Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

Aginor27

Aug 13, 2008
This has been bugging me for awhile, whenever Yahtzee says "anybody" or something along those lines, it shows the same picture of a man. Who is that man.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Great review. I love the Soul Calibur Caliber series, and yet this review is still fantastic. It must be the magic of Yahtzee...

Russ741

Aug 20, 2008
Very funny and factual as usual :). Like said above I found it hard to disagree with any of the points you made. To be perfectly honest I wasn't sure which game you would do this week.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Yahtzee's conclusion and general stance towards fighting games - Soul Calibur IV in this particular case - is logical considering his stance towards the concept of "multiplayer" and the fact that until game developers get A.I. right, fighting games are at their best when played against other people.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Hearthing post=6.69063.648845 said:
rightwingisgood post=6.69063.648832 said:
This seems to be another area where Yahtzee and I disagree. Though I understand the fact that if he doesn't get a game he can hardly stretch himself for a review he seems to have a direct hate to fan base ratio in his reviews that shows here. He also seems more arrogant then usual by using his own lack of connection with the genre to claim that it is no fun for anyone where others who actively enjoy the genre have prased it as a complete fighting experience. I will however conceed the point concerning the story in that I've never taken it too seriously where Soul Calibur is concenred and in general it never seems as "serious" a series as Mortal Kombat or Tekken. To finish I say MK V DC looks awesome.
Alrighty then, so we have small Japanese looking teenagers, strange hair do's, big swords no one with that little muscle would ever be able to pick up and added Darth Vader and Yoda into the mix and you're saying it's arrogant to hate it? It's arrogant to defend it...

Any of us big nerds know that a lightsabre can cut off anything and cut through anything, why can't it cut through those small muscleless characters.
Yeah, but you forget that the game might still actually be a laugh. Either it'll be a remake and remodel of the original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast which was pretty much the best of the series and contained none of these weird bonus characters, or it will suffer from being a sequel, and and any attempt at online play will inevitably be ruined by some prick always playing as Yoda. I'm hoping Yahtzee is wrong about the dominance of the throw button, because Soul Calibur 1 and 2 were pretty good, so long as you like fighting games (which most people who take the time to go online and heavily discuss games don't, because for them it is probably too casual)

And let the lightsabre element go will you? It doesn't really matter

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Say what you want about Yahtzee, at least he has the balls to say what he thinks about a video game, i.e. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
KiiWii post=6.69063.648826 said:
5pm GMT. ^^
Great as always, and i never really did understand fighting games.. it seems that people will eat up any old crap if theres some character they know in it..

Keep it up!
Actually 4PM GMT, since you're probably from the UK and you are currently on GMT+1 (also known as BST, Brittish Summer Time). The rest of Western Europe is on GMT+2 during the summer. GMT does not have summer time.

Either way, it was a fun review, and I admit sharing some of Yahtzee's sentiments, I don't get those types of games either, but as long as they make developers money it's fine with me, that means there's more money for other games.

p01nt

Aug 15, 2008
KoalaMeatPie post=6.69063.648803 said:
I often find myself pressing F5 over an hour to view the newest video - and it never fails to disappoint.
Well that's not really a comment on this video. But since you have already stated your time isn't worth much, I guess demonstrating it makes some sense...

I've enjoyed the past SC games, but I get a strange sense of enjoyment when I can simply trip(MK) or throw(SC) my way to victory. Of course, putting SC1 on the Xbox Arcade basically ruined any chance of my plunking down big money for this. Enjoyed the review.

filthgrinder

Aug 20, 2008
Is there anywere we can get a written version of Zero Punctuation reviews? I have a friend that is deaf and would love to read these...

AlissaX70

Apr 24, 2008
saphronic post=6.69063.648867 said:
Soulcalibur isn't a misspelling, it's a reference to the Excalibur.
Actually.
Thats what I thought. I feel further justified with my purchase.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Aku_San post=6.69063.648864 said:
Say what you want about Yahtzee, at least he has the balls to say what he thinks about a video game, i.e. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Well, any chump can attack a popular gaming franchise. The only thing that sets (or rather, set) his reviews aside from the rest was the medium in which he did it, and his sense of humour. Unfortunatly, it is my opinion that he simply isn't using his great British wit to its full potential anymore, which is a shame.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Mistah Kurtz post=6.69063.648830 said:
KoalaMeatPie post=6.69063.648803 said:
I often find myself pressing F5 over an hour to view the newest video - and it never fails to disappoint.
Wow, even MY time isn't THAT worthless...
I already spent over two hours doing that this morning and I was pleased that there was no waiting around for yahtzee today

P.S. If you know what I was trying to do this morning then you have earned my respect

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
I played Soul Cal 3, it was fun. I had a custom character, and so did a friend. SO it was usually those 2 versus each other. Or another Nightmare versus Abyss fight.

Opacic

Jun 25, 2008
So he reviewed a game basically geared towards multiplayer gaming, by playing against the A.I?

I know you'll yell at me saying "HUUUR BUT HE HATES MULTIPLAYUH", but seriously, Yahtzee, as much as I loved your old stuff, I find it incredibly hard to even find anything funny recently.

I neither agree or disagree with your review, if I can call it that, as I don't own SC4.

And the mispelling of Calibre/Caliber is intentional.
Soul Calibur is the name of the holy sword, created to battle the evil sword Soul Edge, around which the games' storylines revolve.
Yes, I know, storyline crap, but all the "LOL I LOVE IT HOW YOU SPELLED IT RITE YAHTZEE XDXD" stuff stops, wasn't even funny.

All of a sudden I realise why CAD is so popular.

SimpleReally

Feb 4, 2008
imo soul blade had one of the best intros ever created, i liked the earlier games better than the more recent boob-fests, thanks a lot tomb raider and dead or alive

To Yahtzee:
would it make you happy if they permanently killed off some characters because the story said so ?
also why do you never ever mention the soundtrack in your reviews ??

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
jebussaves88 post=6.69063.648860 said:
Hearthing post=6.69063.648845 said:
rightwingisgood post=6.69063.648832 said:
This seems to be another area where Yahtzee and I disagree. Though I understand the fact that if he doesn't get a game he can hardly stretch himself for a review he seems to have a direct hate to fan base ratio in his reviews that shows here. He also seems more arrogant then usual by using his own lack of connection with the genre to claim that it is no fun for anyone where others who actively enjoy the genre have prased it as a complete fighting experience. I will however conceed the point concerning the story in that I've never taken it too seriously where Soul Calibur is concenred and in general it never seems as "serious" a series as Mortal Kombat or Tekken. To finish I say MK V DC looks awesome.
Alrighty then, so we have small Japanese looking teenagers, strange hair do's, big swords no one with that little muscle would ever be able to pick up and added Darth Vader and Yoda into the mix and you're saying it's arrogant to hate it? It's arrogant to defend it...

Any of us big nerds know that a lightsabre can cut off anything and cut through anything, why can't it cut through those small muscleless characters.
Yeah, but you forget that the game might still actually be a laugh. Either it'll be a remake and remodel of the original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast which was pretty much the best of the series and contained none of these weird bonus characters, or it will suffer from being a sequel, and and any attempt at online play will inevitably be ruined by some prick always playing as Yoda. I'm hoping Yahtzee is wrong about the dominance of the throw button, because Soul Calibur 1 and 2 were pretty good, so long as you like fighting games (which most people who take the time to go online and heavily discuss games don't, because for them it is probably too casual)

And let the lightsabre element go will you? It doesn't really matter
So your defence for the game being good is what exactly?

As he pointed out it lacks plot, character development etc so what is it about the game that makes it good?

I've played SC3 and SC4 and although i enjoyed it i only played it for about 1 hour single player and 4/5 matches against my brother who was infinately better because he'd played for x times longer than me. The only good thing about fighting games is the multiplayer against afew friends which is fun but certainly not worth actually buying the game.

Basically its fun but contains about 5/6 hours worth of game play before it gets old and that makes it a bad game since i expect alot more game for my money.

Edit: Also a game when you can beat a player ranked #50 on your first ever go makes me laugh, yay button mash :D