Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

Tigz

Apr 23, 2008
Lol, it's true the game is a lot of bollocks, My friend and i purchased it for her Xbox 360 and after about an hour of playing (and having finished 7 stories) we decided it would be more fun poking her chihuahua with a stick until i had to leave.... that plus...
Canberra got a mention XD!!!

Bane3123

Sep 6, 2008
i thought this game was pretty good, i will admit that i wanted to get it to try out vader, but he is still my favourite character, and all in all i think its a good game

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
Sandoggg post=6.69063.675376 said:
these reviews aren't to be taken seriously.
considering Yahtzee's humourous show, simply feeds upon every games numerous flaws, that most people think but fail to say.

as like most reviews, they are biased upon the persons uniqueness, you shouldn't be taking it down like the 10 commandments, or try and force feed your love/hate onto others, rather use it as something to compare against. for the numerous quotes about yahtzee being pompous in a way, hes really another person selling his humourous opinion, i doubt he trolls these forums getting off on all the positive feedback all that much or listening/burning the insignificant hatemail.

not to provide a negative reflection on his work, i enjoy his show and look forward to it every week. just don't take it seriously.

schoolboyeric

May 15, 2008
Ok i've played the whole game and it was addicting and quite difficult(the last 10 or so floors at least throwing generally does not work)... its like supersmash (this is the big kids version with more tits and bigger weapons)... i like challenges and yes the throw button is one strategy but if your playing against someone that constantly throws you just gotta use a ability that stops throws... also any game has cheap moves(aka pikachu and lightning bolt, unreal tournament the redeemer, Halo 3- Swords..etc)...
i love Tira the character the most.. if she was not in the game i would not of bought it...

satanrules

Dec 6, 2007
Beating Soul Caliblehk is akin to a retarded child eating vegetables. As long as you can slam your fingers down in a clusterfuck type manner you have an excellent chance of conquering any title in this series. No skill or thought required whatsoever. Nail on the head Ben, nice job.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Ironically, I only bought Soul Calibur II for the GameCube because Link was in it, so now I'm a fan of the series...

outcastyamato

Oct 4, 2008
Yahtzee is right. I dislike the story mode and 1 player. It can Fuck off. However, I dislike it not because of flaws, but because the coms are often flaming dickheads whose only concern is to either flee or get into blowjob stance on the ground. The grabs in this game have been powered up to avoid the blocking capabilities that belong only to the characters of SC 1, 2, 3, and Troy. That is, however, where my agreement with Yahtzee ends. Try endlessly grabbing human player and you're on a straight shot toward getting flogged with your own spine. Overall, this is a serious fighting game (Oh what the hell, fanboy time) MEANT for MULTIPLAYER, that has a better story than "Naruto: Clash of the semi-ninja/circus clown 50th pinball panic" or other retarded fighters, and is definitely a better designed one than most fighters to ever be released. (Obvious pioneers excluded)

1deano1

Oct 6, 2008
this will never get old :) no matter how many times you watch these videos you will still laugh until you crap yourself

Novan Leon

Dec 10, 2007
Incidentally, the throws of a few characters are overpowered against the CPU, but I don't think that means they're necessary overpowered in multiplayer.

I bean the last 5 stages of the tower with NOTHING but Voldo's default grab.

nightcreeper

Nov 1, 2008
the soul calibur seris i belive is a seris that u really need to play all of them to get involved in the small storyline there is. the problum is that to fully understand the story line you have to really be into it. And whats wrong with putting some cool characters in from other games or whatever i always thought it was a great idea.button mashing really is just not cool every fighting game has combos in it for a reason so that you can have a sense of prie for being able to use a character amazingly so when ppl buttonmash it just ruins it

for all you ppl that button mash i dare you to try to play withoput button mashing

Eye_of_set

Sep 14, 2008
I generally like ZP a lot and while this was sort of funny i don't understand how you can sulk about a fighter being a fighter. No there's no story, it's a game of skill and wit in which you play against another human, not for a story or against the shoddy AI. If you don't like playing competitively then that's quite fine, and you don't have to like fighters...i just think it's weird to dog on them for being what they are.

FoNzO

Nov 20, 2008
Allthough I love the Mortal Kombat series I would really enjoy seeing you destroy MK V's DC!!! You gotta pick out Lex Luthor being in the game which is a bigger "money making franchise gang bang" joke than the game it's self. His "FATALITY" is probally escaping in a hot air baloon or maybe writing a cheque?

Vicare

Dec 3, 2008
Funny, the EVE trailer at the end, you will be doing more of the stock managing that they showed first than any fighting. Worst spent money since I bought the latest Santana album...

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
Eye_of_set said:
I generally like ZP a lot and while this was sort of funny i don't understand how you can sulk about a fighter being a fighter. No there's no story, it's a game of skill and wit in which you play against another human, not for a story or against the shoddy AI. If you don't like playing competitively then that's quite fine, and you don't have to like fighters...i just think it's weird to dog on them for being what they are.
Remember he just doesn't "get" the features behind fighting games. I'm pretty sure Yahtzee probably wondered what the whole hubbub behind SFII was all about back in the day. Not to mention his review on Super Smash Bros. He just hates fighting games with a burning passion and I've grown used to it. Now I know that if I'm looking for a review on fighting games I'll look to another reviewer. Even if it's going to be the second coming for fighters, it's not going to be good enough for him.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Akalabeth said:
His point on fighting games is very valid. I used to go to an arcade most days at University and play SC2 and could consistently beat the campaign. But then one day I had a female friend who'd never played before throw in a few quarters and kicked the crap out of me because she was just hitting the buttons in a completely random manner. Or take something like Street Fighter, where pretty much everyone I know plays Ken or Ryu, and many people in the original just do some cheapass fireball throwing until you move into attack at which point they do an uppercut. How is that really strategy or skill? It's just cheap crap.
If you lose to button mashing or single move spam, it's because you're rubbish at the game. Simple as that. A button masher in Soul Calibur is going to get blocked and throw punished, if you're marginally competent, and a single move spammer will always be defeated by a simple counter move to whatever they do.

I realize the game is probably made in Japan, but for such a major line, why not have the korean characters speak korean, the chinese ones speak mandarin? How fricken hard would it be to get some proper voice acting?
Oddly, they actually do that in Tekken 5, but not Soul Calibur.