Zero Punctuation: Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.

Mr. Blond

Mar 4, 2009
it's so hard to tell without a rating system how much he likes/dislikes the games he rants about...it's hardly fair to call yahtzee's work "a review"...it is great though...always makes me laugh...i just wish he would say more often how much he liked or disliked the game in comparison to other recent titles

02cfranklin

Dec 30, 2008
Mr. Blond said:
it's so hard to tell without a rating system how much he likes/dislikes the games he rants about...it's hardly fair to call yahtzee's work "a review"...it is great though...always makes me laugh...I just wish he would say more often how much he liked or disliked the game in comparison to other recent titles
Even though in one of his episodes he does say that ratings are crap and that you can't display an opinion in numbers or something to that affect.

Mr. Blond

Mar 4, 2009
so he gives H.A.W.X. 4 out of 5 uncle sam shaped butt plugs...there are ways...besides he uses how much time giving his opinion and ranting anyways...give us something that we can compare to other games he's "reviewed" that we also liked

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
Fronzel said:
Try the Ace Combat series for good semi-realistic jet fighter games.

Warning: It's Japanese, so while there won't be any patriotism, there will be whining.
For all my fanboy love for Ace Combat, I'll admit that's the best description I've ever read of it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Howlingwolf214 said:
The thing I don't like about H.A.W.X is that it stands for High Altitiude Warfare eXperimental squadron. As acronyms go, that's pretty lame.
So HAWE would be more accurate, most likely pronounced as "whore".

Says everything I think.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I haven't played this game, but perhaps i´ll give it a try after this vid, i tend to like what Yahtzee likes anyway...

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Oh man, autopiloting to Halls of the Mountain King, now that really takes me back.

I'm not surprised Yahtzee liked HAWX. I saw a video of the gameplay and realized that it was a pretty fun game on first blush. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's good from a gameplay perspective (something that, if Derick Smart ever figured out, he'd become an international game design superstar overnight).

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
greygelgoog said:
Good review, but as Yahtzee said he doesn't play these types of games so there's nothing for him to compare it to. So if any of you have played both Ace Combat 6 and HAWX, and taking into account I already own Ace Combat, is HAWX worth my time? Is Ace Combat better? Is HAWX better? Or do they both have a unique charm and I should give HAWX a spin?
Good question, as H.A.W.X. has got more attention because of the Tom Clancy label.

HAWX does not compare to AC6 but it's not bad at all. The off-assist mode is an intriguing aspect. Also the controls are proper pitch, roll and yaw, which is a relief, as "novice" controls like those in Crimson Sky etc. drive me up the wall. (Make sure you switch them on in settings i.e. "expert"). So give it a go.

Having said that, in no way is HAWX the equal of AC6 in terms of graphics (plane models and landscape), handling (HAWX's is just not as realistic or responsive), music, sounds, story, playback theatre and especially re-playability. Trying to maximise your points in the vast AC6 missions requires careful planning, esp. on the harder modes, and e.g. "oh, the joy of discovering carpet bombing and the Air-Fuel Bomb" haha.

But yes, HAWX does have it's unique charm, it's defiantly worth playing. And it's great that it's managed to get more people into the fun of air-combat e.g. Yahtzee himself.

Btw, I can't agree with the dude who says that AC5 is better than AC6, I've played all the Ace Combat series and six is at least as good or even better. Now, if they would only do a sequel to Dropship... that would be fantastic.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
funny stuff.
Glad Yahtz liked it. I still have to finish some adversarial stuff..
As flight sims go,it's about even with ACE Combat 6.
However,HAWX has Co-Op the entire campaign..

but no Gracemeria..

LMAO

EDIT:
really the best,most viral flight sim game has to be Zero Wing..

WellyPWNS

Jan 17, 2009
mike1921 said:
WellyPWNS said:
What the hell first off all he makes Saints row 2 his game of the year last year now says tom clancy hawks is a good game don't think i can say any part of his review is serious any more
Saints row2 kicked ass.
wow u really do like bull shit dont you bet you also like this game

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
The games I always think Yahtzee are going to drown in Bile are always the ones he seems to enjoy. You are a snaeky one, Yahtzee.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
WellyPWNS said:
mike1921 said:
WellyPWNS said:
What the hell first off all he makes Saints row 2 his game of the year last year now says tom clancy hawks is a good game don't think i can say any part of his review is serious any more
Saints row2 kicked ass.
wow u really do like bull shit dont you bet you also like this game
Why is Saints Row 2 bullshit?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
US Crash Fire said:
i wonder if he would like Ace Combat 6 better?
Not a chance in hell. Dont get me wrong, I loves me my Ace Combat, but it's way too Japanese, especially for Yahtzee :)