Zero Punctuation: Tales of Monkey Island

xanith02100

Feb 1, 2009
The accent was really amusing. Though Irish accent at Yahtzee speeds is very hard to understand at times. @_@

FrogDude14

May 9, 2009
I hate to say it but... I didn't laugh. Oh! Except when he said he could've used the time to beat his wife. I LOL'd at that part.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Jman1236 said:
I was expecting the new Batman which was hinted at last week but I guess once again it hasn't been released in Austuria yet
Austuria?

atomicmrpelly

Apr 23, 2009
How come like the first 10 comments were all buried?! Some of them deserved it, like "First!" but there's on that just says they like the video... Seems a little harsh!

Anyway with regards Romeo and Juliet you may not be aware that trying to give it a happy ending has been done! Prokofiev wrote a ballet of it and he changed the ending because he thought it was too depressing! It did not go down very well with audiences... and rightly so cos it's rubbish!!!

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Why do the first posts on a ZP thread always get the author suspended?(or banned or put on probation)

DMcC

Apr 14, 2009
On behalf of all the irish i can claim to represent i thank you for your use of the BEST ACCENT EVER!! Finaly some one who's taking the piss can have a passable voice to go with the jokes.

Your always welcome on our island ;)

Malacite

Feb 21, 2009
O.O cripes a lot of people got banned/on probation wow.

On topic, Yahtzee is so right about fans wanting to show "respect" to their old favorites and then turning them into crap.... like every new season of the Simpsons (the original writers left years ago and it shows)

Leave the series revivals to the pros.

Hugo Artenis Rune

Mar 19, 2009
LaBambaMan said:
"Shiver me Shamrocks" is, by far, one of the greatest things i've ever heard...maybe it's the lack of sleep or the fact that everything is going wrong in my life these days but that made me laugh more than it should have, and i'm Irish.
I'm Irish too but I'm left with the lingering suspicion that although I had a laugh at the review I don't actually know if the game was any good or not.

Perhaps I should listen again.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
At the risk of hopelessly side-tracking this thread:

wildpeaks said:
Wow I had no idea, I only had a 1.0 kickstart (I don't know about the rest of the config, I was too young).
Kickstart 1.0 was the very first AmigaOS release for the Amiga 1000, and it was quite buggy. 1.1 came out shortly afterward and fixed a lot of them (though some of the bugs ended up getting baked into the spec when programs started relying on them). 1.2 tidied things up even further, and 1.3 introduced the first real support for hard disks, back when ST-506 interfaces [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST-506] ruled the roost (trust me; y'all have it easy now).

Two things tripped up most software. The first was FAST RAM, i.e. RAM that couldn't be accessed by the custom chips, so programs that blithely called
Code:
malloc()
without bothering to specify what kind of memory they wanted would end up depositing graphics data into the wrong memory bank, and then the program would display whatever happened to be laying at the same offset in CHIP RAM at the time.

The other was the advent of the 68020, which had a full 32-bit address bus, unlike its predecessor, which only used 24 bits. Seems some would-be "clever" people were sticking data into the upper 8 bits of pointers. The 68020 would pass out these extra eight bits on to the bus, which caused the "clever" programs to explode very nicely.

Bill Williams avoided both of these, as well as many other pitfalls -- many of them years before they actually became issues.

wildpeaks said:
Indeed, a programmer like there should be more. :(
True, dat.

jamiemac

May 17, 2008
Wow. Not that funny. I mean, I'm used to Yahtzee being wrong about a lot of things but usually he's pretty funny in doing so. This time... barely made me smirk. Disappointing.

Farson89

Apr 16, 2009
The Irish accent was spectacular. Also, I'd love to check out the first 2 Monkey Island games but it seems that to do that I would also have to get my hand on an old and obscure games machine. Perhaps I'll look them up in a few years when I can better afford it.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I don't get why people do the whole first thing, I look at the comments section on every video every week (although I don't often post unless I really feel like I have some thing to post that is relevant) and I see people post first or complimenting the movie seconds after the video as been posted, now I have some talents but I even I can't watch a five minute video all the way through and post a review of it ten seconds after it's been posted, I also notice that these people get Banned for it... but the question is if some one could quickly fill me in... why are they doing it??, do these people get a kick out of creating a new account every week just for it to be disabled just to say first??... just seems a little sad to be honest... maybe these people should get lives... tad Ironic coming from a guy who's first thing he does after getting home from training on a Wednesday is watch the latest review while running the bath in :)

Also like a good few of you I was sort of hoping for the Batman review this week, ho well this review was good, not played the game so I can't offer my analysis but well I don't watch these movie's to make my mind up on a game, I watch them because there good fun.

supremeaaron

Sep 2, 2009
I want to say firstly I hate that Hollywood style Irish accent. I have never heard anyone in Ireland speak like that at all. The only thing that was redeemable was unlike most people outside of Ireland you actually know its history so I guess I can respect you for that much, but then you throw in the guinness and the potatoes and the wife beating. 1)Not everyone in Ireland loves guinness (I am Irish and I hate the stuff) 2)So Irish people only had mostly potatoes to eat for a while, why do people keep trying to make jokes about that? 3) The wife beating all I can say is what?

Yahtzee I respect you but this is a low point for you.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Well jaysus and begorrah, Yahtzee can do a better Irish accent than me, and I'm from the arse-end of rural Ireland! Ah well, 'tis no problem, to be sure, to be sure.
Ahem, sorry about that. I quite liked the review, and might actually try out the old Monkey Island series. Am I the only one who has slightly mixed feelings regarding the resurgence of 90's-style adventure games on the PC?

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
supremeaaron said:
I want to say firstly I hate that Hollywood style Irish accent. I have never heard anyone in Ireland speak like that at all. The only thing that was redeemable was unlike most people outside of Ireland you actually know its history so I guess I can respect you for that much, but then you throw in the guinness and the potatoes and the wife beating. 1)Not everyone in Ireland loves guinness (I am Irish and I hate the stuff) 2)So Irish people only had mostly potatoes to eat for a while, why do people keep trying to make jokes about that? 3) The wife beating all I can say is what?

Yahtzee I respect you but this is a low point for you.
Dude, I think you're taking this a little too seriously. He's taking the mick (har har) out of the stereotypical Irishman depicted in the media, so it's not like he's gravely insulting us.