Zero Punctuation: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
1. WTF are the real comments doing below the Facebook comments?
2. Laptop? Game too challenging? *shakes head, walks away*

Funny video though. I don't even have any fondness for this game, I just find Yahtzee's noobishness funny.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Jandau said:
Worst ZP in a while. Can essentially be summed up as "I think PC gamers suck and I don't posses basic cognitive functions or an atention span longer than 5 seconds". I know ZP isn't supposed to be taken seriously, but this one just rubbed me the wrong way...
I agree... It sounds like this game doesn't spoon feed you, which actually makes me more intrigued to play it. I've grown rather tired of rpg games holding hands with you and it sounded to me that all he was doing was whining because his hand was cold.

"This game isn't any good because I don't have patience." Then review something else.

Lizmichi said:
Not everyone plays D&D.
In some way, shape, or form, everyone who is a gamer has, and almost all of them will never realize it.

Gametek

May 20, 2011
Fullmetalfox said:
Gametek said:
Fullmetalfox said:
I think this video was spot on. Well done. Another Great ZP.
PC gaming is cool but PC elitists are pathetic and they are the reason why The Witcher 2's developers made such horrible design choices. Its clearly made for them! They think having to read a big ass manual is the same as depth. They think bad design is the same as challenge. Well you get what you ask for.
Enjoy your steamy pile of crap!
I want to see the reaction when this game is portrayed on the Xbox, actually. You know, I prefer that the consol noob [ehy, it is you that call "elite" the pc gamer] decided that for them self, after having actually tried it out.
I didn't call PC gamers "Elite". I called PC elitists "PC elitists".
Not all PC gamers are arrogant elitist pricks. If that was the case, I would have given up on PC gaming a long time ago.
Btw, This game would suck on consoles too. The difference would be that most console gamers wouldn't try to defend it because they have higher standards than PC elitists who just want every design aspect except graphics to stay stuck in the late 90s. Isn't that the reason most of you people piss on Bioshock while infinitely praising System Shock 2? lol
Bioshock is one f the best game I ever played, actually. Easy, bad incredibly good.

In any given case, THIS GAME WOUNT SUCK ON CONSOLE. It's this kind of mindset that is wrong. It's like if you yourself claim that all console gamer like easy, linear and streamlined game. It's simply illogical. That depend highly on the user taste.

It's like twilight, I prefer to be impaled and burned to a crisp more than looking at any of it's film. And yet so many liked it. You know how much it sold only with his book.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
Though its probably not as much fun to agree with you every week...but another great episode. One of the best in my opinion

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
azriel2422 said:
Though its probably not as much fun to agree with you every week...but another great episode. One of the best in my opinion
Mind if I ask you why you think it is a good episode when many things Yatzhee mentions are just wrong or are obviously the result of him not even trying to play the game?

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
predatorpulse7 said:
Lizmichi said:
Oh yes yes burn Yahtzee for disliking something. It's not his job to like a game, it's his job to tell you what the game did wrong and why he didn't like it. He hated the Witcher so I'm not surprised he hated the Witcher 2. I honestly didn't like the Witcher at all so I guess I need to hang.

Guys it's ok for someone to dislike something you like. Why should what others think of something matter if you like it. That's fine really it is. I don't go after others for liking the Witcher or hating Dragon Age 2. I love Dragon Age 2 and I know that allot of people don't agree with me and that's fine. My point is let Yahtzee think what he thinks, you can disagree with him but god please people calm down.
I don't think anyone is protesting against Yahtzee's opinion, just at the manner in which he arrived to it.

Basically he ran it on a s**t computer(which is funny since my ancient Nvidia 9600 GT does fine on low settings), sucked big time at it(probably didn't use any strategy other than hack and slash, a by-product of playing too many dumbed down console games me thinks) and tried to hide it by having a go at the PC crowd to make himself look cool and save face at the same time.

His review shows everything that's wrong with many gamers today. I've been mostly a PC gamer for the better part of a decade, though not exclusively PC obviously. Witcher is in no way a complex game to learn, the only thing complex about it is its intricate storyline with many endings and such but it's not like this hasn't been done already.

To come here and read that some players:

-don't know how to use bombs in combat.

-don't know which sign does what(it's explained in the freaking journal).

-don't know why Geralt doesn't gulp potions during combat.

-don't know why we have a silver sword and a steel sword.

-don't know how to skip cutscenes.

-don't know what strategies and oils to use against particular monster(again, the freaking journal - see grapeshot with nekkers).

And so on. Gaming is becoming more and more dumbed down when a game like Witcher 2 is considered "difficult". It's only a bit challenging in certain sections but 90% of it is a freaking breeze on normal difficulty. And this is coming from a guy who isn't exactly a hardcore gamer.
As I said he has a right to feel what he feels. I don't think he handled it poorly, I don't like ether of The Witcher games so I agree with Yahtzee.
You agree with Yathzee that the Sign names are too complicated and should have been named "fireball"?
Or do you just agree with his verdict "Witcher 2 is bad" but don't even care about his arguments? Have you even played TW2 so you can come to a conclusion if the points he raised are correct or not?
If it's confusing then it's not well made I'm sorry but if I have to read a cotext to know what I'm casting then someone needs to rethink the names. I also agree with him not liking the Witcher 2. In old RPGs had a hint to what element you're casting.

I have played both Witchers and I didn't like ether one, I couldn't finish both of them and I will admit that but if I can't enjoy the game I will not like it. I still stand by my point of not liking the game. It seems we're at a standstill.
Please don't dodge teh question.
DO you agree with Yathzee that for example remembering what the "Aard" sign does or looking it up in game is too complicated?
Do you agree with him that cutscenes can't be skipped?
Look I don't agree with everything Yathzee says. The fact is I didn't not like the game and I do agree it was a bit too complicated and if cutscenes are too long then yes it would be nice to be able to skip it. Now I ask you to respect my feelings on the game as I have respected yours.
Would the knowledge that all cutscenes in the game are, in fact, skippable change your opinion on the particular issues of cutscenes?

Pretty much everything Yahtzee mentioned with the exception of pure opinions (eg "I don't like how this feels") are uninformed and just plain incorrect.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
Not at all. I don't always agree with what he says about games, and to be honest I have not played some of the games he reviews (the one in question included). I thoroughly enjoy his humor and because I do not have an argument to the contrary, I have nothing to disagree with. So I guess in context I don't necessarily "agree" with him this particular week, but I was entertained as usual, and that is all I wanted. It wasn't to bash those that like the Witcher or anything; in fact the premise of the game sounds fun. I think the point of Yahtzee's show is not to get a good "review" of a game, its to see how little he can say bad about it lol. He is going to pick a game apart if he can, and that doesn't make it a bad game. That is ultimately what I meant by my post :)

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Fullmetalfox said:
I think this video was spot on. Well done. Another Great ZP.
PC gaming is cool but PC elitists are pathetic and they are the reason why The Witcher 2's developers made such horrible design choices. Its clearly made for them! They think having to read a big ass manual is the same as depth. They think bad design is the same as challenge. Well you get what you ask for.
Enjoy your steamy pile of crap!
I almost find it hard to believe you're serious but then I see these opinions and judgements quite frequently on these forums and I realise you are in fact in earnest.

A lack of hand-holding does not equal bad design. I can't emphasise that enough, accessibility is not a requirement for a good game, accessibility is merely a requirement for good sales which is why the modern AAA industry is so focused on it, and why so many gamers have become so used to hand-holding that they throw their hands up and call "bad design" when ever there is some genuine challenge in a game.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
azriel2422 said:
He is going to pick a game apart if he can, and that doesn't make it a bad game.
Thing is, Yathzee didn't really "pick apart" the game as most of his points are either completely wrong (all cutscenes can be skipped, no idea why he says they can't) or his own fault (I don't want to remember the effects of 4 spells, I don't want to open the in game journal and read what they do).

The only thing I can agree with him is that potions can't be drunken mid combat (but that hardly is game crippling as depending on your playstyle there are not that many different options which make sense for you).

There are a lot of shortcomings in the game Yathzee could have picked up like the wonky targeting or the frequent texture appearing right in front of you. I would have understood and agreed with jokes abot those things. Why he had to resort to making things up or joke more about his own shortcommings (but still make it look like it is the games fault) I don't know.

But I guess when you haven't played the game you don't notice how wrong Yathzee is this time. I wonder if he does this often...

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Ixal said:
The only thing I can agree with him is that potions can't be drunken mid combat (but that hardly is game crippling as depending on your playstyle there are not that many different options which make sense for you).
That can actually be answered very easily by the story's lore.

The potions are highly toxic (i.e. 3 potions poisons you and nearly kills you in the game), deadly to humans even, and requires meditation for a Witcher to down them. The books give Geralt a couple of hours, the game lets you do it instantly so long as you are meditating.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
bob1052 said:
Ixal said:
That can actually be answered very easily by the story's lore.

The potions are highly toxic (i.e. 3 potions poisons you and nearly kills you), deadly to humans even, and requires meditation for a Witcher to down them. The books give Geralt a couple of hours, the game lets you do it instantly so long as you are meditating.
I do know that, having played Witcher 1.
Still, it is a deviation from the first game, thus I think criticising that is kinda valid.
PS: with an Alchemist talent you can drink 4 potions, if you can handle the toxin.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
Ixal said:
azriel2422 said:
He is going to pick a game apart if he can, and that doesn't make it a bad game.
Thing is, Yathzee didn't really "pick apart" the game as most of his points are either completely wrong (all cutscenes can be skipped, no idea why he says they can't) or his own fault (I don't want to remember the effects of 4 spells, I don't want to open the in game journal and read what they do).

There are a lot of shortcomings in the game Yathzee could have picked up like the wonky targeting or the frequent texture appearing right in front of you. I would have understood and agreed with jokes abot those things. Why he had to resort to making things up or joke more about his own shortcommings (but still make it look like it is the games fault) I don't know.

But I guess when you haven't played the game you don't notice how wrong Yathzee is this time. I wonder if he does this often...
I would venture to guess he does this quite often, with the amount of things on his table, he probably does not give all games a fair shake as it were. That being said, again I don't think he gives true "reviews" of games, and I don't really think he ever has. This is a video game-web based-comedy/review of games and if its something he can exaggerate or turn into hyperbole he will...and thats what makes it funny. He has verbally destroyed games like Bioshock 2 and a ton of sequels that frankly are fun games, but thats not the point of his show (again, in my opinion). I honestly think he probably left those things out that you agreed with solely because he could not write a funny enough joke to fit in to the show.

Thats if he even played it that thoroughly. You are right though, I would not know what was accurate or not from Adam because I hadn't played this game...but that wouldn't keep me from trying it. That may be your concern, that his review has inaccuracies and therefore might prevent someone who actually does want to play it from buying or trying the game. If people truly watch his shows for a genuine review then they will sorely disappointed to find out that not a good game has been made since Silent Hill 2 on the Playstation 2 lol.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
bob1052 said:
Would the knowledge that all cutscenes in the game are, in fact, skippable change your opinion on the particular issues of cutscenes?

Pretty much everything Yahtzee mentioned with the exception of pure opinions (eg "I don't like how this feels") are uninformed and just plain incorrect.
This.

Yahtzee, the unsophisticated and quaint prole that he is at his heart, didn't really do his research. Of course, being the simple mind that he is, it's unfair to demand as much from him. After all, we all know he doesn't do this with bad intentions - it's just that his working class family passed him specific values - not of independent thought, but the value of dick jokes.

Quite a resentful attitude he has there as well. I say, to hell with your sentiments and regrets, Yahtzee! Don't fight your heritage - getting drunk on four bottles of expensive wine won't grant you the sudden gift of appreciating it and after spending your whole paycheck you'll be as clueless as before as to why this Château Lafite is supposedly better and so coveted among those snobs instead of your personal pick of Mad Dog 20/20.

What I see is a generation spoiled by artificial crutches, playing games made so that everyone feels special. Games with no challenge and little depth.

It makes me happy that there still are places like Poland. Places where the ideas of the western game industry haven't spread yet. Sure, they might have the technology of today, but it's clear they still think it's 1995 in terms of gaming. Most importantly, their management does. They could have made this game easier, simpler, more lulzy, more accessible. They'd make a killer profit. Instead they made a game that appeals to few - a game they themselves would like to play. Intentional or not, they deserve respect for it.

I don't mind the constant diarrhea of brainless productions, reskinned clones of Call of Whatever. As long as I have gems like those, I'm a happy man.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
archont said:
They could have made this game easier, simpler, more lulzy, more accessible. They'd make a killer profit.
Fun fact, according to pretty much all tracking sites, they already outsold the streamlined Dragon Age 2 on the PC market. I hope that this will also happen on the XBox when it is released there.

sobaka770

Jun 20, 2008
If you haven't played or finished Witcher 1 you will obviously need to read up on lore and signs, and swords. I wonder why Yahtzee was actually wondering about the two swords, does it mean he actually didn't make it to act 2 in the first game? That's kind of sad. Seriously though, if you start with ME2 or DA" without playing the first parts, you would also feel a bit lost. So all of that "I don't know who the characters are" comment line is just stupid.

Also, that was a very biased review. Made this game sound worse than DA2 which is an impossibility and for no good reason. And probably will defend this stance in Extra Punctuation, oh, how sad. Hopefully that's a one-time thing.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
sobaka770 said:
If you haven't played or finished Witcher 1 you will obviously need to read up on lore and signs, and swords. I wonder why Yahtzee was actually wondering about the two swords, does it mean he actually didn't make it to act 2 in the first game? That's kind of sad. Seriously though, if you start with ME2 or DA" without playing the first parts, you would also feel a bit lost. So all of that "I don't know who the characters are" comment line is just stupid.

Also, that was a very biased review. Made this game sound worse than DA2 which is an impossibility and for no good reason. And probably will defend this stance in Extra Punctuation, oh, how sad. Hopefully that's a one-time thing.
Yahtzee hasn't been credible in a very long time. I recall him flat out lying in Monster Hunter Tri just to substantiate his hatred. His "reviews" are good for laughs and little else, but if you want objectivity, you'd be best served elsewhere.

Between Bethesda announcing that they are focusing on the console version of Skyrim (without a single word towards the PC version), and this review, I can now see why the PC vs Console war on the forums have flared up again.

T0bias

Feb 18, 2011
Sweet mother of god you suck. The entire video was "hurr this game is bad because I am completely inept durrr"

I've been playing the game on the "hard" difficulty and finding it somewhat challenging and quite fun.

The menu system takes about five seconds to work out, you mouse over the categories and it tells you what sort of items you'll find there. As for mutagens THE FIRST TIME YOU PICK ONE UP A BOX POPS UP AND SAYS "HEY YOU, GO INTO THE MEDITATION MODE MENU WHERE YOU SPEND TALENT POINTS AND FIND ONE WITH A LITTLE BLACK CIRCLE ON IT. THIS MEANS YOU CAN MUTATE THIS SKILL WITH A MUTAGEN" so all I can say is, yahtzee, for the love of god, LEARN TO F***ING READ. With the armor upgrades they actually DO work if you just double click on them in the inventory.

I don't know what game you were playing, but the combat is intuitive and rather easy, the dodge roll is instant, and likewise the first time you use one of the magic signs a box pops up and tells you exactly what it does and how it works so obviously you just weren't paying any god damn attention.

Literally the first time I became frustrated at the game was when I first had to fight the kingslayer guy, I got dominated, over and over again. What did I do? I reloaded to the autosave before the fight, actually used/made somne of the god mode superpotions and hand grenades for the first time in the game, then went and kicked his ass.

In the first game you needed to use potions almost every second fight. The fact that 10 hours in was the first time I needed anything more then my sword and signs in the sequel on the second hardest game mode makes me a little disappointed with the difficulty. That said, this really a game where you play the medieval equivalent of Batman and with that in mind it's the greatest RPG since Morrowind.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Ixal said:
Lizmichi said:
Oh yes yes burn Yahtzee for disliking something. It's not his job to like a game, it's his job to tell you what the game did wrong and why he didn't like it. He hated the Witcher so I'm not surprised he hated the Witcher 2. I honestly didn't like the Witcher at all so I guess I need to hang.

Guys it's ok for someone to dislike something you like. Why should what others think of something matter if you like it. That's fine really it is. I don't go after others for liking the Witcher or hating Dragon Age 2. I love Dragon Age 2 and I know that allot of people don't agree with me and that's fine. My point is let Yahtzee think what he thinks, you can disagree with him but god please people calm down.
He is free to dislike it from the start, but then he should either not review the game at all, especially when he doesn't even have the hardware for it, or be professional enough to complain about the real weak points of the game instead of just making things up (cutscene skipping) or not even bothering to actually play the game (sign names, etc.)

I do not like DA2, but if I were like Yathzee, I would complain about "How should I know that cunning makes you crit harder"? And "No one told me what those icons above the enemies heads mean when I hit them with certain attacks" (Status effects that can be used to set up combos) or "Potions have cooldowns? That is dumb!".
And people wonder why they get called elitists. Let me summarise your post: 'no one should have an opinion about this game unless they can afford the kind of monolith that runs it comfortably and they only talk about the 'real weak points', of which there are none, therefore every review will be a shining 10/10.'