Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2014

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Oh yes, "comfort zone" a phrase most used by people who's real meaning is "I'm going to push you around and if you complain its just you not wanting to go out of your comfort zone"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1s0RwN5iw

The "worst" sound effect reminded me of the line from Landline "the fruit, which is delivered as slurry in a box"
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2014/s4109947.htm

It is easier for me to just watch people play games on Youtube these days, no actually having to buy the game, no waiting for patches and installs and they play all the best bits.

One of my favourite Youtube players is playing a mod for a 3 year old game on "Impossible", something which even the developers advise not to do
https://www.youtube.com/user/Beaglerush

The Twitch campaign for this player is also an "event" and there were a load of viewers hanging around like sad puppies after the mega hailstorm in Brisbane lost power for three days and there was no stream.

I am still enjoying the Shacktac videos and watching multiple versions of the same mission, the main dude has even started taking real life helicopter flight lessons
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi

I purchased the triple pack of Bioshock/XCOM/Borderlands and still have not played all the games, too much stuff to do.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
President Bagel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
You're biased against Nintendo and you don't like fighting games so why touch something you obviously aren't going to like other than to deliberately piss people off?
He liked Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario, EarthBound and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He's just biased against games that are bad and/or boring.
And also Super Mario World and Metroid Prime. I've never bought into the misconception that he's biased against Nintendo, either. He just doesn't like it when game developers rely too much on nostalgia.
Exactly. He's also not a fan of "holding pattern" games and excessive gimmickry. Whenever he complains about controller gimmickry he's always quick to remind his point of reference for a "perfect" controller is the GameCube's.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
erttheking said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
erttheking said:
Also on another note, Shadow of Mordor? Honestly didn't see that coming.
Didn't you watch his review? He loved it.
Yeah but there's a difference between loving it and loving it more than anything else that came out this year. I thought Alien Isolation would've taken that prize.
Me too. He praised just about everything in Alien Isolation, whereas the one thing that caught his eye about Shadow of Mordor was the Nemesis System. I would've sworn it would be 1) Alien, 2) Mordor, 3) Wolfenstein or Shovel Knight, etc.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
President Bagel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
You're biased against Nintendo and you don't like fighting games so why touch something you obviously aren't going to like other than to deliberately piss people off?
He liked Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario, EarthBound and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He's just biased against games that are bad and/or boring.
And also Super Mario World and Metroid Prime. I've never bought into the misconception that he's biased against Nintendo, either. He just doesn't like it when game developers rely too much on nostalgia.
Exactly. He's also not a fan of "holding pattern" games and excessive gimmickry. Whenever he complains about controller gimmickry he's always quick to remind his point of reference for a "perfect" controller is the GameCube's.
The fact that he wants Nintendo to go third party is proof enough for me to assume that he doesn't respect Nintendo, no matter what he tells us about his feelings regarding the company's stance towards actual gaming. He likes 6 Nintendo games. He doesn't like Nintendo, he liked 6 games that they released. It's like if a guy said that he likes video games but only played a certain series. He doesn't like video games, he just likes that series of video games.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Guys. Yahtzee doesn't like multiplayer only games. Get. Over. It.

And yes, Final Fantasy 13-3 absolutely belongs on the bottom 5 list.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ryallen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
President Bagel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
The fact that he wants Nintendo to go third party is proof enough for me to assume that he doesn't respect Nintendo,
Why? Their best games are third party these days. Like Bayonetta and ZombiU. What's wrong with having more third party games on their side?

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ryallen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
President Bagel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
The fact that he wants Nintendo to go third party is proof enough for me to assume that he doesn't respect Nintendo,
Why? Their best games are third party these days. Like Bayonetta and ZombiU. What's wrong with having more third party games on their side?
Not that he wants Nintendo to have more third party games. That would only do good things for the Wii U, and frankly, I'm in support of it. What I mean is that he said in one of his blog posts that he thinks that Nintendo should abandon the Wii U, the 3DS, and all future plans for consoles, and release ports on Steam. Doing so would only hurt Nintendo, as part of their identity is making games for THEIR consoles. Going third party and making PC games would just make Nintendo another PC gaming company, and severely limit what they make. This post was made a year ago, in 2013, I think, but it's not as if his opinion of Nintendo has increased, what with him still bashing Nintendo and a good portion of their fanbase, if not its entirety. Without even giving any sort of idea what he wants them to do, besides just move to PC games only.

EDIT:Not to mention I think that PC gaming isn't popular in Japan anyways.

EDIT:Here's the link to the article:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/11018-What-Has-Nintendo-Done-Right-Lately

As it turns out it was written in February of 2014.

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ryallen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
President Bagel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
Ryallen is talking about Nintendo ceasing console production and just developing games for other consoles.

Edit: Beaten to it, just ignore this comment :)

OT: I was looking forward to Yahtzee further ripping into Thief, Lightning Returns, and Sonic Boom. I was not disappointed.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Ryallen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ryallen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
President Bagel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:

Not that he wants Nintendo to have more third party games. That would only do good things for the Wii U, and frankly, I'm in support of it. What I mean is that he said in one of his blog posts that he thinks that Nintendo should abandon the Wii U, the 3DS, and all future plans for consoles, and release ports on Steam. Doing so would only hurt Nintendo, as part of their identity is making games for THEIR consoles. Going third party and making PC games would just make Nintendo another PC gaming company, and severely limit what they make. This post was made a year ago, in 2013, I think, but it's not as if his opinion of Nintendo has increased, what with him still bashing Nintendo and a good portion of their fanbase, if not its entirety. Without even giving any sort of idea what he wants them to do, besides just move to PC games only.

EDIT:Not to mention I think that PC gaming isn't popular in Japan anyways.

EDIT:Here's the link to the article:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/11018-What-Has-Nintendo-Done-Right-Lately

As it turns out it was written in February of 2014.
I agree, while I do love Bayonetta (which reminds me, I need to get the 2nd one) and making some of their games 3rd party might be good, however going completely 3rd party and moving to the PC would be a terrible idea, especially considering how much of a train wreck Steam has become recently. There are many reasons why 2014 was a bad year for games and Steam is one of those reasons.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
cojo965 said:
Lightknight said:
The way the top and bottom games were portrayed was perhaps the most confusing way Yahtzee has displayed them. I would have preferred to see them all at one time in relation to one another. This video in general was a bit on the confusion side but I suppose he was just fitting it all into one spot.

I've got to watch it a second time to be sure of what I saw or missed.

EDIT: Ok, after watching it a second time I guess that makes sense. You top-hatted beautiful bastard, you. Haha.
I've watched it several times now and I'm still confused, what is it?
You have to pay fairly close attention to which slope of the circle they're on. If they're on the upwards slope then they're part of the top five, if they're on the downwards slope then they're part of the bottom games.

Sound effects also somewhat help. Certainly the most confusing of his annual awards videos I've seen.

But I can't honestly say that this year deserved the same kind of attention previous ones have.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
cojo965 said:
Lightknight said:
The way the top and bottom games were portrayed was perhaps the most confusing way Yahtzee has displayed them. I would have preferred to see them all at one time in relation to one another. This video in general was a bit on the confusion side but I suppose he was just fitting it all into one spot.

I've got to watch it a second time to be sure of what I saw or missed.

EDIT: Ok, after watching it a second time I guess that makes sense. You top-hatted beautiful bastard, you. Haha.
I've watched it several times now and I'm still confused, what is it?
You have to pay fairly close attention to which slope of the circle they're on. If they're on the upwards slope then they're part of the top five, if they're on the downwards slope then they're part of the bottom games.

Sound effects also somewhat help. Certainly the most confusing of his annual awards videos I've seen.

But I can't honestly say that this year deserved the same kind of attention previous ones have.
One would think that the general tone when talking about games should lend a clue as to whether Yahtzee enjoyed it or not...

I agree that Yahtzee is being unfair on Super Smash Bros. Personally I think it embodies the beauty of easy to learn, difficult to master and while I've personally played them on and off since N64's iteration (though I didn't own a Gamecube and only play Wii/U occasionally) I don't really go in for the whole nostalgia schtick yet still enjoy the games...similarly I don't enjoy mash ups* on the basis of them being mash ups but the game is very playable.
As for Yahtzee not liking multiplayer games...well, Smash has got a single player and I play it a lot, it's fun because again, easy to learn, difficult to master. I like me some challenge and Smash can deliver on that.

Granted I kinda hate the competitive scene in Smash Bros. but that's a pretty small complaint...

As for the rest, yeah I agree. I haven't actually played SoM but seen a lot of gameplay from friends. DS2 I freaking love and maintain it is better than Dark Souls, just not wowing me better (I compare it to a slightly worse equivalent of TS2 -> TS:FP, Future Perfect was great but it seemed to be lacking a little here and there. DS2 is similar but even more so).

*beyond the potential for clever/interesting writing or interactions between universes, powers and characters which Smash Bros doesn't really deliver outside of amusing pictures.

krebons12

Jun 23, 2014
I shouted in glee when I saw Shovel Knight on the best list. Then I got some weird looks and was asked to leave the library.

I will never know how much nostalgia the game actually worked off of, but I will know it is the most solid and fairly difficult game I've ever played. At least until my laptop will start to run Dark Souls

red255

Apr 22, 2014
...There was nothing on your list on either side I was particularly desired to play.

According to the ad on steam Wasteland 2 won some game of the year 2014. why didn't you mention it? I'm having fun playing it. not thinking I'd have much fun playing your numbers 1-3...

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
red255 said:
...There was nothing on your list on either side I was particularly desired to play.

According to the ad on steam Wasteland 2 won some game of the year 2014. why didn't you mention it? I'm having fun playing it. not thinking I'd have much fun playing your numbers 1-3...
Do you know how many game of the year awards exist in this world?

Portal won like, 8 when it came out. Winning a game of the year award doesn't automatically make you the biggest talking point of the everything.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Conner42 said:
At least there were games for a top 5 best, even if it all of them "won" by default because nothing that interesting really came out. I honestly though it was going to be a straight-up bottom 5 for this year, but I guess I can be surprised sometimes.
That's the sad thing, none of these games won because they were awesome and must plays but because they didn't fuck up or do what the rest did, rather bad year even if I think a few were hated more than deserving.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Aiddon said:
And what's funny is Nintendo clearly had the most interesting software this year between stuff like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., etc while the newfangled "next-gen" consoles with their shiny new IPs floundered for one reason or another. It just goes to show that a lot of the time the young upstarts are just that: upstarts who are second bananas for a reason. Often it's the old masters who bring things forward, proving why they're in charge and the upstarts should stick to serving coffee for awhile.
I wouldn't call Nintendo's the most interesting, yeah Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors looks nice and I will get a Wii U for them eventually but the other's don't look interesting at all, just HD reskins of older (if good) games. No different than what CoD etc do.

red255

Apr 22, 2014
(whitty name here) said:
Do you know how many game of the year awards exist in this world?

Portal won like, 8 when it came out. Winning a game of the year award doesn't automatically make you the biggest talking point of the everything.
Um...ok.

Meant it came out in 2014 and wasn't s***. like the rest of yatchzee's list. which well, all of it was.

Shovel Knight ...was ironically retro. which is for hipsters. Dark souls 2 is for consolers, and both were shamed by being worse than the top 3 which I can't even remember a day later.

He might as well have put the Final Fantasy in his top 5. for how terrible his list was. I mean he did have a final fantasy game IN his top ten list which is required in any terrible top list to have at least one final fantasy game.

Point was the list would imply that nothing worthwhile came out this year whatsoever.

and he seemed angry about it. and I was just suggesting maybe its because he's playing bad games, not that the games are bad, but did Australia not get Wasteland 2?