Zero Punctuation: XBLA Double Bill

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
144 post=6.72328.757631 said:
In what way was OoT not linear? First was the tree temple, then you went to the castle, then you went to the next temple, got the next stone thingy, went to the next temple, and so on.
You COULD take the temples out of order... get certain items earlier than you were supposed to... etc. etc.

In Twilight Princess, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you can't even visit places out of order... there are barriers in place to prevent you from doing so...

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
OuroborosChoked post=6.72328.757646 said:
144 post=6.72328.757631 said:
In what way was OoT not linear? First was the tree temple, then you went to the castle, then you went to the next temple, got the next stone thingy, went to the next temple, and so on.
You COULD take the temples out of order... get certain items earlier than you were supposed to... etc. etc.

In Twilight Princess, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you can't even visit places out of order... there are barriers in place to prevent you from doing so...
Sure, sure. But of course, unless they read something saying they could do otherwise, I imagine the vast, vast, vast majority went in the order intended. I mean, I could theoretically make the same case for Sunshine, saying that it was possible to get into one of the later levels before even clearing out the goop in the middle of the plaza at the start of the game that leads to the first level, thus clearing the way for other levels and ultimately allowing one to do the 1st level way, way later.
But I won't argue that that adds to non linearity (it was already somewhat nonlinear anyway), because that was (a) not something any one did on their first (and usually only) playthrough, and it was (b) not something the developers intended. I assume.

You even say yourself "earlier than you were SUPPOSED TO," implying that you already realized the developers didn't plan for people to go out of order when you did it yourself.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
somerandomguy post=6.72328.757619 said:
I know his old videos were hilarious and he made valid points in those, but he did sell out bnow when he became more famous. He doesn't create any valid criticism anymore.
No, I really don't think you are on the right track here. Yahtzee "sold out" at the time he joined the crew of the Escapist, from then on the magazine pays for his games and gives him his paycheck. That was even before the episodes you mentioned you actually like.

I think Yahtzee is simply suffering from the comedian type of Writer's Block. He is out of fuel and ZP is running on fumes only for the last few eps. I see he is desperatly trying to come up with new stuff, but he somehow misses the funny. The treatment for this is a long vacation, to get away from ZP for a while. Just look a while back, when he went to the Valve HQ, after he got back ZP reignited with a huge amount of funny. I think this would be the right thing to do now.

@OuroborosChoked
Exactly my thoughts. Graphics are no way to measure a game. Overlord was awesome with it's mediocre but cheesy graphics, and Far Cry (and it's kind) had awesome looks but sucked in every other way imaginable. That goes for older games too, even abandonware and old-console games.

If you have fun playing a game, that's all that counts. Methinks.

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
Aren't the ridiculously long arguments every Zero Punctuation Episode inspires getting a little boring by now?

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008
So Yahtzee's main complaints about Bionic Commando: Rearmed are:
1. It's too hard.
2. The gameplay mechanics are too difficult to get used to.
1: Not really
2: That's normally a valid complaint but sometimes it isn't and if I don't explain everyone's going to flock to one or two examples where it isn't. If learning the mechanics of the game is not supposed to be part of the challenge that is a valid complaint. And he's complaining about unecisary complications that do nothing but make you pissed. Unless you consider remembering to press A again to let go is a decent challenge once you're used it in which case I must play you at a game that's out of your element so I can inflate my own ego.
Wow. AND he's never played the original... which was even more difficult than Rearmed by leagues. Also, I get the feeling that he never finished the game. I'm assuming this from the quote, "Strangely for a 2D platformer, you can't jump (at least from the start)." To me, that does not say, "I finished the game". That says, "I didn't even try".
I wouldn't play through more than the start of a fighting game where the mechanic for throwing a hit (any hit, and yes I mean the basic ones. and I mean the hitting itself, not the mechanics surrounding it) takes getting used to and until then makes you die every 10 seconds and then turns into a minor annoyance.

Also, to all of those pissed at him saying Hitler was right, in my opinion when you're kidding there is no line that can't be crossed.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757683 said:
@OuroborosChoked
Exactly my thoughts. Graphics are no way to measure a game. Overlord was awesome with it's mediocre but cheesy graphics, and Far Cry (and it's kind) had awesome looks but sucked in every other way imaginable. That goes for older games too, even abandonware and old-console games.

If you have fun playing a game, that's all that counts. Methinks.
Yeah, well, while you can't actually measure a game by its graphics, they definitely help sway your opinion. I mean, if galaxy had sub-par graphics, I'd have had a worse experience playing it, however slight. And there are definitely games which I feel like I might have enjoyed substantially more if only the graphics weren't so goddamn blocky.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
yourkie1921 post=6.72328.757709 said:
Also, to all of those pissed at him saying Hitler was right, in my opinion when you're kidding there is no line that can't be crossed.
Unless you're talking to a fat girl, or a girl on her...nevermind.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
An amusing video, nostalgia is a funny thing. Best not to look into the past or you realise how crappy it was!!

Oh, and on the current conversation that seems to have popped up. I wouldn't say yatzee has sold out so much as he simply has a job... as far as I know, all the videos hosted on this site have been paid for by The Escapist, as Playbshnosh says.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Also, the rest of the good games are waiting for the holidays. I imagine Yahtzee's gaming options are even worse because of the whole Australia problem as well.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
144 post=6.72328.757739 said:
Also, the rest of the good games are waiting for the holidays. I imagine Yahtzee's gaming options are even worse because of the whole Australia problem as well.
That's why I suggested that vacation thing. No better time than the pre-holiday season, when nothing noteworthy (or hateworthy for that matter) comes out. It will do good, I'm sure.

144 said:
Yeah, well, while you can't actually measure a game by its graphics, they definitely help sway your opinion. I mean, if galaxy had sub-par graphics, I'd have had a worse experience playing it, however slight. And there are definitely games which I feel like I might have enjoyed substantially more if only the graphics weren't so goddamn blocky.
Right, but what I meant was, you can't jugde a game by it's grapics only. Maybe I have problems dealing with change, getting old and stuff, but I'm not willing to accept the the current trend of "if it looks awesome, it's Da Game". I grew up on NES and Commodore games, and graphics didn't really matter then, you just had to fill in the blanks with your imagination, and I still have that skill. Sadly, kids nowdays don't. They require the whole game experience presented to them on a silver platter, they don't want to use their imaginations anymore, and that's sad.

Hell, I still play obscure games like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, just to giggle at the wisecracking mercs and stomp stuff with a seven story high monster, graphics be damned.

somerandomguy said:
Far Cry was an excellent game along with Crytek's other game Crysis, Doom 3 sucked balls.
Yeah, that too.

Badabinski

May 7, 2008
This is the best review ever simply for the "Hitler was right" comment. Fell out of my chair at that one.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757819 said:
That's why I suggested that vacation thing. No better time than the pre-holiday season, when nothing noteworthy (or hateworthy for that matter) comes out. It will do good, I'm sure.
Meh. Maybe. But then my Wednesdays would suck even more. And I have some pretty shitty Wednesdays.

Playbahnosh post=6.72328.757819 said:
Right, but what I mean was, you can't jugde a game by it's grapics only. Maybe I have problems dealing with change, getting old and stuff, but I'm not willing to accept the the current trend of "if it looks awesome, it's Da Game". I grew up on NES and Commodore games, and graphics didn't really matter then, you just had to fill in the blanks with your imagination, and I still have that skill. Sadly, kids nowdays don't. They require the whole game experience presented to them on a silver platter, they don't want to use their imaginations anymore, and that's sad.

Hell, I still play obscure games like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, just to giggle at the wisecracking mercs and stomp stuff with a seven story high monster, graphics be damned.
And I grew up with SNES and up, with a bit of NES because my best friend was less wealthy than me when we were 6 (give or take). And I still play Space Station Silicon Valley because I think it's hilarious and fun. But naturally, if SSSV also had great graphics and fewer glitches, it would be that much better. I never said graphics make the game, in fact I said that that's not the case. I was in agreement.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
Instead of random crap like this, review something worthwhile like Mount&Blade. :(

Also, Majora's Mask and WW were far more amusing than OoT for me. But then I actually liked the sailing.