Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Great review!

If anyone's interested, I wrote a double-review for OoT and MM 3D because I feel as if those two games complement each other rather well (i.e. one has what the other don't and vice-versa). If you're not too busy, have a read :)

http://luke-pearce.deviantart.com/journal/REVIEWS-Ocarina-of-Time-3D-and-Majora-s-Mask-3D-519239977

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Of the 3D Zelda games I've played, MM would be my least favorite, though still 4th favorite LoZ overall.

I actually agree with Yahtzee though, that the game's ultimate theme is about futility, even to the point of nihilism. Link can't save everyone on a single loop, and many of the people just go on and on with their lives, kind of showing how unimportant the individual is in the greater scheme of things. And come the last day, it goes one step further - for instance, Kafei and Anju get married even if you didn't complete their respective quest on the last loop. Even Link, the one who transcended time, is ultimately worth nothing to this world - they'll go on with their lives whether he's there or not (stopping the moon notwithstanding).

On the other hand, OoT has themes. WW has themes. I've seen SS praised for its themes as well. So while I actually like Majora's Mask (see starting comment), I still kinda consider it "OoT-lite" on the gameplay side.

Josh Lindberg

Mar 11, 2015
I always find his most entertaining reviews are the one of games I've played already. I enjoyed this review immensely almost as much as his Minecraft review which is still my favorite. I not only found it funny and entertaining but his thoughts on the game insightful and very intriguing. Specifically his comparison to other games where he portrayed as renowned hero guided by the gods, but not in this game. I never really looked at it that way.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
And lo, Yahtzee did see what we've been going on about. Thanks for the glimpse, sir, I feel some understanding has been reached.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Used Hoover as a verb again. Love it.

Yeah, I'd never review Kingdom Hearts either.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Yeah, I called it. There's a lot of subtlety at work in MM, and it's very symbolic. Plus it had the oppressive atmosphere of Dark Souls or SH2. Honestly, it says a lot that Nintendo decided to follow up their Magnum Opus by making a sequel that was SMALLER in scale. Smaller, tighter, more intimate, and arguably much better.

Hear that AAA industry? Sometime less is more. What? No. No, stop that. No, don't- stop giving batman a tank and a bazooka, he was fine the way he was.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Fox12 said:
Yeah, I called it. There's a lot of subtlety at work in MM, and it's very symbolic. Plus it had the oppressive atmosphere of Dark Souls or SH2. Honestly, it says a lot that Nintendo decided to follow up their Magnum Opus by making a sequel that was SMALLER in scale. Smaller, tighter, more intimate, and arguably much better.

Here that AAA industry? Sometime less is more. What? No. No, stop that. No, don't- stop giving batman a tank and a bazooka, he was fine the way he was.
I'd never really considered that MM is darker and oppressive (probably because I'd never played it more than once 'cuz time mechanic,) but it definitely is. Awesome.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Howling Din said:
I know Yahtzee hails from the miserable cesspool of narrow-mindedness and defeatism that is Britain, but that's no excuse to carry those traits into his thirties.

The game can't be about futility, because in the end, after a million timeloops, you win, you triumph, you avert the disaster which at the beginning seems inevitable and unstoppable.
With just that disaster and whichever problems you solved on that cycle averted.

So, you know, if you didn't save those Zora eggs, or depoison the swamp, or uncurse the mummy dad or whatever on that last cycle, they're probably still screwed, moon or no.

darkalter2000

Sep 11, 2013
Has anyone heard the theory that Link is dead in this one? And that the game is about accepting death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw

I personally like it.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Devieus said:
Hades said:
Darth_Payn said:
The bit about Skull-kid, the guy with a rotten pineapple for a face, got me thinking: do any of the Links (yeah, there's more than one, if you follow the multiple timeline theory) have any truly memorable antagonists who AREN'T Ganon/Ganondorf. I do like it when Yahtzee reviews a Zelda game, and especially ripping into Link's lack of a personality. He also ragged on Gordon Freeman for pretty much the same qualities.
I found Skyward sword villain Ghirahim to be quite memorable and seeing how well received he is I'm probably not the only one. In contrast with the always serious Ganondorf Ghirahim is very flamboyant and expressive which in itself isn't all that unique but his behavior is worthy of some chuckles at least.

But what makes Ghirahim stand out isn't that the's flamboyant but how Personal Ghirahim is as a villain. After every temple he warps next to Link for some small talk or to summon the boss and as the game progress he starts becoming more and more distressed at Links progress, showing great hostility where he had been very playful with Link before.
Except Girahim wasn't the final boss Ganon usually is, Demise was, and he flat-out stated he will continuously reincarnate as an evil being of great power. Girahim is closer to Zant in terms of role, the looming antagonist, but clearly not the final boss.
Ghirahim isn't the final boss but Darth_Payn was talking antagonist. He's not the final boss but I think Ghirahim can be called the main villain of Skyward sword in a way Zant wasn't in TP.
Ghiraim wasn't just the looming antagonist but also the one that drove the plot from his first appearance to the last. He's the one with a personal connection to Link and is depicted as his own man despite being a servant while Zant was more Ganon's puppet, only dangerous because of Ganon.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Howling Din said:
I know Yahtzee hails from the miserable cesspool of narrow-mindedness and defeatism that is Britain, but that's no excuse to carry those traits into his thirties.

The game can't be about futility, because in the end, after a million timeloops, you win, you triumph, you avert the disaster which at the beginning seems inevitable and unstoppable.
Yes, you triumph.
SPOILERS, by the way...
[video=9791]

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Kind of funny that the first Zelda game he liked since the GameCube ones was the re-release of the game that, according to some, was actually a game about Link dying in the Lost Woods and being trapped in some kind of Groundhog Day style purgatory until he came to terms with his untimely demise.

GUIGUI

Feb 13, 2009
Pyramid Head said:
Kind of funny that the first Zelda game he liked since the GameCube ones was the re-release of the game that, according to some, was actually a game about Link dying in the Lost Woods and being trapped in some kind of Groundhog Day style purgatory until he came to terms with his untimely demise.
This theory never really hold solid grounds in the first place. Not to mention, he grow hold enough to become Hero's Shade.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Glad Yahtzee liked the game; I thought he might - it is quite a creative departure for the Zelda series and a great game all on its own. I wonder if he finished the game with all of the masks. He made no mention of the Fierce Deity mask and also said the ending was anti-climactic....

I understand that having that mask makes the last fight ridiculously easy, which can be viewed as anti-climactic, but it's also incredibly rewarding. By putting in the extra leg work for the duration of the game and finishing 100%, the player earns the right to basically remove challenge from the final boss. It wouldn't be as great if the player was forced to get it because then it would just be a regular case of being overpowered, but giving that choice to the player and making them earn it, I always thought, was incredibly climactic. It's a really unique decision that I think exemplifies Zelda at its best.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
crimson5pheonix said:
Yahtzee liking a Zelda game? Who knew.
Diablo1099 said:
.....Wow...didn't see that coming.
Yahtzee liking a Zelda game
He's only praised Wind Waker fifty million times.

Toblo1 said:
Has Yahtzee ever explained why he never reviews Kingdom Hearts games?
He's not a fan of the "anime kid and his friends kill god in the end" kind of plot.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
EDIT: Eh.

*hurriedly slams wormcan shut*

Still, happy to see Yahtzee enjoy a Zelda game. Especially my favorite one.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
The bit about Skull-kid, the guy with a rotten pineapple for a face, got me thinking: do any of the Links (yeah, there's more than one, if you follow the multiple timeline theory) have any truly memorable antagonists who AREN'T Ganon/Ganondorf.
There's General Onox and Veran from the Oracle games. and I thought they were pretty badass. I'm really sick of the Ganon/Zelda/Link trifecta of pre-destined nonsense. That story has been retold one too many times. I'm hoping Zelda Wii U creates a completely new antagonist.

Dr.Helios

Mar 31, 2010
so is it just me who is only getting a 45 second trailer for The Escapist and then nothing else when I click the link? I'm not running adblock or anything...

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
You can not, can not, criticize Majora's Mask for being obscure if you liked that in the Dark Souls games. Especially not since this was the dummie-ified version of MM.

NeutralDrow said:
"Link having no character."

...oh, right, he never got past the first dungeon of Skyward Sword, did he.
He can't talk in Skyward Sword; a narrative-driven game. And, after completing it, that game totally has the worst 3D Zelda story, and that's not even because of how awkward the cutscenes are where Link can't speak where, by all of the laws of anything logical, he clearly should be. And FYI Yahtzee reviewed Skyward Sword (he even seemed top have beaten it for once).