't for necessity to actually provide them the stuff due to a mission i'd prolly just end up make 4x6 squares of homes connected by one long road with everything on it. with maybe some entertainment at each ends and all the stuff in the middle o_O but that would make it a hella long road to travel = less efficient ._. so yea you still end up making 4x6(or smaller/bigger if you feel like it)squares with all the stuff surrounding them, cept industrial buildings which you somehow gotta place far enough not to affect desirability and still actually work ._. and late at night or early morning you gonna find yourself sketching on a notebook new and better ways to give them everything they want without making them all run around the city like rats in a labyrinth made of cheese, cos simply they wouldn't know which wall to start eating without ending up noses together with another rat and having to fight to bite... would be rather better if it was possible to add routes o_O or at least use arrows or something. cos come on how many times you gonna be lost about which way to turn on the same crossroad you have gotten to last 5 hundred+ times ._.
all and all playable i guess, tho i really dislike the exact needed item for upgrade thing cos even if you're giving them everything they could ever want they're not gonna upgrade cos they're missing that one item ._. rawr.

IC:CotN ..well food= money so means you have to work twice as hard to end up buying more food o_O it is basically a cross breed between Pharaoh and Sims2 just bit more "ancient" and "unique" well kinda is for a "god game" you are actually a pharaoh who somehow needs to have his palace built before arrival, grows old too fast and could get killed by a mugger or kinda made "stop" being a pharaoh by angry mob of unsatisfied ppl who're too impatient to wait for things to get better and instead of going to shop and BUYING stuff they need picket in front of noble houses and complain in generally ._. not exactly fun for someone who just likes nice graphics and building stuff. The fun thing about it is that you can name everyone one of them whatever you want You can have actual Harry the Potter o_O or Name the Pharaoh Imhotep and all his siblings after various other ancient Egyptian bad asses. or name all the nobles after known vampires and put huge walls around their houses. Or give some soldiers names of all known action heroes. Or just fun to watch Bill Gates be a villager who's picking Pomegranates all the stars some minor scribes and servant pplo_O and you being the almighty Pharaoh.

B&W2 - Badly Arranged World 2.
erm Black And White 2 i mean ...
that game is somewhat different from previously mentioned by actually having the "paw on pulse" thing o_O i kinda wondered if ppl in the game actually see the hand or not and if god indeed only needed one hand to build the world...well that explains alot of things since you can't help but wonder what he needed the other hand for....
Plus instead of having a Godzilla breaking havoc on your newly built city you get to have a pet that does that to other newly built cities ^_^ .tho it's kinda limited to actually build. pet could be unleashed- literally too btw- to do all kinds of things o_O
like eat own shit.o_O thus never having to go on a diet from eating too much cholesterol filled food like rocks, trees and ppl.
getting more ppl in the game is certainly unique. o.o you basically need to rub 2 ppl together to make one of them pregnant and other one go and rub some more unless you have a female dedicated to do that then basically nothing happens. which basically is a vague hint that women - that 4 letter S+plural s word only doing for the other 3 letter S word and no consequences o.o and the mission in the game accuses you(the player) of having an intercourse with one of the females which along with few other things makes it a rather sexist game ._.
and having the ability to choose to be either good or evil is kinda bit messed up o_O cos if you need something built fast out of wood to make ppl happy you need to pick trees up -evil then somehow sawmill them in your hand to dust and turn into perfectly piled stack of wood ._. or just place inside building to make it build faster - good .so in the end you're still gonna end up being somewhat in between unless you only use trees to kill ppl which would mean you're not getting anywhere since there's a pretty strict storyline .-. where in latter missions enemies keep getting 2x as stronger all alone and joining forces with other enemies which makes it a really long pain in the neck crazy fast trying to build a city and an army capable of at least keeping everyone from dying in first 30 mins.
then try to build a bigger army to beat nearly impossible foes who not only got help from each other seem to be able to use "special GOD powers" from start while you have to keep buying saunas and stuff just to keep ppl happy enough not to keep complaining all the time. and prolly won't either make enough points t get anything good nor prolly get a chance to use it o_O plus some side quests are kinde funky o_O. especially if you find out you needed to buy some extra ability to do stuff and when you wasted all of them to buy more better buildings for your ungrateful pi...i mean people. oh well still somewhat fun to watch the catfight or set trees on fire and throw them around like Molotov cocktails .and watch stuff burn XP.

Sims and Sims 2 ._. is more detailed city/human building game, you get to design each and every house along with some businesses cept for the ingame ones you don't even use.
fun for sadistic ppl to torment their "creations" that have some relation to real live people who prolly aren't even aware of what's done with their virtual counterparts. -kinda makes me wish to remove the O out of it tho cos that'd describe them well-, but maybe that's for the better . or they might decide to get some Sims2 similar chat thingy and make you join it just so they can do all the stuff back and watch your reaction as well.
Sims 2- with a large group of friends and possibility that last expansion indeed stays last you're only gonna need just that. since with each new one you just need last one so you can just buy latest one , lend original game and all expansions from friends and not pay a cent for the rest ._. tho in the end it will only be worth it for that last person with latest one who has those friends. unless you agree to trade using expansions for certain time for say ability to install the original :p

AOE 1&2 and AOM - Age Of Empires and Age Of Mythology.
More Strategy and Fighting Games than others i guess o_O unless you build 4 bombard/tower thick walls around your little farm and do nothing. or in AOM+ Titans just build a forest around yourself and never need a thing and not worry about enemies unless they bring peasants which can be easily killed by say having some random flying attacking or really good ranged creature o_O can't really say much bout cept they don't need as much planning where to build stuff, you don't have to care what ppl want and you can make anyone attack anyone. you could even use give line of sight power with turn trees to ents power and ct down on the enemies resources by making them fight against each other. tho my fave godpower is turn to pigs one. o_O just think about it instead of just killing your enemies you turn them to food which can be eaten and literally gain their strength even if it is just getting more resources out of them against THEIR will.

that's all i'm gonna say for now. it's rather early here and this is already rather too long for a comment about a video of a game i haven't even played xD.

Jun 13, 2008
Ha! If a japaneese Manga Shop was built next to a school I'm sure the universe would impload! Even though I live next to such a shop... *Shivers at the sight*

Jun 13, 2008
Oh and I think they should make a 'Simcity destruction' Where the point of the game is to make life for the little ones as mentally and physically challanging as possible. Where in the people of the town react brutally and suicidaly.

I think I have problems *Gonk* *Cry*

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
What game was that gay thing at the end from? Is that the spicy yaoi you were aking the waiter about? lol.

::reads previous posts:: Team Fortress 2, huh? Well, that's one way to get girls to play it.

Okey okey, on topic... My least favorite thing in Sim City 3000 Unlimited, which is the only non combat city builder I've ever played, was those damned pipes.

Ange1ofD4rkness

Jan 14, 2009
Thir review kicked ass for the sake of AC/DC mentioned...and then having an AC/DC song. And that's all it needs althought the TF2 was nice at the end...i just wonder how it was done, i guess yahtzee had alot of free time that sim city game must have been short