Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

KoalaMeatPie

Feb 21, 2008
I often find myself pressing F5 over an hour to view the newest video - and it never fails to disappoint.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I guess that answers my question on "What time CST does Yahtzee usually post his videos". Too good.

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
5pm GMT. ^^
Great as always, and i never really did understand fighting games.. it seems that people will eat up any old crap if theres some character they know in it..

Keep it up!

Akurenji

Jul 21, 2008
I loved the whole "And now il try the game on hard" scene, a picture of Yahtzee at gun point with that expression of inferiority and self loss cheered me greatly :D

Zicondk

May 14, 2008
naa i like the game but you got theres something about what you are saying mostly the custom char part

Mistah Kurtz

Jul 6, 2008
KoalaMeatPie post=6.69063.648803 said:
I often find myself pressing F5 over an hour to view the newest video - and it never fails to disappoint.
Wow, even MY time isn't THAT worthless...

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
As much as I love SC4, I literally fell out of my chair laughing.

"People will buy a game because Darth Vader is in it" Priceless

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This seems to be another area where Yahtzee and I disagree. Though I understand the fact that if he doesn't get a game he can hardly stretch himself for a review he seems to have a direct hate to fan base ratio in his reviews that shows here. He also seems more arrogant then usual by using his own lack of connection with the genre to claim that it is no fun for anyone where others who actively enjoy the genre have prased it as a complete fighting experience. I will however conceed the point concerning the story in that I've never taken it too seriously where Soul Calibur is concenred and in general it never seems as "serious" a series as Mortal Kombat or Tekken. To finish I say MK V DC looks awesome.

P.S If anyone has a problem with the inclusion of Yoda, Darth Vader or the Apprentice it can be solved with two very easy words "non cannon"

SeiferHyperion

Feb 16, 2008
Excellent review, I found it hard to disagree with anything he said in this review except for the fact he actually goes looking for a story in a fighting game and is disappointed when one doesn't measure up to the plot of Lemmings at the very least.

Great job, Yahtzee.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Hahhahaha, I love playing these games against people who memorize all the abilities, and then beating them by randomly mashing buttons. Their reactions make it all worthwhile even if the game is stupid.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Also, I like how he titled it "Soul Caliber", after his hint that every game in the series has misspelled it so far.

Rogthgar

Aug 18, 2008
hehe this was great :D
story is irrelevant in these sorts of games :D

**do a strategy game at some point**

Hearthing

Aug 20, 2008
rightwingisgood post=6.69063.648832 said:
This seems to be another area where Yahtzee and I disagree. Though I understand the fact that if he doesn't get a game he can hardly stretch himself for a review he seems to have a direct hate to fan base ratio in his reviews that shows here. He also seems more arrogant then usual by using his own lack of connection with the genre to claim that it is no fun for anyone where others who actively enjoy the genre have prased it as a complete fighting experience. I will however conceed the point concerning the story in that I've never taken it too seriously where Soul Calibur is concenred and in general it never seems as "serious" a series as Mortal Kombat or Tekken. To finish I say MK V DC looks awesome.
Alrighty then, so we have small Japanese looking teenagers, strange hair do's, big swords no one with that little muscle would ever be able to pick up and added Darth Vader and Yoda into the mix and you're saying it's arrogant to hate it? It's arrogant to defend it...

Any of us big nerds know that a lightsabre can cut off anything and cut through anything, why can't it cut through those small muscleless characters.

AlissaX70

Apr 24, 2008
!!! The game is so good!! C'mon Yahtzee! I agree that the backstory is needless, but if you've followed it from the previous games, its kinda cool. Sorry, I'm a sucker for fan service games.
I do have to say, seeing Yahtzee with boobs is rather... how can I say it? Disturbing? Mind-burning? ...Vaguely erotic?

:-( I liked the game, but I hate not being able to refute any of Yahtzee's points.

ianfox1992

Apr 24, 2008
FINALY SOMEONE GOT THE SPELLING RIGHT!!!!
great video as per usual and i found the "technical difficulties" screen quite amusing