Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

Benxander

Aug 24, 2008
Well apart from the stats part, i disagreed with a lot of things he said, usually i find myself laughing at his reviews, because i feel the same way about many of the points he'll make - but this is just about his personal disliking for fighting games.

And as for the grabs, if he really had put the difficulty up - he wouldve found grabs DONT always work, that part of the video was just for comedic effect, of which it had none.

Oh and yeah Calibur comes from Excalibur, you know, the Celtic myth? Why are you complaining its misspelt. I've lost some respect for you now Yahtzee.

croshaw is mad

Aug 19, 2008
i agree with bodiddly83, even if he is being an overzealous **** he's still right for the most part. It's not exactly fair to say that yahtzee's an easy mode ***** or that he doesn't play the games he reviews but he still has to kick and scream like an 11-year old girl getting her first period EVERY FUCKING TIME he has to review a game from a genre he doesn't like. I mean really, nobody held a fucking forty-five to the base of his temple and made him play SC4 he just did it because he knew he could make a few closet homosexuals living in their mother's basements titter slightly at the curse words and funny remarks. If he's only going to ***** about something that ACTUALLY BRINGS JOY to some other people because it's not his fucking cup of tea then to hell with him. If it's not his bag, then it's not his place to criticize.

croshaw is mad

Aug 19, 2008
Benxander post=6.69063.660978 said:
Well apart from the stats part, i disagreed with a lot of things he said, usually i find myself laughing at his reviews, because i feel the same way about many of the points he'll make - but this is just about his personal disliking for fighting games.

And as for the grabs, if he really had put the difficulty up - he wouldve found grabs DONT always work, that part of the video was just for comedic effect, of which it had none.

Oh and yeah Calibur comes from Excalibur, you know, the Celtic myth? Why are you complaining its misspelt. I've lost some respect for you now Yahtzee.
Well I have to agree with you there, my only reason for quoting you is to elaborate upon the meaning of the word "Excalibur" and it's alteration in use for the term "Soul Calibur". While there are several definitions of the word "Excalibur" due to the fact that Celtic is such a loose and perversable language, the term generally means one of two things: 1. "Ex" from the Latin root meaning "without" or "removed from" and "Calibur" being an indo-european Celtic Latin hodgepodge meaning "measure of power" or "standard of power". This first definition implies that the excalibur is, in essence; a sword for which there is no mortal equal. A weapon of the gods. (Or God, in the non-druidic version of the tale.) 2. The other meaning is the Celtic derivation of the term to mean something to the effect of "cutting blade" or something of the sort. The developers could easily have used either of the derivations in the title of the series, but with grandly differing meanings. I wouldn't know which exactly they meant by it, but I'm sure that information exists at their website or somewhere on the internet.

artemisfox

Aug 25, 2008
Excalibur was King Arthur's sword. an item that seems to blend perfectly with a game with such emphasis on the weapons. jesus tap dancing christ dont over analyze the subject.

I agree that the game is really reaching out for more fans and money. I mean honestly, Yoda? Darth Vader? they should have added in Johnny depp if they wanted a worthwile backstory and character.
maybe im alone in saying I MISS THE OLD N64 MORTAL KOMBAT GAMES... they were fun. FUN! And had enough silly easter eggs to keep myself occupied. But as many have already noticed, the golden age of console gaming died with the last two generations

joswie

Aug 23, 2008
I greatly enjoyed this game, but as always Yahtzee is right in every criticism leveled at it.

artemisfox

Aug 25, 2008
croshaw is mad post=6.69063.661315 said:
i agree with bodiddly83, even if he is being an overzealous **** he's still right for the most part. It's not exactly fair to say that yahtzee's an easy mode ***** or that he doesn't play the games he reviews but he still has to kick and scream like an 11-year old girl getting her first period EVERY FUCKING TIME he has to review a game from a genre he doesn't like. I mean really, nobody held a fucking forty-five to the base of his temple and made him play SC4 he just did it because he knew he could make a few closet homosexuals living in their mother's basements titter slightly at the curse words and funny remarks. If he's only going to ***** about something that ACTUALLY BRINGS JOY to some other people because it's not his fucking cup of tea then to hell with him. If it's not his bag, then it's not his place to criticize.
do you not understand the point of satire? the point is to make fun of something at all and any cost while revealing a few glimmers of truth.
i could nit pick and say "some people find this sort of review enjoyable but because you dont see the underlying humor or truth that you decide to whine and scream like an 11-year old on her first perion" but i think better of it.

adafuns

Aug 2, 2008
bodiddly83 post=6.69063.662281 said:
"i agree with bodiddly83, even if he is being an overzealous **** he's still right for the most part."

Why, thats the nicest thing anyones ever said to me.

It is fair to say he is an easymode ***** and he doesnt play half the games he reviews because it is true. Its also true theat he does the dumbest things he can on them to act like the shit is broken.

"do you not understand the point of satire? the point is to make fun of something at all and any cost while revealing a few glimmers of truth."

This isnt satire. There are no glimmers of truth. This is just some suck ass talking shit and other suck asses thinking he is leetsauce because he is sticking up for being a suck ass. The noobs are taking over. Ninjas cannt melt noob faces fast enough. They are like the fucking plague. Putzhee doesnt like games. He likes interactive movies that give the illusion of a game.
if he likes interactive movies than whats with his beef with MSG4? It seems like your feelings were hurt with this review little boy. ohh, and btw, anyone who takes yahtzee seriously is retarded.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
well... he could've just said "I don't like fighting games and the japanese 'art style' overall just pisses me off" and get over with it. The only thing I agree on is that the Star Wars franchise tie-in is weird and pointless. The rest of the review is just a pretty pointless rant about the nature of fighting games and how he doesn't like them in general.
And he used to be more witty, imo.
Well, I just hope the next game he reviews doesn't belong to a genre he dislikes anyway and has nothing worthwhile to say about. That would make it actually fun to watch again.

Blueberries

Aug 20, 2008
Triffid post=6.69063.649433 said:
Oh, and MK vs. DC has to be the most pointless and shitty crossover I have EVER seen
Whereas Marvel Vs Capcom was a stroke of pure unadultered genius.

BentNeatly

Aug 25, 2008
Damnit Ytze. PLEASE stop with the music... your old videos had so much life, and i loved hearing those songs and thinking "uh oh! looks like yatzhee didnt like it!!! OOOOO" then i get giddy and wring my hands. But the music now... its so usual. its stolen some of the energy. I know you were worried about copyrighted music and stuff, but damnit! do the extra work for us, jack!

Knightcrawler

May 8, 2008
Well after his review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I angrily said that none of his arguments were in fact directed at the game, but rather at the genre. I said he doesn't really get the genre. And well, looks like I was right. It's too bad, too, but I can understand it because I've got a friend like him. He doesn't like fighting games because he doesn't like competing with other people and thus losing, and he feels that practice can be surmounted by button-mashing, which isn't true for most fighting games. So well, can't say I'm surprised. But I can say that I'm glad he reviewed a great PS3/XBox360 fighting game so that the crowd that used his previous review of SSBB as a rallying cry against the Wii and that game can shut up.

Bent, he probably stopped with the old music style to avoid getting sued.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Knightcrawler post=6.69063.664566 said:
Well after his review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I angrily said that none of his arguments were in fact directed at the game, but rather at the genre. I said he doesn't really get the genre. And well, looks like I was right. It's too bad, too, but I can understand it because I've got a friend like him. He doesn't like fighting games because he doesn't like competing with other people and thus losing, and he feels that practice can be surmounted by button-mashing, which isn't true for most fighting games. So well, can't say I'm surprised. But I can say that I'm glad he reviewed a great PS3/XBox360 fighting game so that the crowd that used his previous review of SSBB as a rallying cry against the Wii and that game can shut up.
I think you have the wrong reason for why Yahtzee dislikes fighting games. Fighting games are designed to be multiplayer games. Obviously, it's going to be easy to defeat a computer that uses the same types of attacks as the player, since computers aren't yet as smart as people. This means that the real challenge comes from playing against other people. This is where Yahtzee has problems. You see, Yahtzee is a misanthropic shut-in. He doesn't have friends in the same sense that you and I have friends. What he does have are lines of code, which make a poor substitute. Thus, Yahtzee becomes bitter and takes out his frustrations on a game that he perceives as inferior because he doesn't play it the way it's meant to be played.

KingSephiroth

May 22, 2008
Wow. The Soul Calibur and fighting game fans are rabid, frothing at the mouth, and out on force today. I can't wait till Yahtzee's next mailbag response to ranting fans. It'll be funny to watch Yahtzee tell bodiddly83 that he's porking his mom.

LMAO

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
He was losing his touch for a while there, but hes right back on track with these last reviews. Couldn't stop laughing through the whole thing.