Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I would like to buy a WiiU at some point.

That point being when it's closer to $200 then $300 and when it has a Kirby game and Bayonetta and at least something that interests me outside of hopping on enemies with Mario's arse.
There's always Zelda, but that's a remake... Although there are rumors of a new Zelda for Wii U at this years E3.

My only problem with the Wii U is that the tablet/controller/game screen doesn't reach my bathroom. That, and every time I attempt to pick it up I get one hell of a static shock... though that's just me XD

I'm currently taking my time playing through Wind Waker and making it 100% for S&G's. At least till I can get another game.

ShiningMetaLord

Nov 9, 2012
MysticSlayer said:
Thanatos2k said:
How are these the same company? Don't ask me.
Keep in mind, two years ago the 3DS was also deemed a failure, even to the point where people were saying the iPhone had clearly made Nintendo's handhelds obsolete and that Nintendo should move to the iPhone market if it wanted to stay relevant to mobile gaming. It's sort of odd to think about now, but it is good to remember that Nintendo really only found its success with the 3DS last year, and before that it was the same doomsday scenario the Wii U is facing. Of course, I'm not saying the Wii U is going to suddenly become a massive success, and it has more to overcome than the 3DS, but it's still not like the 3DS has been without some trouble in the past either.

MoltenSilver said:
Wait, I should probably clarify that:
A GOOD Metroid game.

It's a sad day that I have to be specific with that qualifier relating to Metroid, but Team Ninja just had to go and ruin it for everyone.
Part of me just hopes that Retro Studios will finally be allowed to make a new one now after Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is pretty much complete. Don't get me wrong, I love Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country Returns was a fantastic game. Still, I would love to see them make another Metroid game.
Another Metroid title made by Retro for the Wii U? With Prime's gameplay style? I'd buy that immediately.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
CriticKitten said:
Thanatos2k said:
1. Price drop. The Wii U remains grossly overpriced for the hardware you get.
They've already dropped the price once.
And it's still not enough for a console that can only play Nintendo games. They NEVER should have been selling the 8 GB model. That was an absolute disgrace. The 32 GB model is still overpriced. There should be a 320 GB model for $150 less than a PS4.

2. Selection of quality games, ESPECIALLY 3rd party games. On the Wii U, 3rd parties are fleeing the Wii U faster than the Titanic.
This is where your comparison breaks down, because the 3DS has lots of third-party support primarily because it has a virtual monopoly over the handheld market in general (the closest "competitor" is the PS Vita, which has sold less than 10% of the total number of units as the 3DS).

Also, Nintendo's consoles don't tend to start selling well until the big name first-party games come out, rather than them depending on the third-party sales. Nine of the top 10 selling Wii games (that's 14 of the top 20) were all made by Nintendo. And we've already seen evidence that a good first-party title will push units. So Yahtzee's actually more correct here, Nintendo needs to get off its ass and work on some games, because that's the way to turn their sales around. They could realistically turn this thing around even without third-party games, if they'd just deliver on all of the games they've declared to be released in 2014.
I don't think that's where the comparison breaks down, but where the comparison is most imporant. The utter lack of handheld competition is exactly why Nintendo's 3rd party alienation procedures aren't effecting the 3DS, but that's not going to work for the console space.

You can't use Wii sales for anything. A large part of Wii sales are made up of non-gamers who have moved on. Nintendo foolishly assumed that every Wii owner would just "upgrade" to a Wii U and that's the biggest failed assumption they made.

Super Mario 3D World is a game that's just as good as Mario Galaxy, and it will never approach half of the sales numbers of that game. Nintendo games aren't moving what they used to and Nintendo seems to have no plan beyond that.

3. Gave up on the 3D gimmick. On the Wii U, the tablet controller remains front and center.
No, they didn't "give up" on the 3D gimmick. They released a 2D version of their handheld, yes, but they still release 3D games all the time. It's safe to say they probably won't pursue this again in future handhelds, though, yeah.
My copy of Bravely Default has a sticker on the cover that says "Works with 2DS!" That is the reality now - if you're making a game, you're going to want it to work with all the handhelds out there on the market, and so you're going to make sure it works on the 2DS, which means any use of the 3D gimmick for actual gameplay is done.

The 3D gimmick is dead. And thank god for that.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
C14N said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Grach said:
Considering Microsoft was pushing that horrible DRM scheme when the Xbone was announced and the general always on bullshit, I'd just prefer a console that lets me play fun games.
But Nintendo also uses DRM... so I'm not seeing the logic there. And the other consoles also let you play fun games - but there are a lot more of them to play.
Nintendo uses DRM in the sense of "you can't copy this game disc" but we've had that since the beginning so nobody minds. They never went near any of the MS plans like having to lock the game to your account so you couldn't give it to a friend.
No, Nintendo just region locks their consoles, which is just as bad. Even Microsoft doesn't do that.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
So, it's official. We're not even bothering any more. Nice to know I can officially skip the Nintendo reviews.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
MrHide-Patten said:
Mr_Terrific said:
Stopped watching ZP a while back because Yahtzee was on some PC fanboy nonsense and stopped by today for a review of a Zelda game. Instead, we get a rant about a console in the middle of a review for a game that's not even on consoles and here we've found a way to shoehorn in more master race bullshit while crapping on a console that is not even running the game that should be reviewed.

So glad I stopped by....

What a bizarre world we live in where I come to this site specifically for a Sterling and avoid ZP, which is what brought me to the site to begin with.
You could've just watched one of the other Zelda reviews and gotten the exact same experience, which was part of the joke, that it's more of the same. So he lamented on why it's tragic that they system that focus on games is also the one rolling around in it's own shit.
Whilst I do find his PC Master Race arguments a bit heavy, I won't deny that the truth is a hard thing to hear. Still love my PS4 the big black slopey brick.
Yes... why on Earth would should we expect a Zelda review to actually [sneery Yahtzee voice] REVIEW ZELDA.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Honestly, I think a lot of Nintendo's problem is simply not releasing enough of their games to the broader audience. It seems like have a very racist, anti-American, attitude at their core (like I used to pick up from a lot when I read translated Japanese periodicals...) and likes to hold back a lot of it's best stuff. There is this perception that Nintendo has a bad relationship with third party developers and chooses only to focus on a handful of key, recycled, franchises that do little to innovate (but to be honest, in a lot of cases they don't have to, their format works perfect as it is, which is why they haven't messed with it. Sort of like nobody has messed with Chess. Innovation for the sake of innovation is itself a problem... but a whole different discussion), in reality they have a lot of games they just never see a US release or become known here. Check out Gamefaqs list of Wii games some time and you'll see a number of decent ones that just never got released in the US. We pretty much had to fight tooth and nail to get "Xenoblade" released in the US, and really whining console manufacturers who can't move software have no valid complaints where we haven't seen official releases of many "Super Robot Taisen" games in the US (and those we have gotten for portables were not well promoted or taken care of), and those are some of the most frequently translated games passed around under the table by "pirates" into areas they won't be fairly released. Heck, I myself being a series fan wanted the Wii "Fatal Frame" game but that one got cancelled. It seems like in some kind of inverse Bizzaro logic Nintendo simply decides not to push it's publishers to release the games people are actually likely to play in it's most profitable sales territories or the places it wants to expand.

As things stand now I suspect the Wii U is probably failing hard, much like Wii game sales arguably did, not because of the reasons that seem to be in play, but because of Nintendo's arrogance. I'd imagine there will be more than a few fine games for the "Wii U" that could at least cement it a healthy niche audience in the US and other territories, but we'll never see them released in those territories and most people will never know they exist. Something basically akin to Nintendo being willing to commit seppeku before ensuring the system's best titles make their hands into the hands of stinking Gaijin (especially the ones from America).

At least that's my take on the situation, not that I expect a lot of people to agree. See, I actually got a Wii, but it's spend far more time disconnected in storage than in use because there just weren't any games I wanted to play on it. What games I heard about that I'd want to play got cancelled, or were never slated for US release, so it was a complete waste. My attitude about the Wii U is similar, I refuse to even consider supporting a system that's administrated with that attitude. Put out some games I want to play, and then I'll consider getting it.... and honestly looking at a Wii there is no doubt those games will exist, it's just that they won't be released so I could play them, or at least not until I'm well beyond caring.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
McMarbles said:
MrHide-Patten said:
Mr_Terrific said:
Stopped watching ZP a while back because Yahtzee was on some PC fanboy nonsense and stopped by today for a review of a Zelda game. Instead, we get a rant about a console in the middle of a review for a game that's not even on consoles and here we've found a way to shoehorn in more master race bullshit while crapping on a console that is not even running the game that should be reviewed.

So glad I stopped by....

What a bizarre world we live in where I come to this site specifically for a Sterling and avoid ZP, which is what brought me to the site to begin with.
You could've just watched one of the other Zelda reviews and gotten the exact same experience, which was part of the joke, that it's more of the same. So he lamented on why it's tragic that they system that focus on games is also the one rolling around in it's own shit.
Whilst I do find his PC Master Race arguments a bit heavy, I won't deny that the truth is a hard thing to hear. Still love my PS4 the big black slopey brick.
Yes... why on Earth would should we expect a Zelda review to actually [sneery Yahtzee voice] REVIEW ZELDA.
I think part of the joke is that he pretty much DID review Zelda (and fairly at that) in the tiny portion of the video he actually discussed it.... which reinforces the point he's making about Nintendo. :)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lassiie said:
It took me the majority of that video to realize that he had stopped reviewing the game....I feel manipulated
I assumed he was eventually getting back to it. It seems like he's finally evolved to the point where dealing with the games' same foibles each time is just redundant.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Therumancer said:
McMarbles said:
MrHide-Patten said:
Mr_Terrific said:

So glad I stopped by....

I think part of the joke is that he pretty much DID review Zelda (and fairly at that) in the tiny portion of the video he actually discussed it.... which reinforces the point he's making about Nintendo. :)
...so you didn't play it either.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
Was there a video here, or was I squinting too hard in search of meaningful content?
Mad World said:
He didn't even review the bloody game. Yahtzee shouldn't review Nintendo games; he clearly can't handle it. His hatred of Nintendo gets the better of him.
QFT.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I feel like this has hit the nail square on the head. Nintendo's problem is that they have a games-focused console with no decent games, while Sony and Microsoft are producing crippled PCs that don't have any local multiplayer offerings.

tikalal

Dec 17, 2009
It needs to be all about the games again. Technology is just one, increasingly tiny aspect of whether a game is good. The biggest factor is the people; developer talent, agency, and finance.

All these companies want to do is make a quick buck for their shareholders, at any expense. They introduce gimmicks, new shitty ways of monetisation, and try to pump out sure things all the time because it is nothing but a business to these multi-billion dollar corporations.

Instead of trying to please shareholders, they should pay attention to the people in the organisation. Improve working conditions for them, try to foster a creative work environment, give them license to try new ideas, permission to fail etc. It's because all these companies are desperately trying to wring as much money out of everything as possible that we have these problems.

Half Life 2 didn't come from a publicly held company, and it probably never could have. That game came out almost a decade ago, and I haven't seen another FPS that came close to its quality. It's because of the people who made the game and the circumstances in which they made it! And I played that game for the first time less than a year ago, so it's not nostalgia talking.

I have such fond memories of my Gamecube. A simple little console with a simple controller and some good, hearty games.

sidewinder fang

Sep 17, 2012
I found the little minecraft model of the west midlands joke particularly amusing and rather ironic, given that I happen to live there, specifically Coventry, and with all the flooding in the UK right now its practically the only place NOT underwater.

I could get mad but in typical snarky brit fashion I shall retort that I'd rather be under 20 feet of water than several miles of red tape and idiotic Australian game censorship laws, also, I've heard that some people claim the midlands is or was a hotbed of crime, again if Yhatzee were making a reference to this, it would be ironic seeing as he now lives in a former penal colony.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Mr_Terrific said:

So glad I stopped by....

you havent watched many jimquisitions have you?

the guy argues the same thing as yahtzee, modern consoles are unfortunately weakass PCs, hell if anything yahtzee is arguing Nintedo has the RIGHT idea of how to make consoles great again, but they failed in other areas

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
McMarbles said:
So, it's official. We're not even bothering any more. Nice to know I can officially skip the Nintendo reviews.
You could have before. At this point in time anyone who owns a Nintendo console will likely automatically buy a game released by Nintendo regardless of what any reviewer has to say about it, both because Nintendo has historically released reasonably made games, and because on one of their two consoles Nintendo games are about all you're going to get anyway. The audience is simultaneously captive and starved.

At this point the only people reviews of Nintendo products service are people who don't own Nintendo products and are considering purchasing one - few if any of those would come to a person who feels the whole new generation is a waste of time to decide on that.