Zero Punctuation: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
511
2
23
Ulquiorra4sama said:
animeprime said:
Having a bit of a hard time deciding if I should get this for PC or PS4. My PC is barely a year old and would have no trouble running it. But I justified my purchase of a PS4 for Bloodborne and possibly this game. If there is that much of a difference between the console and PC version I may just wait for the steam sale of it in a few weeks.
One of the devs of the game has also gone on record saying he'd rather play Witcher 3 on the lowest setting on PC than play it on the Xbox One. I can only assume he feels the same way about PS4.
If you actually paid attention to what he said, he said that because of the resolution on the Xbox One is less than that on PC and PS4. He never said anything about the PS4.
 

lightfantastic

New member
Oct 22, 2014
1
0
0
xSerix said:
Adam Jensen said:
It sounds like he played the game on easy or normal.
Nope, it sounds like he played it on hard/hardest. His description of the combat fits all difficulties.
It actually doesn't, because mashing fast attack on Death March will have you open to dying in one combo, very easily. Especially against bigger monsters, even if you are over levelled.

That said, he was reaching for criticism, which is humorous in its own way. I did like some of the jokes. Your mum never fails to please me.
 

The Dead Singer

New member
Feb 19, 2014
35
0
0
Doom972 said:
Wow, he actually recommended it. Impressive. I hope they didn't dumb it down too much. I'll get it next month along with a hardware upgrade for my PC.
Somewhat and somewhat not. In a lot of ways the game is closer to the first game than the second one which I'm surprised not many people seem to have pointed out, not even reviews (Tw2 is all that matters right???). Tw1 was quite a bit more complex, gameplay wise, than the second one, but the elements that returned were streamlined a fair bit, while the elements that remained from tw2 are mostly identical.
 

Colt47

New member
Oct 31, 2012
1,065
0
0
Adam Jensen said:
It sounds like he played the game on easy or normal.
Given my experience in hard mode in the first dungeon, I was burning through so many supplies I had to turn it to normal just to survive the final fling with some skull armored dude and a gargoyle. My poor silver sword was aching horribly, as well. Good times.
 

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
4,896
0
0
Loving this game, but the first mod I find which makes equipment degrade slower is going to be installed immediately.

This may have been mentioned already, but there is an upgrade for the basic healing potion. It lets you use it more. The higher level ones might do more too. Not sure.

Also, about the certain death because of the tree choice: it took everything in me to not reload a save. By the end of that quest line, I was so invested in that character's life that I was genuinely chocked up at their death.
Adam Jensen said:
It sounds like he played the game on easy or normal.
Ya, I'm getting along similarly to him as far as combat goes. I have dabbled in some decoctions, but it definitely seems like alchemy is more important for higher difficulty levels (especially since meditating doesn't heal you).
 

Jorpho

New member
Nov 6, 2008
130
0
0
Jburton9 said:
Great review Yahtzee thank you, lots of very funny moments : )

Monocle dropping "By Jove!" We need that in more games for aggro moments heh.
I agree, this is the most entertaining ZP video I've seen in a while.
 

Abomination

New member
Dec 17, 2012
2,939
0
0
Thing runs fine on my GTX 670. Sure I had shadows on minimum with no hair works but was able to put detail and textures to maximum and enjoyed 60+ FPS constantly.

Story's great, the facial animations can be somewhat uncanny valley at times but there are other moments of brilliant subtlety in facial expressions, even from Geralt who (and the game even makes fun of this) hardly shows much emotion at all.
 

Jennacide

New member
Dec 6, 2007
1,019
0
0
See, even Yahtzee has a hard time ragging on this game outside the console ports being terrible and Gwent feeling like it's forced on us. (though it's not, you can wholesale ignore it) It is sort of a shame that the "recommended" PC settings are more accurately the "if you want to play this at all" settings. But despite that annoyance, Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've played in a long time, it scratches all those itches I have for exploration and good character development.
 

TruthInGaming

New member
Apr 29, 2015
39
0
0
I like how people think an ok story despite all of the game flaws is somehow a recommendation for a triple A game. Kind of shows how low our standards have fallen.
 

irishda

New member
Dec 16, 2010
968
0
0
TruthInGaming said:
I like how people think an ok story despite all of the game flaws is somehow a recommendation for a triple A game. Kind of shows how low our standards have fallen.
I've yet to see a video game with anything beyond an OK story outside of Telltale, but the Witcher stories are usually a leg up on others.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
17,361
1,552
118
disgruntledgamer said:
Oh for Christ sake Yahtzee do you like it/recommend it or not. Stop being so being vague give an over all recommendation not just one aspect.
I thought it was pretty clear he liked the game, if that helps you any.
 

carewolf

New member
Jan 10, 2015
18
0
0
sageoftruth said:
Doom972 said:
Wow, he actually recommended it. Impressive. I hope they didn't dumb it down too much. I'll get it next month along with a hardware upgrade for my PC.
They did, a bit. For instance, in most cases, you only need to craft stuff once. Sword oils never run out, while potions and bombs do, but you'll automatically replenish them when you meditate if you have a strong alcohol in your inventory.
Also in descriptions the game "accidentally" refers to the spirit in the tree as evil on several occasions, though I just thought the tree was just misunderstood and game was just being racist (against evil spirits I guess??). I found the assumption of evil to be offensive and set the poor misunderstood murderish devil soul free.
 

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
1,786
0
0
Ryallen said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
animeprime said:
Having a bit of a hard time deciding if I should get this for PC or PS4. My PC is barely a year old and would have no trouble running it. But I justified my purchase of a PS4 for Bloodborne and possibly this game. If there is that much of a difference between the console and PC version I may just wait for the steam sale of it in a few weeks.
One of the devs of the game has also gone on record saying he'd rather play Witcher 3 on the lowest setting on PC than play it on the Xbox One. I can only assume he feels the same way about PS4.
If you actually paid attention to what he said, he said that because of the resolution on the Xbox One is less than that on PC and PS4. He never said anything about the PS4.
Which is why it's called an assumption, no? Besides i only read the headline, i don't have much of a mind to pay attention to news about a game i have literally no interest in owning on any platform.
 

silasbufu

New member
Aug 5, 2009
1,095
0
0
Complaining about too much content? That seems a bit far fetched :) . You can finish the game on a moderate difficulty without even having to enter the alchemy screen.
 

ryan_cs

New member
Aug 13, 2013
105
0
0
carewolf said:
sageoftruth said:
Doom972 said:
Wow, he actually recommended it. Impressive. I hope they didn't dumb it down too much. I'll get it next month along with a hardware upgrade for my PC.
They did, a bit. For instance, in most cases, you only need to craft stuff once. Sword oils never run out, while potions and bombs do, but you'll automatically replenish them when you meditate if you have a strong alcohol in your inventory.
Also in descriptions the game "accidentally" refers to the spirit in the tree as evil on several occasions, though I just thought the tree was just misunderstood and game was just being racist (against evil spirits I guess??). I found the assumption of evil to be offensive and set the poor misunderstood murderish devil soul free.
I thought that both were evil. I also wonder if there's a third option or if you have to choose the lesser evil?
 

sageoftruth

New member
Jan 29, 2010
3,417
0
0
carewolf said:
sageoftruth said:
Doom972 said:
Wow, he actually recommended it. Impressive. I hope they didn't dumb it down too much. I'll get it next month along with a hardware upgrade for my PC.
They did, a bit. For instance, in most cases, you only need to craft stuff once. Sword oils never run out, while potions and bombs do, but you'll automatically replenish them when you meditate if you have a strong alcohol in your inventory.
Also in descriptions the game "accidentally" refers to the spirit in the tree as evil on several occasions, though I just thought the tree was just misunderstood and game was just being racist (against evil spirits I guess??). I found the assumption of evil to be offensive and set the poor misunderstood murderish devil soul free.
Ah, me too. Just last night actually. I thought I had just missed something in the dialogue earlier when Geralt said that it was an evil spirit, but I refused to use save scumming to undo what I had done.
 

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
511
2
23
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Ryallen said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
animeprime said:
Having a bit of a hard time deciding if I should get this for PC or PS4. My PC is barely a year old and would have no trouble running it. But I justified my purchase of a PS4 for Bloodborne and possibly this game. If there is that much of a difference between the console and PC version I may just wait for the steam sale of it in a few weeks.
One of the devs of the game has also gone on record saying he'd rather play Witcher 3 on the lowest setting on PC than play it on the Xbox One. I can only assume he feels the same way about PS4.
If you actually paid attention to what he said, he said that because of the resolution on the Xbox One is less than that on PC and PS4. He never said anything about the PS4.
Which is why it's called an assumption, no? Besides i only read the headline, i don't have much of a mind to pay attention to news about a game i have literally no interest in owning on any platform.
Then you actually should have read the article. I fell for it too until I read the entire thing.