Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2014

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
Arcane Azmadi said:
Both #1s surprised the hell out of me. Shadow of Morder #1? I was expecting Saints Row 4. And Thief the worst game? I'd just kind of forgotten that one and didn't remember Yahtzee heaping stealing piles of hatred-infused shit on it at the time (although that said, I'd better go back and rewatch that review now).
Umm, Saint's Row 4 came out in 2013.

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
Kallindril said:
I wouldn't necessarily agree Thief was the -worst- game of 2014 on the merits, but I would agree that to anyone who was a fan of the original series, it was the most disappointing.
I don't know about you, but this is just silly to call it a stealth game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PZbrYVlzzk

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
The White Hunter said:
Shooting Space Nazi's on the moon was a highlight of the year I must say.
Agreed. A game that you thought could not get any more absurd just went off the charts with the whole "Nazis on the moon" thing and I absolutely loved it to bits.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
truckspond said:
The White Hunter said:
Shooting Space Nazi's on the moon was a highlight of the year I must say.
Agreed. A game that you thought could not get any more absurd just went off the charts with the whole "Nazis on the moon" thing and I absolutely loved it to bits.
It also made me have heavy feels. Max Hass :'(

Also; the ending kinda sucked.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Holy pissed fanboys Batman! So many people angry about the bit on Smash Bros.

OT: Eh, kinda have to agree it wasn't that great of a year for games. Even the #1 spot he didn't really rave that much about in his review.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
President Bagel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
You're biased against Nintendo and you don't like fighting games so why touch something you obviously aren't going to like other than to deliberately piss people off?
He liked Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario, EarthBound and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He's just biased against games that are bad and/or boring.
And also Super Mario World and Metroid Prime. I've never bought into the misconception that he's biased against Nintendo, either. He just doesn't like it when game developers rely too much on nostalgia.
Also being nagged, and fanboys/girls. It's even in his original Brawl review. Of course, it'd be strange to expect people with opinions on his opinions on Nintendo games to actually know what his opinions are. It's almost as if they've said it sight unseen. As if they're *gasp* biased. (Not the same as knowing you wouldn't like the latest Smash Bros sight unseen. Don't even try Nintendo)

He isn't biased against Nintendo. He just dislikes most of their stuff, and in particular, their fans. Unless you really believe he's sitting there, enjoying the game, and then goes, "No. This will not do. Can't enjoy a Nintendo game." and proceeds to brain himself with a Wiimote. 0/10, game is horrible. That'll teach Nintendo for whatever it is people think he has against them.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
step1999 said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
Both #1s surprised the hell out of me. Shadow of Morder #1? I was expecting Saints Row 4. And Thief the worst game? I'd just kind of forgotten that one and didn't remember Yahtzee heaping stealing piles of hatred-infused shit on it at the time (although that said, I'd better go back and rewatch that review now).
Christ, you're right; and now that I think about it, Yahtzee named it his 3rd best game LAST year. I guess for some reason I was still under the impression that it was a RECENT game. Maybe the Steam release threw me off?

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Nice list.

Alien Isolation is on my list. Glad I picked up Shadow of Mordor on the Steam sale just now, but I'm even happier I avoided the Thief game, having been a very big fan of the first two games.

Lovely.

And now to wait for 37 GB of data to download. Oh Mordor-team, why hast thou forsaken your compression skills ? Probably to pay for the blow on the strippers tits at the "we've made a GOOD game in this year 2014 of our spaghetti lord" party.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Ah yes FF13 the game that turned me from rabid Final Fantasy fan boy to I can't be bothered with this anymore.

Yahtzee did the right thing giving up after 5 hours I played for longer and gave up. The plot was rubbish the characters were dull.

Seriously since the FFX every game feels like a step backwards. The plot and world feels more limited in scope. In contrast mainstream western RPGS like Skyrim and Dragon Age feel grander in scope.

FF is dying franchise lost in its own stagnation.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
As a big fan of the original thief games, yes I liked deadly shadows, it's kind of sad that I forgot that the Thief reboot was released this year.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
Arcane Azmadi said:
step1999 said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
Christ, you're right; and now that I think about it, Yahtzee named it his 3rd best game LAST year. I guess for some reason I was still under the impression that it was a RECENT game. Maybe the Steam release threw me off?
It was released on steam the same day as retail (unless you're thinking of the Game of the Century edition).

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Anyone else surprised that Evil Within didn't make the bottom five considering how much bile he spewed at it in the review?

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Llarys said:
Oh come on guys. We all know he hates Smash Bros. It's old hat by now.

1) Multiplayer is the focus
2) Weak/no story
3) It's an IP-fap game
4) Yahtzee doesn't strike me as a fighting game type of guy, even if it rivaled The Holy Bible in story length.

What I really don't understand is why people want the guy to review games that THEY like, hoping to hear him praise their favorite game, earning smug-points, when it is basically his job to snub his nose at everything and anything. It would be my dream to have the man take a look through my library of favorites just to call it shit and explain in a detailed, eloquent manner why my taste is so shit. After all, it's what we've all come here for, is it not?

As for the growing bitterness over the JRPG issue I've noticed, all I want to say is that the story can take far longer than 4-5 hours to really kick in and develop, yes, but you should be able to get a feel for the game's mechanics within a couple of hours. My favorite example (and a game I would like Yahtzee to rip apart [read above]) is Xenoblade Chronicles. The story is as slow, convoluted, and takes a while to build up pace - all par for JRPGs. What it does better, however, is have what we in the literary world call a hook, something that a lot of JRPGs lack these days. The game sets itself up with the amazing intro, sets you off on your adventure, where you can tinker about the starting town for hours (if you would like to), but can easily begin the real story as quickly as you like. And as soon as you do, things get intense, fast. It's got a fast, great hook that gets you invested in the story, right at the beginning, available within 2 hours, or up to 5 hours if you decide to go side-quest crazy, not after you've been playing for 10, 15 hours. Also, the gameplay is a most more interesting to me than other JRPGs out there, but that's another can of worms.
Maybe he would like it better if it had frontal nudity for Lightning. I mean it worked for Thief with that brothel level...actually now when you think about it, Western Gaming nowadays is less hesistant on nudity than Japan.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
Oh christ, he mentioned SSB...

Speaking as someone who loved SSB of the N64.
And speaking as someone who loved SSB:M on the GameCube.
And speaking as someone who would probably play the newer SSB games if I cared to own any new Nintendo consoles, can someone explain to me why it seems that so many fans seem to have skin so thin it's practically transparent?

Every fanbase has those who get unnecessarily offended when people criticise it, but it just seems an alarming number of SSB fans go into a full on pissing and moaning meltdown the second anyone dares to dislike it.
I've always thought it was due to a combination of the sunk cost fallacy and a bit of defensiveness regarding Nintendo in general being seen as childish. When you've invested so much time and money on something and people disparage it for any reason, the urge to try and prove that the negative reaction is baseless or flawed rather than even vaguely accurate, as well as proving that you're not just doing something that's 'only for kids,' can easily outstrip any incliation for patience, rationality, or polite behavior.

You see this with video games often enough here, but it can easily show up with fans of animation or comic books as well.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
I've been watching Zero Punctuation since it was on youtube and that thing with the comfort zone and the granny was literally the only time I've ever done a double take while watching. Seriously, out of freaking nowhere.
That said: Was 2007 really that great a year? I'm not saying it wasn't, I'm just wondering what other people remember from that time.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
josh4president said:
Anyone else surprised that Evil Within didn't make the bottom five considering how much bile he spewed at it in the review?
That was kind of surprising; he sounded pissed as HELL in that review, as though he was going to try to find a way to teleport to Bethesda and shove the disc up someone's urethra.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Silvershock said:
Why did I know in advance that this thread would be 50% Nintendo fanboys complaining about Smash? You guys really need to get over two things:

1) Not everyone likes Smash. That is actually a thing that is possible, rather than "t3h bi45" against the corporation you've decided to attach your self-worth to.
2) Even if he had adored the game, it couldn't go on the list because he didn't review it.

Like children somtimes - predictable, irritating children.
I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to call out Yahtzee on his moronic behavior. For an (supposedly) adult, that childish taunt is nothing but moronic behavior. If you behave like that, you deserve everything you get. Being famous on the internet isn't a get out of jail for free card when you insult a bunch of people. With the number of people he keeps insulting on a weekly basis, Yahtzee deserves more hate than GG and anti-GG combined.

Also please learn to math. 5 people in a 3 page thread is hardly 50%. It's hardly even 10%. For a game that has such an overwhelmingly positive rating from reviewers and user, the amount of people talking in this thread is actually extremely low.

android19

Nov 6, 2014
Scorpid said:
Jman1236 said:
A worst 5 game list without COD? It's a mircle!

Actually yeah 2014 has be a low point for gaming in general with AAA games shooting themselves in the foot time and again:Looks at destiny:
Well I'm not surprised. CoD is just white noise, its the highest mark in the bell curve, if CoD had a name it would be James Smith and he'd live in a large metropolitan city and have 2.5 kids. Its not interesting to anyone worth a damn in Games criticism besides clickbait for the review or perhaps Devs wanting to see the secret of how to get their own steady IV drip of money. BUT its not bad, just very well polished to its slightly blemished dull beige.
Plus CoD this year actually wasn't terrible. It isn't much to say "it's the best CoD in years" but there was some actual goodness happenning. Not enough to elevate it to a top list, but enough to keep it out of the bottom.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Hmm, completely forgot Shovel Knight was released this year. Definitely my GOTY. I really liked new Wolfenstein too and I generally don't like FPS games. Still have to play Shadow of Mordor. Didn't like Alien Isolation. Doing a simple sentry out of an Alien is a travesty if you ask me. Sure it isn't a scripted sentry but still a sentry nonetheless. DS2 I didn't play because voices are telling me it's worse than DS. Maybe I'll pick it up for PS4 when it comes out if they fix performance issues.

As for bad games. I called Thief being the worst game of 2014 when I heard it was going to be released in 2014.