Zero Punctuation: XBLA Double Bill

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
somerandomguy post=6.72328.756548 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico post=6.72328.756526 said:
Huh, so he really does just suck at games.

Anyway, what's with the people downplaying 2.5D? I mean come on, BCR is a 2D platformer WITH RAGDOLL! Makes it 100x more satisfying to throw someone or own them with a barrel. Still, 3D isn't automatically better than 2D and apparently "better graphics = WORSE GAME" to all these pretentious critics.

SlightlyEvil post=6.72328.756525 said:
Uh, Yahtzee. While I agree with your general point, I have three words for you: Art of Theft.
"Very much aware of the hypocrisy, thank you."
Admitting your hypocrisry doesn't make you less of a hypocrytic cock end.
lol, just makes ya more arrogant I guess. I wasn't implying that he isn't one, he actually just knows he is.

I guess it's a requirement for when your job is to hate every game your employer buys you.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Yadoso post=6.72328.756504 said:
Finally, someone who agrees that old games suck. Why play Super Mario Bros when I can play COD 4 or GTA IV? Doesn't make sense.

Also, fuck every Zelda game ever made. Including OoT. Boring drivel, remade and remade.
GTA IV is nothing compared to Super Mario Bros (and I have GTA IV. Boring game). Super Mario Bros is awesome and I hate almost every Mario game. Most 2D games are better then most of the 3D games released in the last 7 years.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ElArabDeMagnifico post=6.72328.756526 said:
Huh, so he really does just suck at games.

Anyway, what's with the people downplaying 2.5D? I mean come on, BCR is a 2D platformer WITH RAGDOLL! Makes it 100x more satisfying to throw someone or own them with a barrel. Still, 3D isn't automatically better than 2D and apparently "better graphics = WORSE GAME" to all these pretentious critics.

SlightlyEvil post=6.72328.756525 said:
Uh, Yahtzee. While I agree with your general point, I have three words for you: Art of Theft.
"Very much aware of the hypocrisy, thank you."

EDIT:

Oh yeah and he also fell in love with Braid. This guy doesn't know what he wants does he?
You are missing his point. He is trying to point out that we hold classic games up on a pedestal simply because they were something we played in the past. Rather then really taking an objective approach to them. Not all classic games are bad, just like how not all new games are good. A poor design choice shouldn't be overlooked just because the game happens to be "classic". It's also perfectly fine to enjoy a game regardless.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
the ending was the best.

It seemed longer then most recent ones

keep that up yahtzee, before I bomb australia in protest

Vromnir

Sep 23, 2008
I had high hopes for today that it would be a good review, filled with the things that made most of Yahtzee's first revies great. Those hopes were beat up, tossed around the room, and shot with a cannon.

It seems like he is running out of ideas for his reviews, which seems impossible becouse there are more bad games coming out every week then there are good games coming out in a month. Why did he do retro games, when he often says that his favorite games are retro? I'm sure yahtzee could do an excelent review about the force unleashed, if only to play around with pictures about the force grip, or to gripe about how both of the endings killed the game.

If yahtzee was really bored, he could always smash up some random JRPG and it would be highly enjoyable. Maybe im just used to the quality of the old reviews(i watch my favorites every week, so no nostalga) and should take a break for a while.......

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Having read the comments resulting from this video, I feel dumber.

Was everyone oblivious to his point about RELATIVITY? ROSE-TINTED glasses? He likes Twilight Princess and Mario Sunshine because they WERE THE FIRST 3D GAMES IN THOSE SERIES HE PLAYED.

He then goes on to declare "ALSO HITLER WAS RIGHT" because Hitler was the FIRST CONQUERING FACIST he knew presumably, therefore IT MUST BE RIGHT, are you understanding the hypocrisy of loving your past so tightly now? He's being deliberately hypocritical to make a point, and people are STILL jumping down his throat, even with his two-seconds-later disclaimer. The point is that YOU LOVE YOUR PAST and therefore like things you've liked before. So companies make games that cash in on this.

Hell, I still love FFVII, and I know deep down than graphically it's poor, the villian is bland, the main character's a mess and sorting him out is more effort than it's worth, and most of the support cast are one-shtick stereotypes tucked into their own nice backstory that's usually mutually exclusive to everyone else. Yet it's still MY FAVOURITE and if they remade it flawlessly, preserving everything I loved from the first with shiny new graphics and the same old materia system minus the glitches, I would pay full price for it, because my perspective is skewed and I know it and enjoy it.

Also there's a ton of things about 2D/3D playspaces and 2D/3D graphics. Castle Crashers has 2D graphics and a 3D playspace (up into background/down into foreground, left/right, and jumping up/down, 3 axis, 3D). This results in the 2-pixel miss-wiggle nonsense that should've stopped with Golden Axe. Bionic Commando has 3D graphics and 2D gameplay (left/right, grapple up/down). What's the point of the wasteful 3D on bland 2D gameplay that has barely been refined? Giving nostalgia a fresh coat of paint. That's it. There's no other benefit except maybe to appease people who detest anything that looks old, in which case they'll probably hate it once they start playing it anyway.

Yahtzee has never been wrong - you just have to be on the same level of insane, ultra-self-aware, reflexive mentality as him to see why. Everything is wonderful and shiny, everything is made of shit. But I see very little wonderful and shiny in the forum posts above me, and now look what you've made me done. I've written a horrible, bitter little rant and now I'm one of you gibbering idiots claiming to understand what's going through Yahtzee's head. Fuck it. I have no clue, I just think he's got a point and here's my understanding of it. In his own words, if you don't like it, fuck off.

Cocks.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I agree that games only get better as time goes on and that we tend to think more fondly on our early gaming experiences regardless of their overall quality.

But coming from Yahtzee this is insanely hypocritical. Isn't he the one whining every week about how games get worse and worse and how everything new is shit and how great older games like Psychonauts and Prince of Persia are?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Great review Yahtzee but Hour Glass better than Ocarina of Time is bad english ...BAD YAHTZEE!

Also what is wrong with classic games, they were simple but the main thing is they were alot of fun. They also didn't have annoying little movies we couldn't skip and like you said in one of your earlier reviews, they had alot more imagination back then like a French Chief riding a prey mantis with a shot-gun that fires raptors!

I like how you use the face paint from Heath Ledgers Joker to describe dark things!

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
I laughed. Much better than the last video.

Castle Crashers was awesome, but I had all of the aforementioned problems.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
yeah yahtzee may be funny but it seems like he just hates a lot of game for next to no reason

ps. you can come back and play mario, you really can't with gta4

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
sunshine was like 64 mashed with crap, overall the game was alright as a game it just wasn't a "mario" game

COR 2000

Jun 30, 2008
Vlane post=6.72328.755856 said:
I thought that Yahtzee is going to review Star Wars: The Force Unleashed but retro stuff is good too
I thought the same thing. Oh well...