Zero Punctuation: XBLA Double Bill

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
WHO THE FRAK is that guy that's always there - with the hair and the monty python stuff coming out of his head?!?!?

And the only thing I disagreed with about this was him NOT ranting about enemy long-range attacks in Castle Crashers. That's the one thing that made me want to find the game and jump up and down on its case breaking it.

Alas, no case - but the virtual stomping happened - and I liked it, too!

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Anyone who didn't laugh at AT LEAST a couple of those lines is trying not to laugh, simple as that.

Duraji

Aug 14, 2008
I liked the faces when he mentioned Castle Crashers having a "dark" sense of humor... WHY SO SERIOUS??!

Stcb

Sep 25, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=6.72328.758493 said:
yourkie1921 post=6.72328.758127 said:
What'd you rather? I prefer the health bars.......and possibly the hide behind cover system at the same time as long as you're not spending all of your time sucking your thumb waiting for your health to recover and enemies advance often enough where you won't heal a lot mid-fight. But the lives system can go to hell.
I still prefer the fusion bhetween the two that we got in Resistance and Condemend 2.
I prefer that system. If you like it, try out Chronicles of Riddick, which is actually a good game.

bw

Sep 25, 2008
Edable Giraffe post=6.72328.755903 said:
What was the Hitler comment at the end all about? lol
I must agree. Up until now I thought you were one of the most intelligent people on this planet. Then you make a shitty comment like "Hitler was right". What was that for? That was not funny. That was not cool. When did you become Mel Gibson. If you said it for any other reason other than you thought it was funny it makes you are horrible excuse for a human being, and yes, if anyone who heard it thought it was funny, you are an asshole too.

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
Best review since the Mailbag Showdown. Not only did he deliver crisp, sharp-as-knives criticism and wit he also raised very good points about how nostalgia can cloud our better judgment towards video games.

Excellent job, man! :D

bw post=6.72328.758610 said:
Edable Giraffe post=6.72328.755903 said:
What was the Hitler comment at the end all about? lol
I must agree. Up until now I thought you were one of the most intelligent people on this planet. Then you make a shitty comment like "Hitler was right". What was that for? That was not funny. That was not cool. When did you become Mel Gibson. If you said it for any other reason other than you thought it was funny it makes you are horrible excuse for a human being, and yes, if anyone who heard it thought it was funny, you are an asshole too.
Hey, man! Being an asshole isn't an easy job. It's not like you can just make up a smarmy remark and sell it to the people. You have to deliver with just the right tone and at the appropriate time. Also, it needs to be something original yet totally, totally true.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
somerandomguy post=6.72328.756678 said:
Wow, I knew that yahtzee alwasy had fanboys but I didn't knew he had this many. This guy proves it when he says "Yahtzee has never been wrong". Sure you could alwasy agree with the guy but you can't just say the he's right and he's the "truth". Even I'm not this upset with this issue.
Let me reword it then, because I'm not completely stupid and I don't take everything at face value:

I have never disagreed with him, even when he has said things contrary to my beliefs.

I play Super Smash Bros Brawl. Just because he hated on it (with a resounding 'Ehhh') doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing it. But every single point he made against it was valid, correct, and showed things about the game in a way a regular reviewer would be hard-pressed to do.

He's no god. He's just louder, has a unique reviewing style, and knows what the fuck he's on about. The result is, he's the best damn reviewer online and practically the only one I trust for an honest opinion unfettered by editors, money, or other bullshit, and equally not having the ability to hide behind anonymity. Everyone knows he's Ben Croshaw, British expat living in Australia, wears a trilby hat, etc. etc. He's a public figure, he's not afraid to speak his mind, and I've never found a reason to strongly disagree with him about much.

People who continue to bicker over which 3d Zelda and which 3d Mario are superior, feel free too, but you're missing the point of why he mentioned them.

DtheHut

Sep 25, 2008
NewClassic post=6.72328.755892 said:
Megaman1222 post=6.72328.755879 said:
for a second I thought he said wind waker was better then OoT, and thought he must have been on crack while playing that one
I... I'm at a loss for words on this one. I personally thought Wind Waker was the best of the Legend of Zelda series, or at least tying up with Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. Ocarina of Time, to me at least, was a large and very resounding "decent."

Why do people hate on Wind Waker so much, was it the cel-shading?
Totally freaking agree on that one. Windwaker took the series into an artistic realm that it hadn't been to in a long time. It sounded good, and it played flawlessly. I really liked ZOoT as well, perhaps more than ZTP. But I do agree with Yahtzee on Mario 64 versus Sunshine. People were put off by the water gun for some reason... As if it were a huge stretch for a plumber who was last seen jumping into paintings and was no stranger to dressing up like a raccoon so he could fly to suddenly don a super soaker and clean graffiti so magic star-children would return to a tropical island inhabited by pear-people.

P.S. Hitler? Really?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I didn't enjoy that particular video, I found it rather dull, though I agree strongly with his assessment of Castle Crashers and BC:Rearmed.

I think near the end, he just started calling things terrible to see if he could piss off some more people and it shows.
That was probably the point... but, I don't go for that sort of humor.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Yahtzee has just cursed the name of Zelda, this blasphemist must be purged.....

Obviously Yahtzee was joking about the whole Hitler thing, but still... its not funny yahtzee!

MattClassic

Feb 21, 2008
Another entertaining and informative review, but I have to admit that I'm kinda bummed you didn't review TFU.

As for the games: Castle Crashers looks like a lot of fun and it's made by the same people that did Alien Hominid, so I'll probably be getting it at some point. Bionic Commando... meh, I thought the grappling hook mechanic was clunky and unintuitive the first time I played it back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and it doesn't appear anything in that regard has been changed for the remake.

Archedgar

May 7, 2008
Pfft, Ocarina of Time sucks, you should have played A Link to the Past.

Good review even though I had only ever heard of Bionic Commando a LONG time ago and even then it wasn't that popular.

Yahtzee should stick to popular games so I can at least have heard of them, I was sort of expecting him to have reviewed warhammer, what with the MASSIVE hype it has been receiving.

MrLefty

Sep 25, 2008
Nicely done, Yahtzee. Again.

Meanwhile, time to have a go at Force Unleashed for all its horrible, horrible design decisions, don't you reckon? Before the title's undeserved success encourages other developers to copy them?

Watching those smarmy gits congratulate themselves on Star Wars fanboys' inability to resist a story about Darth Vader even if the gameplay is linear, the deaths are cheap, the controls are wonky, boss battles involve quick time events, and the star destroyer scene is a complete abomination against God... well, it brought a tear to my eye. And a sinking feeling to my stomach.

Hopefully it'll bring another first-class ZP on the subject next week.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Most people hate quick time events because more often than not they are either unnecessary or covering up a design flaw.

Good return to form after last week's review, though I do enjoy playing the occasional "nostalgic game" with my friends. Still, I realize that Yahtzee doesn't particularly care for this type of gameplay.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I can't be sure of this, but I think the reason Rearmed is 2D-in-3D is because the same company is making a new Bionic Commando game in 3D, and Rearmed is using the same engine. Gives them an opportunity to show it off etc : P

Yathzee's reviews are a little hard to understand at times. Frantic speed combined with not always crystal-clear sarcasm explains at least half of the angry posts here.

So basically what he says is that a lot of old games look better to us simply because they are classic to us and that the concepts of those games may or may not have been improved upon in newer games.

Yathzee has his own problem with nostalgia with Painkiller for example. Seldom have I played such an unsatifying game. I'd rather play Invasion in UT : P

icnfde

Dec 27, 2007
I don't know... it seems like you missed the mark with this one. You could have nailed Castle Crashers with it's HUGE multiplayer connection problems (being an Aussie yourself I figured that would have been the first thing you commented on, I haven't been able to connect to an online game since I bought it two weeks ago), but instead you went for the nostalgia angle.

After your Spore review (soooooooo many issues you could have brought up with that game...) it's making me wonder if you're even playing these games at all or just browsing through them without a care in the world in hopes you'll find something to make a joke about.