Zero Punctuation: XBLA Double Bill

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
XBLA Double Bill

Yahtzee reviews Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Castle Crashers, and the retro games in general.

Photo courtesy of Dave Bullock, EECUE [http://eecue.com/]

afrophysics

Jul 4, 2008
Yep I hated the lives system on Bionic Commando. Didn't find this very funny though.
Magneto was right would've been funnier.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I thought that Yahtzee is going to review Star Wars: The Force Unleashed but retro stuff is good too

juraigamer

Sep 3, 2008
Lives system ----> Health Bars ----> Stupid hide-behind-cover and cry abit to heal

Couldn't we just stay at health bars...

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
You're right, Yahtzee, Fantasy World Dizzy isn't the best game ever. Treasure Island Dizzy is.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Oh my got you think Hitler was right? I thought you were stupid but not that stupid, how dare you even say such a thing?!

Seriously though, way better than last week's video :D

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
"I think Hitler was right!!!!"
(Also, i really liked ocarina of time, even better than twilight princess, because it gets everything right on the first try.)

MaDsPLoiTz

Feb 13, 2008
Good to hear some views on Castle Crashers; I've heard a lot of hype about it but didn't really know what it was like.

Cheers.

Blazsy

Jun 8, 2008
Awesome video, I like Castle Crashers and a very fun game when you play it with 4 people. It's not trying to "ape" Golden axe, they have based there game from Alien homnid

afrophysics

Jul 4, 2008
MaDsPLoiTz post=6.72328.755871 said:
Good to hear some views on Castle Crashers; I've heard a lot of hype about it but didn't really know what it was like.

Cheers.
You might want to try a proper review for that one.

Aeviv

Jun 13, 2008
Another great review :p The Hitler line got me laughing, but i REALLY Laughed when i saw the credits

Megaman1222

Jul 22, 2008
for a second I thought he said wind waker was better then OoT, and thought he must have been on crack while playing that one

DeLukas

May 7, 2008
juraigamer post=6.72328.755857 said:
Lives system ----> Health Bars ----> Stupid hide-behind-cover and cry abit to heal

Stupidly Hard ----> Reasonably Hard ----> Far to Easy/Games Yahtzee can Beat

I kid on the last one. However, I do agree with your main point that perhaps gaming in general is getting too easy and perhaps a step back isn't always a bad thing when it's game mechanics and not graphics.

Wengle

Nov 9, 2007
"Also, I think Hitler was right!"
I laughed so much, great punchline.
Best one in a while. Although Castle Crasher's is awesome, and that's a part of that type of gameplay for boss's to try and block your view.
Keep it up at the standard we have this week.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
An interesting little romp into the world of arcade gaming.

Although, a notable comment that Yahtzee touched on, but missed home plate for:

Games like Bionic Commando were difficult because they put you in the position to have finite mortality, and forced you to hop, skip, jump, and die in a pit of death back to the beginning of the stage because that's what makes it difficult. That's it. The designs are simple, which allows for simple memorization to fuel the patterns once you've got the speed of it down.

The same way people can speed-run games like Ikaruga and Metal Slug. Sure, they're challenging, but once you've memorized them... That's it, game over, difficulty shot.

So, in short, in review of a review. Good video, decent humor, but not as all-encompassing. Probably because it was cut apart into two games.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

EDIT
Considering this is my first foray into the realm of Feature Comment posting, I must say I'm shocked to find that in the time it took me to write and post this, the comment number had well over quintupled. There were two comments when I started writing this...

Just, wow...

Megaman1222 post=6.72328.755879 said:
for a second I thought he said wind waker was better then OoT, and thought he must have been on crack while playing that one
I... I'm at a loss for words on this one. I personally thought Wind Waker was the best of the Legend of Zelda series, or at least tying up with Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. Ocarina of Time, to me at least, was a large and very resounding "decent."

Why do people hate on Wind Waker so much, was it the cel-shading?

Lupie

May 14, 2008
This review felt fresher and more full of bounce and ideas than some of the more recent ones, so it's definitely going on my rewatch/comb for icon ideas list.

I can cheerfully confirm that I am utterly depraved.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Uuh...yay?

Seriously, maybe I'm just getting too used to this, but this video was absolutely mediocre. There wasn't even a single sequence, joke, line or image that was worth even a smirk. I suppose I should stop watching ZP for a while then come back. Who knows, maybe it'll improve it!

Croaky

Sep 17, 2008
Ah, wonderfull! Again my weekly thirst for cynisism has been quenched.
Still, i'm waiting for you to rip Force Unleashed to shreds.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Ya, Sunshine is definatly better than Super Mario 64, but Twighlight Princess better than Ocarina of Time? It's close.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
afrophysics post=6.72328.755876 said:
MaDsPLoiTz post=6.72328.755871 said:

Cheers.
You might want to try a proper review for that one.
Like, for example, this one: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5252-Review-Castle-Crashers

ZerodMikestar

May 14, 2008
wow no, maybe I'll give you Sunshine over Mario 64 (and definitely galaxy over it)

but Twilight Princess over Ocarina of Time?...that's just ever so slightly categorically incorrect. there's an equation that proves it and everything

it goes along the lines of:

Ocarina = better than Twilight Princess. Simple. It had you as a bloody wolf for half the game and borrowed pretty much everything from Ocarina of time. eegads

rant over

funny chat today yahtzee, always hilarious calling children c*nts because they ARE

mensaap

Jul 9, 2008
well yathzee u obviously haven't played fallout

cause that game still beats every other game anytime, that's made in this day and age! (except maybe team fortress 2)

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
tony2077 post=6.72328.755907 said:
what happened man your reviews suck i could pull a better one out of my ass
Then do it. I want to see your anal excretion top Australia's funniest nerd.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
force unleashed is the star wars game we been waiting for, a game that make more use of the force then any others

greyhairdgamer

Mar 12, 2008
i agree that Bionic commando is a right pile of shite, but Castle crashers is great fun.
funny review as always nazi boy

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
It was a pretty good review, much better than spore for examp,e - maybe you people are getting bored of his reviews because you've seen them so often - take a 2 months break or something and then watch them, I bet they'd be hilarious again.

Nice review.

ScreamingCrab

Jun 18, 2008
What an inspiring piece of vitriol. I shall start using the phrase "diminutive cunts" with much haste.

Megaman1222

Jul 22, 2008
NewClassic post=6.72328.755892 said:
I didn't like it because I found it rediculously easy, the closest I came to dying in that game was when I torn apart after picking on some pigs a little too much.

I also couldnt help that being dropped down in a massive ocean with no clue on where to go was nintendo plan to make more money selling tons of stategy guides.

as for games being to easy now a days, lets go back to a zelda.. here are some bombs you can put them to good use. Oh look over at that wall there that has a giant crack in it that looks like it's made out of construction paper. wink wink...

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
The Sorrow post=6.72328.755920 said:
what happened man your reviews suck i could pull a better one out of my ass
Then do it. I want to see your anal excretion top Australia's funniest nerd.
use to be but not lately

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
I get what he's saying with twilight princess and sunshine being better than ocarina of time and super mario 64. They are more refined games with better graphics and gameplay elements. However, the reason that ocarina of time and super mario 64 are regarded as better games is due to the fact that when those games came out they were unlike anything else we'd ever seen. They changed things. They were new and different and from that model hundreds of other games were made. It's unfair to judge old games by the standards of today, you to take into account what it was like during the time that it was released.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Didn't think the review was the best, still made me chuckle that is until he said "I think Hitler was right" which made me fall off my chair with laughter (teach me for leaning back on it really).

rebochan

Apr 10, 2007
At this point it's impossible not to notice that Yahtzee contradicts himself every week now. He hates long grinding JRPGs with dialogue but professes to love Earthbound. He hates Super Mario 64 and loves Mario Sunshine, and yet he bitched about Mario Sunshine being a pale copy of Mario 64 that Mario Galaxy did better. He bitches every week that games are too easy, then complains when looking at the older games he professes to love that were frustratingly hard.

Sorry, but the schtick is about dead. The guy's just trolling now - he ran out of material and the only way he can keep putting out a video every week is to just find something else to ***** about regardless of whether he was praising it the week before.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
in case you all haven't noticed
Yahtzee was being sarcastic when he said Twilight princess and sunshine were better then OoT and 64...

The hitler comment afterwards was supposed to prove that....

sheesh...

does yahtzee need a sarcasm sign???
apparently

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
mensaap post=6.72328.755918 said:

cause that game still beats every other game anytime, that's made in this day and age! (except maybe team fortress 2)
I would disagree with this, mostly because I preferred Fallout 2 to its prequel, although the first was also good. Best game? Not so much.

broadband post=6.72328.755932 said:
i think so.
Well, that's depressing. Graphically it was stylish and a step in a new direction. Wouldn't say it was for the best, but it was still really nice. Did beautifully on the DS, as well.

What happened, man, your reviews suck. I could pull a better one out of my ass!
You'll have to excuse me for taking some liberties when correcting your grammar, but I tried to stay as true to content as I could.

That being said, this review was rather mundane when compared to some his others, but when referring just to the recent reviews, this one does a pretty clever job of staying on top of the game. Certainly still clever and entertaining, and worth the few minutes it took for me to watch it.

But, if you are persistent in trawling a superior review from your hind-quarters, I might make the suggestion of using spell-check, an editor, and a quick brushing up on your grammar [http://www.bartleby.com/141/].

Then, go ahead and post it up in the Review section [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/326]. Take your time, but I'll be waiting for it.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
rebochan post=6.72328.755962 said:
At this point it's impossible not to notice that Yahtzee contradicts himself every week now. He hates long grinding JRPGs with dialogue but professes to love Earthbound. He hates Super Mario 64 and loves Mario Sunshine, and yet he bitched about Mario Sunshine being a pale copy of Mario 64 that Mario Galaxy did better. He bitches every week that games are too easy, then complains when looking at the older games he professes to love that were frustratingly hard.

Sorry, but the schtick is about dead. The guy's just trolling now - he ran out of material and the only way he can keep putting out a video every week is to just find something else to ***** about regardless of whether he was praising it the week before.
1st:- He said he like Earthbound because it was so different to most JRPG's with a funky storyline and all that.

2nd:- He said Sunshine was better than 64 not that he liked it.

3rd:- And yeah so what. Alot of people do that. I do it all the time.

Kain637

Apr 16, 2008
the only reason everyone thinks Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are the best in the series is because they're the first 3D entries of the series; it's a very strange phenomenon, another good example is Final Fantasy VII, which is only really a mediocre entry.

xmido

Sep 12, 2008
i think megaman 9 is next in the extremely difficult, 2 button mashing, live system, retro gaming, nostalgia.

i think hitler was right too. he was demonised, just as arabs r demonised right now.

i want to play the german side of wwii games.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Hey look it's a sarcasm joke flying over all your heads! At least one or two of you are getting it.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I actually beat ye olde bionic commando and was jazzed when I heard about this. I just kind of assumed they would get rid of lives without thinking about it. I am not a kid anymore and can't devote an entire 12 hour streak to playing a game

Nov 28, 2007
I liked the review, but respectfully disagree on your opinion of Bionic Commando: Rearmed. It did exactly what a remake should do: added a few new tricks, updated the graphics, but overall kept the gameplay the same. Also, loved the ending, because I agree with it. Well, except for the pro-Nazi statement, obviously.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I like almost any game that is just fun. I can overlook some of the shortcomings if it keeps me interested. I guess I just don't like to nitpick too much. However, I do feel that some of today's newer games are showing a loss when it comes to an understanding of certain concepts. Artifacts are a big issue sometimes since they tend to be thrown at you, and you never feel the need to use them. Stories sometimes feel a bit empty and leave some people behind.

Not all new games are guilty and not all old games are innocent, but the point remains.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
cutekittenkyti post=6.72328.755967 said:
Yahtzee was being sarcastic when he said Twilight princess and sunshine were better then OoT and 64...

sheesh...

apparently
It's funny that people don't notice that right away. First I thought that he is serious but the Hitler commment proved it as you said but in the credits he said that he doesn't think that Hitler was right so maybe he was serious (of course he wasn't) with Mario Sunshine and Zelda Twilight Princess. Well who cares?

amodelmerol

Sep 10, 2008
Finally saw it, wasn't as hillarious as last week for me.

I have a friend who will curse yahtzee because of this (he's addicted to megaman 9 right now)

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I never played Bionic Commando when I was a child, but Retronauts made it sound cool so I got it. Mastering the controls took me all of 15 minutes so... The lives system however I agree with. Some levels are pretty fall-heavy (like the last level : /), and it was annoying to have to redo sections I had already mastered.

My biggest complaint is that it's too easy on Normal and too hard on Hard : /

I haven't played Castle Crashers, but those one-pixel-away swings are familiar to me ~~

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Rusman post=6.72328.755975 said:
rebochan post=6.72328.755962 said:

1st:- He said he like Earthbound because it was so different to most JRPG's with a funky storyline and all that.

2nd:- He said Sunshine was better than 64 not that he liked it.

3rd:- And yeah so what. Alot of people do that. I do it all the time.
You forgot to reference Mailbag Showdown. Your Troll Kill fizzles!
CaptainCrunch casts a spell!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/37-Mailbag-Showdown

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
NewClassic post=6.72328.755972 said:

I would disagree with this, mostly because I preferred Fallout 2 to its prequel, although the first was also good. Best game? Not so much.

broadband post=6.72328.755932 said:
i think so.
Well, that's depressing. Graphically it was stylish and a step in a new direction. Wouldn't say it was for the best, but it was still really nice. Did beautifully on the DS, as well.

What happened, man, your reviews suck. I could pull a better one out of my ass!
You'll have to excuse me for taking some liberties when correcting your grammar, but I tried to stay as true to content as I could.

That being said, this review was rather mundane when compared to some his others, but when referring just to the recent reviews, this one does a pretty clever job of staying on top of the game. Certainly still clever and entertaining, and worth the few minutes it took for me to watch it.

But, if you are persistent in trawling a superior review from your hind-quarters, I might make the suggestion of using spell-check, an editor, and a quick brushing up on your grammar [http://www.bartleby.com/141/].

Then, go ahead and post it up in the Review section [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/326]. Take your time, but I'll be waiting for it.
leave my grammar alone and why would i want to review a game I'd never play xbla is full of pointless garbage and and the point of my post was saying that his reviews have gone down hill

vlanitak

Sep 4, 2008
I am sorry ZP, even though the video was great, you lost the moment you mentioned hitler.

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
nostalgia is like stuffing your cheeks with cocain infused marbles in that it makes you say stupid tings.
god... you're some kind of god! Finlay someone gets it! On a side note I did like Ocarina of Time better than Twilight Princess. Probably just being sarcastic when supporting Hitler right after.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
tony2077 post=6.72328.756031 said:
leave my grammar alone and why would i want to review a game I'd never play xbla is full of pointless garbage and and the point of my post was saying that his reviews have gone down hill
Then why not just say "Your reviews have gone down-hill" instead of making elaborate jokes about how they have?

[sup]For those of you that have picked up on it, I'm very aware of the hypocrisy in this post, and my preview one. Think of the entire experience as something of social satire, especially from an internet's point of view.[/sup]

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Now we're getting back to the classic, hilarious, hate-filled Yahtzee. Great review. It's great to see that you're not losing your touch.

The Wrath of Arthas is coming... Can't wait!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Littaly post=6.72328.755862 said:
Oh my got you think Hitler was right? I thought you were stupid but not that stupid, how dare you even say such a thing?!

Dear Noob.
Read the dialog after the video and try not to make yourself sound like a twat with your next comment.

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
haruvister post=6.72328.755859 said:
You're right, Yahtzee, Fantasy World Dizzy isn't the best game ever. Treasure Island Dizzy is.
Why are you making me choose?! And no love for Magicland Dizzy?

Great review as usual. The Hitler line was the icing on a very funny cake.

Jarelk

Sep 24, 2008
Hey, I finally made an account. Loved the review Yahtzee! Though you talked a little too fast at some parts for me to understand, but I always watch them more then once anyway.

Shiuz91 post=6.72328.756081 said:

Dear Noob.
Read the dialog after the video and try not to make yourself sound like a twat with your next comment.
I think that guy was kidding.

Oh, and why do people think the "TP was better then OoT" was sarcastic? It wasn't, else it wouldn't fit in with the entire review.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Maybe people like retro gaming because it's harder. Games these days are too fucking EASY (except Ninja Gaiden, of course), because you can fit much more stuff onto a disc. Back in the old days, you couldn't fit as much onto a cartridge, so the designers had to extend gameplay time by making the games harder. Some gamers nowadays are looking for a bigger challenge, that's pretty much the entire reasoning behind the dreaded I Wanna Be The Guy.

And for the record, my favorite Zelda game is still Majora's Mask.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
lmao i loved the way you ended that one yahtzee XD
have you ever played streets of rage? thats a lot like golden axe, but the sexy woman in that has more clothes on... kinda :p

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Uhm, I could actually KILL for some good Jump&Runs like in the oldern day like Earthworm Jim, Super Mario Whatever, Jazz Jackrabbit etc. They were fucking fun.

The whole "3D"-thing still isn't out of it's teens yet. When you designed or programmed an old game and someone said "Hey I got an idea, why don't we let the guy poop everywhere he wants?" and the Programmers were like "Haha, I like that okay let's do it".
Now it'd be more like "Oh no... we would have to redesign all of the levels, model perfect poo, record all those new animations on our top-of-the-line motion-capturing system & whatever, let's leave it out instead".
See here for some examples why 3D isn't always better than 2D: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.65244
And they still can't make "unique-looking" buildings/landscapes etc. in 3D like they did with painted background, t'was just fucking amazing... they all look like Lego-blocks just dumped all over the map.

I think I'm one of the few people that would rather play a 2D-game with graphics from 1997-2001 instead of some "high-end" graphics-whore game that has all of those features Yahtzee praises so much like "accesibility for 4year olds+", "Hey let's make our game so that 4 year olds can play it!" "But it's Gears of War/Call of Duty/Bioshock... it's 18+" "Oh alright... but think about the mentally retarded or people that have to control the character with their feet".
It just fucking sucks, I either play a game like a movie (because I want to be captivated by the story and "feel" it like most RPGs & Adventures) or cause I want some challenge/some fun and outside of "Online Gaming" nowadays you could walk through all those games blindly and there's no punishment at all "Let's put you 2 steps and pat you on the head for how far you've come" WTF?

I fucking hate "Casual Gamers" and consoles, they are just ruining the games industry while making all of those companies that produce the same crap over and over again in pink rich and more corporate-y while the quality of the games sink like a bum with a stone at his feet falling off a bridge.

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
wow, Hitler probably oversaw the canning of this itw bitw project Navigation Prototype [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/09/eight-days-trailer-basic-navigation.html] on record and forgot not to upload it for all our nostalgic pleaure. Was he right? Hitler, I mean, to deprive us of something that actually looked like it might have played better than most games out there?

Ecco128

Jul 16, 2008
I'll give you Sunshine over 64, but while I did enjoy Twilight Princess, the lack of challenge really makes it tough for me to put it over OOT. I mean seriously, I stopped getting more heart pieces on purpose part way through the game, and still never feared for my life in any of the boss battles except for beast ganon, and that was only because I was hitting the buttons wrong, once I solved that problem that was cake too.

terminator44

Jul 24, 2008
It's a shame Yahtzee didn't wait until next week to do XBLA because Duke3D has just come out. I'd love to hear what he has to say about it.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
One man's poison is another man's wine; I LOVE Bionic Commando, the oringinal and the remake. That is one of the games that I played the most during the 8-bit era (I even played a lot during the 16-bit era). I love the swinging mechanics (it's all about the timing) and the remake actually improves on the original in that the levels are better layed out, more weapons and equipment, and last but not least, the soundtrack; the remixed music in this game just blew me away (those who've played the original as well as the remake know exactly what I'm talking about). Is it difficult? yes, very; but the remake got rid of some things that made the original EXTREMELY difficult (for example, you don't run out of continues). This is not a game for everyone though.

Stomp224

Oct 17, 2007
Haha, I personally think BC:R is a fantastic remake! The revamped soundtrack has been rocking my iPod since the OST was released, and some of those challenge rooms are demonically difficult!

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
It is quite obvious that with the final statement, Yahtzee admitted he was in fact being SARCASTIC ALL THE WAY THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE VIDEO.

:)

Honkytonk

Jul 30, 2008

Well congratulations my friend, you get the nostalgic nerd stamp, too!

Anyone knows that Sonic Adventure 2 was the BEST GAME EVAR!!! ;P

No, but I can't believe what he said about Hitler. I don't even know if I can trust that he was just joking. Either way it is a SERIOUS subject matter and nobody should dare to make fun of it!

Dustereg

Sep 17, 2008

read durring the credits my good fellow

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Advice for sponsor trailer makers: a sponsor trailer SHOULD NOT LAST LONGER THAN THE ACTUAL FEATURE IT WAS SPONSORING.

THAT IS PLAINLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Also, I think it should be clear to you by now that Yahtzee never has and never will care for another living being; he doesn't care about me, he doesn't care about you, and to be frank I'd be surprised if he's ever hugged his own mother. The fact of the matter is, if it isn't a game, food or something to pleasure him sexually, he will not care, so stop trying to adress him through here.

Entharion

Nov 13, 2007
Quicktime event: press Z to dodge sarcastic comments about hitler!

Cheesus333 post=6.72328.756316 said:
Advice for sponsor trailer makers: a sponsor trailer SHOULD NOT LAST LONGER THAN THE ACTUAL FEATURE IT WAS SPONSORING.

THAT IS PLAINLY UNACCEPTABLE.
fucking right! there is such a thing as over-advertising my dear Escapist.

Shephard

Sep 24, 2008
And in addition to the sarcasm clearly intended by the Hitler comment, it could also be explained in a less literal way, i.e. Hitler's political stance... Although that might be a bit far fetching ;-).

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Didn't someone get banned for a week for mentioning the Holocaust on these forums? Like Yahtzee they used it in a joke, but unlike Yahtzee, the person actually noted it as a bad thing.

Does that mean Yahtzee should get the banhammer for a week? o_o

johndmes

Jul 15, 2008
Just as a point of note...

The IS a actual reason for Bionic Commando to have a ives system...

Originally, it WAS a arcade game, from 1987. The NES version Yahtzee references was published a year later, and was treated as a "semi-sequel" to Commando.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando_(arcade_game)

LordJim

Sep 24, 2008
I finally have a beef with Yahtzee.

I'm much too pessimistic to say that we are constantly making forward progress in game design. Adventure games, space flight simulators did not die out because they are archaic game designs, they died out because the market is demanding homogeneous games that everyone can enjoy. Unfortunately, that means games are heading down a path of less variety and creativity. Games will be something that everyone likes, but no one loves. That's why games like Braid need to be embraced. They are specifically not made for everyone. Games that might offend somebody are a very good thing.

Unfortunately, there are two contrasting types of games. The kind that challenges the player, and the kind that merely entertains/relaxes. If you try to do both, you almost always fall flat on your face. As we get older, we have plenty of real life challenges to deal with on a day to day basis, and the job of a video game becomes more about a stress reliever. But when you are a kid and have no real challenges, a game like Braid or Bionic Commando can offer one. As the average age of gamers increases, the less of a challenge the perfect, homogeneous game can pose.

Yahtzee should just realize that he is in a place in his life where he doesn't appreciate extraneous challenges in his life. That doesn't mean today's 12 year old doesn't. I think a lot of people deep down realize that they have lost the ability to rise to the challenge that a lot of old games offered, and they judge those games all the more harshly for it.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
Spore Review<This Review, enough said. Well ok not enough said, but I will admit that Twilight Princess had an actual likable and usable side-character in Midna then that fucking annoying ass Navi would ever be. Beside that though, I think that Ocarina of Time had humor that seemed to flow among all the characters while Twilight had it stuck to Midna, so eh I explained that to all you various fanboys. "I thought Hitler was right!" half a second later. "I did not think Hitler was right -Phew-." made me chuckle consistently for a good minute.

Father2u

Sep 24, 2008
I believe the reason for the last line was so he could get some more hate mail.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
Father2u post=6.72328.756375 said:
I believe the reason for the last line was so he could get some more hate mail.
I believe a "No Shit?" is in order.

Shaamaan_Old

Sep 3, 2008
I agree with Yahtzee's review of Bionic Commando. People go all "ooo, aaa" about it, but it's just a terrible game (when judged by todays standards) dressed in some 3D graphics in a 2D world. This is clearly nothing more than a game for the fans. Let them have fun for all I care, but PLEASE, stop praising it like it's better than the modern games of our times!

EDIT: I can't say anything about the second game, since I haven't played it.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Joke or no joke, you just don't joke about anything like that.

I was going to write a similar joke as an example, about the events of 9/11, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Even if I'm rarely on these forums anymore and a ban wouldn't bother me, and if I was going to put "Just kidding" on the end, I couldn't do it. Yahtzee's a heartless bastard, I'm sorry.

WhiteHowl

Sep 18, 2008
I have a feeling that IHBT but, gotta disagree with that Zelda TP is better than OoT statement. OoT had some level of difficulty, TP was just piss-poor easy.

Jarelk post=6.72328.756139 said:
Hey, I finally made an account. Loved the review Yahtzee! Though you talked a little too fast at some parts for me to understand, but I always watch them more then once anyway.

Dear Noob.

Oh, and why do people think the "TP was better then OoT" was sarcastic? It wasn't, else it wouldn't fit in with the entire review.
When you follow it up with "I think Hitler was right," and the fact that it's always fun to piss off fanboys, you kinda get the feeling that the last line was only there to troll fanboys

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I had the exact opposite reaction playing Castle Crashers (or at least the demo). The characters were brightly colored which made the stand out. I was also really impressed by the fact the game didn't have the miss by two inches on the y axis thing. While that happened sometimes with magic, all my other attacks worked just fine.

Didn't run into problem with the bosses blocking my view either.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Anyone who didn't detect sarcasm on the Hitler line should be launched into the sun.

Feb 13, 2008
Uhm...I really hate to say this but Yahtzee does an Epic Fail.

Let's see why..

Bland Title bleurgh, but the outro was better.
Lots more bile, but almost totally misplaced.
Retracts some of his original statements.
Talks shit for no other reason than talking shit.
Surely the 'life' system is still in use...
Tyris Flare (Golden Axe) actually had reasonable chest size for an Amazon...despite the bikini....and was hardly less stereotypical than Ax Battler or Gilius.
Bionic Commando WAS released on the c64 and was bloody good.
Gauntlet (shown) didn't use lives but Health...
And making a 3d sideways scrolling beat-em up wouldn't work...because it's SIDEWAYS...like 1d axis...

Sorry Ben. Epic Fail this time. :(

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Pseudonym2 post=6.72328.756397 said:
I had the exact opposite reaction playing Castle Crashers (or at least the demo). The characters were brightly colored which made the stand out. I was also really impressed by the fact the game didn't have the miss by two inches on the y axis thing. While that happened sometimes with magic, all my other attacks worked just fine.

Didn't run into problem with the bosses blocking my view either.
I think this is one of the examples of Yahtzee not being "on the ball" with his review. Some of them, like Spore or EVE, he hits the nail on the head, but others, like this, I too would have to disagree. Galaxy is debatably more fun than 64 because it takes everything 64 did and made it bigger. Sunshine sucked pretty bad lol

Furious George

Sep 23, 2008
my friend who watched this with me thought he was serious witht hte whole hitler, so i locked him out of my room and told him to grow a brain

TheDean

Sep 12, 2008
i liked the lives system in Crash Bandcoot.

Also, remakes should be EXACTLY like the original.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Shaamaan post=6.72328.756382 said:
I agree with Yahtzee's review of Bionic Commando. People go all "ooo, aaa" about it, but it's just a terrible game (when judged by todays standards) dressed in some 3D graphics in a 2D world. This is clearly nothing more than a game for the fans. Let them have fun for all I care, but PLEASE, stop praising it like it's better than the modern games of our times!

EDIT: I can't say anything about the second game, since I haven't played it.
So you just agree with whatever Yahtzee says and claim other gamers are wrong for liking this game? Weak dude just plain weak. I've played Bionic Commando and it was a terrific game and I had none of the issues that Yahtzee had with it. So your going to mock me for having a different opinion?

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Furious George post=6.72328.756414 said:
my friend who watched this with me thought he was serious witht hte whole hitler, so i locked him out of my room and told him to grow a brain
Like I said, serious or not, you just don't joke about that sort of thing. I know he wasn't serious because he even said right after that he was kidding. But come on, you just don't do that.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
well, this was entertaining, and now I have a strange desire to watch American History X.

Must be the curve stomping & nazis.

.Ricks.

Sep 10, 2008
Loved this weeks review still the same humor the hitler thing did it for me i bursted laughing xD.

Vromnir

Sep 23, 2008
What? that comment made no sense.

Edit: this was meant to be for tony2077's comment to the person who challenged him to do a better review than Yahtzee. I just dont know how to reply to a post yet.

LordJim

Sep 24, 2008
Oh and if you call Golden Axe the closest relative to Castle Crashers, you have no business talking about the game at all. Ever hear of Guardian Heroes?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yadoso post=6.72328.756504 said:
Finally, someone who agrees that old games suck. Why play Super Mario Bros when I can play COD 4 or GTA IV? Doesn't make sense.

Also, fuck every Zelda game ever made. Including OoT. Boring drivel, remade and remade.
What a motherfucking Yahtzee fanboy. Yahtzee, if you are really proud of having a fan following of this then I expected something much higher from you mate.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Huh, so he really does just suck at games.

Anyway, what's with the people downplaying 2.5D? I mean come on, BCR is a 2D platformer WITH RAGDOLL! Makes it 100x more satisfying to throw someone or own them with a barrel. Still, 3D isn't automatically better than 2D and apparently "better graphics = WORSE GAME" to all these pretentious critics.

SlightlyEvil post=6.72328.756525 said:
Uh, Yahtzee. While I agree with your general point, I have three words for you: Art of Theft.
"Very much aware of the hypocrisy, thank you."

EDIT:

Oh yeah and he also fell in love with Braid. This guy doesn't know what he wants does he?

EOr

Jun 4, 2008
Old console games really don't stand the test of time, but some old PC games (as someone already mentioned, Fallout!) do a little better.

And speaking of PC games, Yahtzee, you need to get your hands on Sid Meier's remake of Colonization (don't know if it is out in Australia yet). You will REALLY have some fun tearing this one apart!

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Furious George post=6.72328.756414 said:
Hitler was right and wrong about many things, it's obviously an "I need more hatemail so I can complain about it next week" kinda thing.

OMG NAHTZEE GODWINS LAW!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico post=6.72328.756526 said:

Anyway, what's with the people downplaying 2.5D? I mean come on, BCR is a 2D platformer WITH RAGDOLL! Makes it 100x more satisfying to throw someone or own them with a barrel. Still, 3D isn't automatically better than 2D and apparently "better graphics = WORSE GAME" to all these pretentious critics.

Uh, Yahtzee. While I agree with your general point, I have three words for you: Art of Theft.
Admitting your hypocrisry doesn't make you less of a hypocrytic cock end.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
somerandomguy post=6.72328.756548 said:

Admitting your hypocrisry doesn't make you less of a hypocrytic cock end.
lol, just makes ya more arrogant I guess. I wasn't implying that he isn't one, he actually just knows he is.

I guess it's a requirement for when your job is to hate every game your employer buys you.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Yadoso post=6.72328.756504 said:
Finally, someone who agrees that old games suck. Why play Super Mario Bros when I can play COD 4 or GTA IV? Doesn't make sense.

Also, fuck every Zelda game ever made. Including OoT. Boring drivel, remade and remade.
GTA IV is nothing compared to Super Mario Bros (and I have GTA IV. Boring game). Super Mario Bros is awesome and I hate almost every Mario game. Most 2D games are better then most of the 3D games released in the last 7 years.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
YAHTZEE never played the NES. Wow i still have one in my room and play it occasionally. But he's right Mario Sunshine was way better than Mario 64

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006

EDIT:

Oh yeah and he also fell in love with Braid. This guy doesn't know what he wants does he?
You are missing his point. He is trying to point out that we hold classic games up on a pedestal simply because they were something we played in the past. Rather then really taking an objective approach to them. Not all classic games are bad, just like how not all new games are good. A poor design choice shouldn't be overlooked just because the game happens to be "classic". It's also perfectly fine to enjoy a game regardless.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
the ending was the best.

It seemed longer then most recent ones

keep that up yahtzee, before I bomb australia in protest

Vromnir

Sep 23, 2008
I had high hopes for today that it would be a good review, filled with the things that made most of Yahtzee's first revies great. Those hopes were beat up, tossed around the room, and shot with a cannon.

It seems like he is running out of ideas for his reviews, which seems impossible becouse there are more bad games coming out every week then there are good games coming out in a month. Why did he do retro games, when he often says that his favorite games are retro? I'm sure yahtzee could do an excelent review about the force unleashed, if only to play around with pictures about the force grip, or to gripe about how both of the endings killed the game.

If yahtzee was really bored, he could always smash up some random JRPG and it would be highly enjoyable. Maybe im just used to the quality of the old reviews(i watch my favorites every week, so no nostalga) and should take a break for a while.......

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Having read the comments resulting from this video, I feel dumber.

Was everyone oblivious to his point about RELATIVITY? ROSE-TINTED glasses? He likes Twilight Princess and Mario Sunshine because they WERE THE FIRST 3D GAMES IN THOSE SERIES HE PLAYED.

He then goes on to declare "ALSO HITLER WAS RIGHT" because Hitler was the FIRST CONQUERING FACIST he knew presumably, therefore IT MUST BE RIGHT, are you understanding the hypocrisy of loving your past so tightly now? He's being deliberately hypocritical to make a point, and people are STILL jumping down his throat, even with his two-seconds-later disclaimer. The point is that YOU LOVE YOUR PAST and therefore like things you've liked before. So companies make games that cash in on this.

Hell, I still love FFVII, and I know deep down than graphically it's poor, the villian is bland, the main character's a mess and sorting him out is more effort than it's worth, and most of the support cast are one-shtick stereotypes tucked into their own nice backstory that's usually mutually exclusive to everyone else. Yet it's still MY FAVOURITE and if they remade it flawlessly, preserving everything I loved from the first with shiny new graphics and the same old materia system minus the glitches, I would pay full price for it, because my perspective is skewed and I know it and enjoy it.

Also there's a ton of things about 2D/3D playspaces and 2D/3D graphics. Castle Crashers has 2D graphics and a 3D playspace (up into background/down into foreground, left/right, and jumping up/down, 3 axis, 3D). This results in the 2-pixel miss-wiggle nonsense that should've stopped with Golden Axe. Bionic Commando has 3D graphics and 2D gameplay (left/right, grapple up/down). What's the point of the wasteful 3D on bland 2D gameplay that has barely been refined? Giving nostalgia a fresh coat of paint. That's it. There's no other benefit except maybe to appease people who detest anything that looks old, in which case they'll probably hate it once they start playing it anyway.

Yahtzee has never been wrong - you just have to be on the same level of insane, ultra-self-aware, reflexive mentality as him to see why. Everything is wonderful and shiny, everything is made of shit. But I see very little wonderful and shiny in the forum posts above me, and now look what you've made me done. I've written a horrible, bitter little rant and now I'm one of you gibbering idiots claiming to understand what's going through Yahtzee's head. Fuck it. I have no clue, I just think he's got a point and here's my understanding of it. In his own words, if you don't like it, fuck off.

Cocks.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I agree that games only get better as time goes on and that we tend to think more fondly on our early gaming experiences regardless of their overall quality.

But coming from Yahtzee this is insanely hypocritical. Isn't he the one whining every week about how games get worse and worse and how everything new is shit and how great older games like Psychonauts and Prince of Persia are?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Great review Yahtzee but Hour Glass better than Ocarina of Time is bad english ...BAD YAHTZEE!

Also what is wrong with classic games, they were simple but the main thing is they were alot of fun. They also didn't have annoying little movies we couldn't skip and like you said in one of your earlier reviews, they had alot more imagination back then like a French Chief riding a prey mantis with a shot-gun that fires raptors!

I like how you use the face paint from Heath Ledgers Joker to describe dark things!

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
I laughed. Much better than the last video.

Castle Crashers was awesome, but I had all of the aforementioned problems.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
BobisOnlyBob post=6.72328.756626 said:
Having read the comments resulting from this video, I feel dumber.

Was everyone oblivious to his point about RELATIVITY? ROSE-TINTED glasses? He likes Twilight Princess and Mario Sunshine because they WERE THE FIRST 3D GAMES IN THOSE SERIES HE PLAYED.

He then goes on to declare "ALSO HITLER WAS RIGHT" because Hitler was the FIRST CONQUERING FACIST he knew presumably, therefore IT MUST BE RIGHT, are you understanding the hypocrisy of loving your past so tightly now? He's being deliberately hypocritical to make a point, and people are STILL jumping down his throat, even with his two-seconds-later disclaimer. The point is that YOU LOVE YOUR PAST and therefore like things you've liked before. So companies make games that cash in on this.

Hell, I still love FFVII, and I know deep down than graphically it's poor, the villian is bland, the main character's a mess and sorting him out is more effort than it's worth, and most of the support cast are one-shtick stereotypes tucked into their own nice backstory that's usually mutually exclusive to everyone else. Yet it's still MY FAVOURITE and if they remade it flawlessly, preserving everything I loved from the first with shiny new graphics and the same old materia system minus the glitches, I would pay full price for it, because my perspective is skewed and I know it and enjoy it.

Also there's a ton of things about 2D/3D playspaces and 2D/3D graphics. Castle Crashers has 2D graphics and a 3D playspace (up into background/down into foreground, left/right, and jumping up/down, 3 axis, 3D). This results in the 2-pixel miss-wiggle nonsense that should've stopped with Golden Axe. Bionic Commando has 3D graphics and 2D gameplay (left/right, grapple up/down). What's the point of the wasteful 3D on bland 2D gameplay that has barely been refined? Giving nostalgia a fresh coat of paint. That's it. There's no other benefit except maybe to appease people who detest anything that looks old, in which case they'll probably hate it once they start playing it anyway.

Yahtzee has never been wrong - you just have to be on the same level of insane, ultra-self-aware, reflexive mentality as him to see why. Everything is wonderful and shiny, everything is made of shit. But I see very little wonderful and shiny in the forum posts above me, and now look what you've made me done. I've written a horrible, bitter little rant and now I'm one of you gibbering idiots claiming to understand what's going through Yahtzee's head. Fuck it. I have no clue, I just think he's got a point and here's my understanding of it. In his own words, if you don't like it, fuck off.

Cocks.
Wow, I knew that yahtzee alwasy had fanboys but I didn't knew he had this many. This guy proves it when he says "Yahtzee has never been wrong". Sure you could alwasy agree with the guy but you can't just say the he's right and he's the "truth". Even I'm not this upset with this issue.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
yeah yahtzee may be funny but it seems like he just hates a lot of game for next to no reason

ps. you can come back and play mario, you really can't with gta4

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Twilight Princess was way too easy. But otherwise, you're right. Ocarina of time was worse.

And Sunshine lacked the subtleties that made platformers come together.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
sunshine was like 64 mashed with crap, overall the game was alright as a game it just wasn't a "mario" game

COR 2000

Jun 30, 2008
Vlane post=6.72328.755856 said:
I thought that Yahtzee is going to review Star Wars: The Force Unleashed but retro stuff is good too
I thought the same thing. Oh well...

niall27

Sep 24, 2008
Sorry mate but i really do think you have jumped the shark..

Ive been watching for about 2/3 months and although i shall keep coming back im just not laughing anymore mate

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
ZP was humorous at first, but at the moment it's no better than Joystiq and Kotaku: Snarky for the sake of being snarky, with no real humor or insightful criticism on offer.

Like Tommy Tallarico said. All the gaming journalists these days are always complaining and snarky because it gets the most hits and its easy to do. Game journalists need to do real actual research and journalism unlike this sensationlized crap Yahtzee is doing. Besides actually reviewing yahtzee is ranting and complaining besides supporting something with criticism. The gaming industry and journalism is falling because of this and thats why Yahtzee isn't even helping with his pessimism.

To all those Yahtzee is god fanboys, question what Yahtzee says and yourselves once in your life.

Cybergangster

Oct 18, 2007
niall27 post=6.72328.756834 said:
...im just not laughing anymore mate
Agreed - I've been following ZP pretty much from the start and the last few months haven't been up to standard - or maybe I'm just becoming decensitised?

I was amused by the Nintendo fanboy bait though ;)

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
Cybergangster post=6.72328.756888 said:
Agreed - I've been following ZP pretty much from the start and the last few months haven't been up to standard - or maybe I'm just becoming decensitised?
same. he used to be very funny, it kinda sucks how he's gotten repetitive and a cliche of himself.

Eiseman

Jul 23, 2008
Hmph, it had to happen at some point. If you base your job around hating popular things, your followers will end up doing the same thing. Then once you yourself become popular, they will begin to hate you.

The ultimate irony is that this is probably exactly what Yahtzee wants.

Shinkada

Mar 4, 2008
A bit funnier than usual, but more importantly, I love it when people wail on reminiscence in gaming.

To all the people inevitably defending Ocarina of Time: Stop being dickbags.

EDIT: The constant, and usual stream of people saying ZMG YATZEY U NOT FUNAY NEMORE has, for this episode only, gone from frustrating to hilarious because YOU'RE PROOVING THE EXACT POINT HE'S MENTIONING IN THE FUCKING VIDEO.

He isn't getting less funny, you twats have all just ruined it by quoting him five thousand times a day and thus becoming too used to his style. I, however, haven't been going around quoting him at every waking moment as if he was Monty Python, Maddox, Chapelle or anyone else nearly-ruined by constant quotation, and thus I still find him hilarious.

None to blame but yourselves.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
i don't hate him, i hate how it seems like recently he's being hating stuff and coming up with his standard insult without having any... i don't know passion. and no i don't quote him, quoting in general is lame ie. the simpsons

RussDCA

Nov 3, 2007
WTF have you guys done to these videos? The last three, I haven't been able to download & convert for my iPod making me a walking Escapist & Zero Punctuation advert.

And.. I really don't think an advert should more than double the video length.

And... Isn't it about time we had 640x480 videos?

..... Also... Yahtzee. You still rock though :-D

crazyforestgnome

Sep 24, 2008
I know - let's make controversial comments for the sake of it...Come on Yahtzee you used to be better than this.

Everyone knows Mario Sunshine was TERRIBLE! And as for insulting Ocarina of Time, the greatest game ever in the Zelda series...nonsense.

Sonic 2, far better than ANY 3D sonic game ever made since.

Retro games are still awesome!

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
I agree with Yahtzee, I'm sick of nostalgia and have been forever. I can blame Nintendo (It's all they ever do!) and its fans for that.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I would have thought he'd have taken this opportunity to bitchslap Lucasarts back to the stone age with The Force unleashed.

sfried

Dec 20, 2007
Vlane post=6.72328.756013 said:
cutekittenkyti post=6.72328.755967 said:

sheesh...

apparently
It's funny that people don't notice that right away. First I thought that he is serious but the Hitler commment proved it as you said but in the credits he said that he doesn't think that Hitler was right so maybe he was serious (of course he wasn't) with Mario Sunshine and Zelda Twilight Princess. Well who cares?
So, you mean his whole review is false then, and was only being sarcastic when he said Bionic Commando Rearmed was unfun?

Rockdrake

Aug 27, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=6.72328.757200 said:
I would have thought he'd have taken this opportunity to bitchslap Lucasarts back to the stone age with The Force unleashed.
He has next week to do that...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well... not bad. I actually agree that the controls of the arm in Bionic Commando could have been more intuitive.
Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed BCR from start to finish, even though, or perhaps because, it's just way more difficult than any AAA title released in the last few years. Yes, it gets frustrating, but on the other hand you actually get a feeling of achievement when you've beaten one particularly hard part etc... unlike many other current games that let you save everywhere and anywhere, refill your health if you cry long enough and so on.
The difficulty of BCR shouldn't become the norm, but I doubt that's going to happen, and in the current world of gaming, BCR was really refreshing for me.
I know nothing about Castle Crashers, so I'll skip that one ;)

Piston Effesca

Feb 17, 2008
I've been watching Yahtzee since he was a little dot on youtube. Hell, I used to read his reviews when he was just "that guy who makes the horror adventure games." And while I don't laugh at ZP anymore, I stopped laughing after the fourth episode. It's still entertaining, and I find his opinions are similar to mine and that's what counts. If it's not funny to you then I'm sorry, but I don't think complaining about it will do any good. Go find a new thing to watch on wednesdays.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Meh. Yahtzee, you seriously need a vacation, man. I hate to say it, but ZP is going downhill for the last few episodes. I didn't even smile at this one.

It's not about quoting Yahtzee to death, or getting used to his jokes. Hell, I was watching the series from the very first episodes, and it was awesome until a few weeks earlier. ZP had it's ups and downs, but this one is different. It's getting shallow and repetitive, with Yahtzee doing nothing but playing Captain Obvious and hating at the wrong direction. That Hitler "joke" wasn't funny at all, for example. Forced, bumpy and semi-boring, ZP is running out of juice fast.

You need a refill, Yahtzee, go have a brake for a few weeks, seriously. Yeah, we will miss the show for the time being, but it will be all for the better, and we'll get some good 'ol ZP power when you get back.

Riley_Tahn

Aug 27, 2008
Did anyone else catch the references to American History X? haha...
I think Yahtzee just saw that movie and liked it, what with all the hitler comments.
=]

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Every thread brings the haters, and the fanboys. And the people inbetween are lost in the cracks.

skoomaeater

Jul 29, 2008
By commenting on how retro games are (usually) of inferior quality to newer games hasn't Yahtzee given a reason for nintendo re-releasing mario and suck ilk over and over again?

Sure, I resent the fact that the Wii could have so many inventive titles on it and instead we get super home improvement mario or some other rubbish, but it also stands to reason that those who enjoyed mario will enjoy a better looking version with gameplay elements tweaked.

Of course, a direct port of a game that doesn't attempt to correct any of the inevitable flaws from the first should be persecuted and destroyed.

skoomaeater

Jul 29, 2008
Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757304 said:
Meh. Yahtzee, you seriously need a vacation, man. I hate to say it, but ZP is going downhill for the last few episodes. I didn't even smile at this one.

It's not about quoting Yahtzee to death, or getting used to his jokes. Hell, I was watching the series from the very first episodes, and it was awesome until a few weeks earlier. ZP had it's ups and downs, but this one is different. It's getting shallow and repetitive, with Yahtzee doing nothing but playing Captain Obvious and hating at the wrong direction. That Hitler "joke" wasn't funny at all, for example. Forced, bumpy and semi-boring, ZP is running out of juice fast.

You need a refill, Yahtzee, go have a brake for a few weeks, seriously. Yeah, we will miss the show for the time being, but it will be all for the better, and we'll get some good 'ol ZP power when you get back.
I think you are perhaps missing the point. Yahtzee is reviewing games - not producing a comedy series. While his general rantings are amusing he is first and foremost reviewing the game. I personally like to watch ZP to pick up on the stuff that IGN and the like miss out in their rantings about normal mapping, polygons and vertexes.

yruluis

Sep 24, 2008
Wow. Zero Punctuation has been going down hill and this video isn't helping one bit.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Maybe Hitler was right but personaly I would commit genocide upon the retarded before the Jewish. Damn those retards!!

yruluis

Sep 24, 2008
Or! He's running out of material. His earlier videos were funny but they aren't anymore plain and simple.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
ZerodMikestar post=6.72328.755912 said:
wow no, maybe I'll give you Sunshine over Mario 64 (and definitely galaxy over it)

but Twilight Princess over Ocarina of Time?...that's just ever so slightly categorically incorrect. there's an equation that proves it and everything

Ocarina = better than Twilight Princess. Simple. It had you as a bloody wolf for half the game and borrowed pretty much everything from Ocarina of time. eegads

rant over

funny chat today yahtzee, always hilarious calling children c*nts because they ARE
And if I bothered to, every single quote like this as well, so nothing personal, quoted guy:

I am prone to replay 1-player games. Take, for instance, Civilization, or Pokemon, or final fantasy n<14. If I felt like replaying any given Zelda game, they would be, in this order, TP, WW, OoT, LttP, PH (I haven't played/don't care about the others). Similarly, for Mario, they would be Galaxy, then Sunshine, then 64.
Why?
Good question. The answer lies in the point Yahtzee made and everyone who then whined about it missed: part of what made those games great was that they were the first to do what was in the later games. That's how time works. But if I wanted the Ocarina of Time experience, I'd play Twilight Princess, which does everything Oot does with better graphics and controls, more freedom in combat, and has the added wolf sections which, if I don't like them, do not actually take a long time. You HAD to be a wolf for about...5 extended periods of time or so. And all you had to do was collect little bugs, which I thought was fun, but for those who didn't, it shouldn't matter, because every single temple was still done in human form.
Similarly with Sunshine - the gameplay was cleaner than it was in 64, and all they did was tack on the water pistol, which, if you didn't like it, was often entirely unnecessary for more than half of the game. If that sounds familiar, you may have read the previous paragraph.
What I'm saying is that most games with sequels do not take anything out of the old game, but rather, just add more in. The experience is there, but so are some others being tried out to see how people like it.

In the case of sonic going 3d, it's understandable that people don't like the sequels because the actual intended gameplay is substantially different, not just the old stuff with better graphics and some new elements installed (which is what I hope Sonic Unleashed will be, though it may suck regardless).

So feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but I probably won't care, because I do understand the hypnotic power Pokemon red and Mario 64 have over me, in that I think they're more amazing than I should think by today's standards.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
So Yahtzee's main complaints about Bionic Commando: Rearmed are:
1. It's too hard.
2. The gameplay mechanics are too difficult to get used to.

Wow. AND he's never played the original... which was even more difficult than Rearmed by leagues. Also, I get the feeling that he never finished the game. I'm assuming this from the quote, "Strangely for a 2D platformer, you can't jump (at least from the start)." To me, that does not say, "I finished the game". That says, "I didn't even try".

I've been suspicious about his gaming credentials for some time now, but always just chalked it up to my imagination. Yahtzee, thank you for clearing up my doubts. You are indeed a pussy. Smug superiority only gets you somewhere when you're right. When you just can't hack it though, everyone notices.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
I'm starting to question Yahtzee's actual gaming abilities. It would seem that he sucks at everything where he can't re-spawn.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
skoomaeater post=6.72328.757360 said:
By commenting on how retro games are (usually) of inferior quality to newer games hasn't Yahtzee given a reason for nintendo re-releasing mario and suck ilk over and over again?
And yes. yes it does. Which makes me a little happy. You are entirely right and I agree with you wholeheartedly, except for the second post after the one I quoted (sort of), as I do expect Yahtzee to be a funny video game reviewer, because the only game reviewer I've ever truly trusted is myself. Though I found this one funny, possibly because I wasn't so shocked by his statements with regard to my earlier post.

And now my fingers hurt from typing.

DGenius

May 28, 2008
I am gonna go out on a limb and disagree with yahtzee. At least when it comes to bionic commando:rearmed. Say what you will about lives system but I actually like the fact that when you die you restart your mission. And the grappling hook is the best part of the game, and not complicated at all. Keep holding forward while swinging to swing forward, press down to get down. And considering thats it's been revamped it's a whole lot better. Usually I agree wholeheartedly with Yahtzee but this one game I cant.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
skoomaeater post=6.72328.757382 said:

I think you are perhaps missing the point. Yahtzee is reviewing games - not producing a comedy series. While his general rantings are amusing he is first and foremost reviewing the game. I personally like to watch ZP to pick up on the stuff that IGN and the like miss out in their rantings about normal mapping, polygons and vertexes.
Yahtzee doesn't "review" games he just rants about them to score cheap laughs and to recieve his paycheck. If he's intentionally tyring to creat drama with his reviews for "lulz" {I hate that "word"} than the man has stoop to a new low to becoming a troll and I never thought I would've say that considering how much of a fan I was for Yahtzee.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Why I essentially disagree with Yahtzee's blanket statement that retro games are bad: There are several games from the past which have never been done better since. The FPS/RTS gameplay of Battlezone, the all-encompassing space adventures of Frontier: Elite II, and my personal favourite example, the perfectly balanced, ostensibly simple but secretly strategic Spacewar!, where they managed to make a better multiplayer experience with a computer the power of which we could find in our modern digital watches than many games do today.

Slycne post=6.72328.756589 said:
You are missing his point. He is trying to point out that we hold classic games up on a pedestal simply because they were something we played in the past. Rather then really taking an objective approach to them. Not all classic games are bad, just like how not all new games are good. A poor design choice shouldn't be overlooked just because the game happens to be "classic". It's also perfectly fine to enjoy a game regardless.
Why I agree with Yahtzee's statement: Yes, it is an incorrect attitude to hold classic games up on a pedestal. That's precisely why I analyse and review old games, and I even went as far as to dig up a forty-seven year old game in order to give it a proper review (originally intended as a review that people couldn't ignore due to the audacity of the idea).

But I wasn't reviewing that game from the standpoint of nostalgia. I'm nineteen years old. Spacewar! was made almost thirty years before I was born. What nostalgia could exist there?

Feb 13, 2008
Rockdrake post=18.72328.757228 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=6.72328.757200 said:
He has next week to do that...
And seriously, it takes no effort to do that.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
144 post=6.72328.757452 said:

rant over

And if I bothered to, every single quote like this as well, so nothing personal, quoted guy:

I am prone to replay 1-player games. Take, for instance, Civilization, or Pokemon, or final fantasy n<14. If I felt like replaying any given Zelda game, they would be, in this order, TP, WW, OoT, LttP, PH (I haven't played/don't care about the others). Similarly, for Mario, they would be Galaxy, then Sunshine, then 64.
Why?
Good question. The answer lies in the point Yahtzee made and everyone who then whined about it missed: part of what made those games great was that they were the first to do what was in the later games. That's how time works. But if I wanted the Ocarina of Time experience, I'd play Twilight Princess, which does everything Oot does with better graphics and controls, more freedom and combat, and has the added wolf sections which, if I don't like them, do not actually take a long time. You HAD to be a wolf for about...5 extended periods of time or so. And all you had to do was collect little bugs, which I thought was fun, but for those who didn't, it shouldn't matter, because every single temple was still done in human form.
Similarly with Sunshine - the gameplay was cleaner than it was in 64, and all they did was tack on the water pistol, which, if you didn't like it, was often entirely unnecessary for more than half of the game. If that sounds familiar, you may have read the previous paragraph.
What I'm saying is that most games with sequels do not take anything out of the old game, but rather, just add more in. The experience is there, but so are some others being tried out to see how people like it.

In the case of sonic going 3d, it's understandable that people don't like the sequels because the actual intended gameplay is substantially different, not just the old stuff with better graphics and some new elements installed (which is what I hope Sonic Unleashed will be, though it may suck regardless).

So feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but I probably won't care, because I do understand the hypnotic power Pokemon red and Mario 64 have over me, in that I think they're more amazing than I should think by today's standards.
I peronally found Twilight Princess to be more linear and repetive compared to Ocarina of Time's varied and non linear gameplaye. Same thing with Super Mario 64 with Sunshine except Sunshine seemed very unpolished. I don't think a game establishing what was new back then has nothing to do what someone likes more.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Like you said, ZP jumped the shark with the new intro sequence. I'm really sorry, but it did.
The only thing I laughed at was the imp dressed in the mother's clothes, only because I remember the first appearance of the imp in The Darkness Demo review waaaay back on YouTube.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
somerandomguy post=6.72328.757497 said:

Yahtzee doesn't "review" games he just rants about them to score cheap laughs and to recieve his paycheck. If he's intentionally tyring to creat drama with his reviews for "lulz" {I hate that "word"} than the man has stoop to a new low to becoming a troll and I never thought I would've say that considering how much of a fan I was for Yahtzee.
@somerandomguy
No. Yahtzee is not a generic sell-out comedian. He used to be really original, amusing and funny. Just go watch his earlier reviews, like Resident Evil 4, Bioshock, or Witcher. It's solid gold! Also...

@skoomaeater
Again, no. Yahtzee is not reviewing games as "objectively showcasing a game to the audience", he is hating on them in a humorous way, and as such, he is creating comedy. Yahtzee is first and foremost and entertainer, not a hard-hat journalist. Go read some PC Word or Chip Magazine, that is reviewing and journalism. ZP? ZP is the awesome....or it used to be anyway. :/

Looks like it's Yahtzee himself who started missing the point...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757607 said:
somerandomguy post=6.72328.757497 said:

@somerandomguy
No. Yahtzee is not a generic sell-out comedian. He used to be really original, amusing and funny. Just go watch his earlier reviews, like Resident Evil 4, Bioshock, or Witcher. It's solid gold! Also...

@skoomaeater
Again, no. Yahtzee is not reviewing games as "objectively showcasing a game to the audience", he is hating on them in a humorous way, and as such, he is creating comedy. Yahtzee is first and foremost and entertainer, not a hard-hat journalist. Go read some PC Word or Chip Magazine, that is reviewing and journalism. ZP? ZP is the awesome....or it used to be :/
I know his old videos were hilarious and he made valid points in those, but he did sell out bnow when he became more famous. He doesn't create any valid criticism anymore.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
RAKtheUndead post=6.72328.757511 said:
Why I essentially disagree with Yahtzee's blanket statement that retro games are bad: There are several games from the past which have never been done better since. The FPS/RTS gameplay of Battlezone, the all-encompassing space adventures of Frontier: Elite II, and my personal favourite example, the perfectly balanced, ostensibly simple but secretly strategic Spacewar!, where they managed to make a better multiplayer experience with a computer the power of which we could find in our modern digital watches than many games do today.

Slycne post=6.72328.756589 said:
Why I agree with Yahtzee's statement: Yes, it is an incorrect attitude to hold classic games up on a pedestal. That's precisely why I analyse and review old games, and I even went as far as to dig up a forty-seven year old game in order to give it a proper review (originally intended as a review that people couldn't ignore due to the audacity of the idea).

But I wasn't reviewing that game from the standpoint of nostalgia. I'm nineteen years old. Spacewar! was made almost thirty years before I was born. What nostalgia could exist there?
Exactly! Exactly! Gaming is gaming no matter when a particular title was released. Having better graphics doesn't make a game automatically good and having poor graphics doesn't automatically make the game obsolete. To get Socratic here, all games are shadows of that elusive form of gameplay. Some are better at it than others... but age does not matter one whit. This is the reason people play classic games: the gameplay is solid and stands the test of time. Ever wonder why there's no State of Emergency (PS2) subculture out there? The game blew and will be forgotten, except as an exceptionally horrible game like ET.

Personally, I never owned the original Bionic Commando and I never finished it until I started playing Rearmed. I gotta say... good gameplay is good gameplay no matter what it looks like. Both games are awesome... and that's not nostalgia speaking.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
somerandomguy post=6.72328.757572 said:
I peronally found Twilight Princess to be more linear and repetive compared to Ocarina of Time's varied and non linear gameplaye. Same thing with Super Mario 64 with Sunshine except Sunshine seemed very unpolished. I don't think a game establishing what was new back then has nothing to do what someone likes more.
In what way was OoT not linear? First was the tree temple, then you went to the castle, then you went to the next temple, got the next stone thingy, went to the next temple, and so on.

And as unpolished as you may think sunshine was (whatever you mean by unpolished), there were plenty of ways in which 64 would seem even less polished, possibly owing to that "64" part.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Tattaglia post=6.72328.757600 said:
Like you said, ZP jumped the shark with the new intro sequence. I'm really sorry, but it did.
The only thing I laughed at was the imp dressed in the mother's clothes, only because I remember the first appearance of the imp in The Darkness Demo review waaaay back on YouTube.
Glad I'm not the only one who hates the intro/outro sequences. I always mute 'em. That generic rock crap is irritating as hell. I miss the music clips that were, in and of themselves, comments on the games.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
144 post=6.72328.757631 said:
In what way was OoT not linear? First was the tree temple, then you went to the castle, then you went to the next temple, got the next stone thingy, went to the next temple, and so on.
You COULD take the temples out of order... get certain items earlier than you were supposed to... etc. etc.

In Twilight Princess, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you can't even visit places out of order... there are barriers in place to prevent you from doing so...

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
OuroborosChoked post=6.72328.757646 said:
144 post=6.72328.757631 said:
You COULD take the temples out of order... get certain items earlier than you were supposed to... etc. etc.

In Twilight Princess, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you can't even visit places out of order... there are barriers in place to prevent you from doing so...
Sure, sure. But of course, unless they read something saying they could do otherwise, I imagine the vast, vast, vast majority went in the order intended. I mean, I could theoretically make the same case for Sunshine, saying that it was possible to get into one of the later levels before even clearing out the goop in the middle of the plaza at the start of the game that leads to the first level, thus clearing the way for other levels and ultimately allowing one to do the 1st level way, way later.
But I won't argue that that adds to non linearity (it was already somewhat nonlinear anyway), because that was (a) not something any one did on their first (and usually only) playthrough, and it was (b) not something the developers intended. I assume.

You even say yourself "earlier than you were SUPPOSED TO," implying that you already realized the developers didn't plan for people to go out of order when you did it yourself.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
somerandomguy post=6.72328.757619 said:
I know his old videos were hilarious and he made valid points in those, but he did sell out bnow when he became more famous. He doesn't create any valid criticism anymore.
No, I really don't think you are on the right track here. Yahtzee "sold out" at the time he joined the crew of the Escapist, from then on the magazine pays for his games and gives him his paycheck. That was even before the episodes you mentioned you actually like.

I think Yahtzee is simply suffering from the comedian type of Writer's Block. He is out of fuel and ZP is running on fumes only for the last few eps. I see he is desperatly trying to come up with new stuff, but he somehow misses the funny. The treatment for this is a long vacation, to get away from ZP for a while. Just look a while back, when he went to the Valve HQ, after he got back ZP reignited with a huge amount of funny. I think this would be the right thing to do now.

@OuroborosChoked
Exactly my thoughts. Graphics are no way to measure a game. Overlord was awesome with it's mediocre but cheesy graphics, and Far Cry (and it's kind) had awesome looks but sucked in every other way imaginable. That goes for older games too, even abandonware and old-console games.

If you have fun playing a game, that's all that counts. Methinks.

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
Aren't the ridiculously long arguments every Zero Punctuation Episode inspires getting a little boring by now?

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008
1. It's too hard.
1: Not really
2: That's normally a valid complaint but sometimes it isn't and if I don't explain everyone's going to flock to one or two examples where it isn't. If learning the mechanics of the game is not supposed to be part of the challenge that is a valid complaint. And he's complaining about unecisary complications that do nothing but make you pissed. Unless you consider remembering to press A again to let go is a decent challenge once you're used it in which case I must play you at a game that's out of your element so I can inflate my own ego.
Wow. AND he's never played the original... which was even more difficult than Rearmed by leagues. Also, I get the feeling that he never finished the game. I'm assuming this from the quote, "Strangely for a 2D platformer, you can't jump (at least from the start)." To me, that does not say, "I finished the game". That says, "I didn't even try".
I wouldn't play through more than the start of a fighting game where the mechanic for throwing a hit (any hit, and yes I mean the basic ones. and I mean the hitting itself, not the mechanics surrounding it) takes getting used to and until then makes you die every 10 seconds and then turns into a minor annoyance.

Also, to all of those pissed at him saying Hitler was right, in my opinion when you're kidding there is no line that can't be crossed.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757683 said:
@OuroborosChoked
Exactly my thoughts. Graphics are no way to measure a game. Overlord was awesome with it's mediocre but cheesy graphics, and Far Cry (and it's kind) had awesome looks but sucked in every other way imaginable. That goes for older games too, even abandonware and old-console games.

Yeah, well, while you can't actually measure a game by its graphics, they definitely help sway your opinion. I mean, if galaxy had sub-par graphics, I'd have had a worse experience playing it, however slight. And there are definitely games which I feel like I might have enjoyed substantially more if only the graphics weren't so goddamn blocky.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
yourkie1921 post=6.72328.757709 said:
Also, to all of those pissed at him saying Hitler was right, in my opinion when you're kidding there is no line that can't be crossed.
Unless you're talking to a fat girl, or a girl on her...nevermind.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
An amusing video, nostalgia is a funny thing. Best not to look into the past or you realise how crappy it was!!

Oh, and on the current conversation that seems to have popped up. I wouldn't say yatzee has sold out so much as he simply has a job... as far as I know, all the videos hosted on this site have been paid for by The Escapist, as Playbshnosh says.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Also, the rest of the good games are waiting for the holidays. I imagine Yahtzee's gaming options are even worse because of the whole Australia problem as well.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757683 said:
somerandomguy post=6.72328.757619 said:
No, I really don't think you are on the right track here. Yahtzee "sold out" at the time he joined the crew of the Escapist, from then on the magazine pays for his games and gives him his paycheck. That was even before the episodes you mentioned you actually like.

I think Yahtzee is simply suffering from the comedian type of Writer's Block. He is out of fuel and ZP is running on fumes only for the last few eps. I see he is desperatly trying to come up with new stuff, but he somehow misses the funny. The treatment for this is a long vacation, to get away from ZP for a while. Just look a while back, when he went to the Valve HQ, after he got back ZP reignited with a huge amount of funny. I think this would be the right thing to do now.

@OuroborosChoked

Far Cry was an excellent game along with Crytek's other game Crysis, Doom 3 sucked balls.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
yourkie1921 post=6.72328.757709 said:
1. It's too hard.
1: Not really
2: That's normally a valid complaint but sometimes it isn't and if I don't explain everyone's going to flock to one or two examples where it isn't. If learning the mechanics of the game is not supposed to be part of the challenge that is a valid complaint. And he's complaining about unecisary complications that do nothing but make you pissed. Unless you consider remembering to press A again to let go is a decent challenge once you're used it in which case I must play you at a game that's out of your element so I can inflate my own ego.
I wouldn't play through more than the start of a fighting game where the mechanic for throwing a hit (any hit, and yes I mean the basic ones. and I mean the hitting itself, not the mechanics surrounding it) takes getting used to and until then makes you die every 10 seconds and then turns into a minor annoyance.

The Yahtzee fanboys with the Zero Punctuation and Yahtzee avatars are easily the best yahtzee fanboys.

Edit: I'm so sorry I called you and stereo typed as a fanboy, I'm really becoming overly frustrated over yahtzee.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
144 post=6.72328.757739 said:
Also, the rest of the good games are waiting for the holidays. I imagine Yahtzee's gaming options are even worse because of the whole Australia problem as well.
That's why I suggested that vacation thing. No better time than the pre-holiday season, when nothing noteworthy (or hateworthy for that matter) comes out. It will do good, I'm sure.

144 said:
Yeah, well, while you can't actually measure a game by its graphics, they definitely help sway your opinion. I mean, if galaxy had sub-par graphics, I'd have had a worse experience playing it, however slight. And there are definitely games which I feel like I might have enjoyed substantially more if only the graphics weren't so goddamn blocky.
Right, but what I meant was, you can't jugde a game by it's grapics only. Maybe I have problems dealing with change, getting old and stuff, but I'm not willing to accept the the current trend of "if it looks awesome, it's Da Game". I grew up on NES and Commodore games, and graphics didn't really matter then, you just had to fill in the blanks with your imagination, and I still have that skill. Sadly, kids nowdays don't. They require the whole game experience presented to them on a silver platter, they don't want to use their imaginations anymore, and that's sad.

Hell, I still play obscure games like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, just to giggle at the wisecracking mercs and stomp stuff with a seven story high monster, graphics be damned.

somerandomguy said:
Far Cry was an excellent game along with Crytek's other game Crysis, Doom 3 sucked balls.
Yeah, that too.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
144 post=6.72328.757739 said:
Not bloody likely. Both Microsoft and Sony know they need to net the world on this one. 3 major universal releases each.

At least I hope so. JB Hi-Fi has been showing off Resistance 2 since before the box art was even decided on, so I hope they've got a release date.

Badabinski

May 7, 2008
This is the best review ever simply for the "Hitler was right" comment. Fell out of my chair at that one.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757819 said:
That's why I suggested that vacation thing. No better time than the pre-holiday season, when nothing noteworthy (or hateworthy for that matter) comes out. It will do good, I'm sure.
Meh. Maybe. But then my Wednesdays would suck even more. And I have some pretty shitty Wednesdays.

Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757819 said:
Right, but what I mean was, you can't jugde a game by it's grapics only. Maybe I have problems dealing with change, getting old and stuff, but I'm not willing to accept the the current trend of "if it looks awesome, it's Da Game". I grew up on NES and Commodore games, and graphics didn't really matter then, you just had to fill in the blanks with your imagination, and I still have that skill. Sadly, kids nowdays don't. They require the whole game experience presented to them on a silver platter, they don't want to use their imaginations anymore, and that's sad.

Hell, I still play obscure games like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, just to giggle at the wisecracking mercs and stomp stuff with a seven story high monster, graphics be damned.
And I grew up with SNES and up, with a bit of NES because my best friend was less wealthy than me when we were 6 (give or take). And I still play Space Station Silicon Valley because I think it's hilarious and fun. But naturally, if SSSV also had great graphics and fewer glitches, it would be that much better. I never said graphics make the game, in fact I said that that's not the case. I was in agreement.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
Instead of random crap like this, review something worthwhile like Mount&Blade. :(

Also, Majora's Mask and WW were far more amusing than OoT for me. But then I actually liked the sailing.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
I only played the first and A Link To The Past, and I leave it at that. I don't want to ruin the awesome experience that was Zelda to me.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
I found it quite amusing. I don't know if it's better or worse than his old ones, but I do know that I laughed several times, particularly at the "identical midget twins" part.
It was enjoyable. That's what matters.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
WhiteHowl post=6.72328.756390 said:
I have a feeling that IHBT but, gotta disagree with that Zelda TP is better than OoT statement. OoT had some level of difficulty, TP was just piss-poor easy.

Jarelk post=6.72328.756139 said:

Dear Noob.

When you follow it up with "I think Hitler was right," and the fact that it's always fun to piss off fanboys, you kinda get the feeling that the last line was only there to troll fanboys
So are you calling me the fanboy?

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I must say Yahtzee seemed extremely angry in this review (more than usual) I wonder what's up. I was also expecting him to do TFU, but i guess he'll do that next week.

Bin Laden

Aug 23, 2008
ive got the world record on challenge 24 in bionic commando- which is the only one i tried. nobody will ever come close to it. i am the superior gamer, pussies.

Rosshooton1

Sep 25, 2008
Hurrah,yet another informative video from Yahtzee. I salute his choice at looking at some of the lesser known games, perhaps this will attract new people to the particularly underrated medium of games. hopefully he will take a look at fallout, but it is pretty much the same as oblivion. Strip down the nuclear war and it its pretty much the same game just with fewer buildings to worry about designing. Little point in reviewing it as he essentially already has done.
o and the cake is a lie

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
juraigamer post=6.72328.755857 said:

Completely agree.

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008
What'd you rather? I prefer the health bars.......and possibly the hide behind cover system at the same time as long as you're not spending all of your time sucking your thumb waiting for your health to recover and enemies advance often enough where you won't heal a lot mid-fight. But the lives system can go to hell.

bittman

Sep 11, 2008
That's all good and well, but really: Pretty Colours > Gameplay > Bad Gameplay > Shades of Brown and Grey.

Health bars and lives (le gasp) will work where they are needed. Lives are only useless in games that are big and where finishing the story is secondary to the accomplishment of actually beating the game in a sitting. If the game can't be beat in one sitting, then lives are pointless. Time Crisis comes to mind when I think of proper use of lives...Mario games definitely not so much...

HEY BEN! SEE YOU IN NOVEMBER AT THE YOU KNOW WHAT/WHERE/WHY/ and how. Got that game designers job yet?

Stcb

Sep 25, 2008
144 post=6.72328.757452 said:

rant over

Why?
Good question. The answer lies in the point Yahtzee made and everyone who then whined about it missed: part of what made those games great was that they were the first to do what was in the later games. That's how time works. But if I wanted the Ocarina of Time experience, I'd play Twilight Princess, which does everything Oot does with better graphics and controls, more freedom in combat, and has the added wolf sections which, if I don't like them, do not actually take a long time. You HAD to be a wolf for about...5 extended periods of time or so. And all you had to do was collect little bugs, which I thought was fun, but for those who didn't, it shouldn't matter, because every single temple was still done in human form.

I created an account to specifically reply to this post. That's probably not relevant, though.

If I wanted to replay Super Mario 64, I'd replay Super Mario 64. Why? Well, maybe because Sunshine had so many flaws that the original never even had to address, such as a ridiculously easy story, an even more uncooperative camera, a tacked-on gameplay mechanic (the infamous "water pistol) that is never fully realized, just plain boring level design, etc. etc. Twilight Princess falls into the same trap, considering it's basically a retelling of a story that I have played far too much, except without the difficulty, the fantastic level design, or the absence of wolves (seriously, did anybody like those sections?) I hate to say it, but I disagree with Yahtzee. He tries to stick the nostalgia label on any classic gamer, even if the gamer hasn't even played the game before. For example, I bought Ninja Gaiden II for sixty USD last week, and have yet to enjoy a single minute of it, yet Blackthorne, the "edgy" Prince of Persia clone I downloaded for free due to its abandonware status remains my primary game at the moment. Why? Honestly, I don't give a shit about the graphics, the sound, the characters, or the story as long as it controls well and is fun to play. I can name about six games on the Xbox 360 that accomplish this, two on the Wii, and one on the PS3. Too selective? Maybe, but I still have more fun playing Earthbound than I do with games like Ninja Gaiden II, which is quickly becoming my eternal example as a "style over substance" game.

As far as the post I quoted goes, whatever small advantage Twilight Princess gains over Ocarina of Time by emphasizing its laughable "cinematic" story is lost the second I walked into the first temple and instantly recognized it as a mixture between the Forest Temple and Inside the Deku Tree. At least Wind Waker tried a new art style to hide the similarities. So, yeah, I guess I'm looking for originality in the games I buy. If you're going to repackage the same game over and over, at least make sure to indicate as which on the damn cover.

P.S.: Yahtzee, if I wanted to watch a character get developed, I'd read a goddamn novel. Seeing generic video game character X turn into Hero Stereotype #1313 isn't exactly my idea of fun. Hell, I can only think of two games that have stories I'd qualify as "good", and that's the Legacy of Kain series along with Max Payne. If you're looking for an excellent story in a fighting game, perhaps you're not reviewing the right genre. Stay out of things you don't understand. After all, it's not the genre's fault it's not appealing to twitch gamers such as yourself. (Note: not hating on twitch gamers)

Stelman257

Apr 5, 2008
You know he's right. If you play Twilight Princess BEFORE you play Orcana of Time (Like i did) you will find TP to be better. Simply put it's newer and i never new that the gameplay was borrowing from OOT.
Either was as technology advances games get better and the older games are left in the dust, regardless of what hardcore fans say.

Also loved the Hitler comments. Especially since i've done history on WW2 and know what your talking about. Everyone else look it up on Wikipedia.

Stcb

Sep 25, 2008
Stelman257 post=6.72328.758257 said:
You know he's right. If you play Twilight Princess BEFORE you play Orcana of Time (Like i did) you will find TP to be better. Simply put it's newer and i never new that the gameplay was borrowing from OOT.
Either was as technology advances games get better and the older games are left in the dust, regardless of what hardcore fans say.

Also loved the Hitler comments. Especially since i've done history on WW2 and know what your talking about. Everyone else look it up on Wikipedia.
No, I don't know he's right. Perhaps he (and you) should play the series in the order it's supposed to be played (or maybe not anymore. Nintendo probably doesn't want you to notice the huge similarities), then you might be able to see where I'm coming from. Plus, most of the flaws associated with Twilight Princess could be sensed by anyone with half-a-brain. Coming off Okami, the dungeons were stiff and extremely linear, something I thought was addressed in the latter half of Wind Waker. Twilight Princess isn't just mediocre compared to Ocarina of Time, it's just a repetitive gaming experience all the way throughout. It also sort of seems paradoxical for Nintendo to shunt out the "hardcore" gamers, who, in truth, were the only people who actually bought the GameCube and made it so they didn't drop out last gen.

AshR1

Sep 25, 2008
I love XBLA for the "nostalga".

And it's funny this is up today as I set up my Commodore 64 last night on a 42" LCD, looks great compared to the 15" CRT Tv I used to play on in the late 80s.

I've been toting it around for the last few years and thought I should check it still runs... and it does :) yay for Old School Gaming

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
WHO THE FRAK is that guy that's always there - with the hair and the monty python stuff coming out of his head?!?!?

And the only thing I disagreed with about this was him NOT ranting about enemy long-range attacks in Castle Crashers. That's the one thing that made me want to find the game and jump up and down on its case breaking it.

Alas, no case - but the virtual stomping happened - and I liked it, too!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
yourkie1921 post=6.72328.758127 said:
What'd you rather? I prefer the health bars.......and possibly the hide behind cover system at the same time as long as you're not spending all of your time sucking your thumb waiting for your health to recover and enemies advance often enough where you won't heal a lot mid-fight. But the lives system can go to hell.
I still prefer the fusion bhetween the two that we got in Resistance and Condemend 2.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Anyone who didn't laugh at AT LEAST a couple of those lines is trying not to laugh, simple as that.

Duraji

Aug 14, 2008
I liked the faces when he mentioned Castle Crashers having a "dark" sense of humor... WHY SO SERIOUS??!

Stcb

Sep 25, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=6.72328.758493 said:
yourkie1921 post=6.72328.758127 said:
I still prefer the fusion bhetween the two that we got in Resistance and Condemend 2.
I prefer that system. If you like it, try out Chronicles of Riddick, which is actually a good game.

bw

Sep 25, 2008
Edable Giraffe post=6.72328.755903 said:
What was the Hitler comment at the end all about? lol
I must agree. Up until now I thought you were one of the most intelligent people on this planet. Then you make a shitty comment like "Hitler was right". What was that for? That was not funny. That was not cool. When did you become Mel Gibson. If you said it for any other reason other than you thought it was funny it makes you are horrible excuse for a human being, and yes, if anyone who heard it thought it was funny, you are an asshole too.

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
Best review since the Mailbag Showdown. Not only did he deliver crisp, sharp-as-knives criticism and wit he also raised very good points about how nostalgia can cloud our better judgment towards video games.

Excellent job, man! :D

bw post=6.72328.758610 said:
Edable Giraffe post=6.72328.755903 said:
What was the Hitler comment at the end all about? lol
I must agree. Up until now I thought you were one of the most intelligent people on this planet. Then you make a shitty comment like "Hitler was right". What was that for? That was not funny. That was not cool. When did you become Mel Gibson. If you said it for any other reason other than you thought it was funny it makes you are horrible excuse for a human being, and yes, if anyone who heard it thought it was funny, you are an asshole too.
Hey, man! Being an asshole isn't an easy job. It's not like you can just make up a smarmy remark and sell it to the people. You have to deliver with just the right tone and at the appropriate time. Also, it needs to be something original yet totally, totally true.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
somerandomguy post=6.72328.756678 said:
Wow, I knew that yahtzee alwasy had fanboys but I didn't knew he had this many. This guy proves it when he says "Yahtzee has never been wrong". Sure you could alwasy agree with the guy but you can't just say the he's right and he's the "truth". Even I'm not this upset with this issue.
Let me reword it then, because I'm not completely stupid and I don't take everything at face value:

I have never disagreed with him, even when he has said things contrary to my beliefs.

I play Super Smash Bros Brawl. Just because he hated on it (with a resounding 'Ehhh') doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing it. But every single point he made against it was valid, correct, and showed things about the game in a way a regular reviewer would be hard-pressed to do.

He's no god. He's just louder, has a unique reviewing style, and knows what the fuck he's on about. The result is, he's the best damn reviewer online and practically the only one I trust for an honest opinion unfettered by editors, money, or other bullshit, and equally not having the ability to hide behind anonymity. Everyone knows he's Ben Croshaw, British expat living in Australia, wears a trilby hat, etc. etc. He's a public figure, he's not afraid to speak his mind, and I've never found a reason to strongly disagree with him about much.

People who continue to bicker over which 3d Zelda and which 3d Mario are superior, feel free too, but you're missing the point of why he mentioned them.

DtheHut

Sep 25, 2008
Megaman1222 post=6.72328.755879 said:
I... I'm at a loss for words on this one. I personally thought Wind Waker was the best of the Legend of Zelda series, or at least tying up with Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. Ocarina of Time, to me at least, was a large and very resounding "decent."

Totally freaking agree on that one. Windwaker took the series into an artistic realm that it hadn't been to in a long time. It sounded good, and it played flawlessly. I really liked ZOoT as well, perhaps more than ZTP. But I do agree with Yahtzee on Mario 64 versus Sunshine. People were put off by the water gun for some reason... As if it were a huge stretch for a plumber who was last seen jumping into paintings and was no stranger to dressing up like a raccoon so he could fly to suddenly don a super soaker and clean graffiti so magic star-children would return to a tropical island inhabited by pear-people.

P.S. Hitler? Really?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I didn't enjoy that particular video, I found it rather dull, though I agree strongly with his assessment of Castle Crashers and BC:Rearmed.

I think near the end, he just started calling things terrible to see if he could piss off some more people and it shows.
That was probably the point... but, I don't go for that sort of humor.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Yahtzee has just cursed the name of Zelda, this blasphemist must be purged.....

Obviously Yahtzee was joking about the whole Hitler thing, but still... its not funny yahtzee!

MattClassic

Feb 21, 2008
Another entertaining and informative review, but I have to admit that I'm kinda bummed you didn't review TFU.

As for the games: Castle Crashers looks like a lot of fun and it's made by the same people that did Alien Hominid, so I'll probably be getting it at some point. Bionic Commando... meh, I thought the grappling hook mechanic was clunky and unintuitive the first time I played it back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and it doesn't appear anything in that regard has been changed for the remake.

Archedgar

May 7, 2008
Pfft, Ocarina of Time sucks, you should have played A Link to the Past.

Good review even though I had only ever heard of Bionic Commando a LONG time ago and even then it wasn't that popular.

Yahtzee should stick to popular games so I can at least have heard of them, I was sort of expecting him to have reviewed warhammer, what with the MASSIVE hype it has been receiving.