Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider Anniversary

Sep 12, 2007
dude i liked your other reviews more, i enjoyed the bioshock game but totally understand why the game was shallow thanks to you lol. problem i felt with this review is that the points you made aren't original and have been done better and funnier than you. you just remade old comments lol. not having a go (i think your better than angry nintendo nerd lol) its just that games like price of persia have shit camera shots and bad controlls too why not reveiw that. i love to see more but it has to be more original than the last one. BTW i love tomb raider but understand what you mean. list of games you may consider reveiwing:
-prince of persia
-resistance fall of man
- (just for a laugh) gears of war.
-red steel

so fellow assie, just hope you make more of your instent classics and i think these games are worth being reviewed by you.

p.s i also love boobs, hooters and mellons and great story ideas lol :)

Sep 13, 2007
Nice. I am glad someone is finally taking the piss out of lackluster games. Fuck you lady, ha ha that is classic stuff. I remember when this first came out and my friend who recommended it to me swore that is was like the original tomb raider but good. I later called to disparage his taste in games after I bought the ps2 version when he interrupted me mid-chastisement to ask if I purchased the pc version. I told him, I bought it on PS2 to which he replied, "well that's your first problem, right there."

Zoroastres

Sep 13, 2007
Wow, looks like this random Brit sure got popular fast. o__O

*ahem*

I, too, am a fan who is here solely for Yahtzee. I'd never heard of the place before. Ah well, it's all good.

I don't play Tomb Raider. I have no intention of every playing Tomb Raider. I could care less if his reviews are accurate or not--they're funny, and that's all that matters.

Keep up the good work, and lay off us American's. We insult ourselves more than enough these days. ~__~

Chinster

Sep 5, 2007
I don't understand all the people going to great lengths to disagree with the reviews. Surely they are missing the whole point of the things? It doesn't matter if you agree/disagree, the point is to have a laugh (which Yahtzee is providing in bucketfuls). Yes, he is deliberately exaggerating some things for comedy value, but that is what comedians do.

I don't know Yahtzee, but I'm convinced he doesn't intend for his reviews to be taken so seriously. Or maybe he does and it's time I jumped on his head for saying cruel things about my lovely Bioshock? ;)

Voni

Sep 13, 2007
Yes, I'm another one who's registered just so I can comment on how brilliant these reviews are.

Yahtzee, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I found myself screaming at the tv (especially in the lost island levels) because Lara WOULDN'T DO AS I TOLD HER TO! Argh! And this coming from me, a die hard TR fan for 11 years and counting.

Tarmanydyn

Jun 15, 2007
I dunno, I didn't think this one was that great. That may be because the Bioshock one blew me out of the water and I had some high expectations, oh well, maybe the next one will get me.

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Yes, it seems a few people have jumped to the defense of Tomb Raider. I was calling it how I saw it. It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain. Of course, I was playing the PS2 version, if that means anything.
I never played the PS2 build, but I wouldn't be surprised if was more buggy. I tested TR: Legend, and I remember the PS2 build for that got shipped with more bugs than its PC counterpart (oh and since you're such a big Psychonauts fan... you might like to know I was the Assisstant Lead Tester on that as well). So it wouldn't surprise me at all that the PS2 version of Anniversary was more worse for the wear.

That's unfortunate too, because as I stated above the PC build plays like a dream and the graphics (and sound design) really deliver as well.

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to what you review next week regardless of my opinion of this review.

Chinster said:
I don't understand all the people going to great lengths to disagree with the reviews. Surely they are missing the whole point of the things? It doesn't matter if you agree/disagree, the point is to have a laugh (which Yahtzee is providing in bucketfuls). Yes, he is deliberately exaggerating some things for comedy value, but that is what comedians do.

I don't know Yahtzee, but I'm convinced he doesn't intend for his reviews to be taken so seriously. Or maybe he does and it's time I jumped on his head for saying cruel things about my lovely Bioshock? ;)
Yes and they are hilarious, but in the past he has brought up some really great points that go beyond comedy, and into the "I'm actually serious about this you twats" mentality.

Which is excellent and great, but he has to expect people to call him on shit if he is making statements that they wholeheartedly disagree with right? It's not like these are reviews that no one is looking at (on the contrary... it seems as if his videos are getting popular incredibly fast, and for good reason). Also I haven't seen one post on here from someone acting like a fanboy. We are all bringing up perfectly valid points without being dicks about it.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Why does everyone see the need to repeat what ten million people said before them? WE GET IT ALREADY! These are awesome though and Croshaw is the the man, I just wish theyd put that original fable video up... that was the funniest ever. (yes, i only registered to comment on this video- they better be paying him big money)

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain.
Agreed. Also Stonking huge Tits.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Chinster said:

I don't look at Yahtzee's reviews to get an ultra-serious, objective scripture. That's pretty much clear from the onset. However, if you *are* going to make fun of a game and exaggerate some elements for comedy value, those elements should be actually present in the game so that the comedy takes place in the right context. Otherwise there's no point in calling the animation a "review of Game X" - it's still cool to watch, don't get me wrong there.

Personally, I played the PC version and experienced some extremely simplified, hand-holding jump mechanics - probably because the game touts a time trial mode after all and jumping a la Tomb Raider Original would make such trial a veritable nightmare. Usually, because it's so obvious where to go next, I would already do a jump before the camera had a chance to turn - as a result, I didn't experience a lot of camera issues. (then again, I have many, many years of experience with Resident Evil so I can pretty much navigate through any leap of faith/invisible enemies/difficult camera system without blinking an eye so my view on all this might be slightly biased)

The PlayStation 2 version might be quite different from the PC version, so if that's what causing the confusion, then okay.

Oh, and Johnnyfirebird reminded me: sometimes, remakes *can* be quite good. Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube was well done, really, with all-new puzzles and areas next to the graphical update. Anniversary is pretty as a picture, too, some puzzles have been reinvented and executed very well, but overall, it just feels too easy, too abusable, and the creature combat is worse than ever. It still was a very nice trip down memory lane, though.

Zadok13

Sep 6, 2007
Wow another wonderful review! I can't believe how defensive some of these posters are. I guess they kind of miss the whole point of the series. Either way, I am glad that I stumbled across this site because this is some of the funniest stuff I have seen in a long time.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Yes, it seems a few people have jumped to the defense of Tomb Raider. I was calling it how I saw it. It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain. Of course, I was playing the PS2 version, if that means anything.
Well, the "spastic jig" usually happens when close to an edge or standing on a very small surface like a pole or similar. Normally, you'd then get that almost everlasting flashing button I talked about to rebalance ms. Croft. If it happened in mid terrain or without the flashing button, that'd be a bug indeed. Cheers.

Lurchibald

Sep 12, 2007
as always you have come through with a great review that made me laugh till the end, im also a big fan of YTOTW it was (and still is) fantastic!

Jakebently

Aug 19, 2007
Easykill said:
Why does everyone see the need to repeat what ten million people said before them? WE GET IT ALREADY! These are awesome though and Croshaw is the the man, I just wish theyd put that original fable video up... that was the funniest ever. (yes, i only registered to comment on this video- they better be paying him big money)
I agree.

RibbonDye

Sep 10, 2007
I hate to bring this up, but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere else.. I seem to be having problems viewing the Zero Punctuation vids. In fact, everytime I go to the links, I see the text, but there isn't a vid in sight. The only way I've managed to even see most of them are on YouTube. Which, by the way isn't something I really want to be forced to do. Is there some kind of particular player I require for this webbie or something?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
You guys need to fix the video system(replace it with something that runs better) or mirror it on youtube.

Yahtzee Croshaw
Its called the but cam, its not new to 3rd person games >>

As for the game itself polish is something all pubs need to understand you do not release a wonky game if you do you are giving pirates all the reason they need not to buy the POS.

I got bioshock last week took me 4 days and 3 reinstalls (least the install tokens don't start to count unless I flush XP and reinstall it...which I plan to do in a month since tis acting funny, I so hope the damn thing is cracked by then so I don't have to worry about bricking my game) to get it running now that I have it running its a horrible port of a 360 game(mouse lag anyone?) theres lil options for trouble shooting theres lil options in the menu...my god what is this hollywood?