Zero Punctuation: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

CrazySlyHawk

Feb 28, 2008
Ooh, it seems you've jumped the shark on this one, Yahtzee!

Watch your older videos again to remember the good times.

At least you did not completely abuse the 'dropping' animation this time. Your appearance on this video was either filler or just to confirm you are a real person! One can just look at the Valve Travelogue.

Chis

Nov 28, 2007
Not the best Stevie Wonder piece, but Yahtzee still gets points for using it. And Gold. EARLY Spandau Ballet were pretty good...

Feb 28, 2008
Yahtzee,

I've been watching your reviews since your first Zero Punctuation with escapistmagazine.com and am a big fan of yours. I've never been inspired to actually comment or e-mail you till now. I find it interesting how in your first Zero Punctuation you spoke of the controversy surrounding Resident Evil 5 as a hair trigger response in perceiving racism yet felt the need to spend almost a minute of your review on Uncharted Drake's Fortune referring to it as a game for white supremacists. Now the comedic value of overstatement is not beyond me but I don't believe that it was even warranted to claim racism for this game. Back in high school I did a half hour presentation of the evolution of nautical pirates. Now I may not be a complete encyclopedia of the subject, but I know enough about modern pirates to know that there are many pirates in the Pacific ocean, which are made up of Asians/Pacific Islanders and Hispanics (including South American black Hispanics). I don't see how fighting a bunch of pirates, which actually exist, is racist. If they randomly put an African guy with a bone through his nose, throwing spears and talking in clicks among the ranks of the pirates, then I'd give you racism. I am Hispanic myself and have dealt with enough profiling, prejudice and judgment based upon the way I look to despise ignorant hatred of any kind but I'd be hard pressed to say it's wrong to play a character killing a video game representation of an actual group of raiding, murdering, rapist assholes just because it happens to be made up of nonwhites. Sure you've got the specially equipped Hispanic commando guys that come in later, but now we're just talking setting. Then of course you have the section where it becomes a survival horror shooter and you're dealing with what are essentially your run of the mill zombie Nazis. So you are not just killing a bunch of ethnic groups the entire time.

I just felt that it ruined the humor a little bit for me to needlessly throw around such a word that swims in controversy for a game that honestly doesn't warrant it in my eyes. I'm sure there are people who'd disagree with me. There always are. I don't really think you'll read, care about or even bother responding to anything I've said but I just felt the inclination to express my response to it. Still a fan and enjoyed most of the rest of the video, though I disagreed with you. Looking forward to next week's video.

DreamerM

Feb 28, 2008
WHY YAHTZEE IS NOT WEARING HIS HAT:

(in his own words)

"Many people seem to have bemoaned that I wasn't wearing my hat. Well, it was like this: I could either wear my hat or my headset, and my hat lacks the ability to record sound."

There you have it.

DreamerM

Feb 28, 2008
CrazySlyHawk said:
Your appearance on this video was either filler or just to confirm you are a real person! One can just look at the Valve Travelogue.
He appeared not for the sake of appearing, he appeared to demonstrate the randomness of sticking a Quick Time Event in the middle of a cut-scene in the middle of somewhere where it's really out of context and doesn't belong.

He interrupted the regular psudo-animated video format we're all used to...with a Quick Time Event. Because they are everywhere, even it doesn't make sense and they really don't belong.

You been schooled.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Mm, the room Yahtzee was sitting in looked so normal. I always thought that everyone in Australia lived in huts or something.

Thanks for teaching me something new today, and thanks for another great review.

Sparkly-elf

Feb 23, 2008
TheSinisterLordofShadows said:
Yahtzee,

I've been watching your reviews since your first Zero Punctuation with escapistmagazine.com and am a big fan of yours. I've never been inspired to actually comment or e-mail you till now. I find it interesting how in your first Zero Punctuation you spoke of the controversy surrounding Resident Evil 5 as a hair trigger response in perceiving racism yet felt the need to spend almost a minute of your review on Uncharted Drake's Fortune referring to it as a game for white supremacists. Now the comedic value of overstatement is not beyond me but I don't believe that it was even warranted to claim racism for this game. Back in high school I did a half hour presentation of the evolution of nautical pirates. Now I may not be a complete encyclopedia of the subject, but I know enough about modern pirates to know that there are many pirates in the Pacific ocean, which are made up of Asians/Pacific Islanders and Hispanics (including South American black Hispanics). I don't see how fighting a bunch of pirates, which actually exist, is racist. If they randomly put an African guy with a bone through his nose, throwing spears and talking in clicks among the ranks of the pirates, then I'd give you racism. I am Hispanic myself and have dealt with enough profiling, prejudice and judgment based upon the way I look to despise ignorant hatred of any kind but I'd be hard pressed to say it's wrong to play a character killing a video game representation of an actual group of raiding, murdering, rapist assholes just because it happens to be made up of nonwhites. Sure you've got the specially equipped Hispanic commando guys that come in later, but now we're just talking setting. Then of course you have the section where it becomes a survival horror shooter and you're dealing with what are essentially your run of the mill zombie Nazis. So you are not just killing a bunch of ethnic groups the entire time.

I just felt that it ruined the humor a little bit for me to needlessly throw around such a word that swims in controversy for a game that honestly doesn't warrant it in my eyes. I'm sure there are people who'd disagree with me. There always are. I don't really think you'll read, care about or even bother responding to anything I've said but I just felt the inclination to express my response to it. Still a fan and enjoyed most of the rest of the video, though I disagreed with you. Looking forward to next week's video.
While this is not for me, and I'm replying for the sake of being nothing other than a nosy cow who likes to butt in, I felt I just had to say something.

I reeeeeeeeally don't think Yahtzee was trying to put out the game as being utterly "racist" to such an extreme, he was simply doing it for the purpose of comedy sake, you know, pointing out something that might be funny in a game that we may have never thought about before.

If you've noticed, Yahtzee does this frequently, he OVER-EXAGGERATES for the simple sake of comedy, and I highly doubt he was trying to get across that the game is white supremesist to an extent.

Feb 28, 2008
Sparkly-elf said:
While this is not for me, and I'm replying for the sake of being nothing other than a nosy cow who likes to butt in, I felt I just had to say something.

I reeeeeeeeally don't think Yahtzee was trying to put out the game as being utterly "racist" to such an extreme, he was simply doing it for the purpose of comedy sake, you know, pointing out something that might be funny in a game that we may have never thought about before.

If you've noticed, Yahtzee does this frequently, he OVER-EXAGGERATES for the simple sake of comedy, and I highly doubt he was trying to get across that the game is white supremesist to an extent.
I understand that the point was to overstate for comedy's sake and I mention as much in the post itself. It is just that I felt it was not necessary to do, particularly considering how there are people who could take an insinuation of controversy and use it to attack a game and people missing out on games because of believing such things is sad, at least in my eyes. I know Yahtzee had a neutral sort of response to the game, but I thought it was a lot of fun. Anyways, just my point of view on it.

Sparkly-elf

Feb 23, 2008
Sparkly-elf said:

I understand that the point was to overstate for comedy's sake and I mention as much in the post itself. It is just that I felt it was not necessary to do, particularly considering how there are people who could take an insinuation of controversy and use it to attack a game and people missing out on games because of believing such things is sad, at least in my eyes. I know Yahtzee had a neutral sort of response to the game, but I thought it was a lot of fun. Anyways, just my point of view on it.
Ah, I shee. Sorry.

Well, we are all entitled to our say I suppose, and I loved the game too for the originality of the gameplay, so corny it wasn't corny. If that makes sense.

Feb 28, 2008
Sparkly-elf said:
Sparkly-elf said:

Ah, I shee. Sorry.

Well, we are all entitled to our say I suppose, and I loved the game too for the originality of the gameplay, so corny it wasn't corny. If that makes sense.
Well originality might be putting it too far, what it was was a great meld of styles. The platforming and control was very smooth, much smoother than any Tomb Raider game, as long as you were heading in the right direction it was hard to fall. The story itself was a lot of fun, not amazingly deep or anything but it was highly entertaining and exciting, definitely like playing an Indiana Jones movie. I am still absolutely confused about the guys who would snipe you from 50 yards away in a window with a Desert Eagle, guess they didn't like Sniper Rifles?

Panuru

Feb 29, 2008
I registered to the Escapist to tell Yahtzee that he is quite a pretty man, especially for being such a huge nerd. I guess I should have just looked up the email address instead of wading through all the pages of people hurfing and durfing about a small video/sound clip of a man making fun of videogames by talking really fast and making witty jokes.

deplorable

Feb 29, 2008
very amusing, as always, review of a medicore run of the mill, kinda good, but not really, but at least it's on a PS3 kinda game.

Shame the villians are never American White Pro-God Prudes, but i live in hope... killing blacks, chinese etc is beginning to get slightly meh...

what i wouldn't give for a game in which we kill yanks... i guess it would be too popular, the rest of the world may declare such a video game as an olympic sport.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Wyatt said:
dwhee said:
Half of the features you listed for the PC could be available on a budget PC. The cost of upgrading that same budget PC to a gaming PC is, most likely, more expensive even than the PS3. I'm a PC gamer myself, but I didn't like your reasoning or your lazy duck analogy.
ill point out the anti-logic you are using here by saying that for the same $600 you piss away on a PS3 you can buy a computer that will play the same games that PS3 will with about equill graphics (now today that is) i can build a PC for $600 that has atleast the same 'power' as PS3 and that PC wont be limited to JUST games.

now i will say a top of the line Nvidia card is about the same price as a PS3 and thats not counting the other $1000 ish you need to spend to actualy get a working computer, the chip the Mobo, the RAM, etc. for a 'top of the line' gaming PC. but given taht software is allways a year or better behind the hardware its foolish to chase your tail keeping upgraded to the very tip-top pointy end of the hardware 'cycles'

but the two points im making is that

1) PC do about a billion things a console never will so the cash spent is actualy spent ON something of more use than simply playing games. and

2) PC will allways be better gaming machines than consoles untill they make a console upgradable (hardware wise) like a PC. meaning you dont get stuck with 2 or 3 year old hardware for the entire console 'cycle'. i mean usualy by the time a console is "finished" and ready to be shiped its hardware is allready atleast 1 'cycle' out of date in comparison to a PCs abilitys.

on the up side though, a console is much MUCH more easy to develope for (usualy though there was alot of issues with the PS3s development system from what ive read) since all the hardware is the same even if it is out of date, and as i found out the hard way after having spent way to much cash on an alienware computer it can take ages for software to actualy catch up with the hardware. my computer is about 2 years old and its just NOW getting games made that can take advantage of its hardware. i poped a chubby about buying a dual core (and of course quad core chips came out about 30 seconds after i settled on the dual core) chip only to find that ive spent most of the last 2 years having to disable one core to even get most games to lode.

in my opinion though if im gunna spend alot of cash im gunna spend it on a PC not a console since PC do more than play games. and even if ALL you did with your PC was play games your still much better of with a PC than a console due to upgradable issues.

like i said there is nothing actualy wrong with consoles other than the price, for $600 i expect not only the console but atleast a free year full of visits by hookers. knock that baby down too the $200ish price range and id prolly own one. any more than that and its better over all just to get a PC and get other things out of your hardware besides games.

and zippy whats your obsession with being able to cheat? cheating in a game is like being in the special olympics ............ well you know the rest :)
with the PS3 you don't have thousands of bugs to work out with different hardware and driver configurations, however you gain a new code style to learn, the upside less bugs to deal with at the end of the project on the PC if a game is launched early like Bioshock the game is given a patch or 2 and then forgotten, PC gaming can be worse off than console gaming sheerly for the focus of the market..

About cheating tis called fun factor, games with broken and lacking gameplay mechanics are basically worthless, a cheat device brings out the fun thus can make any game worth playing.

In this case tis not about being a retard its about having fun beating a retard....wha?
:p

Sparkly-elf
thats only partially right, the corporate focus on console gaming has stagnated at best the gameplay quality of gaming as a whole.

Lets get my issues with control and cheating..I am still a game nazi:
But really the console market can be a lot more "watered down" but frankly the whole game industry is like hollywood filled with shallow content and some good stuff too if you can find it.

Feb 15, 2008
deplorable said:
what i wouldn't give for a game in which we kill yanks... i guess it would be too popular, the rest of the world may declare such a video game as an olympic sport.
Umm... There's a whole crapload of games you kill yanks in... The first thing that comes to my mind is the GTA series, the game IS in the US, and you do have the ability to kill innocent American bystanders.

Also:
1) people, stop complaining about the no-hat thing, it got old 4 pages ago.
2) the PC is superior to consoles, as Sir Wyatt pointed out. Stop living in denial.

The Luna Diviner

Nov 26, 2007
Lmao, the thing going through my brain when you came on screen for real was, "wow, he's cute." xD I totally stopped thinking about what you were saying. heh

pinkgothic

Feb 1, 2008
Thisusernameisjustanotherwasteofspace said:
2) the PC is superior to consoles, as Sir Wyatt pointed out. Stop living in denial.
*indulges in denial to thwart you!*

Nah, really, for me consoles > PC because I work on my PC; and it's just more comfortable having a medium that isn't contaminated with 'serious'. And every time I try to install a PC-exclusive game and it refuses to work because it requires (for example) an old version of Quicktime, I'm happy about the general decision.

Or maybe I should get a third partition for Windows 95 or 98.

DOS?

*shudders*

DreamerM

Feb 28, 2008
Yeesh. We should start an "Is Yahtzee Cute?" thread just for itself.

....hey....

In fact, we SHOULD start an "Is Yahtzee Cute?" thread.

Where would it be appropriate to do that? Is it here because the topic is Yahtzee, or is it Off Topic?

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
pinkgothic said:
*indulges in denial to thwart you!*

Nah, really, for me consoles > PC because I work on my PC; and it's just more comfortable having a medium that isn't contaminated with 'serious'. And every time I try to install a PC-exclusive game and it refuses to work because it requires (for example) an old version of Quicktime, I'm happy about the general decision.

Or maybe I should get a third partition for Windows 95 or 98.

DOS?

*shudders*
erm you Do know that XP (and vista) allows you to run any program in compatibility mode right? (for XP) just right click the app, select compatibility tab, click the box, use the drop down to select the previous OS to run it and your gold.

i have had to do that with several games, Dungeon Keeper 2 comes to mind right off hand, have to run that one in 95. well thats not exactly true i dont HAVE too it WILL run in XP but its not stable.

and what new game makes you load an old version of quicktime? not doubting you id just like to know so i can avoid it :)

and while we are on the topic this is yet another reason to go PC for gaming, your games never stop working. it might require a bit of effort on your part but i dont own a PC game that i cant get to play on this computer and some of those games are over 12 years old. try saying THAT about a console. all those hundereds of not thousands of dollers spent on games POOF gone over night unless you want to stack up 3 generations of consoles in your living room you need a friggen PHD in pysics just to keep the wires straight. and if you buy more than one brand of console forget it.

hehe console tards, gotta love em 8D

es-

Dec 3, 2007
DreamerM said:
Yeesh. We should start an "Is Yahtzee Cute?" thread just for itself.

....hey....

In fact, we SHOULD start an "Is Yahtzee Cute?" thread.
To be frank, I have absolutely no interest in watching my own gender publicly throw themselves at the feet of a man, making shrewd sexual advances, and simultaneously get clobbered by the male population on how we look like whores.

And as usual, we'll all degrade into some mudslinging fight/flame thing, where everyone accuses everyone else of being sexist. So no, not really.