Zero Punctuation: Velvet Assassin

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
I'm embarrassed by my own country that they handled world war 2 in such a mainstream (meaning:american) way.

So, will he finally review killing floor?This game is great!

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
CapitalDave said:
No mention of the horrific corruption of the original source, who's family would not permit her name to be used, when it was going to be so blatantly sexualised?

"Violette Szabo, you see, was captured by the Germans after just over a year of active duty as a Special Operations Executive. During her incarceration, she was repeatedly beaten, starved and sexually abused. Ultimately, she was executed, aged just 23." -

Games like this are part of why people won't respect the game industry as an art form, I would have thought Yahtzee would mention that. (and be more offended)
Just like the movies always do then? No the acceptance of games does not mean all titles should or need to be 100% accurate or even attempt to be. Unrealistic portrayal of real life events will exist in any and every medium its just kind of how things are. It is also not a barrier to giving a understanding of what happened either, real life does not work like any game or movie or book so liberties pretty much have to be taken.

I am not saying the work in this game, not played it and by the sounds of the reviews I feel no need too. However the fact it is not what really happened does not make it good or bad its self.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I believe that in light of his recent reviews, he is regaining his comical spark. This was the only one that has truly made me laugh out loud for quite some time. Well done Yahtzee.

CAB_IV

Oct 15, 2008
I liked the Fahrenheit 451 reference about the government burning people's houses down.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I actually learned quite a few things about the game, thus making this the first "review" of his that I've enjoyed watching in a long time. Morphine goes away after one kill? REALLY? REALLY?

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
yeah looks a bit pants gameplay but at least its a slightly original game. akin to what he said, playing a game made by germans is bound to be more interesting than made by americans.

Gerkuman

May 17, 2009
Generally, I hold the opinion that if Yahtzee doesn't state his position on a game, it falls into the default 'meh' category. One thing is for certain though, it seems like he's getting bored with the world war two stuff; but then, he's been saying that for a long time.

It was an interesting and informative review, and it's definitely not the sort of game I'd like to play.

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
I insist if you want to review a bad awful game. You should review STORMRISE
Great review

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I think most people would agree, that the line "What is this, community service?" is one of the best lines ever mentioned...

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
The review was great, as always. In fact, it's going up there with the classics.

That aside, I'm starting to believe that South Peak are a bit too anxious to succeed in the industry. They constantly rip off other titles, which isn't that bad on its own, but their games end up competent enough to play, but not to buy. Two Worlds wasn't horrible or anything, but it couldn't compare to Oblivion and anybody who wasn't RPG-hungry wouldn't bother. X-Blades was like Heavenly Sword only shittier (and HS was already pretty shitty) and this is a mesh of all the big boys in the stealth genre, only without any attempt for something more than basic functionality.

A little effort to add some depth in the gameplay won't hurt, boys!

JusticeSoulTuna

May 20, 2009
True say; when ya gotta make something *ahem* 'historical* ya gotta add some "fan service", else not many people would be attracted to it. Like X-Blades; blatant back-side on the front. Nice, yes. Wholesome? Hmm...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
So, I think Yahtzee concluded it is a bit like Splinter cell but has the same fundamental flaws as Assassin's creed... sooo... if you liked Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed then this game is a rent?

But I get it, Yahtzee is mostly for lols, though the key to great humour is basing it on and underlying truth.

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
Jay Cee said:
The very fact that this was developed by South peak was a terrible indication.
This was getting bad scores from even the most positive of reviewers, so I could tell hilarity was coming when the most pessimistic of them all had a stab and the crappy game.

Yahtzee forever
Nice try but it wasn't developed by South Peak.

Anyway, the german government has nothing against people mentioning Nazi. In fact it's the complete opposite. The only thing the german government is careful with is the use of the Swastika. They only allowed to be used in documentary or stuff that is against nazi bullshit, like American History X. They usually censor/change the emblem if it's featured in videogames.