Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Jonluw

New member
May 23, 2010
7,245
0
0
Oh my god. That must have been the best pun ever.
Also: Yahtzee using a rage face?
I never thought I'd see the day.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
RaikuFA said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
RaikuFA said:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to.
Say what? Never heard this one. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for clarification.
http://i.imgur.com/j2CQY.jpg

Saw this and turned me away from this game, but I still feel its BS.
Woooooooow. Really hope that's not true, because that's just BAD.
 

LetalisK

New member
May 5, 2010
2,769
0
0
ZippyDSMlee said:
I am waiting on them to allow Jedi to dual wield pistols.
Roll a Bounty Hunter, choose Mercenary, then wear the customizable Sith Warrior robes. Or Roll a Smuggler, choose Gunslinger, then wear the customizable Jedi Sentinel armor.
 

Enosh_

New member
Aug 27, 2008
55
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
RaikuFA said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
RaikuFA said:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to.
Say what? Never heard this one. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for clarification.
http://i.imgur.com/j2CQY.jpg

Saw this and turned me away from this game, but I still feel its BS.
Woooooooow. Really hope that's not true, because that's just BAD.
aa yes, little snips of text without any context whatsoever
obviously must be 100% true and accurate
 

BlackFrost55

New member
Jan 20, 2010
9
0
0
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Oh, you played a Smuggler...I'm so sorry. I found it to be one of the worst stories in the game.

Imperial Agent (the Empire equivalent of Smuggler) being the best, of course. While the Smuggler story felt phoned in and padded, the Imperial Agent story progressed in such a logical and compelling way that I didn't feel like I was just being dragged to the next planet along with everyone else.

Plus, it actually feels like a fun and unique addition to the Star Wars universe. You get to see the Empire in a different light than you usually do, the morality is more interesting, and it doesn't revolve around the Jedi and Sith (who have both gotten very boring). Plus you get to be Space James Bond, so that's cool too. (It also has the best cast of companion characters by far, not counting the first one you get. She's horrible. But her unrelenting bitchiness does get kind of funny.)

Of course what happens after you reach 50 is a different story. I'm pretty much just sitting around waiting for expansions now. But I will play them; I just love the characters that much.
This. All of it. The Imperial Agent is by far the best story I've seen in the game so far. The Smuggler story is just so damn disappointing, and if I had started with Smuggler instead of Imperial Agent I probably would've quit the game weeks ago.
 

Blindrooster

New member
Jul 13, 2009
589
0
0
DVS BSTrD said:
So apparently even if you chose ranged combat you still end-up spending a good chuck of the game fiddling with your lightsaber.
......If you choose a ranged class you never touch a lightsaber, if you choose a jedi class you never touch a pistol.
 

Blindrooster

New member
Jul 13, 2009
589
0
0
DVS BSTrD said:
So apparently even if you chose ranged combat you still end-up spending a good chuck of the game fiddling with your lightsaber.
......If you choose a ranged class you never touch a lightsaber, if you choose a jedi class you never touch a pistol.
 

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
9,909
0
0
RaikuFA said:
Not playing this one till I know if its true that you get banned for being in a higher level than you're supposed to, and I'm really hoping its fake.
It's not fake, just somewhat misrepresented... the problems involved aren't quite what some people reported they were.

What happened was Bioware put all these high level treasure chests into open-world PVP zones on high level planets, presumably to draw people into them on PVE servers so they will kill people over the loot. There are however no NPCs or monsters present.

A few enterprising players decided it would be a fun way to become rich with minimal effort by exploiting knowlege from Beta, heading to these high level planets, and grabbing level 40-50 loot with their level 15 characters. With no monsters, and nobody really doing much PVP in such zones that have no other point on PVE servers, they pretty much just sat there collecting the chests as they re-spawn.

Now, here is where things are both good and bad. Bioware did NOT come swooping down like the hand of god and smacking people with the banhammer for exploiting. Rather arbitrary code inside the game banned these players as gold farmers, since this basic behavior (farming chest... which farmers in some games used very complicated botting for) is well known. Basically the game recognized that they were picking up the same chests for hours and hours on end without doing anything else in the game, and their characters didn't even really belond in the location they were in. As a result they wound up getting auto-banned and locked out of EA.

Now this is a good thing and a bad thing, the guys were exploiting by working the system to get an advantage, and this kind of thing is a problem with gold farmers (or credit farmers in Old Republic Online), the big problem is there was no real human review process here since apparently EA/Bioware doesn't want to pay people GMs to you know... actually act like GMs. There should have been warnings, or at least someone looking at the situation. These guys DID deserve to have their ill-gotten gains deleted, perhaps with the deletion of the characters they were farming with, but permanantly locking them out of ToR, and banning them from all their other EA products by association for this when nobody actually stepped in? That's a bit excessive.

On the positive side this does send a hardcore message to exploiters, but it also does show that the system is running on autopilot, and that's never a good thing.

The point here is that you can go to whatever planet you want to, you don't get banned for going to higher level zones or anything, you won't even get banned for picking up high level treasure chests. But if you do something fairly shady like this... they aren't letting it go like in other games.

-

As far as Yahtzee's review goes, he's spot on about a lot of things. I really want to like this game, but he's correct that it's probably going to wind up getting crushed by WoW because in the final equasion it's a mere shadow of what it could have been. The space combat aspects of things are a huge joke, and while the storylines are nice, they do run into problems. The Smuggler bit is a good example of disjointed storytelling that doesn't nessicarly make a lot of sense, in my case I tend to look at the Jedi Counslar I've been playing as another example, but I don't want to post spoilers.

We'll see how things pan out, I don't think ToR is going to be a failure in the long run, but I don't expect it to be continuous blockbuster a lot of people heralded it as. Sadly, looking at area populations on the server I'm playing on, it does seem the crowds are thinning out.
 

Racecarlock

New member
Jul 10, 2010
2,497
0
0
Most critics merely roast games. Yahtzee throws them into volcanoes with walls lined with tits. Such is the case with this one. I mean, damn.
 

doggy go 7

New member
Jul 28, 2010
261
0
0
Otaku World Order said:
"So this is why they called him Han Solo."

Greatest. Closing line. EVER!
you can tell the only reason he did the review is to get that line in.
 

00slash00

New member
Dec 29, 2009
2,321
0
0
why are people getting upset over the space sections in tor? do you remember the space sections in the original kotor, and how much it sucked? i remember literally cheering any time i went to a new planet without having to tolerate a poorly done space combat sequence
 

ZippyDSMlee

New member
Sep 1, 2007
3,959
0
0
LetalisK said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I am waiting on them to allow Jedi to dual wield pistols.
Roll a Bounty Hunter, choose Mercenary, then wear the customizable Sith Warrior robes. Or Roll a Smuggler, choose Gunslinger, then wear the customizable Jedi Sentinel armor.
No Force powers no thanks.
 

Sledgimus

New member
Aug 15, 2008
62
0
0
00slash00 said:
why are people getting upset over the space sections in tor? do you remember the space sections in the original kotor, and how much it sucked? i remember literally cheering any time i went to a new planet without having to tolerate a poorly done space combat sequence
Because people have the unreasonable expectation that a company might improve its product since 2003, especially when it's a feature people bitched about at the time.

Anyway, meh. MMO. Don't care. Make KOTOR 3 or GTFO, Bioware.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
12,010
0
41
Country
United States
Yeah, everyone's already mentioned the inaccuracy so I won't go into it. Good video though. Despite liking the game myself I think it deserved a lot more flack than what Yahtzee gave it. You went to ease on it!
 

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
4,535
3
43
Country
Australia
Reviewing an MMO in a week, unless you're playing 140 hours in 7 days, not going to be that accurate =/

I was considering getting this, but now I think I'm going to wait for GW2 after listening to ZP =D
 

Lunar Templar

New member
Sep 20, 2009
8,225
0
0
clean living pace keepers .... yeah, who are better programmed then the fucking droids :p

screw the Jedi hippie twats, Sith, yo
 

00slash00

New member
Dec 29, 2009
2,321
0
0
Sledgimus said:
00slash00 said:
why are people getting upset over the space sections in tor? do you remember the space sections in the original kotor, and how much it sucked? i remember literally cheering any time i went to a new planet without having to tolerate a poorly done space combat sequence
Because people have the unreasonable expectation that a company might improve its product since 2003, especially when it's a feature people bitched about at the time.

Anyway, meh. MMO. Don't care. Make KOTOR 3 or GTFO, Bioware.
its an mmo based on kotor. since the space sections in kotor were rail shooters, it stands to reason that the space sections in tor would be rail shooters too. if nothing else, these rail shooting sections have been greatly improved. this isnt a space exploration mmo, if people want that then they should go play eve online. and this IS kotor 3, or as close to it as youre gonna get. i dont even really like mmos that much and im enjoying tor 10x more than i ever enjoyed kotor