Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2015

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Part of me is wondering that if Yahtzee was going to review Undertale anyways, why didn't he review it the week before Christmas?
The other part is glad that he upheld the tradition of reviewing a Wii U game he doesn't like when the "you better be done with Christmas shopping by now" season begins (exception being ZombiU, but I feel it's the starting point in a downward trend).

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
When Yahtzee decided to add Undertale as a surprise candidate, I knew it was going to be his #1 right off the bat.

Xman490 said:
Part of me is wondering that if Yahtzee was going to review Undertale anyways, why didn't he review it the week before Christmas?
The other part is glad that he upheld the tradition of reviewing a Wii U game he doesn't like (exception being ZombiU, but I feel it's the starting point in a downward trend).
He said that it's a game that should be played blindly so you can get the most out of it.
Doing a review would be doing the game and its message a disservice.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
This is the first time that my personal favorite game of any given year matched up with Yahtzee's, but I guess Undertale is just that fucking good, isn't it?

Yes. Yes, it is.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Great list!
Called out every Best 5 winner :p
I would've thought The Order was a candidate for #1 Bland rather than #1 Bad though. And that Nintendo would feature prominently in the Bland list, as opposed to "nowhere at all".

E100

Sep 19, 2015
I laughed so hard in the beginning that everyone rushed into my room to see what's so funny.
And went back, muttering "It's games again".
This was amazing!

And the bland games list is an excellent addition.

HaywirePoet

Mar 17, 2015
Damn, wasn't that a low year. Yahtzee had to make a second list for games he didn't like. Quite the rocky year for the worst list though, It's pathetic how the games with the largest funds and the most expensive talent (not necessarily the best talent) can turn into such boring or just poorly designed slop that overshadows all the games made with actual passion coming from human beings.

Damn this is depressing.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Great list!
Called out every Best 5 winner :p
I would've thought The Order was a candidate for #1 Bland rather than #1 Bad though. And that Nintendo would feature prominently in the Bland list, as opposed to "nowhere at all".
Nintendo have developed a system to have just enough wit and invention to avoid being the blandest, but not enough to be notable.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
HaywirePoet said:
Damn, wasn't that a low year. Yahtzee had to make a second list for games he didn't like. Quite the rocky year for the worst list though, It's pathetic how the games with the largest funds and the most expensive talent (not necessarily the best talent) can turn into such boring or just poorly designed slop that overshadows all the games made with actual passion coming from human beings.

Damn this is depressing.
Wow! I mean i have doubleposted myself before, but that sh** is truly impressive!
And i personally thought this was one of the best years for games. Witcher 3, Undertale all great games. There were always more sh**ty games that yathzee could put on any of his worst games list, that he did it this year just shows how tired he has gotten form bland games, not how much the quality of the game dropped.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm not sure I would have put Undertale at #1. Granted the fans could give Trekkies a run for their money in terms of rabid obsession, but its a very polarizing game. You either thought it was the 2nd coming of Firefly, or another season of Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo.
Personally I don't get it. Not saying its bad, it just doesn't hit any of my buttons and indeed probably flips a few switches to 'off'.

Just seems to me the #1 shouldn't be controversial, or at least should be a game that is universally loved. Amongst my group of friends, I honestly would say its a pretty tight 50/50 split over who thinks Undertale is worth playing or not.

But then again, I thought Ori and Blind Forest was amazing and it didn't even make any of the lists, so what do I know?!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dannyjw said:
I tried the demo for undertale and can only assume i didn't "get it".
Same. No idea why its so praised. Not saying its bad. But like Darkest Dungeon and Borderlands, I just don't get it.

Apr 17, 2009
HaywirePoet seems to be stuck on a loop, someone give him a kick to get him going again.

I approve of the addition of a third list. Makes sense to have a different category for games that make you go "eh" and games that make you go "eugh", if only because it means the truly bad games can't hide as much anymore

RisenStorm

Jan 6, 2016
Half the reason I didn't like Undertale was in fact because of the bullet hell combat.

I guess the problem is that I'm a massive fan of bullet hell shoot-em-ups.

Thus, I'm used to a way higher difficulty level, and Undertale I found to be a joke by comparison.

When your gameplay doesn't interest me, it's going to take an enthralling story to keep me playing. Undertale just didn't do it for me in that regard.

And I guess its rabid fanbase didn't help.

HaywirePoet

Mar 17, 2015
Amaror said:
HaywirePoet said:

Damn this is depressing.
Wow! I mean i have doubleposted myself before, but that sh** is truly impressive!
And i personally thought this was one of the best years for games. Witcher 3, Undertale all great games. There were always more sh**ty games that yathzee could put on any of his worst games list, that he did it this year just shows how tired he has gotten form bland games, not how much the quality of the game dropped.
Aww crap, that must be some kind of bug, I'm posting on mobile.
While I agree that there was plenty of good games, way more than last year, you have to admit the shit far outweighs the good, and it feels like even more AAA games are becoming blander, more poorly designed, and overall more of a flop.

Quite sorry about posting so many times, I only pressed post one time.
Really sorry about the spam.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Solid list. Although Order: 1886 came as a surprise since it was bland enough for me to have already forgotten its existence by now.

Might also be because I played it for 2 hours (since I got it in a bundle with my PS4) before flogging it for 20 bucks and switching over to Bloodborne instead.

HaywirePoet said:

Damn this hobby is depressing.
Ladies and gentlemen, a rare example of the mythical duodecuple post in the wild. Gaze upon it swiftly but softly, lest we scare it away and have it get consumed by the majestic Moderator, its natural predator.

HaywirePoet

Mar 17, 2015
jurnag12 said:
Solid list. Although Order: 1886 came as a surprise since it was bland enough for me to have already forgotten its existence by now.

Might also be because I played it for 2 hours (since I got it in a bundle with my PS4) before flogging it for 20 bucks and switching over to Bloodborne instead.

HaywirePoet said:

Damn this hobby is depressing.
Ladies and gentlemen, a rare example of the mythical duodecuple post in the wild. Gaze upon it swiftly but softly, lest we scare it away and have it get consumed by the majestic Moderator, its natural predator.
Haha, nice one dude, seriously sorry about that spam, must be a bug though. I'm posting from my phone.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Silentpony said:
Just seems to me the #1 shouldn't be controversial, or at least should be a game that is universally loved. Amongst my group of friends, I honestly would say its a pretty tight 50/50 split over who thinks Undertale is worth playing or not.
On a personal list (or when you're Yahtzee and just don't give a crap about other people) there's no need to look for "consensus" or anything like that.