Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I feel offended that Yahtzee doesn't understand why the lady inside me is getting the hots for Link. He's perfection. Link is life, Link is love.

That being said, I would disagree that only WW Link doesn't have a personality. SS Link and TP Link have a quite clear personality as well. SS Link is probably the best characterized Link of them all, just that he suffers from being the MC of the weakest entry of the series.

Jan 27, 2011
I did NOT see this review coming. I thought he'd pass on it!

I'm even more surprised it was mostly positive too, although if there was ANY zelda game he'd like I had a feeling it would be this one.

Something tells me he never found the way to slow down time, though, given that he said he got moonsplatted (or had to make a last second escape via time travel). Then again, maybe that makes things more fun. I just have a reflex to slow down time anytime I'm not doing a quest that requires me to follow someone around or wait for stuff to happen.

...Well, was a fun review. :p Dekus as novelty bongs....lol. Their nose pipes look kinda like that.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm wondering why he isn't going to do Kingdom Hearts now, unless it's a multiplayer game or something.

As for this, I suppose it's a good thing for 3DS users given how he thrashed Ocarina of Time's 3DS port. Three cheers for all.

GUIGUI

Feb 13, 2009
I wouldn't say it's all for naught. All the good and saving you have done is shown on the dawn of the new day, after you have defeated Majora. It's like all the repeated timeline you have been through merge into a single one.

I disagree with Yatzeeh on the ending being dull, but you only get to have the best ending if you get all the Mask. For each Mask you have, it shows the good you have done to the people who have given you that mask. Yatzeeh recently made a Log about the pointlessness of a 100% run, but Majora Mask might actually be one of the few game where it is worth 100% complete it, as each sidesquest you do not only actually give you something substantial for the gameplay (even if it is just an Heart container or equipment upgrades), but it also affect the ending.

You have not really finished Majora up until you have got all the masks.

Jan 27, 2011
Toblo1 said:
Has Yahtzee ever explained why he never reviews Kingdom Hearts games?
I dunno, but I don't blame him.

I mean, I've recently come to the realization that I'm a huge fan of the series (I looked around my gaming collection and went "Holy shit, I officially own every game in the series now, and have replayed most of them twice."), and even then I understand why people might not like it.

1) The disney bits might annoy people who didn't grow up with those movies, or who happen to be cynical bastards.

2) The gameplay's fun, although it alternates (sometimes very suddenly) between happy-go-lucky button mashy and Super-freakin-hard-ninja-reflexes-required difficulty and most games have a critical flaw that hurts the combat somehow (Original mix of KH2 not giving you any Drive modes when alone, Birth by sleep having 3 short story modes that end JUST when the combat finally kicks into high gear and becomes awesome, stopping in the middle of climactic moment in Dream Drop Distance to raise spirits to unlock new moves, etc).

3) The overarching plot is just becoming pure bananas. Seriously, Dream Drop Distance took an already convoluted plot of shared hearts, body doubles, hearts turning into monsters that looked and acted human, and then added time travel and essentially horcuxes into the mix. Gah, too much!

I can still put up with those flaws because I genuinely enjoy the gameplay and characters and I still really really like the series, but I can understand why some people don't like it, and I especially get why this site's regular Cynical Aussie Brit is turned off by it.

:p That reminds me, I should get around to doing that Critial Mode Run of KH2 sometime soon...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah that time mechanic is the reason why I gave up and stop playing the game the first time round. Granted I still intend to buy the game at some point (when it's on sale) just so I can bloody finish it!

themilo504

May 9, 2010
What Zelda fan would ever respond to the criticism that Zelda games are samey and toothless by claiming that at least majora mask is different?

Saying things are samey or toothless is a poor and uninformative criticism anyway, going by his logic half life 2 thief 2 and portal 2 are also all samey and toothless.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The bit about Skull-kid, the guy with a rotten pineapple for a face, got me thinking: do any of the Links (yeah, there's more than one, if you follow the multiple timeline theory) have any truly memorable antagonists who AREN'T Ganon/Ganondorf. I do like it when Yahtzee reviews a Zelda game, and especially ripping into Link's lack of a personality. He also ragged on Gordon Freeman for pretty much the same qualities.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I sure hope he stays to his word and never reviews a Kingdom Hearts game. I really don't want him to bother doing that.

Glad he like Majora's Mask and the reasons why actually make sense if you've gotten a decent idea on how he thinks. You don't get that strong an image just watching his reviews but playing his games, reading his books, playing the games he likes, and of course watching his Lets play Channel make the fact that he likes this one contextually very sensible and that makes the whole game nicer for him.

Meanwhile his like for Wind Waker is just the fact that Wind Waker is one of his personal favorites from the days of being much younger.

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
Of the Zelda games I've played (which is not all of them) Majoras Mask in the best, fallowed by Links Awakening. The worst I've played is Twilight Princes fallowed by A Link To The Past (no, it is not a masterpiece, it is not even good, it's mediocre, take off the nostalgia goggles and look at the game for what it is), Ocarina of Time is okay, the first one is closer to the top only because it is an open world game, something which the Zelda series abandoned for forced linearity, and Zelda 2 is closer the top because I like the combat engine, the Oracle games and The Minish Cap are in the middle.

The better Zelda games are the ones that are not formulaic, it's when the game does something different with tone, gameplay, the story and/or the environ is when the games are at their best.

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
I highly recommend you check out the side missions and little character moments throughout the game because some of them are messed up for a children's game. You said you like the game from a philosophical standpoint, and when you get right down to it, this is a game about the end of the world and how people react to it. Like the elder ranch girl giving her younger sister alcoholic milk before bed so she won't be in her right mind for the horrible pyroclasm. Or a young woman waiting by her wedding dress in the face of apocalypse for a lover that will never come (unless you finish the long side-quest). That sort of voyage into the human condition is really what pushes majora's mask from good to great. It's profound and new and quite scary.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh...that sounds interesting, but interesting in a way that'd get me giving up pretty soon.

Howling Din

Mar 10, 2011
I know Yahtzee hails from the miserable cesspool of narrow-mindedness and defeatism that is Britain, but that's no excuse to carry those traits into his thirties.

The game can't be about futility, because in the end, after a million timeloops, you win, you triumph, you avert the disaster which at the beginning seems inevitable and unstoppable.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Darth_Payn said:
The bit about Skull-kid, the guy with a rotten pineapple for a face, got me thinking: do any of the Links (yeah, there's more than one, if you follow the multiple timeline theory) have any truly memorable antagonists who AREN'T Ganon/Ganondorf. I do like it when Yahtzee reviews a Zelda game, and especially ripping into Link's lack of a personality. He also ragged on Gordon Freeman for pretty much the same qualities.
I found Skyward sword villain Ghirahim to be quite memorable and seeing how well received he is I'm probably not the only one. In contrast with the always serious Ganondorf Ghirahim is very flamboyant and expressive which in itself isn't all that unique but his behavior is worthy of some chuckles at least.

But what makes Ghirahim stand out isn't that the's flamboyant but how Personal Ghirahim is as a villain. After every temple he warps next to Link for some small talk or to summon the boss and as the game progress he starts becoming more and more distressed at Links progress, showing great hostility where he had been very playful with Link before.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Hades said:
Darth_Payn said:
I found Skyward sword villain Ghirahim to be quite memorable and seeing how well received he is I'm probably not the only one. In contrast with the always serious Ganondorf Ghirahim is very flamboyant and expressive which in itself isn't all that unique but his behavior is worthy of some chuckles at least.

But what makes Ghirahim stand out isn't that the's flamboyant but how Personal Ghirahim is as a villain. After every temple he warps next to Link for some small talk or to summon the boss and as the game progress he starts becoming more and more distressed at Links progress, showing great hostility where he had been very playful with Link before.
Except Girahim wasn't the final boss Ganon usually is, Demise was, and he flat-out stated he will continuously reincarnate as an evil being of great power. Girahim is closer to Zant in terms of role, the looming antagonist, but clearly not the final boss.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Reading too much into it, Yahtzee? This is a game where you literally wear the skin of dead people to fool and cheat others. You can't read enough into it (no, seriously... so much fucked up shit going on in this game, it's delightful)