Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wickerton said:
Casual Shinji said:
Carnagath said:
That was quite a forced bashing, and felt like it too. Yeah, it's a pop corn game in the same sense that Aliens is a pop corn action movie, but they are both classics in their own field. This game is the most fun ride I've had with an action game since...well, I can't even remember, and it does deserve all the praise it's getting in my opinion.
Apparently it doesn't matter if you enjoy the game.

Mr. Reviewer has spoken and his herd of blind followers hoot and squeek in agreement.
OR... the "herd" actually agrees. I know I do. Good game (it deserves its praise), but it has its flaws like any other title. Mr. Reviewer says just that, but in a louder and more entertaining fashion.

Ultimately, ANYTHING can get picked apart if you just try.
I haven't actually seen the review, because for some strange reason I can't play the videos on this site anymore.

If Mr. Reviewer (I can't say his name, I just can't. I'm sorry, it's a childhood thing.) doesn't like the game then he doesn't like the game. But I get a little annoyed when his grotesque fanbase crawls out of the woodwork and starts chanting: ZP says it's baaaaaaaaad, so it's baaaaaaaaad. For me Zero Punctuation is slowly becoming "one of those things ruined by the fans".

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
The one thing i will say is how did he not see what he was to jump to? He gives out to gamers for being stupid and needing neon flashing lights telling them what to do, then when he gets a game that does it subtly he says that it isn't obvious enough for him.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Two words : Perfect Review!

Finally someone who has the balls to say the truth and realize that this game might be good but it really doesn't bring anything new so it certainly doesn't deserve perfect scores and 99s out of 100.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Uncharted 2 is not that great of a game. sure one was ok but 2 really I agrea 1 was nothing worth making 2. Then again Uncharted 2 is a nice feeler episode while we wait for austrial to get Torchlight, borderlands, Dragon Age and MW2. I do not expect Yahtzee to give Dragon age a good review. Lol it way over his head. Damn great game just to complex for the simple gamers AKA Yahtzee.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
wyldefire said:
Hmm, I think Yahtzee's scorn is undercut somewhat by him admitting last week that he actually enjoyed the game. He did bring the bile though that's for sure.

Also haha at all the people who are going to pass up on this game because of what Yahtzee says. Why don't you roll over so he can stomp on the other side of your face. (Longtime viewers will get this statement.)

That's the problem. He brought a bit TOO MUCH of the bile. He may have enjoyed the game and he may think it's good. But he poured so much bile that it's hard to tell. Sure pouring bile is generally what he does, but I think that the amount this particular time around was excessive even for him. I get the impression that while Yahtzee may have enjoyed the game he may very well be embarrassed by, or possibly ashamed of, the fact that he enjoyed it.

And with regard to all the people who CLAIM they are going to pass up on this game because of what Yahtzee says. I'd say that most, if not all of them, were probably not going to get it anyway. This in turn is possibly due to Xbox fan status.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Acidwell said:
The one thing i will say is how did he not see what he was to jump to? He gives out to gamers for being stupid and needing neon flashing lights telling them what to do, then when he gets a game that does it subtly he says that it isn't obvious enough for him.
The answer is that Yahtzee is a hypocrite... sort of... maybe it's more like he has an extremely short memory. He doesn't have a LOT of consistency between reviews and something that is BAD in one game might be GOOD in another, or might go unnoticed all together. But that doesn't really matter, half of us will love the fact that he insulted something popular, the other half will be annoyed that he insulted something we liked. I've fallen on both sides on multiple occasions.

gd01Skorpius

Nov 11, 2009
Totally unfair review.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "fanboy" and I really enjoy Zero Punctuation, in fact I look forward to every Wednesday BECAUSE of these reviews! I generally agree with Yatzee's assessment of the games he reviews, but when I saw this one I had to say something because I think it is a really good game and I think this review is way off base.
The only thing I DO agree with is the wall climbing puzzles. Very annoying and time consuming. I thought it looked dumb throwing myself against walls when it looked like I should be able to climb but couldn't. It would have been better if you just couldn't jump against walls that you could not climb, and have Nathan look to where he should be climbing. I generally don't like tedious environment puzzles, and this game has it's share, but not enough to significantly sour my overall experience.
However, the rest of this review is totally absurd, and not in the usual funny way.
>Bad story? False. I enjoyed every minute of it. Great characters, great action, etc.
>Racist? What the hell? With all due respect Yahtzee, that's a totally unfounded statement. When in the game did you hear Drake say "Oh good, more darkies to kill!"? When did the game instruct you to kill anyone who is not white? The game take place in a foriegn countries, and some of the people in those countries are bad people who are trying to kill you or are in your way. The fact that they are a different color is a side effect of location. Race is a total non-issue in this game. "Defenceless Mercenaries"? That doesn't even make any sense. You might as well judge every game as being about a (color)guy who runs around killing poor defensless(color)people... who have guns.
>Nathan Drake Character: Very likeable. Maybe he resembles a mortal enemy in the reviewer's real life?
Some comment about the eyes: The whites of the eyes were a bit too dark, but not a big deal.

I am also VERY critical of games, but I really liked this one. It does have its flaws, but there is so much more good than bad here.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
That one was seriously epic.

edit: also yahtzee you seriously need to update your blog more often.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
I'm sorry, but really? You actually didn't like Uncharted, or the sequel? I call shenanigans. Either you are now just giving great games bad reviews because its your shtick, or you actually have no taste.

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
Uncharted 2 is fun. But not particularly compelling, except for the multiplayer, if you're into it, or if you like campy indiana jones movies.
I'd like to see Yahtzee review Demon's Souls. For some reason, I can't even imagine what he'd think or say about it...well....that's not entirely true.
But I'm just curious, if only because it's my favorite game ever right now.
*sigh* it'll probably never happen. not mainstream enough.
but he should really consider it, if only because it's different from anything else on the market.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Acidwell said:
The answer is that Yahtzee is a hypocrite... sort of... maybe it's more like he has an extremely short memory. He doesn't have a LOT of consistency between reviews and something that is BAD in one game might be GOOD in another, or might go unnoticed all together. But that doesn't really matter, half of us will love the fact that he insulted something popular, the other half will be annoyed that he insulted something we liked. I've fallen on both sides on multiple occasions.
Yeah i know he is hypocritical for comedic effect and most of the time i would just take it as that but i honestly think in the case of uncharted he does have a problem with it but thats just my interpretation of it

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
haruvister said:
Let's face it, Yahtzee's right about Uncharted 2 - it's awful pretty but awful average. People might say they don't take Yahtzee's reviews seriously, but I fancy they're just being a wee bit precious.
Or perhaps they acknowledge him as a comedian first, and reviewer second?

There's nothing precious about it. Any man that hates just about everything will have a hard time being taken seriously by anyone.
[sub]And I'm not saying I don't like Yahtzee. I'm saying that he makes his reviews funny, and therefore, tries to focus on the negatives of a game. He said it himself in his BioShock review.[/sub]

As for me: I really liked Uncharted 2. It didn't really bring anything new to the table, but name me a game from the past 3 years that has.
Demon's Souls!!! Demon's Souls!!! For the love of all your failed gods, Demon's Souls!!!

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Wall. Huh. Good God, y'all.

I think the Tomb Raider Uncharted franchise goes to prove your theory about us all playing Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure. I'll just sign myself up for the offworld slavery now.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Good review. I don't have a PS3 myself, so the only time I've played this was at a friend's house for about an hour. It's definitely intriguing, but he's dead on about the wall bit.

I truly hope that little flash of DA:O at the end means he'll be reviewing it next. I know he'll probably go on about the wordiness of it much the same he did with Mass Effect, but I'm curious to see what he makes of the combat system.

Mentalist

Sep 15, 2009
Why is everyone so eager for Dragon Age? You know that Yahtzee is just going to tear the hell out of it, and there will be an avalanche of angry comments. It's just... predictable.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
I was kind of hoping he'd make a note of the sheer amount of homoerotic jokes this game makes in the first few hours. Alas, nobody found it as creepy as I did. :(

Wonderful. I didn't expect much more than what I got out of this review.

And, hey, the one thing Uncharted has over (recent) Tomb Raider and (the recent) Indiana Jones film is that Uncharted 2 will not horribly disappoint anyone. It doesn't try to be what it isn't.

Not to say that that kind of mindless adhering to what works is a good thing, but it certainly isn't bad.

Zak-Attak

Feb 24, 2009
Well, this was a disappointing episode. I had hoped to see a review of the new Ratchet & Clank game instead of a re-hash of an old review.

xmido

Sep 12, 2008
the game is not even half bad as he says, saying the game is not original is like saying all new cars are not original, cause they all have steering wheels like the first car. the game might not be original, but the game took what other people did, and improved it to perfection. right now there is no game in the market like uncharted. i have a friend who stopped gaming since psx, have started playing games again because of uncharted 2

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
That was fun.

Though I have a feeling that because Dragon Age was teased, that it's not going to be next week's review, if that makes sense. But I would enjoy it. Who knows.