Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

IncredibleKoosh

Apr 20, 2011
What sites hate Nintendo?

Without checking I'd guess that nearly all their big 1st party releases score 85+ on Metacritic.

Even Yahtzee doesn't hate them. At least no more than anything else. In fact he openly LIKES Mario Galaxy.

As for saying that he was moaning about the motion controller 4 years ago, and that he shouldn't do it now as it's getting old... Maybe he STILL thinks that it's a badly implemented control scheme?

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Revolutionaryloser said:
Whoever is defending this game probably hasn't actually played it. I had to concur with nearly everything Yahtzee said. The motion controls in particular were some of the worst I've had to endure ever. I appreciate it may not take the title for "least original game ever" but it certainly isn't escaping a "pretty unoriginal" stamp. They could have given up making these bloody games. It was forgivable the first few times but now it's just ridiculous.

itsmeyouidiot said:
Trishbot said:
Skyward Sword, while not flawless, is still a more fresh and original game than, say... Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row 3, Dead Rising 2/Off the Record, Arkham City, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, and even Skyrim. Seriously, Skyrim is great, but it's just a better looking, better playing version of Oblivion/Morrowind/Daggerfall/Arena.[
All you ignorant little shits, look at this post, and tell me you don't feel the weight of your own hypocrisy.
I don't exactly know what you are trying to prove. Pointing out that Skyward Sword is more original than "Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row 3, Dead Rising 2/Off the Record, Arkham City, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, and even Skyrim." is just saying it's the warmest block of ice. All those games have repeatedly been called out on the fact that they are just copies of the last game in the series. That does not redeem this game from being a reskinned version of a game I played 12 years ago.

Wow. They changed ALL of the story. AND they changed 3 whole items from the ORIGINAL 1998 game. Fuck. That is perhaps a bit too much innovation.
And yet you don't see anyone show anywhere near as much hate for those games, because they're made by game companies that are "cool."

Really, if anything, you and everyone else here are just displaying an irrational hatred for Nintendo, and by proxy, Japanese game developers in general.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
IncredibleKoosh said:

Without checking I'd guess that nearly all their big 1st party releases score 85+ on Metacritic.

Even Yahtzee doesn't hate them. At least no more than anything else. In fact he openly LIKES Mario Galaxy.

As for saying that he was moaning about the motion controller 4 years ago, and that he shouldn't do it now as it's getting old... Maybe he STILL thinks that it's a badly implemented control scheme?
I refer more to the members than the sites themselves. The actual review of Skyward Sword on the Escapist scored the game quite high, but it seems common for members to hate on Nintendo on the sites I have been to. The Escapist was my first gaming site in years because I got tired of being one of the few Nintendo fans. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to find a site not run by Nintendo where the majority of people didn't bash the Wii or claim "Zelda is just the same game" because it keeps the basic plot of "Link saves Zelda."

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Revolutionaryloser said:
Just accept that Skyward Sword is not a very good game in the same way that Assassin's Creed: Revelations is not a very good game. The only reason you would think it is a good game is if you hadn't already played it four times.

Oh, and congratulations on pulling the racist card out of fucking nowhere. That is a really good way to stir up intelligent and civil discussion asshole.
Really? I've played the Zelda series thousands of times, and I still think Skyward Sword is an amazing game.

I just don't understand how anyone can dislike this game for being similar to an older game in the series.

It's basically saying that you're getting tired of something that is, by definition, impossible to get tired of.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
itsmeyouidiot said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
Just accept that Skyward Sword is not a very good game in the same way that Assassin's Creed: Revelations is not a very good game. The only reason you would think it is a good game is if you hadn't already played it four times.

Oh, and congratulations on pulling the racist card out of fucking nowhere. That is a really good way to stir up intelligent and civil discussion asshole.
Really? I've played the Zelda series thousands of times, and I still think Skyward Sword is an amazing game.

I just don't understand how anyone can dislike this game for being similar to an older game in the series.

It's basically saying that you're getting tired of something that is, by definition, impossible to get tired of.
Except it's obviously not impossible, because he's tired of it. Different people have different opinions. Some people dislike the fact that the series keeps relying on a carefully regimented formula. Some people enjoy the games nonetheless. Some people enjoy lining their pockets with live clownfish. None of these people are wrong, though some of them do start to smell after a short period of time.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Revolutionaryloser said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
You act like that's the only thing they changed. What about the way the dungeons are laid out or while not the best example, the upgrade system? What about the more exploratory progression of the game? That not enough for you?
No. No it isn't

OK now seriously. It's funny. The way you word your argument it sounds as if you are saying that if they had put exactly the same dungeons in, it would be sort of a dick move. The fact that they put the effort into creating a whole new dungeon is like fucking charity. No one actually expected them to actually design a different game. We were actually expecting Zelda: Ocarina of Time HD.

I really can't tell if you are serious anymore but if you are, you are a bad influence on gaming. It is because of people like you that mediocrity in gaming is acceptable. You probably think that giving a game a review score of 10 is perfectly acceptable. You don't seem to understand that developers are supposed to think of ways to make games better and more entertaining. Not by adding one new feature and changing a few things around but by actually using the tools that are being created and perfected with technology every day to cross new frontiers in gaming and interactivity. I've probably lost you at this point, so whatever. Go play every "new" game they throw at you and pay 60 bucks every time. It's not my money anyway.
And why does "using the tools that are being created and perfected with technology every day to cross new frontiers in gaming and interactivity" not include Skyward Sword's revolutionary motion-control scheme?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Revolutionaryloser said:
Whoever is defending this game probably hasn't actually played it. I had to concur with nearly everything Yahtzee said. The motion controls in particular were some of the worst I've had to endure ever. I appreciate it may not take the title for "least original game ever" but it certainly isn't escaping a "pretty unoriginal" stamp. They could have given up making these bloody games. It was forgivable the first few times but now it's just ridiculous.

itsmeyouidiot said:
Trishbot said:
Skyward Sword, while not flawless, is still a more fresh and original game than, say... Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row 3, Dead Rising 2/Off the Record, Arkham City, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, and even Skyrim. Seriously, Skyrim is great, but it's just a better looking, better playing version of Oblivion/Morrowind/Daggerfall/Arena.[
All you ignorant little shits, look at this post, and tell me you don't feel the weight of your own hypocrisy.
I don't exactly know what you are trying to prove. Pointing out that Skyward Sword is more original than "Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row 3, Dead Rising 2/Off the Record, Arkham City, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, and even Skyrim." is just saying it's the warmest block of ice. All those games have repeatedly been called out on the fact that they are just copies of the last game in the series. That does not redeem this game from being a reskinned version of a game I played 12 years ago.

Wow. They changed ALL of the story. AND they changed 3 whole items from the ORIGINAL 1998 game. Fuck. That is perhaps a bit too much innovation.
You obviously haven't played Skyward Sword. If anything, you have played Twilight Princess and you think you played SS. But I doubt you even have a Wii. You probably just jumped on the bandwagon and hate everything that is even a bit Nintendo related.

Here is a video of those "worst" motion controls ever made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p_aGjL1bwN0

Riiiiiiiiiiight. They don't work at all... wait what? They work almost perfectly? Hmmmm... the video is probably fake. It must me. There is no other explanation. Gamespot said so. But lets ignore the fact that they admitted being wrong and that the controls work better than any other motion control. Ignore the fact that the player doesn't know to move his arms because he lost all body coordination during playing CoD.

You can save your pretty unoriginal stamp for every other game that came out this year but didn't get ANY hate at all.

Let me quote you
All those games have repeatedly been called out on the fact that they are just copies of the last game in the series.
Really? Skyrim got called out for being a copy of the last game in the series? I'm not sure, but I think i read somewhere that it got the GotY award from almost every site who gives those awards. Ohh poor Skyrim. Everyone hates it for being the same as Arena just bigger. They hate it so much that that they can't stop talking how awesome awful the game is. Right?

Assassins Creed got also some rewards... hmmm... funny.
Uncharted 3... yeah... that game that Yahtzee said even tho it has many flaws, he still likes it. Lets ignore for a second that it's basically Uncharted 2 without any changes beside the terrain. That Uncharted 2 is basically Uncharted 1 which is a Prince of Persia clone with guns to make the kids in puberty think they are badass.

Face it, no other game and company is hated as Zelda and Nintendo. For no obvious reason.

A game that has everything new but keeps the nice, fuzzy, warm, well-known feeling is the same as the previous, while a game that is dumbed down with every sequel and is just bigger gets the GOTY.
IncredibleKoosh said:

Well, if you look at other games that get a 9 or higher from the same site, you will notice that they aren't really fair. CoD MW 3 got a 8.5 from Gamespot while Skyward Sword got a 7.5.

Main flaws of Skyward Sword - NOTHING innovative and bad controls (but they admitted later that they where wrong and still kept the lower score for bad controls, fuck logic).
Positive about CoD MW 3 - guess what, they say it's fucking innovative. FUCKING CALL OF DUTY IS INNOVATIVE!!!!

A game that brought motion controls to a whole new level is not innovative while a reskined CoD is? Would you say that that is fair? That it was reasonable giving a lower score to Skyward Sword than to CoD? Gears of War 3? Uncharted 3?

I will not talk about Skyrim this time and it's score because I fucking love the game and I'm playing it now. But the other games that are praised so much don't deserve nothing above a 6 (which is still a above average game since 5 is the average)

Also Yahtzee liking just one Nintendo game doesn't prove him wrong. What was the last time that he said something positive about Nintendo? When the Wii was released? When the 3DS was released? When the DS was released (when everyone including Nintendo thought it's going to be a flop)?

He bitches how there is no improvement in games, how no one is doing anything to improve the gaming experience, to bring it on a whole new level. But when Nintendo releases something new that CAN bring the gaming experience on a whole new level, than he's a lazy ass hypocrite who can't move his arm for more than 20 seconds without needing to go to a clinic.

And look at the youtube video I posted. Tell me if that looks like a badly implemented control scheme.

I understand not liking the game, but people HATE it without even playing it. They HATE it for things that aren't true. They HATE it simply because it's a Nintendo game and they want to be cool for hating a game "for children".

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Revolutionaryloser said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
Revolutionaryloser said:
Lordofthesuplex said:
You act like that's the only thing they changed. What about the way the dungeons are laid out or while not the best example, the upgrade system? What about the more exploratory progression of the game? That not enough for you?
No. No it isn't

OK now seriously. It's funny. The way you word your argument it sounds as if you are saying that if they had put exactly the same dungeons in, it would be sort of a dick move. The fact that they put the effort into creating a whole new dungeon is like fucking charity. No one actually expected them to actually design a different game. We were actually expecting Zelda: Ocarina of Time HD.

I really can't tell if you are serious anymore but if you are, you are a bad influence on gaming. It is because of people like you that mediocrity in gaming is acceptable. You probably think that giving a game a review score of 10 is perfectly acceptable. You don't seem to understand that developers are supposed to think of ways to make games better and more entertaining. Not by adding one new feature and changing a few things around but by actually using the tools that are being created and perfected with technology every day to cross new frontiers in gaming and interactivity. I've probably lost you at this point, so whatever. Go play every "new" game they throw at you and pay 60 bucks every time. It's not my money anyway.
And why does "using the tools that are being created and perfected with technology every day to cross new frontiers in gaming and interactivity" not include Skyward Sword's revolutionary motion-control scheme?
OK now I know you are trolling me. This is my last reply. 6/10
I'm asking you a legitimate question here. You demand innovation, but when you're provided it, you dismiss it as nothing.

How am I trolling? I'm merely pointing out your own hypocrisy.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
I agree with a lot of the points, yet I still loved the game.
Fi is freaking annoying, pointing out everything, and the collectible menu pop up thing every time you start the game is the worst thing ever.
Flying around isn't too fun, it just gets tedious.
But I still enjoy the game

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
I'd like to think Nintendo secretly pays all their fanatics to jump into action anytime someone criticizes Nintendo in some fashion on the internet, but the reality is just more depressing.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Mxrz said:
I'd like to think Nintendo secretly pays all their fanatics to jump into action anytime someone criticizes Nintendo in some fashion on the internet, but the reality is just more depressing.
If you said "Skyrim sucks" on these boards last month, the same thing happened. This is a gaming site, full of gamers, of course they will rush to defend their game.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Mxrz said:
My sentiments exactly. This whole thread just about proves that while Nintendo fanboys can dish it out, they sure can't take it. Depressing, really. If I had a nickel every time I saw someone whinge about "Modern Warfare 2.5" I'd be very rich indeed, yet the moment someone levels the same accusation another franchise that settles with a few new graphical tweaks, new weapons (and maybe not even that), and new maps (that happens to be produced by Nintendo) they fly into a frothing rage.

JackOat

Jun 15, 2011
I have to disagree how the control isn't responsive by saying that it was way too responsive for me, I would try to block quickly after i attack one last time only to spin and get smacked. I try to slash in a --- motion only it read it as / 70% of the freaking time getting me electrocuted.

I hated how useless the Skyward Strike was only being used to progress the story (or treasure), I have never really tried to use it (unless it's the final hit for dramatic effect) and even then it better if I just spin like a madman. I especially hated the bird riding crap, I love riding the horse in OOT, sailing my big red talking boat in WW but the bird was the worst and most unnecessary thing I played in my entire gaming life (even worst then the AC Rev Tower defense).

I like Skyward Sword but also hate it, Bosses were great (except for Demise 1-3) but seeing the same item the last 10 years is getting annoying.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Ariseishirou said:
Mxrz said:
My sentiments exactly. This whole thread just about proves that while Nintendo fanboys can dish it out, they sure can't take it. Depressing, really. If I had a nickel every time I saw someone whinge about "Modern Warfare 2.5" I'd be very rich indeed, yet the moment someone levels the same accusation another franchise that settles with a few new graphical tweaks, new weapons (and maybe not even that), and new maps (that happens to be produced by Nintendo) they fly into a frothing rage.
This is probably because the gaming media in general have show a heavy bias towards Nintendo's competitors since the Playstation era.

When the gaming media points out flaws in Nintendo games, but blatantly ignores the same flaws in other games, it kind of trains people to become overly defensive.