Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

raunchious

Jun 29, 2009
Good Job Yahtzee, you've pulled back the metaphorical curtain covering the metaphorical wizard of the metaphorical land of WoW. Yes, there is essentially no point to doing anything in WoW. The whole thing is a hamster wheel. Well...more like a giant hamster wheel with rims on it in which you're a superhero fighting monsters with your friends. But you don't have any of those do you, Yahtzee? Otherwise you might have fun playing WoW.

That being said, the level grind in WoW (and mmorpgs in general) actively works to alienate people with limited free time, the dungeons are too damn long to play through in a single sitting, and it's hard to find interesting people in a game that doesn't require much thinking besides: "How many turtle-porpoises do I still need to kill?"

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
raunchious said:
Good Job Yahtzee, you've pulled back the metaphorical curtain covering the metaphorical wizard of the metaphorical land of WoW. Yes, there is essentially no point to doing anything in WoW. The whole thing is a hamster wheel. Well...more like a giant hamster wheel with rims on it in which you're a superhero fighting monsters with your friends. But you don't have any of those do you, Yahtzee? Otherwise you might have fun playing WoW.

That being said, the level grind in WoW (and mmorpgs in general) actively works to alienate people with limited free time, the dungeons are too damn long to play through in a single sitting, and it's hard to find interesting people in a game that doesn't require much thinking besides: "How many turtle-porpoises do I still need to kill?"
To the first-point, what purpose is there to playing any video game? For pleasure and enjoyment. It doesn't matter if the game is Madden or WoW, if you're having fun, then there is a point to it (And before you say anything, yes. People do have fun playing WoW. I know from first-hand experience.)

Secondly, most servers have hundreds of thousands of players in them. Most people find a guild to join and play in by the time they're level 12 and most of the time, they're populated by friendly talkative people. WoW is quite literally, the greatest, largest and probably the wealthiest social game on the planet. It isn't Farmville, it isn't Halo or CoD and it isn't TF2, It is World of Warcraft.

Anthan

Apr 3, 2010
I got a free trial version then stopped playing it after a day. I found that it got a little repetitive after a while.

Agent Cross

Died And Got Better
Jan 3, 2011
WoW, the angry nerd's revenge zone. Played a while, and then quite. Gave Catacysm a shot and meh. Just give it time, I'll quite. *Grumbles* [small]NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS...[/small] BOOO!

tchyeah

Jan 16, 2011
you should totally review POSTAL 2. even though it submerges you into an extremely racist and prejudiced world, yuo end up having fun.

John Horn

Aug 15, 2010
The only way I can understand how anyone can enjoy these MMO titles (WoW in particular) is if I reduce people into huge swathes of predictable Pavlovian Dogs.
Conditioning: Loot & Comeraderie in exchange for Free Time and Money.

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
Reveras said:
Troll, Orc, Tauren, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin females are attractive to you? Ummm ....ok....
Rule 34 my friend... there are some artists out there that makes really nice pics of... of... uhm...

...hold on, am I making a huge fool of myself now by revealing I am a connaisseur of naughty internet art? Naughty WoW internet art none the less?

*thinks back at the video*

I know the artist of that background picture at 03:23 in the video... I can even find the picture without using bookmarks (never use them anyway) in... *starts clock*

*stops clock* ...20 seconds.. but that was only because it was on the 4th page of the gallery.

Ok, I'm a freak... I shall go hide now...

And for all you pervs out there... of the right age... *glares at the kids to make them back off*... ...some artists in question are...
Maxblackrabbit: http://maxblackrabbit.deviantart.com/ [http://maxblackrabbit.deviantart.com/]
Azazel1944: http://azazel1944.deviantart.com/ [http://azazel1944.deviantart.com/]
...and Dr Graevling as mentioned elsewhere.

Enjoy, you FREAKS.

/S

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I never do stick with a game for long, which is why I've always been so hesitant to play a game like WoW. I love Guild Wars, but I don't play it very often. I plan on getting DCU online for my PS3 but even that'll probably only last a month or two. I loved this review, it was really funny.

Altherix

Jul 3, 2008
Glad to see someone got the same feeling about Cataclysm I have, "Been there done that" glad I didn't have to play it to figure that out.

Played Burning and Wrath, quit in Wrath because it got too boring and realized I should of never came back. Have had a few friends that went back for Cataclysm that quit, some still are playing.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Watch Video
Yahtzee, I gotta say: you claim "Nobody ever ruined their lives trying to get 100% of the items in Super Metroid." All I can say to that is TRUST ME, THERE IS SOMEBODY OUT THERE WHO DID.

Look, I finished Super Street Fighter 2, Sega Genesis, no "Save" function, 32 fights in a row, perfects in every single match. It took me well over four months, and at the end of it I felt as empty as a homeless alcoholic's day-old bottle of "White Lightning". That was over sixteen years ago.

And about six months ago, I also finished Painkiller, all achievements, all secrets, all holy items, all everything. Not sure if ruining your SOCIAL life counts, but it sure as hell ruined mine for a while.

My point: Never underestimate the sheer obsessiveness of gamers, even ones like me who call themselves "casual", on one or two points.

Lisa Cerilli

Dec 16, 2010
Curiosity question: Why were the first few people who replied to this put on probation? Their posts didn't look bad.

Anyway, I'll go on record to say I want to play this game but don't because I dislike paying for games I've already paid for at the store, and I kinda can't run it on my hardware anyway unless I dualboot it.

jpaugh78

Jan 17, 2011
Stabby Joe said:
That's a lot of responses from people who clearly haven't watch it.

Since I actually did however I've got a question... how does the expansion impact those who don't have it? I haven't played in a few months and am now wondering when I do I'll be on top of a mountain or beneath a whole new town.
I don't think any of my characters ended up in any weird places, but then again, I always log out in cities. You shouldn't have any issues in that regard.

If you don't have the expansion, you won't be able to make either of the two new races, you won't be able to buy the flight license which allows you to fly in the old world. I think you also need the expansion to learn the new secondary profession, archeology. You also won't be able to level past level 80. I don't know if you were playing when they put in the cataclysm patch a month or so before the expansion came out, but it completely changed everybody's talent trees. Also, because of the landscape changes from the cataclysm, they almost completely did every zone in the 1-60 range. So leveling from 1 to 60 will be a completely different experience from what I've seen. They changed a lot of the level ranges for those zones too.

Buddahcjcc

Sep 22, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Judging by some of the drivel floating around the WoW forums, you'd think this "game" is nothing more than a glorified spreadsheet passed around a table by a bunch of fat nerds.[/b]
No... thats EVE

Alandoril said:
Zombie_Fish said:
Jewrean said:
Why were the first 5 posts put on probation? WTF? Whoever that mod was they have the brain of a biased chimp.
They were put on probation for not telling us the secret to time travel and somehow being able to watch a four minute video before posting two minutes after the video was uploaded. Posting without watching the video is useless in terms of discussion value and is only done so that people can be the first to respond to the videos, and resultantly is a form of obnoxious behaviour that we will punish for.
Well, maybe the option to post should be greyed out until the mods deem it to be such a time that people have actually watched a video.

Surely that's got to be better than putting people on probation for having gut reactions?
That would require thought
banning them is easier

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
I agree with the raid mentality, but people seem to always bring that up as if it's the universal reason people play WoW. I refuse to believe that I'm a rare type of WoW player that plays the game because he likes the gameplay. I don't raid admittedly because fuck killing dragons, but I do a lot of PvP, and I enjoy teleporting around on my Rogue and using the knowledge of my class to beat other players, the same way people like playing COD, or Starcraft or whatever the fuck. In fact, the majority of people I know who play WoW play for the exact same reason.

Also, I hate the bragging situation where people constantly want to be congratulated on their achievements, or their new piece of gear. But, like above, I know far more people who think just the same than people who don't.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Yahtzeeeeeee. . . it was a great review but it would have been hilarious to hear your take on the WoW rp that occurs on some servers. The potential for hilarity is astounding.

And yes, numbers rule endgame with an iron fist.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Alandoril said:
Well, maybe the option to post should be greyed out until the mods deem it to be such a time that people have actually watched a video.

Surely that's got to be better than putting people on probation for having gut reactions?
In case you're wondering what's taken me so long to respond, I actually like this idea so I decided to ask other staff members about it and have only recently gotten a response from one of the higher powers.

[user]Kuliani[/user] is going to ask the Tech Team about it, but chances are it's going to be low on the list of priorities if they do like the idea, so even if they agree with it don't expect to be seeing such a system in place soon.