Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Speaking of water temples, my friend got a Wii like a year and a half after release. He literally put down Twilight Princess for 3 months when he couldn't get past the water temple early in that game. I said "may I?" rotated the center room again, and asked, "Have you tried going in that room again?"

Not that I'm special or anything. I also had to tell a couple of friends how to get past the regenerators in Resident Evil 4. Sometimes the things that come easily to me seem super-hard to everyone else, whereas the things that seem obvious to everyone else stump me.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Be fair. The water temple in this one is apparently easier. But yeah. Can agree on most things. The quality of a game diminishes over time as we expect better quality from our products. This game in it's time set the bar quite high and other games took a long time to catch up. The N64 exclusive home made games used to be the best thing out there. Now we see more from third party titles (mass effect, call of duty (EVERYONE OWNS IT SHUT UP), Half life), as if they've caught up in quality.

Zinkoff

May 22, 2011
YES! The Robin Williams trailer was 12 kinds of bat-shit bonkers! I can only imagine what his daughter thinks of the whole thing.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
I really want them to throw it completely on it's head for a new game. I don't care about Zelda. Saving the princess is such a tired motive. Why not have Zelda sit at home and bake cookies Join Link as a full on companion throughout the quest? Have some new threat overpower Ganondorf. Shake up the formula a little.

The most original Zelda game I played was the Phantom hourglass (even though it still had the same basic structure). And I enjoyed it because it was a bit different. Not just OoT. Now with wolf.

Why can't we have that in non-handheld form? The big budget Zelda games are just so.... predictable.....
A big budget Zelda did shake things up once; it was called Majora's Mask. At least in my opinion.

It seems Nintendo is going back to playing with the formula again with Skyward Sword, so let's cross our fingers and hope it turns out well.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Sometimes I don't know why Yahtzee reviews games, because he surely doesn't like them.

Not that I ever liked Ocarina of Time myself, but it seems he only ever liked a handful of games in his entire life.

Strategy games: he hates them.

FPS games: He only liked Doom and Painkiller. Bioshock 1 received equal praise and criticism.

Adventurers: He hates the gameplay.

Turn-based RPGs: He hates them.

Real-time RPGs: He hates every japanese ones, I only recall him liking Morrowind (or rather, found it alright). Hated Mass Effect and Dragon Age (before they were ruined by EA).

Sandbox games: Only liked Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2 (ironically, two sequels).

Platformers: Only liked Paper Mario and Psychonauts.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Fuck me it's cold in here!

Had to pause while I cracked up at that point. Yahtzee, you silly *****.

The end bit "Two in the Plink" also comedy gold.

As for the actual game, well, about what I expected. 3D has always bugged me, in video games, cinema and every other medium, so fuck it. And it really is just a retread of an old classic game. If they remade Pong, I wouldn't expect them to update the story and give the paddles character arcs. They're paddles, they swat the little ball/box (depending on your polygon count) back and forth. Likewise, Link didn't need a character arc in this. He's the unmitigated bad ass. End of character arc. He set fire to shit and hacked other shit down with a sword. What more do you need from a protagonist?

Also, Fuck me it's cold in here!!! LOL (but not really, cuz there's a fucking heat wave. so fuck me it's hot in here!)

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
drakythe said:
Woo! Other people do exist who haven't finished OoT and thought it was Obtuse. Glad I'm not the only one. I did finish both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, but never could make it through OoT.

Nice review, Yahtzee.
Could you believe there's people that have never played OoT and wouldn't care to do so in the slightest, because I'm happy to say I at least know one...;)

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Ah now I remember why I love Yahtzee :)

Screw people who still classify old and dated games as "the best games evar"

I never finished Ocarina of Time either, it wasn't bad, but I lost interest quickly.

rutcommapat

Jul 1, 2011
Lordofthesuplex said:
Once again, this wasn't a review. This was Yahtzee needing an excuse to say how much he thinks Nintendo sucks like the cynical troll that he is. I probably have bigger hands than him and I can say right now that I had no problem with the L-Trigger. And I'm getting sick of the "Twilight Princess = Big budget OoT" criticism. Speaking from experience, all Twilight Princess has in common are a few references here and there and the usual Forest, Volcano, Undersea and Desert themed dungeons that have been Zelda games since LttP. There's really barely anything in there that makes me say: "Oh it's OoT 2.0"

I'm not gonna lie though, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are far better than OoT but to say OoT hasn't aged well, is really damn stupid. The original NES Zelda games, now THOSE haven't aged well.

Oh and I can name plenty of N64 games that have aged well you drunken douchebag: Sin & Punishment & Conker's Bad Fur Day for starters.

Finally saying Call of Duty 4 is better than Goldeneye is assinine. To be honest, I wasn't that big into Goldeneye, I prefered Perfect Dark. But even I can tell you CoD isn't better than it because CoD has done nothing spectacular or innovative to deserve it's praise. It's no different than any other FPS out there or even before it. (Don't hate me for being honest)
Rather than wade through your bullshit fanboy rambling, I'm going to go ahead and point out two things:

1: Yahtzee gives Nintendo credit where credit is due, you can't deny that. He's given some of their games very positive reviews, and specifically said that he likes Twilight Princess. And yes, this is indeed a review, or at least by my definition, which is where someone talks about something, and gives their opinion on it and explains why they have their opinion on it. I don't have the slightest idea what your definition is, although I suppose fanboys such as yourself don't consider a review of a zelda game a review unless it's showering praise on every aspect of the game's design.

2: He wasn't saying that MW2 did more for our generation than MW2. He said that it's fucking ridiculous that anyone should believe for even a moment that Goldeneye is comparible to modern FPS's, and he used MW2 as an example because in our day and age, like it or not, whenever anyone says "First Person Shooter" the first thing that will pop to people's mind is Call of Duty. And say what you want about the Call of Duty games - Me personally, I think that it's all a load of overhyped garbage - but nobody who isn't very clearly blinded by nostalgia will play MW2, and then play Goldeneye, and say that Goldeneye is anywhere near as good as MW2.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're simply pulling things out of your ass so that you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you have a justifiable reason to get mad at Yahtzee other than "He doesn't agree with me that Nintendo are the video game equivelent of Jesus!".

I suppose I should post this as a disclaimer for all you wonderful people who aren't generally smart enough to comprehend that someone said even the slightest thing bad about their favorite game: Yahtzee never once in the review stated that Goldeneye wasn't great for his time. He implied that it's been completely ass-raped by the test of time, and frankly, he's right. The entire game looks like shit, the controls are shaky, the N64 controller is simply awful.

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
Well, Nintendo fanboys, I'll just say this: LEAVE. OCARINA OF TIME. ALONE!

It was great at its time, and it was also a landmark that is part of the RPG Revolution, but goddammit, rally on something else! At the very least, scream for a Majora's Mask remake. I know you OoT fanatics won't admit it, but it was heaps better than its predecessor!

Honestly, you guys, yet another remake of Ocarina of Time is just like re-animating the corpse of Frank Sinatra for your birthday party: sure, he might still belt out a great "New York, New York", but at one point his head is going to fall off and that would be an awkward moment for everybody involved.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Yahtzee didn't like a game I really enjoy. Nifty.

It was still very entertaining! =D

-goes on with life-

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Never played a single Zelda game myself, but from what I can gather, people seem to favour OoT above all else. Way to rip that game a new one Yahtzee :)

LadyRhian said:
Hmmm... Interesting. This is a game I also never played. Never had an N64. I had an NES. And boy, those graphics were shite by Today's standards. When will people learn that nostalgia is seldom as 20/20 as you think it will be?
I think you missed out a bit man, the N64 was like adding butter to bread for the first time.

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
Don't worry Yahtzee, folks saying OoT is one of the best games ever are fanboys introduced to the Zelda franchise by that game. You can ignore it.

Yahtzee was too general in this review. He should get into the specific reasons OoT sucks.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
SandroTheMaster said:
Sometimes I don't know why Yahtzee reviews games, because he surely doesn't like them.

Not that I ever liked Ocarina of Time myself, but it seems he only ever liked a handful of games in his entire life.

Strategy games: he hates them.

FPS games: He only liked Doom and Painkiller. Bioshock 1 received equal praise and criticism.

Adventurers: He hates the gameplay.

Turn-based RPGs: He hates them.

Real-time RPGs: He hates every japanese ones, I only recall him liking Morrowind (or rather, found it alright). Hated Mass Effect and Dragon Age (before they were ruined by EA).

Sandbox games: Only liked Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2 (ironically, two sequels).

Platformers: Only liked Paper Mario and Psychonauts.
Well reviewing games seems to make people fairly cynical especially if it's your job to only really be cynical for the sake of comedy but he does like a fair amount of games beyond the ones you listed. Also I think he did like dragon age and mass effect he also like prince of Persia and enjoyed the batman game and amnesia and resident evil 4. There's only one guy who effortlessly likes games and reviews them all the time. And his name is mark the classic game room reviewer. This guy found a way to like games everyone hates.

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
FatCatLim said:
Rapelay is the 3rd title that you put on your games pedestal? Oh Yahtzee you cad.
I believe you and I may be the only two people that noticed that... that's strange. Although maybe I shouldn't be too surprised that only I and one random person with 5 posts recognized the box art... now what does that say about us, eh?

RushofBlood52

Oct 4, 2010
Here is what I don't understand. Zelda games after OoT took what OoT did and made it better. Yahtzee says this, no? But then he says that is what makes them worse? I never understand this logic.