Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I never knew his chips on his shoulder were potato chips.. I find mine to be much less tasty and more aggravating.

geezon

Dec 17, 2008
"Something that matters" *Dragon Age leans into shot*

Does that mean we get a Dragon Age review next?
I do hope so..

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
We have no idea what he means by "game that matters" when referring to Dragon Age: Origins. Either its:

A. A multi-platform game that more people would have played.
B. A game he himself is interested in since we know he likes Western RPGs better.
C. NOT MODERN WARFARE 2!

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
As always Yahtzee has proven himself to have a terrible taste in games and i could not agree on one single thing.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
Seems like that week 'off' was needed.
That was brilliant, I was laughing through the whole review.

RawShark

Nov 2, 2009
Oh Yahtzee. You really have lost all sense of what it is to have fun while playing a game.

If this was a sandbox game with a side mission to wobble your giblets at the non-American Whites he'd lap this up. But because Uncharted 2's goal is recreate the cinematic feel of the first three Indie movies, (like how Tomb Raider tried to do thirteen odd years ago), it's automatically disposable.

Consider this - the concept might not be new, but then new isn't always good, (see Indie 4). Uncharted 2 is so incredibly well executed, and so much better so than National Treasure or any of the recent Tomb Raider games, that there's little point in comparing them as that would just prove that Uncharted has gone above and beyond the bar they set. the only apt comparison is to the original Indie films - and considering we can all sit through these films still after all this time, you pretty much have to say Uncharted 2 is an intsant classic.

And no mention of the multi-player? Tut bloody tut.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
That was pretty funny. The series does kinda resemble Indiana Jones, doesn't it? Let's hope the threequal doesn't have aliens.

MrSweJohn

Aug 27, 2009
Sadly he doesn't talk about multiplayer because he feels like multiplayer is still a bi-thing for a game and that the singleplayer should be the main thing.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
lwm3398 said:
Damn. You know, my friend told me it was a great game, all cinematic and adventurous and sandbox-y... I was just gonna wait for a little confirmation.

Well, it seems I've saved sixty dollars.
This...kinda bugs me. Uncharted 2 actually is pretty good, and yahtzee admitted that in the review. He found one real game-play problem and his only other big criticism was that it didn't provide anything new. Trust me, you could get a lot worse than Uncharted 2.

Oh, and of course, taking video game purchasing advice from someone who is simply an entertainer, not a reviewer, seems dense. (p.s. Who the hell told you it was sandbox-y? It doesn't get much more linear than Uncharted 2.)

As for the video: Well done, laughed quite a bit at the "moving on to other, non-american, white people" joke. Noting the new cliches in the story was pretty great too(like the british villain, as anyone with a cool accent must be evil).

I will say, I don't think i ever ran into a problem with the cover system though, so I can't really see where that one is coming from.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
Another great review. However, when people leave messages saying "I'm not gonna buy this game now" got my attention. Yahtzee never said the game was "bad" so why not buy the game now?

Note: I understand the majority of people won't buy a game because they will find certain game features he has listed in his review annoying, but you cannot deny that some people out there will not buy a game b/c of what Yahtzee says. No, trolls I don't hate Yahtzee (I'm a fan just like you) I agree with his viewpoints a majority of the time and I respect his opinion/arguments b/c they're educated rather than personal derogatory remarks towards me or my mom (and if they are at least he's creative).

Now people should know that Yahtzee prefers to talk about the negatve aspects of a game. Again, he stated he didn't consider the game "bad" so people should not assume a game is bad from his words alone. (No, trolls I don't own Uncharted 1 or 2, I never even heard of it until I watched his video on Uncharted:Drake's Fortune.) He's a critic not a choir, therefore he won't sing praises alone about a game.

Instead he lists the negatives along with the positives so interested buyers may be able to consider a view point other than "Amazing" or that abused and depleted word "EPIC" used by many other game critics. (I know I've just stated the obvious with the majority, but thick people will start spamming me b/c they will only read the first 3 lines of this message and start the swearing.) To say "I'm not gonna buy this game now" because of what Yahtzee says is strange. If you buy a game and don't enjoy it you can always return it with your receipt. If your interested in a game a critic shouldn't dictate your choice of buying it or skipping it.

You have to make the choices yourself people.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Okay, now this was a little disappointing because I think I'm starting to sense some anti-uncharted bias on Yahtzee's part, or perhaps anti-Nathan Drake bias. I admit that the game isn't very original but the same can probably be said of most of the games in existence today so it seems to me that holding it against a game, at least in big way, is getting pointless and at least somewhat redundant. This is evidently something that alot of gaming websites understand. It seems that very little these days is truly original. No matter what you do the chances are someone has already done it before. Nowadays it seems to be about presentation and execution for the most part, both of which Uncharted 2 does a good job with. I know it's Yahtzee's style to point out everything that's wrong with a game but he really seems to go out of his way to knock Uncharted 2. Prototype's story and premise both largely rip off the Resident Evil franchise and who knows what else yet curiously this apparently escapes his attention for some reason. He doesn't really seem to acknowledge how Uncharted 2 improves upon it's predecessor in numerous ways such as there being no more random quick time events. I was also especially disappointed to see him still playing the race card even though most of the enemies in Uncharted 2 are white. He may knock Uncharted 2 for rehashing stuff but evidently that doesn't stop him from rehashing his old jokes. Furthermore, calling the ancient puzzles in the game "inexplicably functional" seems to be somewhat of a stretch. There are at least two instances of an ancient mechanism in the game breaking, thus forcing Drake to improvise perhaps most notably around the "Heart of Ice" chapter.

Also, while admittedly this isn't explcitly pointed out in the game's story Chloe Frazer is Australian, not British.

Of course he does admit that Uncharted 2 isn't a bad game and there are numerous good adjectives to describe it including the supposedly all-important one: immersive. But I get the impression that he does so rather reluctantly, perhaps practically kicking and screaming. I was hoping that after the travesty that was "Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls" he would be willing to cut Uncharted 2 a little slack for at least reminding people of what made Indiana Jones popular in the first place. But I guess Susan Arendt already has that covered.

For the record I am a PS3 supporter but I'm not like some Xbox fans who go out of their way to urinate on seemingly any and all PS3 Exclusives no matter what they are. There are at least a few Xbox games that I'm curious about such as Gears of War 2, Alan Wake, and Section 8. But nevertheless I probably won't be buying an Xbox because I'd really rather not have to deal with the relatively high risk of hardward issues, warranty stipulations, or the fact that Xbox games don't have the advantage of hard coating that makes PS3 games so resistant to damage.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
ianrocks6495 said:
I really liked Uncharted 2.. he doesn't have to bash every game for it to be funny, does he?
Yes. Unless the game is Portal, then he performs fellatio on it.

Nice review. Maybe it's cause I'm in a good mood, but it felt like "Old School" Yahtzee.