Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
KingSephiroth post=6.69063.666215 said:
Wow. The Soul Calibur and fighting game fans are rabid, frothing at the mouth, and out on force today. I can't wait till Yahtzee's next mailbag response to ranting fans. It'll be funny to watch Yahtzee tell bodiddly83 that he's porking his mom.

LMAO
For the record, I'm not a fan of either. I recognize that the SC games are below average, and I don't really like playing fighting games most of the time. The problem is that Yahtzee here gives the entire genre a load of shit that it doesn't really deserve based on a few limited experiences with a lesser game. While I generally get bored with the SC style as well, it does have its strong points, and it's somewhat closed-minded of Yahtzee to overlook them entirely. Then again, that is what makes the review entertaining.

BentNeatly

Aug 25, 2008
I really like how anytime you put a massive spliff into a video, the only way you can show them holding them is like tacos. That's very satisfying.

Malmer

Apr 23, 2008
Well the main point of this game IS to make you a Mary Poppins character, going online, and beating the crap out of everyone. Now that's fun.

So the fact that someone's ethernet cable is once again missing from the console, and afterwards delivers half a story, makes this whole thing kinda meh'ish.

The tidbits about the rest of this games is spot on though.

Mojotusks

Jul 13, 2008
bodiddly84 post=6.69063.666503 said:
KingSephiroth post=6.69063.666215 said:
Wow. The Soul Calibur and fighting game fans are rabid, frothing at the mouth, and out on force today. I can't wait till Yahtzee's next mailbag response to ranting fans. It'll be funny to watch Yahtzee tell bodiddly83 that he's porking his mom.

LMAO
STFU you ***** ass nut-rider. Im not even that big a fan of SC4. I just recognise bullshit when I hear it and Cuntzhee is full of it. Btw, a "showdown" would imply that the combatants are on some kind of equal footing. Not some cock sucker making a fucking video and talking his shit. Its a oneside conversation at that point.
At least he gets paid for it where as you being a **** on a comments page is as demeaning as what your mum does for money every night.

KingSephiroth

May 22, 2008
SeaCalMaster post=6.69063.666548 said:
STFU you ***** ass nut-rider. Im not even that big a fan of SC4. I just recognise bullshit when I hear it and Cuntzhee is full of it. Btw, a "showdown" would imply that the combatants are on some kind of equal footing. Not some cock sucker making a fucking video and talking his shit. Its a oneside conversation at that point.
LOL!

I love it when the rabid frothing at the mouth idiotic fanboys claim they're not fanboys, then prove their obvious lie and stupidity by accentuating their post with a bunch of 4th grade playground profanity and nonsensical ranting. Way to go, dude! You sure showed me! And I'm sure Yahtzee's feelings are all hurt now. He's probably crying right now while he's ramming your mom from the back. LOL

Anyway, relax man. It's just a review. Learn to laugh. I like SSBB, and I found Yahtzee's review of that hilarious.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
KingSephiroth post=6.69063.666852 said:
SeaCalMaster post=6.69063.666548 said:
LOL!

I love it when the rabid frothing at the mouth idiotic fanboys claim they're not fanboys, then prove their obvious lie and stupidity by accentuating their post with a bunch of 4th grade playground profanity and nonsensical ranting. Way to go, dude! You sure showed me! And I'm sure Yahtzee's feelings are all hurt now. He's probably crying right now while he's ramming your mom from the back. LOL

Anyway, relax man. It's just a review. Learn to laugh. I like SSBB, and I found Yahtzee's review of that hilarious.
Ahem... I don't believe I wrote that bit. Please fix it.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
A fighting game that Yahtzee may like is probably Guilty Gear. Probably sharp reload because it has a story mode to get him concentrated on something aside from the game itself. It has some of the most unique characters in gaming history (even weirder then psychonauts), and great looks to boot. For example: A 9 foot tall doctor that wears a paper bag on his head, fights with a giant scaple, and can fly with an umbrella like Marry Poppins, A cross-dressing bounty hunter that fights with a yo-yo and a teddy bear, a man that slips threw time that looks like Axl-Rose, a gay assassin that fights with billiard balls and a pool cue, an emo grim reaper like guy that fights with a scythe made of blood, and many more. Even if he doesn't like the gameplay too much, a game featuring all these things simply cannot be criticized, it's against the law or something :p.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
Aginor27 post=6.69063.648852 said:
But then I'd play with my wife, and what would she do? Button mash me to death while I tried to pull off some Zhangief style 360 degree spin, and end up dying at the hands of someone who thinks action gaming means "Kings Quest point and click"
That is because you dont know how to do the 360 throw properly. As an avid Zangief player i recommend doing this to pull off the Spinning pile driver (spd). instead of starting at up then doing the motion, press either towards or back, then do a tiger knee like motion ending in up and press punch then. If done right, you can do this while still standing.
A lazy to pull it off (and one of the most effective)is to hit the opponent with a light kick, then put in the spd with a slight delay so that either blocked or hit, you will throw them right as they recover. This is known as a tick throw. You can go on to beat your wife now... in a good way.

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
WoW there is a LOT of hate on this Video Comment! The amount of hate is just amazing.

Soul Caliber is much like a complicated Smash Bros game, instead of each move having a combo you instead make up what you have. I mean unlike Tekken, you invent your own moves, and half the move set is centered around knocking the opponent off the ledge, the other half the hp bar.

I played only a set piece fight with Yoda and noticed that the Grab is the easy win against the comp players, as they somehow were able to grab ME from a distance I thought was unreachable. However it was only the first story battle I got to play, as the disk was scratched and had to take it back to Block Buster for a new rental (EDF 2017 ftw).

And now looking back at the short time I played it, I was kinda disappointed, it felt like I was playing Soul Caliber 3 again. Also seriously, they need to improve on that story feature and then the game would be awesome, heck I can hardly tell what connects all the games together at this point, SC3 didn't exactly explain how Sigfried freed himself from Nightmare.

Klendt

Aug 20, 2008
KingSephiroth post=6.69063.666852 said:
NOTSEACAL LOLOL post=6.69063.666548 said:
RIP AND TEAR! YOU'RE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!
LOL!

You're not going to get anyone to relax by opening with a statement that they're criminally insane pitchfork-and-torch-wielding zealots, and nor does implying that their mothers put out with alarming frequency help. In fact, at that point, people are fully justified in ignoring you.
For what it's worth, yes. I am a fanboy. But I'd far rather be a complete dick and know what the hell I'm talking about than be an easy-to-please pleb who's never known the joy of outwitting and besting a skilled opponent in a fair match.
And as for thinly-veiled-alt-man's clusterfuckbombs, some anvils need to be dropped, obviously, because it's apparent not a damned one of his words is getting through to you lot.

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008
Bombader post=6.69063.668545 said:
WoW there is a LOT of hate on this Video Comment! The amount of hate is just amazing.

Soul Caliber is much like a complicated Smash Bros game, instead of each move having a combo you instead make up what you have. I mean unlike Tekken, you invent your own moves, and half the move set is centered around knocking the opponent off the ledge, the other half the hp bar.
true, but for me it's just way too complicated and I enjoy the 3d mortal kombats more. the combos need to be remembered but if you remember them right you most likely are able to do them. I can't do any combos in soul calibur and really don't want to because they're so short. and whoever made it so the combo list in soul calibur 4 has letters that are irrelevant to your controller setup could just go die. I don't want to pgggkkk I want to see either shapes relevant to the way my controller is setup if I'm on the PS3 or letters relevant to my control setup on the xbox360.

Also, people, stop mentioning the multiplayer. If the game has singleplayer yahtzee will base his review on that. If the game is only supposed to be multiplayer than there shouldn't be a single player for anything except training. If there's going to be a single player it shouldn't be extremely flawed and if you have a story it shouldn't be extremely flawed

ps. it's thursday and we have no review yet, what the fuck.

jedikv

Oct 19, 2007
Although I thought SC4 was great, this was a funny video but his review was off (not his opinion but his reasoning).

Using the same measuring stick to compare very different types of games to it is very flawed, much like using a ruler to measure weight or volume.

alejandro1p

Aug 28, 2008
The only points I really wanted to make were these:

1) I feel if you are playing a fighting game for the story, You shouldn't be playing fighting games, because you see, the focus is the fighting. There really is no other way to see it, I'm sorry. I could understand if the fighting was stagnant or the controls were clunky, but that isn't the case. There is a lot of depth to soul calibur.

2) Fighting games are centered around the fact that they are two player games. No one really cares how you do against computers. If you don't have other people to play with, you will inevitably be terrible at the game. Despite what people think this game is and never will be a button masher. When you play people who are decent at the game. They react to your play style. If you are button mashing a vertical slash, guess what? They are just going to parry it and counter you.

I'm not a SC fan but I am a fighting game fan.

Sandoggg

Jul 25, 2008
alejandro1p post=6.69063.674877 said:
The only points I really wanted to make were these:

1) I feel if you are playing a fighting game for the story, You shouldn't be playing fighting games, because you see, the focus is the fighting. There really is no other way to see it, I'm sorry. I could understand if the fighting was stagnant or the controls were clunky, but that isn't the case. There is a lot of depth to soul calibur.

2) Fighting games are centered around the fact that they are two player games. No one really cares how you do against computers. If you don't have other people to play with, you will inevitably be terrible at the game. Despite what people think this game is and never will be a button masher. When you play people who are decent at the game. They react to your play style. If you are button mashing a vertical slash, guess what? They are just going to parry it and counter you.

I'm not a SC fan but I am a fighting game fan.
Both good points, and points that a video game reviewer should really learn. Fighting games like this and Brawl are so much better when played with other people.

Also it wouldn't hurt to do a little research about a game and get the facts before you take off points for a 'misspelling'.

Unprofessional, but then again, these reviews aren't to be taken seriously.

Sephlock

Feb 25, 2008
Who is that in the "technical difficulties" picture? Its been a while since we've seen Yahtzee but I don't remember him looking like that.

And I guess a review of Burst Limit would be too much to ask for, it being no longer new and anime based. Oh well.

*edit*

I'm pretty sure he was just messing around about the spelling... hes not that dumb, guys.

Although he DID misspell his correction by not using the vastly improved AMERICAN spelling ;).

The Gil-Monster

Nov 26, 2007
I just played the demo. O embleer Frith. What the hell happened to Tira's voice?

Great. ANOTHER squeaky chirpy twerp. Just out of coincidence, it also destroys her entire bi-polar personality and takes away what we so enjoyed about that character in the first place.

Great work, Namco. Keep your game. Let the Jedi Knights play it; I'm gone. If you need me, I'll be in Metropolis fighting Scorpion.

Yours,
a very unhappy Gil-Monster

adafuns

Aug 2, 2008
bodiddly83 post=6.69063.663264 said:
"if he likes interactive movies than whats with his beef with MSG4? It seems like your feelings were hurt with this review little boy. ohh, and btw, anyone who takes yahtzee seriously is retarded."

MG$4 is marketed to the games are art asshats out there. They just think the people are so fucking stupid(not knowing the diference between a game and a fucking movie) that they have to repeat dialog over and over again.

My feelings are hurt that easymode bitches talk shit about shit they dont understand and cannt do.

yutzhee takes himself seriously, and thats the fucking problem.

Im a little boy.

Youre a little *****.
your both a little boy, and a little *****. just look at you, bitching about something stupid, while saying the word fucking after every three words lol. it shows how dumb and immature you are. you are also an idiot if you think yatzhee takes himself seriously.

so lets see here, we have established that you are of the following:

a *****
an immature child
and a retarded fool

you are not doing to well in your life little boy.