Zero Punctuation: Titanfall - It's Got Big Stompy Robots

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I honestly didn't know that Titanfall was a multi-player only game. I thought it had a single player campaign and was probably going to pick up the Xbox 360 version of it when it eventually got released.

Bullet dodged there, Yahtzee. Thank you.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I'll just sit here blissfully having never played it due to ignoring all of the hype.

I've watched a gameplay video here or there, CoD with robots - ground breaking.

I'm sure looking forward to CoD with robots 2: moderner robots that will be released in 9 months and I'll definitely be all in for the CoD with Robots: Black Robots in another 8 months after that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, it seems to be unwritten law that in Dark Souls, upon entering another player's world for whatever reason, you bow to the host of the world, and the host normally returns the favor. I actually quite like it. But yeah, this review seems to sum up what I've seen of titanfall. Fun as Hell, not worth full retail.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wow. A $60 only online, only multiplayer game isn't worth it. Who would have guessed?!
All serious though, I played it on a friend's console. I asked if this was basically a single PVP map from any MMORPG. He said yes. I asked "For $60?" He looked at me for a moment...
Then asked if I wanted to play Diablo III on 360.
We had a great time!

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah, Angry Joe made more or less the same points as you, Yahtzee. To be fair, by playing the game you realize it's true: the game has excellent movement and the titans do feel like an upgrade but not a game breaker. With appropiate maneuvering you can down a titan on foot.

In the end, it needs more polish though. Maybe more maps and better integration with the story. What it doesn't need is yearly (or bi-yearly, or nth-yearly) sequels.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Reaffirming that there really is no reason for me to pick up this game... ever... despite it's fantastic Mech Design.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah the Back to the Future ride comparison makes me sad a little seeing that is gone and replaced by a similar ride with CG Simpsons.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
You are not the first to ping this game for lack of single player, Yahtzee...and I'm sure you won't be the last.

I think it is safe to say that there is only one game to have done multiplayer only FPS correctly. *COUGH*TF2*COUGH*

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
That's Yahtzee's attack on Titan... Fall. I was hoping you weren't going to ignore the price and the fact that they advertised this with only "Believe The Hype" (already gonna be a hit) just because it's actually fun. I'll be waiting for this one to drop in price.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Video Game multiplayer is to social interaction what being gang-raped by the Sisters in Shawshank was to Andy. Fight like hell to avoid it and if its forced on you, just hope you get the polite one.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
To be honest, they charge you way more then 80 bucks to get on that Back to the Future ride, AND make you sit in a very long que.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I expected this to be a Aprils first joke that arrived a day too late.

I actually like that there isn?t a single player campaign since those typically suck and drain resources away pointlessly, I do think that charging 60 dollars for a multiplayer only game is completely ridiculous.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
From what I've seen of the game, it could have had a fantastic single player campaign given the game's mechanics and setting. To see it so limited kind of makes me sad. Glad Yahtzee actually did manage to enjoy something multiplayer.

I'll be passing on this, though; mainly because I'm not about to break my EA boycott. Also, how long do you think until they start rolling out microtransactions?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Yahtzee is definitely on point here and I can't disagree at all but I love how fun the game is and how much enjoyment I get out of stomping around in a mech. Having played through the campaign a few times now I do understand who the characters are and story but when analyzed it still isn't really a story at all but just a bunch of people on opposing sides fighting to stay supplied and capture strategic locations for an ongoing war... that is pretty much it. Spyglass being my favorite character mostly because he seems to be the only rational one in the entire war who hasnt betrayed their side or isn't ruled by blind ideology.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:
You are not the first to ping this game for lack of single player, Yahtzee...and I'm sure you won't be the last.

I think it is safe to say that there is only one game to have done multiplayer only FPS correctly. *COUGH*TF2*COUGH*
TF2? That's an odd way of saying Unreal Tournament or Unreal Tournament 2004.

OT: Thanks for pointing out it's multiplayer only, that knocks most of the price away. While the concept is appealing it's the price that kills it for me and I would imagine most people.