Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

Irysa

Aug 20, 2008
JakobLogan post=6.69063.649026 said:
Shinkada post=6.69063.649014 said:
I like Soul Calibur/er but I can't defend it.

I can defend the general fighting genre, though.

They're only just behind FPS games when it comes to a pure match of skill, so those who like actual competition are the ones most drawn to it.
Are you kidding me? Fighting games are pretty far away from games of pure matches of skill
You clearly have never played a proper fighting game.

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
Oh, c'mon. I don't see why Yahtzee has such beef with fighting games. The main complaint I've heard is that it's easy to lose against a button-mashing newbie. Yeah, that's only the case in the Super Smash Bros. games... and those aren't even necessarily fighting games.

If you find yourself beating the game easily with throws, then there's a problem with the game's AI. It's a little harder to beat an actual person if all you do is throw. I'm not a huge fan of the Soulcalibur games (oh, Excalibur, I get it now) but I do like playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Gotta love Blanka.

WiwuX

Jun 1, 2008
I was worried about his... alright, if a person who doesn't like fighting games can beat most levels with only throw, then it's not worth my time. Back to Guilty Gear XX: Slash, then.

On another note Mortal Kombat series is probably the worst mainstream fighting series in existence.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
It was a good review - I bought Soul Calibur 4 - but after playing it for about a week it got really boring. And he's right about online - people button mash like crazy - no skill involved.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Funny as always. I'm afraid I can't get behind his slagging of the character creation feature, which I'm still having a blast with. Great fun.

Really though, isn't SCIV custom-designed to be hated by Yahtzee? Think about it: it's an extremely Japanese, anime-flavoured fighting game featuring a preposterous web of fan service masquerading as a story and the world's most impossibly huge swords.

Everthing he hates, in other words. The game would have to have been phenomenally good for him to like it, so no surprises here.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Irysa post=6.69063.649061 said:

They're only just behind FPS games when it comes to a pure match of skill, so those who like actual competition are the ones most drawn to it.
Are you kidding me? Fighting games are pretty far away from games of pure matches of skill
You're right, on second thought there are a few that come to mind, i was just thinking mainly of the Soul Calibur Series. I still wont give in to the point that they are "Just behind FPS when it comes to a pure match of skill"

jonquillll

Aug 20, 2008
As much as I'm a fan of this game, I can't refute a single point Yahtzee makes. Nor refute the fact that I was giggling away my morning. Fighting games are meant to be played by two live people. They're complete arcade games. The best thing SC4 has going for it over it's predecessors is the online gaming. No one's really figured out how to make fighting games fun in single player.

Actually SC1 and SC2 had some decent single player missions, with quirks like drifting battlefields, quicksand, mice that would nibble on your toesies if you didn't jump once in a while, and missions where you could only do damage if the enemy was in the air, or when only throws would be effective. (Though Yahtzee probably wouldn't have a problem with that one.) Instead of the somewhat creative bits they used to have, SC4 just chucks more guys in different armor at you to kill.

Other than online play, I could see why someone wouldn't be all that keen on the Caliber, or Calibur, or Calibre, or whatever...

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Actually, this episode is the most bland one i have ever heard of in a while. Somehow, yahtzee's humour isn't getting to me, even though i'm watching them. But he does mentions that he did this video very cheaply.

Maybe it's only me, but it's humour changed from smart to dumbfounded.

giggyman

Aug 6, 2008
Meneguzzi post=6.69063.649059 said:
absinthe21 post=6.69063.649045 said:
Guys, has anyone else noticed that in this and the last couple of episodes Yahtzee has been running out of breath towards the end of his sentences?
Are you gonna pull a "Dr. House" now and tell him he's got some crazy heart condition and needs immediate attention? :)
it's not lupus.

JackH

Jul 23, 2008
I agree with Yahtzee's POV on Soul Calibur 4. I personally liked Soul Calibur 2 because most of the characters looked "normal" cool (for a Japanese game) and their motivations at least make sense in an embrionic (not overtly elaborated state)and fighting is viseral

But Soul Calibur is crap compared to it, I mean seriously, the combos and fighting moves are MUCH slower, the swing is so god damn blockable and customization utterly pointless (but since the characters are "buffed up" in every game, as seen by the ridiculous growth of IVY's TITS in each Soul Calibur 4, and some of the really genuinely wonderful costumes in 2 gave way to flashy gay pants in later games that are all about spectacle.

About Yoda and Darth Vader, WTF? I mean I expected that Japan will endlessly and pointlessly try to bring popular characters from the west and interact with their spiky haired unlikable remake catastrophies (Kingdom Hearts, "Kenny" the anime, and now THISSSS) WHY the hell does Japan actually think that it's a good thing, or even relevant for this merge (Anakin is still a little Douchebag)? Can't they grasp its not about spectacle but about interactivity, immersion, achievement and appreciation? Fuck those clowns (Sigh, those casual gaming, exposition loving, misogenistic bastards whose utterly addicted with what the hell Sephiroth will do next~) At least there is a Korea, O wait, now they are into animes these days, and their MMORPGS are even more horrible

Soul Calibur is but a casual game because there really is little single playing potential, no narrative, motivation, or cinematic asides. No long term value

JackH

Jul 23, 2008
I want more games that I can love not crowbared into the Pathos oriented part of my brain~

Irysa

Aug 20, 2008
JakobLogan post=6.69063.649082 said:

You're right, on second thought there are a few that come to mind, i was just thinking mainly of the Soul Calibur Series. I still wont give in to the point that they are "Just behind FPS when it comes to a pure match of skill"
And why would that be? Both effectively rely on what I exemplified on earlier, ability to read and understand an opponent's strategy and have effective reactions to be able to counter them.

Besides, I think he was reffering to videogames specifically. Not all competitive forms of sport of what have you.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Long time since I've seen more crap posted. Fighting Games are the most annoying and lame games in existence. So let's bust some myths here.

- They are about skill
A nice myth sticking around like stench to a toilet. They are not about skills especially if any twat just button-mashes his way to victory. I've played numerous fighting games and it is always the same. Some or less prone to trashing others more. In the end memorizing move sets is not a "skill" at all. Timing? Yeah my ass... Huffing down a combo chain by pressing buttons in a sequence in the right timing gives you kudos for having too much time at your hands to learn finger twist but shows your lack of any "combat" skills or gaming skills in general. So forget the one with the skills, it's just a nice myth

- Fun playing against buddies
Skill games are fun if played with buddies ( or party games if you are drunken like hell ). Luck and memory games are boring together since after a short time you know all the combos. Finding holes in his defense? There isn't much looking or finding in a game type which ends after 5 seconds if you just mash the buttons. The main problem with fighting games is that they are boring very quick since they lack anything new or different. After 5 minutes you've seen all the game has to offer. And don't come me with "goodies". If you think a game is good because it has goodies go bury yourself since you are a nerd with no life... and no taste :D

- Characters are good
Really? You should know it better nerd. You are playing this only because of the nearly naked girls with bigger boobs than they have swords. Granted not all fighting games are like this ( try to find a booby wielding girl in a godzilla beat'm up ;) ) but the ones with the big fellowship are. If I want naked women I can go get myself some pr0n... much cheaper and lasts longer ;)

There are other things but in general the main problem in this games is that they are exhausted after very short time. And comparing a fighting game to chess should get you arrested on the spot. Comparing a pure skill and tactic game with a button mashing memory game is like comparing a cake to a bag of poo ( to stick with the analogy given by Yathzee ).

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Irysa post=6.69063.649168 said:
JakobLogan post=6.69063.649082 said:

And why would that be? Both effectively rely on what I exemplified on earlier, ability to read and understand an opponent's strategy and have effective reactions to be able to counter them.

Besides, I think he was reffering to videogames specifically. Not all competitive forms of sport of what have you.
Ever play an RTS?

N.K

Aug 19, 2008
haha, the flowchart joke was nice, got myself a bit confused when I say all those lines and faces for the first time

Oh and the custom character redeems the entire game 'cause of the fact that you can make Steven Seagal.

tapoh

Aug 20, 2008
Lol.

An entire review of a fighting game based entirely off of the one-player modes. Hahaha.