Zero Punctuation: Siren Blood Curse

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
It's REALLY annoying when you're required to successfully protect a character that the game will later kill off anyway. A similar writing offense is for the game to follow a boss fight you just won with a cutscene of the boss kicking your ass, especially when losing said boss fight results in a game over. It's like playing D&D with an atrocious hack for a DM.

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
I belive the problem is how he acts/presents his reviews, wich make people take it seriously. Also on how he always claims that he's a pro reviewer, plus I woulden't even consider him as an entertainer since he bassicly fails at that as well.
He doesn't MAKE people do anything - there will always be those who adopt the opinions of others in lieu of forming their own, and Mr. Croshaw has certainly made his opinions known in a very quotable way.

I don't agree with all of his reviews, either, but at least I have the good sense not to to say that Yahtzee's fans should be "shot in the face".

ix_tab

Apr 25, 2009
I have never read the comments on a ZP video before. And now I understand why I instinctively shyed away from it.

Jesus h christ, fanboys and anti-fanboys scare the crap out of me.

Also, since my sister's laptop has decided that it hates me and all I stand for I have to wait until I get home to watch this video. And yes, it's a game I've never heard of, because I don't have a PS3, and neither do any of my friends. I'll still watch it and enjoy it. I don't think there's anything wrong with picking a game that isn't as well known as others. As a reviewer, isn't that his perogative?

Devornine

Apr 14, 2009
I think it is just hilarious that people are mad when he reviews something and they don't like it. A review is an oppinion! If you disagree with Yahtzee time and again that is okay!

Magnikai

Oct 29, 2008
Pyronox said:
Magnikai said:
Pyronox said:
Spyalt said:
Magnikai said:
That was godawful....it wasn't even really that funny
This.
You both have avatars from Japanese videogames.

Silence.
That has nothing to do with anything, sir.
So? :3

Pokemon is from Japan too, btw...
Yet again you bring up the avatar thing, what is that how you see how valid an argument is or something?

Tylenol

Feb 11, 2009
To go completely back onto topic. I played this game and I thought the dumbest part was the ending and the boss fight. Its like fighting a big spider while on LSD, not to mention the subtlety gets completely trashed in the 10th or so chapter. I mean once he started swinging a katana around I know it had departed horror completely. Though still a good game and a great review.

Mr. Blond

Mar 4, 2009
again not really a review...funny (leper joke cracked me up)...but a rant at best...he spoiled part of the plot (also funny)for jebus sake...told us there was a path in the woods we need to find and then you get killed (scary for some but still another spoiler)...i could go on...i love the series...i think yahtzee is brilliant...but these are not reviews...did he even say if he liked it as much a silent hill 4 or whatever

Mr. Blond

Mar 4, 2009
oh and i know i'll probably get ridiculed for this next question...but who's the dude he shows the headshot of in so many episodes...the one with the red hair?

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Lukirre said:
Kanashe said:
I belive the problem is how he acts/presents his reviews, wich make people take it seriously. Also on how he always claims that he's a pro reviewer, plus I woulden't even consider him as an entertainer since he bassicly fails at that as well.
That's kind of the point.
What helps make his style is the profound sense of arrogance that he brings to it.

Obviously it won't be everyone's cup of tea.
No one entertainer is going to please the masses.
But that doesn't mean that he's any less of one for it.

Just read through his threads and see all the people who have enjoyed his videos.
Dispensing bile as a response to bile is only adding to the mess.
Agreed, I just don't find alot of humor in this (a chuckel one or two maybe.) Some people do yes, but it's annoying when they go on this protection of yahtzee calling him some sort of humor God and reviewer, wich he ain't and never was/will be. Plus I kinda have a feeling that he hasn't even played the original Siren on the PS2, wich by far was HORRENDESLY bad, and practically impossible to pass without a walktrough. Just because he mentioned it, doesn't mean he played it. The only thing I'd agree with him, was the voice acting, wich was badly translated from the Japanese. The othere things he said sucked can be countered by bringing the Siren for the PS2.

Lenoh

Apr 22, 2009
Yet another survival-horror game.

It's not that Yahtzee is trying to play all the FPSurvorror he can, it's that IT'S THE ONLY BLOODY THING GAME COMPANIES WILL PUMP OUT FOR A QUICK BUCK NOWADAYS.

That and Madden.

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Kanashe said:
littlerudi08043 said:
you are still a butthurt little cry baby, your done, be gone with you and take your stupid comments with you ******.
Made of win. Kudos.
Yes, well put Kanashe (and BlueInk ,as per), just what I was thinking.

On another note... just who is that dude who's headshot keeps appearing in all his reviews lately? Is that someone in particular?

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
In my honest opinion, no game has made horror/psychological thriller GOOD. I might even go as far as to say that no film has made psychological horror/thrillers good ever, either.

If there is something i dislike more than coming home to find a hobo rubbing his balls all over my bed, it's the japanese influence on a game. Yes, their stock characters, clichees and TERRIBLE TERRIBLE dialog writing/voice acting is what made me have to FORCE myself through Silent Hill 2, damn well trying to enjoy the story and get immersed, but i failed immensively. Maybe if i had played it when i came out, i would actually have enjoyed it, but that's probably because i was 10 at the time.

You all just wait until i can cough up the dough to keep a dev team afloat, and release an immersive psychological horror game that will redefine the genre and piss on your dead cat.

yes, this is what we should assume is going to happen. that, or nobody will buy it because people generally don't support the good games (a lá grim fandango).

bye.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Didn't like this one. A year old game I had never heard of, and it was apparently a meritless piece of trash. Since this is where I come for reviews I'd rather see newer stuff so I can get an idea of what to avoid.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
xqxm said:
In my honest opinion, no game has made horror/psychological thriller GOOD. I might even go as far as to say that no film has made psychological horror/thrillers good ever, either.

If there is something i dislike more than coming home to find a hobo rubbing his balls all over my bed, it's the japanese influence on a game. Yes, their stock characters, clichees and TERRIBLE TERRIBLE dialog writing/voice acting is what made me have to FORCE myself through Silent Hill 2, damn well trying to enjoy the story and get immersed, but i failed immensively. Maybe if i had played it when i came out, i would actually have enjoyed it, but that's probably because i was 10 at the time.

You all just wait until i can cough up the dough to keep a dev team afloat, and release an immersive psychological horror game that will redefine the genre and piss on your dead cat.

yes, this is what we should assume is going to happen. that, or nobody will buy it because people generally don't support the good games (a lá grim fandango).

bye.

Also, Grim Fandango wasn't all that perfict, so suck it.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
PirateKing said:
Anyone think Yahtzee reads what we write?
I think his comment about fans from the T-shirt ad says it all, and I actually agree with him, not to mention that he's got his own forum that he moderates.

The ZP threads are generally a front for concentrated stupid in these forums.

On-topic, I enjoyed this review. Not his best, but far from his worst.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
Kanashe said:
xqxm said:

bye.

Also, Grim Fandango wasn't all that perfict, so suck it.
Name one game that has done horror right?

Seeing as how you don't think Grim Fandango was one of the best games ever, i'm half expecting you to bring up some shitty asshat game like Dead Space, so congratulations for proving to me that some people actually shouldn't be allowed to partake in popular votes.

Cheers!

p.s. I think even you can agree that Grim Fandango was several steps above for example NHL 1999 in the great order of things, but people will rather stick with safe, familiar immensively product placed and sold out games, than to try something that's a little off. I think that's sad, that's all.