Zero Punctuation: Tales of Monkey Island

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
Exhuming videogame series has a short-term effect of conveying glaring memories to sew back my broken heart, until I realize most revivals are crap and that my life is better now than as a fervent, allowance-less nipper.

Abandoning a series to die in virtue of its good name and moving on is merit I acknowledge.
Bathing an old game in gloss to extend the defibrillators' effectiveness in making the series spasm as signs of life is something that should be condemned.

Sometimes it is difficult, but....argh, damn you Super Mario World...you and your 4 megabits of nostalgic venom!

Keep up the good work Yahtzee, and that Irish accent is soothing when I'm pregnant with hatred.

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
Undead Dragon King said:
The Irish was so bad that it stole the show due to its hilarity. I was pretty confused about what direction you were going in sometimes though.
he was makin' fun of the Irish when he did that voice. you know like when he started talking about protestants,Guinness,leprechauns,beating your wive. i wasn't offended but i just hope you all know what he was trying to do.

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
letsnoobtehpwns said:
CaptainChaosify said:
Great review! I loved the Irish accent you made. You sound more Irish than I do but it was hard to understand what you were saying sometimes though. I doubt I'll buy Tales of monkey island.
letsnoobtehpwns said:
"IT could have saved me time that I could have used to beat my wife" So true!
Please don't stereotype Ireland. I bet you only got that idea from Family guy.
I hate Family Guy. Yahtzee said it in the review. I thought that was a very funny line.
Sorry I jumped to the conclusion, I only saw Family guy pulling stuff like that before. I thought it was hilarious when they did it but I only took your post any differently was because you put "So true" at the end of the sentence. I should think before I speak. Sorry again.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Bahahahahahahahahaha ....

Okay, done laughing at the Irish accent. Seriously, maybe I'm just easy to please but that stereotype was utterly hilarious. Worlds better than the South African accent from the Far Cry 2 in that he wasn't trying to randomly work it in.

Great review overall - always interesting to see his old loves collide with new reboots. Though I thought Curse of Monkey Island was really really good - plot was pretty much the original with a new paint swap but the voice acting was terrific and the puzzles interesting - but that could be because I played it before the first two. Escape from Monkey Island was a half-hearted effort though and certainly "a slimy white burst of fan-wank circling the shower drain."

Curious that he didn't mention anything about the remake of the original "Secret of Monkey Island" (TM) even as an offhand comment, but what can you do I suppose - we all know how he feels about remakes, even ones that are virtually verbatim copies of the original.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Wow, one of my favorite ZP reviews ever. The jokes, Irish accent or not, always had me laughing. I knew your opinion of the game as soon as you said "The first two games are still timelessly imaginative, sparkling, and very very funny, and therefore have no place in this review."

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Ah that was my first introducion to adventure as such.

Didn't really get as much play time with the originals and got fustrated with the Fecking banjo challenge.(if anyone knows what I mean any ideas how to solve the caber tossing thingy after it)

Checky_Girl

Jul 1, 2009
the first two games were (and probably still are) two of my favourite games ever. but i was a little dissapointed with the third and im not sure i can bring myself to play these new ones. i just get the feeling that they will make me want to tear my hair out.

the irish accent started out well, but i think it was sliping near the end.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
i was offended by the irish stero typing but it also made me laugh really hard so overall i find it ok.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Great video. I never actually played any of the Tales of Monkey Island games, but your review gives me a powerful JRPG vibe, so I'm glad I didn't.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Drat, blast, and fie! I was working on my own Monkey Island review (first time I've played it ever, honest), but there seems little point in it now...

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Ahh Amiga, it's because of its first "3D" game, the obscure Mindwalker (which you can glipse footages in old Amiga ads on youtube), that I knew little gaming me would grow up not only as a programmer, but a crazy 3d programmer.

And you know a game is old when it's creator has been dead for years, RIP Bill Williams (however I ran around for years in that damn game, believing the map was endless, only to find out 10 years later that what I thought was decoration was actually the mean to reach the upper levels.. aww..).