Zero Punctuation: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Yes! Light speed reviews are back!

I guess this is the next FPS for me, since I've skipped over Butcher Bay and stealth gameplay is kind of my thing.

LordOrin

Feb 19, 2009
I appreciated the spider tour bus reference to the Oblivion review. ZP always seems funniest to me when it's about spiders for some reason.

Bubski

Nov 16, 2008
I feel like I'm the only person on the ZP message boards who didn't get all the food references. Could someone explain?

Thediscoducky

Apr 17, 2008
Is it just me or was our charismatic stallion talking faster than usual in this review?
Hahahahahaha...."Riddick-ulous"

j_meister

Jul 20, 2008
Hmm... This one wasn't as funny as I expected Yahtzee. Still good though as other people have pointed out.
If the storyline for Assault on Salt&Vinegar didn't sound so lame I'd be annoyed at the spoiler.
I think I'll buy this to play Butcher Bya since I never experienced it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I think we should try and arrange for Vin Diseal to see this ;) Apparently he is actually abit of nerd (unfair, I know!) and likes D&D, so hell knows what'd happen. Possibly the Universe would impode....ok, maybe not.

Pantherman

May 30, 2008
I thought the review was both funny and informitive. I too have seen Vinny ruin a good movie or 2 by being in it, like the Rock (*Cough* DOOM *Cough. But to be fair that movie was runined when they wrote the script). Movies like "The fast and the furious" and "The Pacifier" have only weakened what little of a career that man has.

Yahtzee hit the nail on the head with this review.

Pantherman

AlvinFlummox

Apr 20, 2009
I quite enjoyed this review, especially the crisp / chip references, and the end bit was pretty funny too. Not his best review, but definitely not his worst!
As many people have mentioned, I also noticed that he spoke faster than some of his previous videos: it's really obvious when you watch the Psychonauts review followed by the Assault On Dark Athena review!
I think he could have gotten away with the 'Riddick-ulous' line too, especially after he used 'Baldur's gait' in a different review (can't remember which one).

LANCE420

Dec 23, 2008
petrolmonkey said:
What did happen to Vin Diesel's career?
Don't you know? IT was sacrificed and devoured to the Disney machine to appease that monster in that god awful movie.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
Kanashe said:
You can't make fun of a bad game, since it's already bad to begin with.
Uh... could you explain that one? Cause it kinda doesn't make sense to me. People make fun of bad games all the time. We make fun of them because they're bad. I mean, otherwise, people would be making fun of good games, which wouldn't make much sense at all. The only time I've ever seen anyone make fun of a good game is when they're blatantly expressing their fanboyism by shooting down an exclusive title.

Not that there aren't people who genuinely don't like exclusive titles for good reasons, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Just saying, fanboys seem to be the most vocal about it.

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
LANCE420 said:
petrolmonkey said:
What did happen to Vin Diesel's career?
Don't you know? IT was sacrificed and devoured to the Disney machine to appease that monster in that god awful movie.
Oh. My. God...And now the same thing is happening to The Rock! We can't let this happen!

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Wolfwind said:
Kanashe said:
You can't make fun of a bad game, since it's already bad to begin with.
Uh... could you explain that one? Cause it kinda doesn't make sense to me. People make fun of bad games all the time. We make fun of them because they're bad. I mean, otherwise, people would be making fun of good games, which wouldn't make much sense at all. The only time I've ever seen anyone make fun of a good game is when they're blatantly expressing their fanboyism by shooting down an exclusive title.

Not that there aren't people who genuinely don't like exclusive titles for good reasons, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Just saying, fanboys seem to be the most vocal about it.
Alright, let me explayin. When you're trying to make something as bad as Dark Athena or say Blood on the Sand, anyway you try to make it funny doesn't work. It's like trying to make fun of Disaster movie, the movie is already horrible, and every joke you'll try to make bout it won't work. Same goes with these bad games, they're already bad, wich make 'em already a huge joke to begin with. That's why I don't find such videos funny, since when you mention a game like "Dark Athena" you already know it's gonna be Vin Diesel jerking off in your face and throwing bad one-liners, it's already a joke. Or say like Blood on the Sand, a game wich stars the walking brain tumor aka 50Cent himself who kills people for a Crystal Skull, is already a joke, because no one can take such stupidity with a serious face.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
Kanashe said:
Alright, let me explayin. When you're trying to make something as bad as Dark Athena or say Blood on the Sand, anyway you try to make it funny doesn't work. It's like trying to make fun of Disaster movie, the movie is already horrible, and every joke you'll try to make bout it won't work. Same goes with these bad games, they're already bad, wich make 'em already a huge joke to begin with. That's why I don't find such videos funny, since when you mention a game like "Dark Athena" you already know it's gonna be Vin Diesel jerking off in your face and throwing bad one-liners, it's already a joke. Or say like Blood on the Sand, a game wich stars the walking brain tumor aka 50Cent himself who kills people for a Crystal Skull, is already a joke, because no one can take such stupidity with a serious face.
Oh okay, I see what you're saying. Well, I guess it comes down to personal taste then. Personally, I still think it's kind of funny when people rip on stuff that's bad, but this is coming from someone who didn't already know it's bad, so it's news to me.

Plus I guess it depends on how the person makes fun of the bad game/movie in question. Some people can be very clever about it. Seems quite a few people didn't think this week's Zero Punctuation was that funny though, so I guess it was a hit and miss thing this episode.

I got a couple of chuckles out of it, but then I'm someone who laughs at nearly everything. :)

Vices

May 7, 2009
If the Dawin concept of survival of the fittest is any indication,
one survivor of a proud warrior race means they were doing
something wrong.

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
Cool review haha. Hey Yatzee I just buy a horrible game and yes i am ashamed lol the name its STORMRISE something like that. I just play de first level (tutorial) and no more. THAT BAD. I have played bad games and i finish them but this one OMG i didnt like it.
My grammar may be bad, sorry english is not my first language.

Lukirre

Feb 24, 2009
PirateKing said:
I think this is the fastest Yahtzee's ever talked.
Yeah, I noted that too. It seemed more rushed from the beginning.
Thought it was just me.

Overall, I enjoyed this review.
Didn't think it was as funny as it could have been, though.

furgy117

Mar 17, 2009
God, I wonder what's next week. I hope it's X-Men. Great Review by the way, loved it.

LowFatLoki

Dec 25, 2008
Like always, another great review. And I'm glad that your back to the lighting fast talking speeds.