Zero Punctuation: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

abija

Sep 7, 2008
or be professional enough to complain about the real weak points of the game
He did complain about the real weak point of the game: it's not idiot proof so Yahtzee can't enjoy it. A flaw like that is obviously a show stopper.

And btw, accusing others of being elitists and then providing ample examples of how incompetent you are tends to backfire.

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
Lizmichi said:
Oh yes yes burn Yahtzee for disliking something. It's not his job to like a game, it's his job to tell you what the game did wrong and why he didn't like it. He hated the Witcher so I'm not surprised he hated the Witcher 2. I honestly didn't like the Witcher at all so I guess I need to hang.

Guys it's ok for someone to dislike something you like. Why should what others think of something matter if you like it. That's fine really it is. I don't go after others for liking the Witcher or hating Dragon Age 2. I love Dragon Age 2 and I know that allot of people don't agree with me and that's fine. My point is let Yahtzee think what he thinks, you can disagree with him but god please people calm down.
I don't think anyone is protesting against Yahtzee's opinion, just at the manner in which he arrived to it.

Basically he ran it on a s**t computer(which is funny since my ancient Nvidia 9600 GT does fine on low settings), sucked big time at it(probably didn't use any strategy other than hack and slash, a by-product of playing too many dumbed down console games me thinks) and tried to hide it by having a go at the PC crowd to make himself look cool and save face at the same time.

His review shows everything that's wrong with many gamers today. I've been mostly a PC gamer for the better part of a decade, though not exclusively PC obviously. Witcher is in no way a complex game to learn, the only thing complex about it is its intricate storyline with many endings and such but it's not like this hasn't been done already.

To come here and read that some players:

-don't know how to use bombs in combat.

-don't know which sign does what(it's explained in the freaking journal).

-don't know why Geralt doesn't gulp potions during combat.

-don't know why we have a silver sword and a steel sword.

-don't know how to skip cutscenes.

-don't know what strategies and oils to use against particular monster(again, the freaking journal - see grapeshot with nekkers).

And so on. Gaming is becoming more and more dumbed down when a game like Witcher 2 is considered "difficult". It's only a bit challenging in certain sections but 90% of it is a freaking breeze on normal difficulty. And this is coming from a guy who isn't exactly a hardcore gamer.

Zeriu

Jun 9, 2011
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
Oh yes yes burn Yahtzee for disliking something. It's not his job to like a game, it's his job to tell you what the game did wrong and why he didn't like it. He hated the Witcher so I'm not surprised he hated the Witcher 2. I honestly didn't like the Witcher at all so I guess I need to hang.

Guys it's ok for someone to dislike something you like. Why should what others think of something matter if you like it. That's fine really it is. I don't go after others for liking the Witcher or hating Dragon Age 2. I love Dragon Age 2 and I know that allot of people don't agree with me and that's fine. My point is let Yahtzee think what he thinks, you can disagree with him but god please people calm down.
He is free to dislike it from the start, but then he should either not review the game at all, especially when he doesn't even have the hardware for it, or be professional enough to complain about the real weak points of the game instead of just making things up (cutscene skipping) or not even bothering to actually play the game (sign names, etc.)

I do not like DA2, but if I were like Yathzee, I would complain about "How should I know that cunning makes you crit harder"? And "No one told me what those icons above the enemies heads mean when I hit them with certain attacks" (Status effects that can be used to set up combos) or "Potions have cooldowns? That is dumb!".
The more I read, the more i see people ignoring your kind of consistent arguments. I seems that PC Elitists aren't the only ones with irrational opinions.

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
abija said:
or be professional enough to complain about the real weak points of the game
He did complain about the real weak point of the game: it's not idiot proof so Yahtzee can't enjoy it. A flaw like that is obviously a show stopper.
Not being idiot proof gains points in his favor IMO.

People like to exaggerate so much on the internets, it's not like this is a hardcore game that punishes you at every turn.

It has a few challenging bits(maybe five throughout the game) and I played on normal.

I agree that games which have a insane difficulty and/or clunky interface suck ass(I am anything but a hardcore gamer, I play just a couple each year cause I have little time) but witcher 2 doesn't have any of these problems, at least not in a major way.

Witcher 2 is not the kind of game that holds your hand and more importantly, treats you like a freaking adult, who thinks to prepare before a fight(and prepare is a big word, you just drink a couple of potions and coat your blade once you go in forests or caves),actually chooses tactics in a fight instead of clicking the mouse like crazy and knows how to read a freaking journal.

The only thing that sucks in Witcher 2 is the tutorial but even that is very short.

This is a game that has an AVERAGE score of 88 on metacritic and most users(so not critics that can be paid off) also give it 8.8-9 on AVERAGE. Cd Project must be doing something right if a game with clunky combat, bad inventory and that's not idiot proof(if we listen to the geniuses around here) is getting such high scores.

Now it's perfectly fine not to like it but don't give out such childish arguments(what does this sign do? why can't I skip cutscenes etc.). I wasn't crazy about mass effect 2(haven't really liked any bioware games since kotor series) rpg but I can't deny that it is a very good game.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
predatorpulse7 said:
Lizmichi said:

I don't think anyone is protesting against Yahtzee's opinion, just at the manner in which he arrived to it.

Basically he ran it on a s**t computer(which is funny since my ancient Nvidia 9600 GT does fine on low settings), sucked big time at it(probably didn't use any strategy other than hack and slash, a by-product of playing too many dumbed down console games me thinks) and tried to hide it by having a go at the PC crowd to make himself look cool and save face at the same time.

His review shows everything that's wrong with many gamers today. I've been mostly a PC gamer for the better part of a decade, though not exclusively PC obviously. Witcher is in no way a complex game to learn, the only thing complex about it is its intricate storyline with many endings and such but it's not like this hasn't been done already.

-don't know what strategies and oils to use against particular monster(again, the freaking journal - see grapeshot with nekkers).

And so on. Gaming is becoming more and more dumbed down when a game like Witcher 2 is considered "difficult". It's only a bit challenging in certain sections but 90% of it is a freaking breeze on normal difficulty. And this is coming from a guy who isn't exactly a hardcore gamer.
As I said he has a right to feel what he feels. I don't think he handled it poorly, I don't like ether of The Witcher games so I agree with Yahtzee.
Also when did graphics make his opinion not matter?

Farson89

Apr 16, 2009
Ah yes, the standard response to a particularly negative review, it's totally fine when he bashes anything else but when he dares to criticise your favourite game suddenly it's all "YAHTZEE U R THE WURST REVIEWER EVER, Y U HATE PC GAMES!?"

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Lizmichi said:
predatorpulse7 said:
Lizmichi said:

As I said he has a right to feel what he feels. I don't think he handled it poorly, I don't like ether of The Witcher games so I agree with Yahtzee.
You agree with Yathzee that the Sign names are too complicated and should have been named "fireball"?
Or do you just agree with his verdict "Witcher 2 is bad" but don't even care about his arguments? Have you even played TW2 so you can come to a conclusion if the points he raised are correct or not?

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:

He is free to dislike it from the start, but then he should either not review the game at all, especially when he doesn't even have the hardware for it, or be professional enough to complain about the real weak points of the game instead of just making things up (cutscene skipping) or not even bothering to actually play the game (sign names, etc.)

I do not like DA2, but if I were like Yathzee, I would complain about "How should I know that cunning makes you crit harder"? And "No one told me what those icons above the enemies heads mean when I hit them with certain attacks" (Status effects that can be used to set up combos) or "Potions have cooldowns? That is dumb!".
Yathzee did his job and made his point. He doesn't like The Witcher and I'm sorry you don't like that. When did graphics make someone qualified to review a game? Why treat other games like idiots when they didn't read the big book that came with it when it should have been in the game before? Not everyone plays D&D.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:

Yathzee did his job and made his point. He doesn't like The Witcher and I'm sorry you don't like that. When did graphics make someone qualified to review a game? Why treat other games like idiots when they didn't read the big book that came with it when it should have been in the game before? Not everyone plays D&D.
The Witcher 2 manual is hardly a big book. And everything important can be read in game anyway.
I ask again, can you even evaluate if Yahtzee did his job? Have you played TW2 and agree that the points Yahtzee objects to are really problems?

Or, what I think, do you just dislike TW2 without having played it and because Yathzee dislikes it, too, you agree with everything he says no matter what it is?

Here is the Witcher 2 manual.
http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/20920/The%20Witcher%202%20Manual%20-%20English.pdf?t=1305141546

Look at it and then tell me that this is too much to read.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
predatorpulse7 said:
Lizmichi said:

You agree with Yathzee that the Sign names are too complicated and should have been named "fireball"?
Or do you just agree with his verdict "Witcher 2 is bad" but don't even care about his arguments? Have you even played TW2 so you can come to a conclusion if the points he raised are correct or not?
If it's confusing then it's not well made I'm sorry but if I have to read a cotext to know what I'm casting then someone needs to rethink the names. I also agree with him not liking the Witcher 2. In old RPGs had a hint to what element you're casting.

I have played both Witchers and I didn't like ether one, I couldn't finish both of them and I will admit that but if I can't enjoy the game I will not like it. I still stand by my point of not liking the game. It seems we're at a standstill.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
predatorpulse7 said:
Lizmichi said:

If it's confusing then it's not well made I'm sorry but if I have to read a cotext to know what I'm casting then someone needs to rethink the names. I also agree with him not liking the Witcher 2. In old RPGs had a hint to what element you're casting.

I have played both Witchers and I didn't like ether one, I couldn't finish both of them and I will admit that but if I can't enjoy the game I will not like it. I still stand by my point of not liking the game. It seems we're at a standstill.
Please don't dodge the question.
Do you agree with Yathzee that for example remembering what the "Aard" sign does or looking it up in game is too complicated?
Do you agree with him that cutscenes can't be skipped? DO you agree with him that the game is much too long?

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
predatorpulse7 said:
Lizmichi said:

Please don't dodge teh question.
DO you agree with Yathzee that for example remembering what the "Aard" sign does or looking it up in game is too complicated?
Do you agree with him that cutscenes can't be skipped?
Look I don't agree with everything Yathzee says. The fact is I didn't not like the game and I do agree it was a bit too complicated and if cutscenes are too long then yes it would be nice to be able to skip it. Now I ask you to respect my feelings on the game as I have respected yours.

Nov 12, 2010
I think his biggest point was that he wasn't having any fun. We can all agree on how credible he really is at judging a game objectively. I, for one, have never witnessed one objective thing he said about a game or maybe I did, but it was such a long time ago I honestly couldn't recall even if my life depended on it.

Yahtzee doesn't review games, he rants on them. That's pretty much what he's about. Asking for anything more in his "reviews" ("this, so called, "review"...", I know) is about as relevant as asking a bum to go wash himself.

I agree with the guy. I wasn't having any fun as well. I don't say I'm objective though - the game might get infinitely better as it progresses, but I don't care. Why should I wait for something that should be fun by definition to become fun later?

And don't get me wrong: I love challenging and intricate games, I am a PC gamer after all. Just, please do separate challenging and frustrating. An example of a challenging game would be "Devil May Cry 3", one of my all time PS2 favs. The controls were sharp and responsive, the game was very hard even on normal. Still, every time I would die in DMC3 I knew it was my fault.

In "The Witcher 2", however, the terrible interface is to blame for all my misfortunes, amongst other things. I already told everything about it here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.290144.1150896].

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
predatorpulse7 said:
Lizmichi said:

Please don't dodge teh question.
DO you agree with Yathzee that for example remembering what the "Aard" sign does or looking it up in game is too complicated?
Do you agree with him that cutscenes can't be skipped?
Look I don't agree with everything Yathzee says. The fact is I didn't not like the game and I do agree it was a bit too complicated and if cutscenes are too long then yes it would be nice to be able to skip it. Now I ask you to respect my feelings on the game as I have respected yours.
So you agree with Yathzee that cutscenes can't be skipped even though they can be?

As I see it you don't like TW2, Yathzee doesn't like TW2 so you agree with him and defend his decision no matter what his actual arguments are. Yet it are those arguments why I criticise this review and not Yathzees feelings about the game because most, if not all of those arguments are either completely, factually wrong or just silly and look like he didn't even want to review the game at all and put no effort in it.

abija

Sep 7, 2008
If it's confusing then it's not well made I'm sorry but if I have to read a cotext to know what I'm casting then someone needs to rethink the names.
Though choice for a game designer: "some reviewers or people on the internet will complain the spell names aren't obvious" versus "try to capture as much from the universe described in the books as possible".
Or in other words: "please some useless whiny *****" versus "respect the lore".
Such a tough choice, wonder how much they spent on it.

jaateloauto

Jan 23, 2008
Lizmichi said:
If it's confusing then it's not well made I'm sorry but if I have to read a cotext to know what I'm casting then someone needs to rethink the names.
I'm guessing you also complain because the main character's name in a game is not "Hero", bad guy's name isn't "Evil dude" and the world isn't named "Earth".

I guess it kept you from reading/watching Harry Potter when the spell Alohomora wasn't named Opendoorspell.

Most people here I'd imagine are perfectly fine with Yahtzee and others disliking Witcher 2. The combat is clunky, there are a few bugs and the game requires a little more thinking than your normal spoon-feeding games. In fact more times than not negative reviews from Yahtzee are the most enjoyable ones and his funny critiques are why we watch him. But when the review is just about nitpicking and the reviewer's cluelesness then it does not have anything to do with the game itself which is regrettable. There's plenty to make fun of in Witcher 2, sadly this review did not find them.

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:

Not everyone plays D&D?

I haven't played D&D in my life and I'm not even that much into RPG's yet I enjoyed TW 2 very much and I got the lore and most of the combat stuff in the first couple of hours.

Since gaming is becoming more and more dumbed down, every gamer that doesn't have ADD is suddenly seen as some sort of genius for figuring the game out.

Sorry if this makes me sound elitist but the TW 2 is no way a complex game to figure out.

Just admit that you are too lazy to open up the journal and actually READ(and it's not like there are large blocks of text, especially when we get to combat mechanics and signs, it's like a small paragraph or two).

Fullmetalfox

Apr 5, 2011
Gametek said:
Fullmetalfox said:
I think this video was spot on. Well done. Another Great ZP.
PC gaming is cool but PC elitists are pathetic and they are the reason why The Witcher 2's developers made such horrible design choices. Its clearly made for them! They think having to read a big ass manual is the same as depth. They think bad design is the same as challenge. Well you get what you ask for.
Enjoy your steamy pile of crap!
I want to see the reaction when this game is portrayed on the Xbox, actually. You know, I prefer that the consol noob [ehy, it is you that call "elite" the pc gamer] decided that for them self, after having actually tried it out.
I didn't call PC gamers "Elite". I called PC elitists "PC elitists".
Not all PC gamers are arrogant elitist pricks. If that was the case, I would have given up on PC gaming a long time ago.
Btw, This game would suck on consoles too. The difference would be that most console gamers wouldn't try to defend it because they have higher standards than PC elitists who just want every design aspect except graphics to stay stuck in the late 90s. Isn't that the reason most of you people piss on Bioshock while infinitely praising System Shock 2? lol

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
jaateloauto said:
But when the review is just about nitpicking and the reviewer's cluelesness then it does not have anything to do with the game itself which is regrettable.
Bingo. Nailed it.

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
Fullmetalfox said:
The difference would be that most console gamers wouldn't try to defend it because they have higher standards than PC elitists who just want every design aspect except graphics to stay stuck in the late 90s. Isn't that the reason most of you people piss on Bioshock while infinitely praising System Shock 2? lol
LMAO at console gamers have "highest standards". Consoles and most of the games made for them are made to appeal to the lowest common denominator, which isn't bad since they are making lots of money, but they aren't exactly re-inventing the wheel here.

A mediocre game gets exposed on PC, however pretty the graphics are. In fact I think it's quite the opposite, a game can succeed on PC on mechanics and story alone since a lot of PC's won't be able to play latest games on high settings and such.

Halo is absolutely huge amongst the console fanboys but the PC versions that I've played seemed like mediocre shooters(when compared to a serious sam or painkiller) and nothing more. The Fable series were pretty big on consoles yet any decent PC RPG from the last years on PC kills it, pisses on it and sets its corpse on fire.

Bioshock is a great game on any platform but the reason people are downgrading it when it comes to a comparison with SS2 isn't because of the platform per se, but because SS2 is a better game and the developers of Bioshock would know since they ripped it off massively.