Zero Punctuation: The Sims 3

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I enjoy the Sims and the Sim 3

(I was going to say "the Sims series", but then I remembered Sims 2 and Sims Bustin' Out)

He pointed out a lot about the truths of Sims. Not just the "DLC and blandness" stuff, I agree, but he pointed out the underlying formula of the Sims series: Freetime spent simulating Worktime.

And I agree.

I'm not going to stop playing though, for one simple reason.

3 Catagories.

Women: Sounds bigoted, but seriously, go on the EA forums, they're all women, or catagory 3 (more on that later). Not all emos, not all lonley, but most of them are. Some are friendly, ALL are completley unaware of the gaming community and how games work. Seriously, when they delayed Sims 3, people began spamming petitions to have diving boards included, since "EA are just waiting for some reason"

Sadists: as in video

CATAGORY 3: THE GOD COMPLEX: People like myself who are so embittered with the lack of their way of thinking in this world that they purchase any and all games that offer some shape or form of creating their own little utopias, whether a city, an empire or a person, that run under THEIR rules. Incidently, Evil Genius is my favourite game

BWAHAHAA

Atlea said:
blacklab said:
Didn't quite understand the part about women at the end.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina_dentata

Here. Educate yourself.
You made me cry

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
"Here you are, recreating the same work sleep routine you're supposed to be using your free time to get away from." -Yahtzee
Ingenious insight. Might I add that I've already been struck by this fat realization as well.

However, I must applaud The Sims series for being a game that reaches to such vast numbers and variety of players, even if most are casual.

To me, it's a unisex doll house, but one that gives you freedom enough to have you believe that you are manipulating when the truth is you're the one being manipulated.

Know what I miss the most though? Embedded narrative. I enjoy the fictitious stories that novels, movies, and games provide me. The Sims is about simulation, but it feels much more like Desperate Housewives sim...which in turn doesn't appeal that much to me.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
crazyhaircut94 said:
Great review, but it seemed a bit off-topic at times.
....? You have watched Yahtzee before, right? Off topic is what he does...

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
Thank you, at last someone agrees with me that all women are hereditarily evil.

Been saying it for years.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
As much as I laugh I always feel a slight tinge of sorrow for Yatzee and his lonliness. Than I just move on.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Something tells me he could've written this review even without playing it.

Not that this fact made me enjoy the review any less.

Iron Sea

Dec 10, 2008
Yeah that seemed a bit more depressing than entertaining, maybe because I've grown sort of used to Yahtzee's humour.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Wow...I was expecting say...the Conduit (I'd prefer Overlord II, but we all know that woon't happen).

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
IMrAngryPantsI said:
Damn. i thought i would get first post. :D
I'm surprised the ban hammer hasn't been dropped on this lovely individual yet.

Perhaps the wielder of the hammer is busy with a blood-streaked rank spam sandwich.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Doug said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Great review, but it seemed a bit off-topic at times.
....? You have watched Yahtzee before, right? Off topic is what he does...
He was a little bit too off-topic. But he at least got to the point, that Sims is evil.

PyroZombie

Apr 24, 2009
Completely true.

I had bought "The Sims" on the Gamecube, and i didn't get what was the interesting part.

Was it the fact that you could burn your house down, without anyone trying to help?

Or as Yahtzee, Myself, and every other sociopath-nearing-serial-murderer, lock in Guantanamo-sized wall-cells until they suffocate?

Maybe the fact you could piss endlessly on the floor?

Or that you could actually meet Death, who turned out to be a complete dick?

Simulated life games are one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. You play video games to relax from life, when life feels like attaching a hatchet to your sternum, or wrapping a chain around your neck and dragging you through the potent mixture of broken thermometers, Razorblades, and fire.

To relax is not to simulate, it's to play something that doesn't need to make sense.

P.S.

Women ARE evil, watch LMN once, It's designed to kill men.

Ardus_Virgo

Aug 11, 2008
I suppose that Yahtzee is right about the sims being evil. I actually like the game, I bought almost all the expansion packs for the first one, and the with the second one I missed about 3, but whatever on that, and with the third one, I got it straight away. I agree with all of Yahtzee's points, the game IS a pointless waste of time, but I don't know why, I cant seem to stop wanting to play it! (I guess EA has begun using magic to keep people into their games. :p )

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
rated pg said:
Well good review, but honestly...saying there's nothing else to review? What about Red Faction: Guerilla? What about the new Indiana Jones game (although I realize it would probably take longer to dust off the Wii than to beat the game)? If you want to start going further back, there's UFC, Damnation, Punchout!, Sacred 2, Xmen Origins: Wolverine, Demigod...
Damnation! Man, would I LOVE to hear a Yahtzee Damnation review. Even "mainstream" reviewers are ripping that hunk of feces apart with their teeth, trying to avoid the peanuts. The only thing about it is Ben would probably resent us forever for making him play a copycat turd like that one.

Tayrtahn

Feb 24, 2008
I have to admit that I enjoy controlling my own little world through The Sims. It's especially nice for me now as a college-age guy living at home and sorting out personal issues before getting back to the real world. The Sims has always been a power trip of sorts - the people who it appeals to the most are the people who have little control over their own lives.

But the lack of content in The Sims 3 is definitely annoying. EA clearly set things up to encourage microtransactions on the (overpriced) store items to milk more money out of the game. The custom textures make up for it a little, but it's still kind of a dick move. Given the target audience's lack of familiarity with DLC, they'll probably make a killing at it too. Oh well, I'm going to continue playing with my bare-bones furniture set.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I can't determine which is more true: the fact that EA is powered by pure unadulterated greed and wickedness, or that women are malevolent self-absorbed control freaks.

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
I am glad to see the women bashing. In my quite humble opinion there isn't enough women bashing...ever.