Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider Anniversary

Sep 12, 2007
Yahzee, you charismatic stallion! Another fantastic installment. ZP has become to highlight of my weekly browsing.

Now... if only the two massive system hogging flash ads on the screen didn't lag the player -_-

Sep 12, 2007
Brilliant, Yahzee. This is quickly becoming the highlight of my week.

Though I really wish you guys would use an older version of Flash so I could view it on a console. Or, hell, a 3GP stream for iPhones.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Frapple said:
Anyone else have trouble with player, I'm missing out huge sections of the video while the sound continues.
We've just updated the player, not more than an hour ago. Fullscreen should be working, and you can get code to embed the video through the player itself. Hopefully this will help with the performance problems too - if not, please let Russ know at [email protected]

Doublecheck to see if you have the latest player showing first - it will have a 'Menu' button in the lower right. If not, you might have the old player cached. Refreshing a few times will usually grab the updated one.

the_pearson_person

Sep 6, 2007
Great as usual. And no problems with the player for me, all working fine! Good job!

For those on Facebook, there's now a Zero Punctuation Appreciation Society:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6725770567

I'll try and remind you when a new episode is out, so you can head over here and watch it :-D

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Hello Yahtzee,

I'm also one of the people who registered here to say how cool your animated reviews are. I love them - my personal favourites being Psychonauts and The Darkness. However, I'm also one of the people who feel you are a bit off when it comes to what you have said about Tomb Raider: Anniversary. Sorry for handing out critique on my first post, but this animation somehow doesn't feel as deep as your previous ones. It's still full of venom, so no complaints there :).

First off, shame on you for not living up to your solemn vow ;).

Second, I have no idea why you'd say jumping is off. Compared to the original, doing jumps and the like is a complete walk in the park. Even if you're off a bit, you can still "rescue" Lara by tapping some button, which stays on for a generous amount of time, long enough to start tapping unless you're in some sort of coma. (personally, I'd actually want the old Tomb Raider system back because as it's now the game has become far too easy, if only for the cheap checkpoint system which is prone to abuse, much like the Vita Chambers in Bioshock)

The weapons fire tapping is annoying, but then again combat is so ridiculously easy and much of a forgotten feature in Tomb Raider: Anniversary (controlled Parkour before anything!) that it doesn't matter anyway.

Finally, you started out great with a little history on how Tomb Raider started, how Core was changed into Crystal Dynamics, but then you jump right past Legend into Anniversary. Which is a bit of a pity, because it would have been a nice transition to Anniversary, where you can already see the first signs of Crystal Dynamic's changes, which forego exploration and an interesting main character in favour of linearity and ease of play. Oh well, not a biggie.

For the rest, keep it up, your animations are something many appreciate and look forward to. Kudos!

erock7101

Sep 12, 2007
For the love of all that is Ronnie James Dio's 'Holy Diver', please keep making these video reviews!!! I truly enjoy pissing and shitting myself over quality comedy!!!

UnaidedCoder

Aug 29, 2007
WOOOOOOOOOO love it! Do Metroid Prime 3 Corruption next, I been waiting for someone to use it for such comedic gold :D Please.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Amazing stuff once again. You've got quite a way with words, and the animations help, too.

Oh, and to everyone who keeps screaming "Review this! Review that!", please shut up. I'm willing to bet that Yahtzee's the one with a better idea of how to write reviews.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yes, it seems a few people have jumped to the defense of Tomb Raider. I was calling it how I saw it. It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain. Of course, I was playing the PS2 version, if that means anything.

Arcanum3000

Sep 13, 2007
Great review. I have to agree with most of Yahtzee's points, especially the camera issues. The problems may've existed in Legend, but they were much more tolerable because there was more than just the gameplay for entertainment in Legend. I was playing on the PC through GameTap, BTW.

Lim-Dul

Sep 13, 2007
Holy suppurating papercuts dipped in a spicy lemon extract!

I, too, felt the sudden urge to register and post this message.

Just leave Ben (I hope he doesn't mind me calling him by his real name :p) alone. Zero Punctuation isn't meant to be T3H UB3R game review all you fanboys are taking it for... It's just Ben expressing his personal opinion about a game in a hellishly funny manner. I for my part notoriously dislike things that most people like and the other way round. If you want "objective" and "unbiased" (have I committed a pleonasm? =) reviews then look for them on, hmmm, about a gazillion other pages... (Gotcha! These things don't exist. ;-)

The only sad thing about the reviews is the fact that I have to wait a full week for another one - and I really DO mean that I wait every second for them to appear on the site... One week waiting for a couple of minutes of entertainment, oh cruel world. What should I do? I already read everything I could find on Yahtzee's site - maybe I should play his games now... Are they funny? Just asking. ^^

P.S. Seems I'm not the only one with a bad case of breast fixation. I've even been talking to my girlfriend's *puppies* - to her (but not *their*) dismay of course . ;-)

jilas

Sep 5, 2007
realy realy realy GOOD!!!!!! keep up the good work. (even after i watch it 15 time i sill laught.)

JohnnyFirebird

Sep 13, 2007
Good work. Don't feel pressured by Internet crazies to only do reviews of bad games. I quite enjoyed your review of Psychonauts, which fortunately I had purchased a couple of years ago, thusly avoiding your ire. I still might download this remake, but yes, it does seem strange that the original Resident Evil was remade only six years after its initial release. And this one was ten years... you could call that impressive restraint. It's not new, of course - Sierra remade King's Quest in hi-res EGA, and then did terrible, terrible remakes of Space Quest, Hero's Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry in adventure ruining point and click. All of those were only 5-7 years after their original release. Most sequels are just remakes with slightly tweaked stories anyhow, so maybe a remake is more honest.

Feehl

Sep 12, 2007
If I ask you to slow down I'll get killed by dozens of angry people... so I won't I've palyed every game reviewed so far (except this one) and it's all true.(Even funnier this way)

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
Another "I agree with you 100%". What's up with these damn remakes lately??? It's like creativity has died a loooong time ago. :(