Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

.Zafo.

Aug 22, 2008
I bet Yatzee would realy liked this game if ther was fighting style whit dual wield guns, that shoot shuriken and lighning.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
.Zafo. post=6.69063.655245 said:
Cervantes hase a gun to you know.
Then the rest are morons. Never bring a knife to a gunfight. Including a lightsaber. I don't care if you are Darth Vader, if you get COMPOTENT guys against you, like the Clone Troopers, you die. Even Aayla Secura did....mmm...Aayla...

owensoft

Apr 9, 2008
2 di weerrrrllll

Hey I play pro at the arcade and there nothing breaks a stand off like randomly pressing the buttons and making monkey sounds just piss a pro off. its the 8th of the 7 fighting game strategies. well its more of a anti-strategy

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
Im a little disappointed in his reviews for fighting games. Its like the glaring obvious faults of the game are ignored so Yahtzee can bash the genre as a whole. Instead of saying that some of the characters are partial clones or that this game doesnt make any large leaps from the previous, Yahtzee complains that throwing moves are overpowered when they are not. In brawl he complains about button mashing which is completely false whilst declining to mention that the game has possibly the worst online ever created.
Hope for a better review next time.

To those who are being idiotic about lightsabers getting toned down, shut up! So what they don't chop of your arm on contact! Do you really think if nightmare smacked you with a giant sword your arm would stay attached? And as for "lightsabers would cut normal swords in half" you do realise half the weapons are magical in some sort of bulshitty way? In some shows all technology either blows up or fails when anything magic even comes close to them. Its not ment to be taken seriously. soul calibur is a bit of fun!

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
This what I though fighting games always were, just part of a bigger theme. When they finally develop a in depth fighting game where everything doesn't look generic and button masjings a must then I would spare them a second glance.

Jack Spencer Jr

Dec 15, 2007
As far as the appeal of fighting games, they are like a game of Chess or Checkers of something like that, only more violent. Unless you're playing against me since I am a notorious poor loser. In which case, fighting games do not seem violent at all. But the judge told me not to play Chess anymore, so I digress.

The problem with fighting games is that you have to be into them, I mean really into them like you find fighting games more appealing than a nice scrotal cuddle to be any good at them and to learn the nuance of play. Fighting games have a learning curve that is like running head first into a slab of concrete and then throwing your body off a cliff. Few have the inclination to work at it enough to actually be any good. Hence why most people just randomly mash buttons on the controller or learn one move and only one move that proves effect, i.e. the throw button, and use that constantly in every single fight.

Now, it could be a balance issue that one move can be so effective that learning other moves is not enticing. It doesn't help that fighting games have these simply moronic and unintuitive "combos" where hitting up, then down, then up again, then down again then the jump button makes your character breathe a enormous fireball on his opponent. I don't know if anyone has bother to figure out the rational for how these seemingly random button presses could have anything to do with the resultant action, but I am sure that it would be moon logic. No, that's an insult to moon logic. Even moon logic isn't that stupid. At least I never heard of anyone who tried to do that with the possible exception of video game web comic writers, the tards.

Incidentally, Mortal Combat vs the DC Universe looks stupid. I predict there will be a lot of copies gathering dust on shelves in gamers' homes within six months, you easily plucked chickens.

Which brings me to my next point, Don't think Yahtzee hate fighting games fans because he doesn't understand the genre. He hates everybody, so stop being such twits.

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
Huh. Thought this weeks reveiw was gonna be Braid since yahtzee is so into the whole "games are art" thing. But I guess he wont reveiw it since it's dlc.

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
One thing that confuses me about fighting games is the amount of moves you can do with SC being the biggest perpetrator of this. There are quite literally 20 different attack combinations you could do starting with each attack button and probably with guard as well. What logical sane person is going to spend time learning all....potentially 60-80 moves for ONE character just so they can start having fun? Even if they do they will probably still be defeated by the random button masher at some point anyway. I was told by someone that your not supposed to remember all the moves just pick out a few you like and use them but then what's the point of having all the other moves then if only a few are worth using? Fighting games are only meant for this VERY small group of gamers who imo play because when they eventually learn all these moves and can beat anyone in it they can pet their ego......even though by the time they do this everyone would have moved on to Half-Life 4 or something and nobody gives a crud about SC4. Fighting games are a self defeating genre.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Never was a fan of 3D fighters they lost themselfs in the nuances of the models and fighting styles but have done lil to nothing for the gameplay itself, a good 2D fighter is million times more fun than today's fighters that are mostly about T&A or PVP than a solid SP experience.

Rogthgar

Aug 18, 2008
Remember games are supposed to be fun, how you define fun is a personal matter, maybe you like:

fist or swordfighting
driving fast
shooting ppl

Laerid

May 29, 2008
I don't feel like reading all 10 pages in this thread in order to see if anyone else noticed this, but

CALIBUR is actually spelled RIGHT (as far as the celtic origin of the word and visibly the developper's use of it ; i'll explain later)

Why CalibER anyway?
Maybe CALIBRE, but calibre designates the interior diameter of a tube or the exterior diameter of a wire or rod, and is generally related to firearms.

Sorry if I'm being finicky about this detail, but I've allways thought that Soul Calibur is actually an excellent name for a game, and definately ALOT better than the standard fighting game's "MortalK(yes, with a K)ombat or other "Street/Ultimate/insertrandomword Fighter".

Let me elaborate a bit : Excalibur (and not excaliber) deviated from the french Escalibor is king Arthur's legendary sword, word that means "cut-steel" in celtic.
Soul Calibur is capcom's take on the word, changing its meaning to "cut-soul". This (kinda) proves why Soul Calibur is more than just a legendary big-ass sword, it also corrupts the wielder's very own soul. It cuts souls ... ! *dramatic music*
Great take on Excalibur, and a great intriguing name for a sword-based fighting game !

As for the review, yahtzee doesn't like fighting games. Right. You could replace all instances of Soul Calibur with Street Fighter (or any other fighting game actually) and it wouldn't bother you ; it's not a game review "per-se", it's a GENRE review. It really was an entertaining review though, and you can't argue with mathematical demonstration... but WHY soul caliber??

j_meister

Jul 20, 2008
I thought this review might have been a touch biased, and therefore warped or exagerrated...
so I tried SC4...
and I laughed at how perfect and accurate Yahtzee's review was. Throws absolutely destroyed the AI opponents and fighting any other way was tedious and pointless.

croshaw is mad

Aug 19, 2008
wow, i feel stupid for figuring out the top ten list last week now... still, i think it's a perfectly good game if you're into fighting games. Seriously just 'cause yahtzee's not into fighting games that doesn't give him the right to say that it's not fun for ANYONE despite the stupidity of people whom have never seriously played it and TRIED to like it's constant opinion and blind rallying behind yahtzee croshaw... whatever, the point is that the review was biased, and that's his right as a journalist to BE biased but overgeneralizing and stereotyping such as to say that NOBODY WILL EVER ENJOY THIS GAME is a twat move in my opinion.

Bin Laden

Aug 23, 2008
"TIHS IS A MULTIPLAYER GAME!"
- Message boards are "multiplayer games". Just because you had fun with your friends playing a certain game's multiplayer mode doesn't make it worth buying or even giving a positive review of. Everybody typically has fun in the company of friends regardless of what videogame or even activity is taking place.
"IM A FANBOY/COMPETTIVE/PRO GAYMER AND I LOVE FIGHTING GAMES!!!"
- All circuits, leagues, ladders, clans, mods, and tourney rules are just jokes to anybody else. If you worship one, or a handful, of mediocre multiplayer games you'll never have anything to contribute to anything else so go back to pwning, don't even talk to me, you all need to be shot just for living. Besides not buying any other games, you aren't helping curtail the rampant rise in the output of garbage in this industry especially by trying to argue with the points of a smart, unbiased reviewer.
I'm glad I stole this crap from gaymstop, now I can trade it in for something that doesn't suck while maeking profits.
ivys tits are nice but you should just download a doujin for moar better and if you ever hope to suck tits irl don't waste your time on bad videogames like hole caliber fore.

Great Job! on the zero puncs yahtzee keepitup