Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2014

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Top 5 Games of 2014

This week, Zero Punctuation takes a look at the top 5 best and worst games of 2014.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Haven started Alien: Isolation a few days ago as well as playing through Wolfenstein: The New Order I'm delighted to see them appear (on whatever list they happened to be on because spoilers).

I think I like the good interval thing best of all, the homage to that one particular Let's Drown Out was all the joy in the world I needed seeing as it never ceased to make me laugh.

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
Funny how the bottom 3 were all reboots or tie-ins, but I don't think anyone would be surprised by that. On the other hand, the top 3 were also tie-ins or reboots (I think, not sure about Wolfenstein), which is much more interesting.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
A worst 5 game list without COD? It's a mircle!

Actually yeah 2014 has be a low point for gaming in general with AAA games shooting themselves in the foot time and again:Looks at destiny:

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I'd cringe at the lack of Titanfall on the Top 5, but I think we can all agree that the lack of a singleplayer mode with a story more complicated than "war happens between military and militia" makes it a quadruple-amputee of a game. It's still attractive, but it just can't go on a walk on the beach with you.

For the record, I think I see a trend of me not really getting into 1 game in the ZP Top 5 per year. These games, in chronological order, are: Red Dead Redemption, inFamous 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Papers Please, and Dark Souls. My lack of fondness for them is mostly based on difficulty, except for inFamous 2 on account of lacking a PS3.

Oh, and...
Objectable said:
COME BACK SONIC GENERATIONS! I MISS YOU!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Jman1236 said:

Actually yeah 2014 has be a low point for gaming in general with AAA games shooting themselves in the foot time and again:Looks at destiny:
It wasn't an Infinity Ward CoD, they tend to be actually heart felt and bother trying unlike IW's last three efforts, and no Treyarch (and SHG) CoDs have showed up thus far.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Sonic Boom makes me so sad. And the TV Show is halfway fun, to!
The game is just... *sobs*
COME BACK SONIC GENERATIONS! I MISS YOU!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Jman1236 said:

I think COD has long ago joined the ranks of Madden, Legend of Zelda and Bioware plot structure in "well what the fuck did you expect?" They all have their thing, they all have their fans, and complaining about any of them is like complaining that McDonalds hamburgers don't have that home-cooked taste you crave.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
The only game I've played on this list was Thief, which makes a little bit of sense. That game came out pretty early in the year and it kind of made me not want to play games for a while.

At least there were games for a top 5 best, even if it all of them "won" by default because nothing that interesting really came out. I honestly though it was going to be a straight-up bottom 5 for this year, but I guess I can be surprised sometimes.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Called it!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.866393-Guess-Yahtzees-Top-5-Bottom-5-of-2014

I guessed all of his Top 5 games, though not in the correct order.

I missed 3/5 of his Worst 5, largely because he hadn't reviewed Sonic Boom then and had forgotten about Spidey/Sacred. What I'm reaaaaally surprised is how he completely ignored The Evil Within. He seemed downright offended in his review.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
If there's one thing I've learned from Yahtzee, it's the British words for all the parts of the male anatomy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Man, even when Dark Souls II is getting a reward it gets shit on.

Poor game. It just wants to love us...even if it wasn't as good as the first game.

Also on another note, Shadow of Mordor? Honestly didn't see that coming.

Theif? Really SHOULD have seen that coming.

Overall pretty funny video too. Not a huge fan of making jokes at the expense of fans, but at least some of them here made me laugh with how absurd they were.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I love it! Between this, Jim Sterling's list, and a bunch of others, the general consensus is 2014 was shit and we should all just forget about it.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
*Screams internally about Yahtzee shitting on Smash Bros*

*Speaks calmly despite internal screaming*
Aside from that, nothing on this list I really disagree with on an individual level (His shots at Final Fantasy/JRPG fans during the LR entry kinda grinds my gears a little, but hey, it's Yahtzee).

The "YES! ALL OF THIS! IN MY FACE!" part made laugh harder than I should've, but then again, most ZP videos usually have one moment like that.....

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
LordTerminal said:
You're biased against Nintendo and you don't like fighting games so why touch something you obviously aren't going to like other than to deliberately piss people off?
He liked Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario, EarthBound and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He's just biased against games that are bad and/or boring.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Dragonheart57 said:
Funny how the bottom 3 were all reboots or tie-ins, but I don't think anyone would be surprised by that. On the other hand, the top 3 were also tie-ins or reboots (I think, not sure about Wolfenstein), which is much more interesting.
Wolfenstein is technically a sequel to the previous couple of games. There's some characters that have shown up in previous ones, and events have been referenced.

And it's so bloody good.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I remember playing Dishonored after its release and thinking "this feels like a weak Thief Mod". Then I played the Thief reboot and thought "this feels like a weak Dishonored Mod". I pretty much quit right after the asylum level (which might as well have been called "Cribbing the Cradle" given the Thief: Deadly Shadows level it was obviously trying to invoke) because I had a feeling I'd just finished the best part the game had to offer.

Also, I'm surprised that Jack Bauer of Mordor got the top spot, but I suppose looking at the new things it brought to the table, it's an understandable choice.