Zero Punctuation: XBLA Double Bill

Honkytonk

Jul 30, 2008
mensaap post=6.72328.755918 said:
well yathzee u obviously haven't played fallout

cause that game still beats every other game anytime, that's made in this day and age! (except maybe team fortress 2)
Well congratulations my friend, you get the nostalgic nerd stamp, too!

Anyone knows that Sonic Adventure 2 was the BEST GAME EVAR!!! ;P

No, but I can't believe what he said about Hitler. I don't even know if I can trust that he was just joking. Either way it is a SERIOUS subject matter and nobody should dare to make fun of it!

Dustereg

Sep 17, 2008
Littaly post=6.72328.755862 said:
Oh my got you think Hitler was right? I thought you were stupid but not that stupid, how dare you even say such a thing?!

Seriously though, way better than last week's video :D
read durring the credits my good fellow

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Advice for sponsor trailer makers: a sponsor trailer SHOULD NOT LAST LONGER THAN THE ACTUAL FEATURE IT WAS SPONSORING.

THAT IS PLAINLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Also, I think it should be clear to you by now that Yahtzee never has and never will care for another living being; he doesn't care about me, he doesn't care about you, and to be frank I'd be surprised if he's ever hugged his own mother. The fact of the matter is, if it isn't a game, food or something to pleasure him sexually, he will not care, so stop trying to adress him through here.

Entharion

Nov 13, 2007
Quicktime event: press Z to dodge sarcastic comments about hitler!

Cheesus333 post=6.72328.756316 said:
Advice for sponsor trailer makers: a sponsor trailer SHOULD NOT LAST LONGER THAN THE ACTUAL FEATURE IT WAS SPONSORING.

THAT IS PLAINLY UNACCEPTABLE.
fucking right! there is such a thing as over-advertising my dear Escapist.

Shephard

Sep 24, 2008
And in addition to the sarcasm clearly intended by the Hitler comment, it could also be explained in a less literal way, i.e. Hitler's political stance... Although that might be a bit far fetching ;-).

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Didn't someone get banned for a week for mentioning the Holocaust on these forums? Like Yahtzee they used it in a joke, but unlike Yahtzee, the person actually noted it as a bad thing.

Does that mean Yahtzee should get the banhammer for a week? o_o

johndmes

Jul 15, 2008
Just as a point of note...

The IS a actual reason for Bionic Commando to have a ives system...

Originally, it WAS a arcade game, from 1987. The NES version Yahtzee references was published a year later, and was treated as a "semi-sequel" to Commando.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando_(arcade_game)

LordJim

Sep 24, 2008
I finally have a beef with Yahtzee.

I'm much too pessimistic to say that we are constantly making forward progress in game design. Adventure games, space flight simulators did not die out because they are archaic game designs, they died out because the market is demanding homogeneous games that everyone can enjoy. Unfortunately, that means games are heading down a path of less variety and creativity. Games will be something that everyone likes, but no one loves. That's why games like Braid need to be embraced. They are specifically not made for everyone. Games that might offend somebody are a very good thing.

Unfortunately, there are two contrasting types of games. The kind that challenges the player, and the kind that merely entertains/relaxes. If you try to do both, you almost always fall flat on your face. As we get older, we have plenty of real life challenges to deal with on a day to day basis, and the job of a video game becomes more about a stress reliever. But when you are a kid and have no real challenges, a game like Braid or Bionic Commando can offer one. As the average age of gamers increases, the less of a challenge the perfect, homogeneous game can pose.

Yahtzee should just realize that he is in a place in his life where he doesn't appreciate extraneous challenges in his life. That doesn't mean today's 12 year old doesn't. I think a lot of people deep down realize that they have lost the ability to rise to the challenge that a lot of old games offered, and they judge those games all the more harshly for it.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
Spore Review<This Review, enough said. Well ok not enough said, but I will admit that Twilight Princess had an actual likable and usable side-character in Midna then that fucking annoying ass Navi would ever be. Beside that though, I think that Ocarina of Time had humor that seemed to flow among all the characters while Twilight had it stuck to Midna, so eh I explained that to all you various fanboys. "I thought Hitler was right!" half a second later. "I did not think Hitler was right -Phew-." made me chuckle consistently for a good minute.

Shaamaan_Old

Sep 3, 2008
I agree with Yahtzee's review of Bionic Commando. People go all "ooo, aaa" about it, but it's just a terrible game (when judged by todays standards) dressed in some 3D graphics in a 2D world. This is clearly nothing more than a game for the fans. Let them have fun for all I care, but PLEASE, stop praising it like it's better than the modern games of our times!

EDIT: I can't say anything about the second game, since I haven't played it.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Joke or no joke, you just don't joke about anything like that.

I was going to write a similar joke as an example, about the events of 9/11, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Even if I'm rarely on these forums anymore and a ban wouldn't bother me, and if I was going to put "Just kidding" on the end, I couldn't do it. Yahtzee's a heartless bastard, I'm sorry.

WhiteHowl

Sep 18, 2008
I have a feeling that IHBT but, gotta disagree with that Zelda TP is better than OoT statement. OoT had some level of difficulty, TP was just piss-poor easy.

Jarelk post=6.72328.756139 said:
Hey, I finally made an account. Loved the review Yahtzee! Though you talked a little too fast at some parts for me to understand, but I always watch them more then once anyway.

Shiuz91 post=6.72328.756081 said:
Littaly post=6.72328.755862 said:
Oh my got you think Hitler was right? I thought you were stupid but not that stupid, how dare you even say such a thing?!

Seriously though, way better than last week's video :D
Dear Noob.
Read the dialog after the video and try not to make yourself sound like a twat with your next comment.
I think that guy was kidding.

Oh, and why do people think the "TP was better then OoT" was sarcastic? It wasn't, else it wouldn't fit in with the entire review.
When you follow it up with "I think Hitler was right," and the fact that it's always fun to piss off fanboys, you kinda get the feeling that the last line was only there to troll fanboys

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I had the exact opposite reaction playing Castle Crashers (or at least the demo). The characters were brightly colored which made the stand out. I was also really impressed by the fact the game didn't have the miss by two inches on the y axis thing. While that happened sometimes with magic, all my other attacks worked just fine.

Didn't run into problem with the bosses blocking my view either.