Zero Punctuation: South Park: The Stick of Truth - Yes, There Really Were Crying Koalas

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
South Park: The Stick of Truth - Yes, There Really Were Crying Koalas

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Fans of the show will like it, and I do expect to like it as well. Jim Sterling did summarise it as a twelve hour South Park episode after all.

But I'm glad to have had this review, and even more glad to see the South Park characters make it into the template Zero Punctuation characters.

Edit: I do hope the game gives the impression of Matt and Trey liking video games, because the three parter Xbox One/PS4/Game of Thrones thing ended in "Fuck video games and go outside, with a surely hilarious ironic joke for this game".

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I had fun with Stick of Truth. But I've been a fan of the show since it launched, so it's to be expected I'd say so.

Still, enjoyed the review. Thanks Yahtzee.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I watched Kathleen from LRR play it on her stream on YouTube (Kathleen Saves the World). It was amusing, I suppose. I know she found the Canadian parts pretty spot on. I did find some parts of it funny, but the rest was just? eh. I suppose, since I never watched the show, I was not in the target market for the game, either.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Soooooooooooo.......

It'll get a tiresome as the show did during it's second series?
all the same gags as the first series... none of the quaint charm of the first?

Thanks for the warning Yahtzee!

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
If Trey Parker and Matt Stone are working on video games in some rudimentary sense, then I want to see Baseketball 2K15.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
have been watching the show since day 1.
was thinking of getting this game but im not a fan of turned based combat.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
Enigma of Amigara Fault reference FUCK YES! (EDIT: Dammit, beaten to it.)

Also, Re: Creators successfully transitioning to another medium, do note that Parker and Stone did manage to turn a twenty-odd-minute construction-paper cartoon about anal-probing aliens into an eighty-minute long feature film (a musical film to boot, that skewers Disney, Les Miserables and takes on the issue of censorship of the media) and then went on to co-create the award-winning Broadway musical The Book of Mormon. I'd say that they've proven that they can transition quite well (though admittedly, they did actually start out their creative partnership with a musical feature film, Cannibal! The Musical).

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I had fun with this game.

I would however, I think, have liked it more if it stuck to the whole fantasy LARP thing. It was a really interesting style of storytelling for me, and whenever the aliens and zombies were a thing I just rushed through it hoping for more LARP fun.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Admittedly, I don't watch the show often - just for the odd episode I like - but I do want to give the game a try at some point... even if aspects of it turn me off a bit... but then this is South Park, a series known for being rather messed-up...

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Hmmm. Strange episode but then it was foreshadowed by Yahtzee himself.

As for the game. I really quite enjoyed it. It really did feel like I was playing a really long episode of Southpark and it did genuinely make me laugh in places. I also thought some of the jokes they incorporated which would only work in a video game, were pretty damn funny/clever.

I must say that I too had stopped watching the show and again like Yahtzee it wasn't because I was miffed at it or anything. Just lost interest, but that didn't stop me from playing through the game once and enjoying it.
I felt it was just long enough but it's not a game I can see myself going back to.
Oh, and whilst I do agree that the series did ride the 'Taboo Horse' to death, I feel like there were some taboos that were a first for actual video games. Well from the ones I have experienced anyway.

Metalrocks said:
was thinking of getting this game but im not a fan of turned based combat.
I'm not really either but I feel they made it fun enough. There's some QTE (sounds worse than it is) type stuff which means it's not all just 'click-click. Watch things happen'. It makes you stay on your toes and rewards good timing like with the special attacks and blocking/parrying.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Yo Yahtzee this games been out longer than most of the recent titles you've reviewed com-

*Yahtzee covers that exact point in the video*

Oh well then, hmmmm carry on.

"Fans.Of.The.Show.Will.Like.Iiiiiitt!!"
"This week two reviews for the price of one! The show and the game, come one come all!"

OT: Interesting review, was a bit more refreshing than your usual ones due to the nature of the IP and had a blast with your "typical reviewer" persona on a game that's so over the top and taking the piss, what's left to shit on.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I actually really liked this game. Its very solid and funny, if short and a little flat at some points. But I loved playing it and will probably replay it the not too distant future

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Not having played Paper Mario, that description of gameplay features and combat mechanics actually made me think of Costume Quest instead, which - incidentally - reminded me of South Park when I played it, even though it was way less rude and violent, of course. But the overall atmosphere made me think of some of their old Halloween episodes.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
The South Park parts of the game are spot on, but the gameplay is soooo boring. Just, mind-numbingly bad. Why do I have to keep fighting these things? Can't I just skip to the next clever bit of dialog? Please?

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Uratoh said:
...Did I see a reference to the Enigma of Amigara Fault in there?
Yes, yes you did. High five for obscure manga reference!

OT: I do like South Park still, though it's not aging particularly well, and I do own this game, I just still haven't been bothered to play it. Either I really have become that Spectator playing adult or residual South Park games have me secretly afraid.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
The game is less bioware and more paper mario. I'm sorry to hear about the over the top censors for the Australian version but after having to sit though some of that crap in the American version, I wish they had a censor option.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
That was an enjoyable and fun game. All the stuff they censored was pointless as they showed nothing offensive, especially when you considered what one of the last levels were. Everyone should buy it.